Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    I was trying to work out a deal with Goodson too. They gave me a price breakdown of about $200 over invoice + fees etc but then tried to sneak in a $599 "VPS Security" (add'l dealer added etching) in the numbers. Found out it's some scam theft recovery guarantee from a third party. Basically they tried to grease the numbers. I challenged them on it and have not heard from them since. I had been warned about them from another dealership, but figured they were just trying to sway me their way. Turns out Goodson really is that slimy. I'll either end up going to Vandergriff or MacChurchill.
  • Options
    bdurossbduross Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a TSX (w/o Navi) in the Chicago area...sounds like you got a great deal.

1. What dealer did you buy it from?
    2. Any advice, prices, or experiences with other Chicagoland Acura dealers?
  • Options
    racnoracno Member Posts: 6
    I picked up the car at Acura at Palatine - This was the first dealership I went to. The entire deal took less than 5 minutes(excluding the test drive). The salesman was extremely cordial(his manager tried to squeeze an extra $200). Overall the experience was good. Looking at the forum posts a good deal is closer to the invoice 25,348(someone else suggests a range of 25300-25600). With the year ending this range will only get better.
    This forum and carsdirect.com give you a good feel for price. This information should allow you to decide on a price you want to pay. Once you know the price there is no reason to shop multiple places (at the best may save an additional 200-300)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    5. No soliciting or classifieds
    The Forums do not allow solicitations or For-Sale postings. There are several reasons for this, but most importantly the discussions would be not be valuable if every other post contained an advertisement or falsified "customer testimonial". We strive to provide honest and accurate information

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jet1234jet1234 Member Posts: 16
    After months of reading this forum, I finally went ahead and got my TSX! Thanks, everyone, for sharing their experiences. I paid $26,400 OTD for Carbon Grey, non-Navi from Radley Acura in Northern VA area. And so far, the car's been great!
  • Options
    tsxfriendtsxfriend Member Posts: 3
    Got a 05 TSX with Navigation from AutoWest Acura.
    $26974 + Tax + License Fee + doc Fee ~= $29500 OTD
  • Options
    wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    When you post prices do not include taxes and title and fees. Each state is differenc and therefore comparing prices is next to impossible if you dont give the price before all the state specific add ons. thanks
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Let me second and clarify...

Don't include tax/title/license. Those are so variable and set by the state...

DO include doc fee, and other such dealer add-ons as they are set by the dealer, and really part of their gross profit.

Thanks again!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    My bad - the price I paid was $25,200 + $245 doc fee + TTL for Carbon Grey/Non-Nav.
  • Options
    cmd444cmd444 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a silver TSX no navi with 2600 miles - driven by owner of dealership for $25,760. Trading my 2004 PILOT LX with 34,000 for $19,200. I thought I was getting a reasonable deal but now I am questioning the price since their are some on this forum getting new TSX with no mileage for close to that price. I'm located in Northern Mass.
  • Options
    eusnlleusnll Member Posts: 10
    Picked up a base w/o navi from Vandergriff in Dallas , for their invoice +200 ( about 25580 + TT& L ) . Finally good to have it in hands after looking at it for so long. Happy motoring Everyone !!!

:D
  • Options
    brianw1brianw1 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote of $25850 + 400 (doc fee) + TTL from Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta, GA.
    After reading all these posts I get the feeling that this is at least $500 - $600 above what most people are scoring elsewhere.
    Anyone else got a lower quote from any dealer in Atlanta or the nearby suburbs?
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Let me 'third' and recommend the following:

* Don't include tax/title/license. Those are so variable and set by the state...

* Do include doc fee, and other such dealer add-ons as they are set by the dealer, and really part of their gross profit AS ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION.

So I would suggest stating the 'purchase price' as at would appear on the purchase contract (car price plus destination) without any dealer add-ons.

Then if interested...provide additional information on doc fees (which are so minor at $60 typically) and other dealer add-on.
  • Options
    ctk4949ctk4949 Member Posts: 10
    My Bro just got a 2006 Acura RSX Black on Black Auto with Leather for $23,500 TTL, my mom also got a 2005 Acura TSX Meteor Silver without navi for $27,600 TTL...what you guys think??
  • Options
    I don't know about the RSX price but whoa, your mom paid at least $2000+ too much on the TSX! :surprise: Check the board. Others have been paying that for an OTD price.
  • Options
    $27,600 is out the door
    both of them are
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    The good deals have been somwhere around 25,500 before TTL.
  • Options
    Just received this email today from Montgomeryville Acura in PA, near Philly.

ACURA LABOR DAY SPECIAL

ALL NEW 2005 & 2006 ACURA MODELS

APR AS LOW AS 2.9%

NOW THROUGH SEPTEMBER 6TH, 2005

Not sure which markets will have this rate. Too bad I got mine already, otherwise I would've taken advantage of the 2.9%. Good luck.
  • Options
    Please refer to message 1896 and replies to that message. I assumed this was the base price of the vehicle, TTL excluded. That OTD means nothing to any of us because TTL is different in every state. Do you know what price your mom negotiated; minus any down payment or trade-in?
  • Options
    oh ok sorry
    it was $25,145
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Nai, FWIW, I had similar experiences with Puget Sound area Acura dealers back when I bought my '04 TSX, including Acura of Seattle, Hinshaw's and Acura of Bellevue.

I ended up buying my car in Spokane, both because they had the 6MT in SSM like I wanted, and because of the hassle-free dealings with their internet mgr. Also got a great trade-in price on my 2000 Accord. Sewed up the whole deal on the phone inside of 1/2 hour with no extraneous fees tacked on.

What I find interesting is the way the TSX is holding its close-to-MSRP price. You actually paid only $200 less than I did for a car near the end of the model year with a mid cycle refresh coming up for the '06's. The car has proven to be very popular.

I highly recommend dealing with Acura of Spokane in the future, assuming you get another Acura. Not near the hassle it sounds like on the surface. Nice drive back and you get a good headstart on the break-in :shades:

Enjoy your new car. I think you'll love it :D

Johnny
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new car!

The TSX is one of my favorites...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx...didn't realize you were a 'host'. Is that a recent change?
  • Options
    Yes... those that know, post.. those that just run off at the mouth, host.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nainai Member Posts: 1
    second post deleted. must...be...relentless.

Acura of Lynnwood in Washington, Internet Sales. Paid $26,100 for a
    Black on black, automatic, no navi. I called 6 dealships that day, and only
    this person didn't belittle me. I told him my situation and he said
    what would it take for me to come into his dealership. 30 mins later on the phone. Done.

I've got a story as well prior to going to Lynnwood.

I called Acura of Seattle and talked to their Internet Sales. They
    offered me $26,432 and said they had the exact same model and features
    I wanted in-stock. When I mentioned about the dealer holdback, the guy
    had the nerve to say that "it's only for select dealerships and currently
    no dealerships in the US qualify for it."

2 calls later to other dealerships, and I find out that Acura of
    Seattle didn't actually have the model and features I wanted. Hell, I
    figured I would go in and try to haggle with a sales person and to see what
    they had in-stock. After the test-drive (they lied about having the
    model and features I wanted), we go into the office and bam, the sales guy
    puts down $27,750 + $580 for the options. MSRP. We're looking at over
    $28k.

I was insulted and proceeded to go off on the guy. He lowers it down to
    $27,500. Wasn't good enough for me. I wanted an offer between the two
    quotes that I had, $26,100 from Lynnwood and $26,432 thinking that this
    price was from another dealership, Acura of Bellevue (I was waiting for
    their call).

I demanded to talk to a supervisor and when he came out, he said he
    talked to HIS manager, and the lowest that they'll go is $26,750.
    Anything else and they'll be losing money. I mention about the dealer holdback,
    how I have quotes from other dealerships, $26,100 from Lynnwood and
    $26,432 from Bellevue (mistake). They still refused to budge. Long
    story short, I left pissed.

Once I got into my car, I looked over my papers again. Lo and behond,
    the whole time I was in the dealership quoting the $26,432 from Acura
    of Bellevue, I was wrong. Acura of Bellevue didn't offer me a quote, I was
    still waiting for them to call me back. So, I was actually quoting the
    price of $26,432 that Acura of Seattle's Internet Sales gave me over
    the phone which took me less than 10 mins. While I was in the
    dealership for over an hour negotiating, the lowest they quoted me was $26,750. How is that possible when I went through the salesperson -> supervisor -> and
    apparently the manager and still ended up with a higher price than
    through the internet sales!? Unbelievable.

Went to Lynnwood afterwards and purchased the car hassle free.

-Nai
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The TSX is one of my favorites..

A die-hard Bimmer man a fan of the TSX? Cool! I've enjoyed reading your posts over on the 3 Series board. Congrats on the promotion! :shades:

The E90 has cast a spell over me. It's all I can do to just enjoy my TSX and not go to the "other" side. LOL! Maybe I'll just start modding the TSX and save some cash!

NAH!

Johnny
  • Options
    ifellerifeller Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new TSX in the chicago-land area. I was hoping that anyone that has recently purchased a TSX in the area could let me know if they could recommend any Acura dealers and what the going price is for the 05 TSX. Additional, I was hoping to get some feedback regarding if I should hold off to try to get a better deal once the 2006 TSX comes out?

THANKS!
  • Options
    gkg680gkg680 Member Posts: 25
    I would like to ask the same question. I went to McGrath Acura in Morton Grove to walk thru the lot today. I was quite surprised to learn that the dealership was open (Labor Day).
    I asked to test-drive a TSX with manual transmission, and they were happy to let me do that. I didn't talk money with them, it was almost closing time, but they seemed courteous and professional. Any car dealer open on Labor Day is looking to sell cars, I would think.
    I live in the city, congested area, and I find the TSX small enough to navigate, without being too small, also, I thought the engine had enough zip for my needs.
    I would welcome any comments about the dealers in Chicago who are good to work with. 10 years ago I had a bad experience with a dealer in Dupage County when I tried to buy an Acura CL Coupe.
  • Options
    dbhoakdbhoak Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market to purchase a 05' TSX 6M w/nav. Looking to see what people are paying or being quoted.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    How is that possible when I went through the salesperson -> supervisor -> and
    apparently the manager and still ended up with a higher price than
    through the internet sales!? Unbelievable.

It is simple. Simple word - commission. The internet manager - one person to feed (I mean directly), perhaps two. The floor - three (all of those guys you talked with). I forgot another - time. The internet manager: five minutes to get the request, 5 minutes to prepare an offer, 5 minutes to send it, 15 minutes to talk to unhappy guy who expects the car for free ;) Floor: 5 minutes to say hello and chit chat, 20 minutes to test drive, 15 minutes to get you in the chair and slap you first "offer", 15 minutes to understand that you won't buy for it, etc. Clock is ticking, somebody has to pay for it. Apparently it will be their next customer...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Then if interested...provide additional information on doc fees (which are so minor at $60 typically) and other dealer add-on.

Well, in some markets doc fees are much higher than $60. In Tampa I have not seen anything lower than $200, they get get up to $600. I know, it is silly, but it can be extremely difficult to take it off the contract (they even preprint it to give you impression it is something you will not get off). Saying "refuse to pay" is easier said than done. Everybody basically expects paying it and the "nominal" prices are adjusted for it (it gives dealers another leverage to advertise lower than their actual price).

I think the most helpful is exactly price plus doc fee (or however you want to call it), because it is... the actual price paid (states even charge tax on those fees). How it is broken ($27000+$500 or $27450+$50), is secondary. Other add-ons - I agree, unnecessary.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    mhasanmhasan Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to this forum and the great information shared, I was able to acquire a 2005 TSX with 6-speed and Navigation, Black on Black for $27,500. 2.9% financing, purchased on 9/7/2005.

The 27,500 includes protection package and destination charges. I had to pay $55 doc fee and tax and title separately. I used the internet to ask for quotes and worked on this for a few weeks diligently. I had to go to a few dealers, negotiate in person and even walked out of a few dealers empty handed. But alas, I'll be picking up my first ever new car tonight.

Advice: Read the forums front to back, don't simply ask people for advice. The info is there, just read as much as you can. When you've fully gathered up all your knowledge, then start contacting dealerships and be confident.
  • Options
    I am agreeable to know the exact price paid...but....

Still good for the posters to indicate the doc fees as separate and additional information so that each regional market will know and understand the variations in doc fees. So that a purchaser in San Diego will be able to compare to a Tampa buyer.

The key is....show the components of the deal....and let the reader do the math. Don't burry costs into a bundle.
  • Options
    Great deal!! Congratulations on the new car.. Be sure to join in the discussion at the Acura TSX forum.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sure, components are all we need. I was just making point that those doc fees are part of the price and vary significantly by markets. However, final results should be comparable, since it costs the dealers similar amount of money to acquire the vehicle. Other costs may be quite different, thus we still should "filter" the info to our market. Say dealer in premium location of San Diego or San Jose will pay higher rent/salaries/taxes etc. than that in say Perry, FL; on the other hand he probably expects to sell 50 times more TSXs as well (I don't even know if Perry has an Acura dealership - never been there) ...

Not that we have to be so understanding, but it helps sometimes.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
  • Options
    ifellerifeller Member Posts: 2
    mhasan-

Congrats on your new TSX..you got a great deal! Black on black is sharp!

Could you let me know what dealership you got your TSX from (I'm from Chicago as well). Also, I am curious as to how much the protection package and the destination charges were. On the financing, how many years are you financing over?

Thanks!
  • Options
    dbhoakdbhoak Member Posts: 7
    tsxfriend,

Great deal! Thank you for the advise and information.
  • Options
    dbhoak,
    Let us know how much you pay :)
    They have 2.9% APR now. Which means you have ~$200 bargin room from $27k if you pay cash. Also, every dealer claims they have MT and all colors. Better check their inventory before driving there.

One more:
    http://www.acuraofserramonte.com/Default.aspx?page=new-inventory
  • Options
    How many months did you finance it for to get that rate? 36?
  • Options
    mhasanmhasan Member Posts: 6
    I got the 2.9% for 36 months as part of Acura's Labor Day Specials.
  • Options
    flyndriveflyndrive Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing an '05 TSX but while discussing it with the dealer I asked what the increase in price might be for the '06 TSX. I was told two to four percent. I read the report on the new features and saw the pics for the '06 and I did a little research.

If my research is correct it looks like the MSRP for the TSX non-nav, auto went from 27,035 for the 2004 model to 27,190 for the 2005 model which is 155 bucks, barely a half of one percent. It had several improvements over the 2004. Also, the 2006 RSX is priced only 50 bucks more than the 2005 RSX.

So, does anyone think the '06 MSRP is really going to go up by $544 to $1088 (2 to 4 percent of 27190)?? I'm saying it won't. Do you think the new features and slight redesign for 2006 would justify this increase???
  • Options
    'flyndrive'...that is great you are performing historical research to assess the possible increase. But what really needs to be considered is what happens not only to msrp...but your actual purchase price. I doubt you will see the pricing you are seeing...near invoice.
  • Options
    bunybuttbunybutt Member Posts: 1
    hi mhasan,

thanks for your info - i am in the west suburbs and am curious to know where you bought your Acura. I was looking to find one without Navi - do you think 26000 OTD would be impossible given your experience in the Chicagoland area?
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Test drove a 2005 TSX without the NAV. The dealer offered $26,300 on MSRP of $27,815. He said the higher MSRP includes a fuel surcharge even though it appears that the car has been sitting on the lot for quite a while.

The real deal breaker is the trade-in allowance which is $4,000 below our expectations. Futhermore, my spouse is not keen on buying an automobile that requires 91 octane gasoline. Any suggestions (including a competitive brand) is appreciated.
  • Options
    ronabironabi Member Posts: 39
    I had the same reservation about the 91 octane requirement. However, I am driving my 05 TSX w auto for less cost per mile than was the case with my previous car,a Buick Regal that used regular unleaded. That car would average about 23-24 in my mixed in-town driving and 29-30 on the road. My TSX averages 27 or so in the mixed in-town driving and 34+ on the road. Comparing a 4000 mile vacation trip this summer with a similar trip in the previous car showed that I was paying about 8% more for supreme vs. premium but getting about 15% better mileage. What that boiled down to was that my TSX was costing 1 cent per mile less on supreme than the regal using regular. So, while that's not a lot of money, the point is that I was buying supreme and driving for less, not more. I have a little over 10,000 miles on the car, and the mileage has been steadily improving, with a high of 38 mpg (but only on three fill-ups) in vacation driving at 70-75 mph. Anyway, unless you are driving something else that gets this kind of mileage, don't worry about the cost of gasoline. You will be ahead.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I don't get it - how can a dealer with a straight face ask for a fuel surcharge on a car sitting on the lot? And dealers wonder why folks have such low regards for them. Go back at the end of the month with checkbook in hand and tell him to lower the price another $500 and you'll take it. Forget the trade - sell it yourself or go to CarMax (from the low ball estimate they gave you it sounds like they don't want it)

Acura recommends 91 octane - you can put just about anything in the tank (diesel excluded) - you'll only suffer a milage hit with a lower octane.

Most other competitors' milage would be worse. The only one that would be better is the 06 Accord I4.
  • Options
    al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    I paid 25,900 for black TSX with parchment non nav and got wheel locks, floor mats, door edge guards included plus 50,000 miles of oil changes free.

That is crazy a fuel surcharge. Go buy a Honda Accord that will be a great, great car and I am sure I would have been happy with that as well as the TSX. I like it a bunch but not enough to pay some crazy premium like this dealer is asking.

I chose TSX because it had a somewhat higher value at the end of 2 or 3 years and a equivalent accord that I could find was not that much cheaper than the TSX.

See some references to 06--if it was only slightly more than an 05 it would be worth it as the car will always be a year newer and when you look up values the new car is always worth several thousand more unless one of the cars has out of line high mileage.

Okay my 2 cents worth ---best wishes to you on your purchase--I like mine a bunch!!!!
  • Options
    ms77ms77 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my TSX (Arctic Blue Pearl, black interior, Non navi, AT) from Bill Vince's Bridgewater Acura over labor day. Also got the all season floor mats in the price. Here are the details:

Car price including destination: 26000
    Doc fees 157
    Total excluding TTL 26157

Financing 4.99 for 60 months through AHFC

Went there a few times for test drive (Liked the TL but it was overbudget for me). Front Office Sales experience was pleasant and salesperson knowledgeable. After negotiating price, Back Office Post-sales tried to sell extras (extended warranty, gap insurance, ...) but were okay when we did not want them. Final surprise was some wine, cheese, and crackers in the mail as a thank you from the dealer.

Love the Car. Is this a fair deal ? :):( :confuse:
    Thanks
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Thanks guys for your very helpful comments but I think we are leaning closer to a Volvo S-60. The Volvo dealership is offering a much better trade-in on our S-70 and their dealership experience is much more customer friendly than Acura.