Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Delete that spoiler, it really doesn't need it. You already have one sort of built-in.

These pics look better than that first one we saw.

Wood looks good inside. But what's with the *huge* seams where the door meets the dash? You could store an umbrella in there.

Too bad the dash isn't lit up, you can't see much of it.

-juice
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Is probably not all closed
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I think we have a winner on our hands fellas. Definitely the best looking luxury sedan besides the E class. Good looking car from every angle unlike some of the competition. I can't wait to see this baby at New York.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    WOW!!! Awesome!!! Love the exterior looks and the interior looks pretty good, though not very exciting. What's up with the gauges and why does it look like some numbers are missing?? Oh well, WINNER!!!
    Quality is key. The wood is awesome. There is no clutter in the cock pit. Understated sophistication is what I would call it.
    I totally agree with you! The wood looks awesome, but for the beige interior I would've preferred the wood that they use in the Q45's beige interior: Bird's Eye Maple! The dash looks very well organized, but I would've liked a little bit more inspiration. A let boxy interior design would've done the trick. Still, that's only a VERY, VERY small complaint. Otherwise, I am LOVING the car!!! :)
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Well, this is certainly interesting. This is certainly one design I want to see in person before coming down one way or another... That said:

Interior: Looks good, especially the wood. It's simple and understated, a dramatic difference from the billions of buttons that characterize most Euro and Japanese designs right now. Two gripes: I hope that door-dash panel gap is an open door... Also, why are the gauges so small?

Exterior: I'm actually not moved, and I love the CTS design. It's all so... Soft. I still think the bumper designs on this and the CTS don't quite harmonize with the rest of the design quite yet. And is it me or do the panel gaps here too seem quite prominent, and around the windows. The detailing seems off to me. That said, I didn't think I'd like the 500 or Montego either, and then I saw them at auto shows and flip flopped 100%, so we'll see.

If priced right, I still think it will sell well.

- Bret
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I saw some of these pics earlier and now that I've seen that upfront interior shot I am doubly impressed. If this car drives as smooth as it looks it will be a serious contender in my book. Thanks for the pic posts!!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    What are the four small circle things on the back bumper?? I imagine somehow they hold the bumper on?? I believe that the Escalde and maybe the Deville has these as well. Why?? I just think they look tacky - is there no better solution? The CTS does not have these.

Besides that the car looks very nice. I hope those multi spoke wheels make production they look very sweet.

Now. lets hope that Cadillac does not overprice the STS like they did with the SRX. I dont care how good the car is there are many who will not pay more for a Caddy than a BMW.
    Those "small circle things" are the ultrasonic parking assits sensors. Many cars and trucks have them.
    I'm actually glad Caddy scaled back "Art & Science" a bit for thier flasgship model. More daring designs get you interiors such as the 5 series and new A6 which are in my book, unacceptable. This car keeps it simple just like Lexus. I'm a fan of the design in the current STS (notice I said DESIGN, not quality or fit & finish and other nonsense) and LS430/Gs430. Those interiors look like luxury cars, not a pilot's cockpit. I just downloaded the pdf E-brochure of the 5 series and studied the interior pics. The design is chaotic at best, terribly ugly at worst. Nothing makes sense. What is up with the huge binnacle over the PC screen? It just isn't luxurious or good looking. Maybe the materials are high quality but who cares if you don't even wanna look at the thing. Looked at one at the auto show, and still wasn't impressed.
    Audi A6 is a step backward. Audi never knew how to integrate a NAV screen in their interiors before and it can't be more obvious than now. Why is the floor console literally awash in buttons? I mean, I like it way better than the 5, but still. Again, it just doesn't look luxurious to me. It looks too focused and busines-like. Not inviting. The STS on the other hand looks softer and less intimidating. Hell, even the cockpit of Amtraks Acela Express looks simpler than the 5's.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Designers across the board are using the same character line on cars today.

That line that runs down the side of the car from the back towards the front that eventually fades away just before the front fender.

This new STS has it, as does the new SLK, Honda Accord, Toyota Sienna minivan, Nissan Altima and others all have the same line. This trend needs to stop.

The STS looks ok inside and out, nothing stunning, thankfully not as jarring as the CTS was initially few years ago.

Chavis,

For once you and I can agree. I'm not sure what happened with the new A6, but it looks like a totally different group of designers did the car compared to the A8 and A4, both of which have much cleaner interiors. The A8 is the best going, imo. The A6, at least in pics looks indeed to be cluttered mess, not Audi like at all.

M
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Looks like a Man-u-matic (or whatever GM is calling it) manual shift mode gate for the automatic, to the right of the traditional PRND4321 gate on the console.

Is this predicted to have a 5 speed automatic?

- Ray
    Also unmoved by pre-release pics, but has learned that in person, cars often look DRAMATICALLY different . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yes, it has a five speed (5L50-E) for now with a six speed coming in a year or so. And yes it has manumatic functions like the SRX and XLR.
    "Also unmoved by per-release pics, but has learned that in person, cars often look DRAMATICALLY different "

I agree, I thought the CTS, XLR steering wheels were terrible on pictures, when I saw the real deal, I thought that were very well executed. I liked them.
    I think one should hold horse until they see the car in person
    Well, I conducted a little experiment. I posted the links of the STS pics in the 5 series and E class topics just to let them know about the car. I was ran off both topics. They said they won't find the STS "remotely competitive" with the new E or 5 because it's too ugly and too soft. Very interesting. Those folks loyal to MB and BMW will not even admit that there are other options available. That's why no matter how bad the quality gets on either brand, they will not lose any sells. Those folk will stick by them iDrive or high water.
    I've hung around some of the 5 series topics, especially at intro a lot of folks didn't like it and weren't afraid to speak up.

-juice
    That's very true, and very apparent in almost every board here at Edmunds! A BMW person only thinks of BMW, a MB person won't consider another brand, and a Caddy person won't admit to anything else. It always happens! I'm an Infiniti owner and I never admit that other brands are better than Infiniti...it's just how humans work. Great observation!
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Maybe you need to speak for yourself. The idea that people can't like more than one brand of car is pretty ridiculous. Some people are incapable of doing so because they are so obsessed with one brand or another, but that doesn't mean everyone is like that. I know lexus makes good cars, but I have no urge to buy one. Same goes for Infiniti (save G35 coupe) and Audi.

I think the STS is better looking than anything in the class except the E-class. To me the front isnt as sharp as that of the CTS which is a shame. The side profile really looks good though. The rear is definitely an improvement over the CTS and seems to be the best A&S rear end so far. Assuming that the quality is up to par, which it should be, the car will defintely make a dent in the sales of the Europeans.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Certainly people can like more than one brand. I have a 3-Series, but I really like the CTS and if I had more cash, the CTS-V would be my next car (maybe pre-owned in the future)

That said, I agree the side profile (from the pictures we have seen) appears to be the best STS angle. I'm not crazy about the softer front, and the rear is just "OK," as I think the XLR rear design is the best A&S gets...

- Bret
    Those guys are on their high horses! Literally. I tried having a civil discussion with them over the CTS V, (though I must admit I was somewhat over the top) and they really shouted me down.

Anyways, they seem to be headed the Detroit route of the 80’s and early 90’s. They ignored the signs of the times; Detroit is on the roll, if they keep momentum, they will soon overtake the Germans and catch up with the Japanese.
    Maybe I should've worded it a little bit differently, but what I meant was that the HARDCORE fans of BMW, MB, Caddy, Jag, Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. usually "bash" a new, competitive car in the same class - which is true! There are just some people out there who wouldn't own anything else! From what you say on this and many other boards makes it seem like you hate every foreign car and only buy GM. Point is that I should've reworded it to talk about the hardcore fans of any automaker.
    You say you were over the top on the sedans board, and got shouted down, is there mystery as to why? If you would have made some logical points that wouldn't have happened. That Cadillac is better than the world rhetoric isn't going to fly on boards where people know better.

M
  • markhamptonmarkhampton Member Posts: 74
    M, don't you have something better to do than attack Cadillac enthusiasts? Did a Cadillac dealer fire you from it's car-wash bay or something?

Kristi, can we please get rid of this troll once and for all?
    What is really sad is the names along with other insults. Nobody said anything personal here except the above, all I did was make an observation as to why what happened on the other board. You're the one that sounds bitter Mark.

M
    You guys better chill or the Enforcer will come shut this baby down. Try to stay on topic.
    You made your point. I agree with you
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    but I am the host of the discussions chavis10 says he got "ran off" of.

The issue is that we generally try to avoid extended and/or rancorous comparisons in a discussion which is focused on a single vehicle. We have an entire board dedicated to comparisons, so there is no reason to disrupt any single vehicle discussion with arguments about something else being better than the topical vehicle.

If folks don't want to talk about an STS in a 5-Series discussion, they shouldn't have to. The topic is "BMW 5-Series," not "With what does the 5-Series compete?"

So chavis10 has created a comparo in the proper place and he and I will be pleased if any of you would like to join us there.

Assuming, of course, that you don't bring this petty bickering with you. :)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Well folks I have just seen the newest pics of the interior, and that gap of the door and the dash is now nonexistent. In fact it looks extremely tight. As some of you said, the door must have been open before.
    Whew. Poor photography, then.

-juice
    Please show them to us, you may drop me an email
    Hey our very own GM insider!

Have you gotten any new pics of the STS lately, like the rear seat?
    Nope, no rear seat yet. They just finished changing all the interior pics and adding mechanical drawings and such.

And for the emails, if like 5 ppl sign up for it then I'll do it, it's a pain to do them individually. Of course, you do it the easy way and just wait until the embargo is lifted. ;)
    Ok guys, you heard theo! SIGN UP NOW!!!

theo: if other people sign up, remember to include me alright!!!
    Oh rc, I could never forget you.
    :-D
    Hook me up too brotha.
    With chavic, we just need 3 more people to sign up!! LOL Come on guys!
  • axguyaxguy Member Posts: 16
    Count me in! Now we just need 2 more.
    Keep in mind, I'm only sending 2 pics out. ;)

Actually, mbukukanyau already signed up, so 1 more!
    Make me the 5th person. I want to see. When is the embargo going to be lifted?
    It's embargoed until April 4, 2004; 12:01 am EST.

Pics on the way!

chavis, your email is still private.
    Check your e-mail, I send you a reply because the pictures didn't show up in my message.
    I have seen the light, and its name is STS...nice pics theo!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Guys, this is an automotive discussion board, and our purpose is to build the knowledge base here. It's not a chat room, and it's not an e-mail exchange board. 15+ posts talking about who should e-mail whom what is too many - let's get back to talking about the STS/STS-V. Thanks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Thx for the pics,
    I don't know about you, but I can't view tham, anyone have the user name and password to get us in?

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_1_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_2_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_4_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_3_web.jpg

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/sts/STS_6_web.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I guess we can no longer view them?
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Anyone know if STS pricing will be revealed at the intro in NY?
    GM has posted info about the STS on the media.gm.com website. Also, gminside news has infor and pics about the car. They show it from some new angles. Looks very good to me.
This discussion has been closed.