Options

Acura TSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    fsumike82fsumike82 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a squeeking or creeking noise when they slow down / brake. I have an 2006 TSK with only 6k miles and when I brake and come to a slow stop it sounds like the shocks are squeeking... No indicator lights have come on and the brakes work just as good as the day I bought the car.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    i am happy to say (knock on wood) my 06 tsx does not experience that problem (it has almost 8,000 miles on it) If you have concerns bring it back to the dealer (take advantage of the warranty)
  • Options
    fdrivefdrive Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone experienced rusting on the hood of 2005 TSX? I first saw rust after 6 months of ownership. It was a small stone chip that rusted out. Took it to the dealer who said that they "can't cover stone chips in the warranty". Now, after 17 months of ownership, I have 5 other rusting "chips" on my hood. I took it back to the dealer who again said that they can't cover it. I then contacted Acura who is also not cooperating; this is clearly a defect.

Any ideas on what to do guys??
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Since when are rock chips a defect? Seriously, you think Honda should repair damage to your paint caused by road debris, winter salt, following trucks too closely, etc?

If you had repaired the chips when they first appeared, they never would have rusted. Fortunately, you can still fix them with a couple of products...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007&L3=L3_1500&SKU=503- 10

Use the spot sanding tool to remove the rust, then use a paint applicator to fill the chips with factory touch-up paint. I slice the felt tips off the applicator and use the remaining plastic nub to apply the paint - let surface tension fill the chip rather than trying to "color in" the chip.

Here's a before and after of my front bumper (the Pacific NW is terrible for rock/debris chips...)

BTW, the chips you see on the "after" photo are one's I've acquired since the repair. Like I said, the Pac NW is harsh!
  • Options
    Maybe you should work for the dealer; you sound just like them. It's rust.
  • Options
    151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I have put 15.9 in the tank after running waaayyy over the gauge hitting E. I have been tempted to go over 450 miles again but haven't had DH in the "chase" car available in case I screw up ;)
  • Options
    "Maybe you should work for the dealer; you sound just like them. It's rust.

Maybe you should work for a tort lawyer, you sound just like them. It's somebody's fault.

If you come out of the mall and discover the car that was parked next to you left a 4" gouge in your door, should Honda replace your door under warranty? If neighborhood kids egg your car and destroy the paint on the left front fender, should your Honda dealer refinish your fender for free?

Rocks hit your car and penetrated the clearcoat, paint, and primer - leaving the bare metal underneath exposed to the elements. Your problem is that you drive a car made out of metal, and rust never sleeps.
  • Options
    Maybe you should work for a tort lawyer, you sound just like them. It's somebody's fault.

I'm looking for some advice here; not some annoying diatribe from someone pushing business to a website selling paint repair items.

Do you even own a TSX?
  • Options
    Yep, there are rust spots on even the smallest chips on the hood. I have heard that the paint quality for Honda products wasn't the greatest.

I have the Satin Silver color.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    "I'm looking for some advice here."

You're not looking for advice, you're looking for someone who will agree with you.

I stated my honest opinion and provided some suggestions on how you might fix the damage (with a hot link and photos even!). And really, if you snub folks for being honest and trying to help, nobody's going to come forward.

Oh well, since the Griot products I suggested don't appeal to you, here are some other products that you might find helpful...

http://drcolorchip.com/ (haven't tried personally)
    http://www.langka.com/ (haven't tried personally)
    http://www.touchup123.com/ (this is the one I used on my car - see pictures above)

BTW, I owned a 2004 TSX, but I sold it 2 years ago because I couldn't stand living with all the rock chips anymore :blush:
  • Options
    ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for your response. I did take the car in and the dealer was able to put some felt between the passenger side "A" pillar and the dashboard (out of sight of course). No more rattling and I am really enjoying the car now.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. I did take the car in and the dealer was able to put some felt between the passenger side "A" pillar and the dashboard (out of sight of course). No more rattling and I am really enjoying the car now.
  • Options
    i have a few chips on my milano red tsx but no rust (knock-on-wood) I agree honda paint is lousy. Our hyundai's paint seems to hold up alot better against those nasty road rocks.sorry do not have any solution for you. maybe a car detailer place could help.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a shame; rocks and debris are inevitable if you drive on the expressway. However, rust should not happen after six months. I'm taking it to the dealer again today. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    i agree it should not rust. If the dealer does not have a solution for you I would suggest your contact acura customer service in california and complain to them. I wish you alot of luck. we owned a 03 hyundai elantra (red) that seemed to have alot less chips than our 06 milano red tsx (4 months old) and we basically drive the same highways.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have already contacted Acura customer service and am currently in correspondence with a case manager there. She will contact the dealer after today's visit. I plan to contact the BBB if nothing is resolved.

I know. I drove a 99 Mercury Cougar on the same route for 6 years with absolutely no rusting chips - maybe 1 or 2 smalls chips in the hood paint.

Off to the dealer....
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    If the chip reaches down to bare metal, rust will occur. Bare metal exposed to the elements = surface corrosion. No way around it without some sort of remediation or switching to a gold hood. You've been provided with some excellent info and several solutions. Griping about it solves nothing.

To claim Honda or any other manufacturer should repair your rock chips under warranty is patently ridiculous. Get a repair kit and deal with it.

Good luck. :shades:
  • Options
    glad to hear your good news.
  • Options
    Thanks. ;)
  • Options
    copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    Same problem on mine at 54K. Lights on console and radio had dimmed in and out perdiodically recently, and now are stuck on dim. Perfect timing as I am outside the warranty period. I can only hazzard a guess as to the cost for this? :cry:
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    You're in luck. This is a known issue for which Acura has issued a TSB and extended the warranty: http://photos.imageevent.com/astroboy/workstuff/tsxtsb/B04-021.pdf
  • Options
    Not any luck opening the link. Has the warranty been extended for the US TSX's? I saw one was issued for the Canadian models.
  • Options
    Odd, I can open it without issue.

Anyway, it is service bulletin 04-021 issued by American Honda Motor Co. The title is 'Warranty Extension: Audio-HVAC Display Is Dim or Dark' and it covers extending the warranty to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
  • Options
    Any chance you could email it to me?
  • Options
    Sure, what's the address?

You can also make it visible in your profile and I'll get it that way.
  • Options
    scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    Anyone on this board do their own oil/filter changes?
    I am contemplating the TSX, and hope the filter is more accessible than it was on our 99 2.3 CL. It was on the back side of the engine, I had to remove the left front wheel and crawl under the car to get to it. Where is the TSX filter? Thanks, Scott.
  • Options
    My user name @yahoo.com

Thanks.
  • Options
    proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    What products should be used to maintain leather seats? How often should they be used?
  • Options
    There's a whole thread on this topic happening on another TSX forum right now. The two leaders seemed to be Zaino and Lexol.
  • Options
    yktomlyktoml Member Posts: 1
    Since I have a similar problem with my 2006 TL, I would appreciate it if you can share with me the response you received from the case manager and any other subsequent measures you have taken to alleviate this problem.
  • Options
    Hi.
    I took the car to the dealer 3 times to show them the rust that began after 6 months of ownership. Each time, they neglected to acknowledge that there was rust; they simply called it stone chipping. So, I called Acura itself and logged the issue with their customer service. The first-level support guy also would not acknowledge that it was rust and was generally not cooperative. I then asked to speak with his manager, who was unavailable but called me back the next day. I logged the issue with her; she was a good listener, but again, said that there was pretty much nothing they could do. I told her that the situation was unacceptable and that I was taking the car in one last time to the dealer. She said she would talk with them after they reviewed the car again. And that, she did. She called me back the very next day after they had the car, and believe it or not, they agreed to a "one-time Good Will repainting" of my hood.

So, in a nutshell, be incredibly persistent with the dealer and Acura. They should budge if they want to keep you as a customer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    abhiutdabhiutd Member Posts: 44
    Hi all,
    I need some help regarding replacing the damaged front bumper like i had last night when i hit an iron pole. It is badly damaged on the right side. I presume it is not repairable so can you guys suggest me some options(places) and the cost i'm looking at.
    2006 Milano Red TSX.

Thanks a bunch.
    AB.
  • Options
    hll7575hll7575 Member Posts: 13
    Automakers are known to be conservative in signaling an empty tank. Typically, one would have at least 2 more gallons after the empty light is on. Just a story to share. In April this year, our family went to the great U.S. Southwest for a week. We rented a 2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo which runs about 18 mpg. When the empty light was on, I estimated that we'd have another 20 miles to the next major crossroad so I don't really worry that much. When we got to that intersection, the ONLY gas station was out of gas and the next gas station would be 25 miles away.

Slightly panic, I turned off the AC, drive grandmotherly at 40 mph on a mainly level highway. Eventually we drove another 46 miles after the empty light was on, which gave us about at least 2.5 gallons reserve in the tank.
  • Options
    mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    About 2 months ago, I've ran my TSX down to about around 25-30 miles till empty. When I filled up, it only took about 14.3 gallons when the pump clicked off. There wasn't anyone behind me so I decided to fill my car up to the max. It took about 5 minutes of slowly dripping the gas in the car. I topped off at 16.2 gallons before someone pulled up behind me.

The TSX suppose to have a 17.1 gallon tank and I added 16.2 gallons total. I would always go by the distance till empty instead of relying on the “reserves”. We all laughed at those poor idiots running down the hwy with a 1 gallon gas container 1/2 mile from the gas station.
  • Options
    Yes, My 2007 TSX had that problem. The dash was rattling/creaking near the passenger side "A" pillar. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times to have it fixed - the 3rd fix was a couple of weeks ago. For now it is quiet and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays quiet. The rattle/creak noise happened in my car on any road which was even slightly rough so it was happening a lot. If it comes back again I'll take it in for the 4th fix. Have you taken yours in yet? What they did for mine was to insulate the area with some kind of felt or foam tape I think.
  • Options
    Last Thursday near the end of my 40 mile commute I came to a stoplight which turned red so I slowed down gradually to stop, gently braking. Just as I was almost at a full stop the car began violently shuddering/shaking as if it was going to stall. No, I didn't forget to depress the clutch - I have an automatic, but I have owned many stick shift cars and the experience reminded me of times I was late depressing the clutch at a stop thus causing the car to shake and kill. Has anyone else experienced this? Might it be a transmission problem? It is definitely not a brake issue. This is about the 3rd time this has happened and it's very scary when it happens. Thanks for any input you can offer!
  • Options
    when my 06 tsx starting getting a slight rattle at 19,400 miles I told the service advisor about it. fixed on the 1st try-knock-on-wood- they made some kind of adjustment-no felt or foam tape needed.
  • Options
    cwalk1cwalk1 Member Posts: 13
    My 2007 TSX (leased on 3/2007) has only 2100 miles on it is already squeaking too when I apply the brakes.

No lights or anything has come on to indicate issue(s).

Anyone have any insights if this is normal or if the dealer can do something about it?
  • Options
    ramstein317ramstein317 Member Posts: 47
    I have a dumb question, and it seems like I am the only one who is having problem. I just recently LEASED, a 2008 Acura TSX with Navigation. Car is built in JAPAN 100%. However, I currently have almost 2000 Miles. Whenever I am driving with the "AC", on there seems be getting some kind of a "KNOCKING", noise coming from the engine/hood. I read the manual, and only way the noise should be coming is IF I DON'T USE PREMIUM 91 or higher Octange Gas. But, I have been using PREMIUM gas at any gas station. Any reasons or any ideas, what's going on? I will be getting the car back to the dealer to check it out, on my first oil change. In that case, 2 more questions-- I have the navigation, would that display any TRAFFIC patterns in the GPS? I thought it does, maybe I don't know how to set it up. When should I do my first OIL CHANGE? Thanks everyone...
  • Options
    if it were a gas problem the knocking would occur when the a/c is off or on. the tsx does not have traffic patterns in their nav. there is an oil life indicator. i usually wait until it gets to at least 10% but with my driving it is more like 5% or less. i have an 06 6spd/ w nav, bought new 11.17.06 with almost 24,000 miles. love it.
  • Options
    NJ2pa2nc: Thanks for the feeback. The last time I was getting the knocking noise was this past Sat& Sun. I went to the Dealer, and with prompt response a Tech drove the car with me today, and no noise came, with/without the AC. Tech stated, no visible failure to anything, car runs NORMAL. But, I know for sure, that I will get that noise, which I HOPE NOT TOO.. Anyway's, let see what happens....
    Thanks.. I'll get the Oil Change when it reaches around 10% or somewhre..Thanks...It sucks that Navigation doesn't have the traffic updates...Thanks..
  • Options
    most navigations systems that have real-time traffic also charge a monthly fee for that service. just like xm and sirius radio. my sister-in-law has it in her lexus. she got the service free for a year and then had to pay for it-which she does- says it is worth it.
  • Options
    NJ2PA2NC: I was playing around with the navigation today, and on the main screen there is an option for the "icons", when I selected that, there was an option for "traffic", I selected that, and Now i get notifications for traffic patterns. That's cool..Thanks...Btw, the Accords are here...Anyone thinking to get a Accord? LOL Built in OHIO..
  • Options
    my mom owns a 1998 honda accord ex-v6 with 71,200 miles. i can not believe how much that car has cost her in maintenance-must be those very short trips. front and rear brakes twice, timing belt, power door locks, two batteries, two radios, starter, power seats and other things. when we were getting my acura service we looked at two 08 honda's that just arrived. she is now debating whether or not to get one. seemed to love the looks. i think she should go for the basic model as the only time the sunroof gets used is when i am driving it and i have put probably at least 7,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    Intersting, and surprising. However, I have never heard or seen any problamatic on any of the Accord's, thus so far. I believe that they're built very well, and are the best in the line of "Honda's". In addition, I like the Accord better then the Civic, even though people claim that CIVIS is the best! Good luck with the new Accord. I would wait for couple of months before going for the "new", Accord. Good Luck! Go for the EX model, or the Special Edition.
  • Options
    dkleinhdkleinh Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new 2008 TSX. Of course in the finance manager's office, we
    were pressured to buy the usual extra junk, including the extended warranty. We
    declined - however the manager said that they might see about offering us a
    discounted price - they tried to sell it to us for $26xx.00. I went on-line when I
    got home and it looks like one can purchase this directly from Acura for much
    less -- $1700 for 7yr/100K miles, no deductible. Is the the extended warranty
    something one really needs ?
  • Options
    jondc212jondc212 Member Posts: 15
    I just bought my new TSX 08. I was wondering what price i should be paying for my routine services @ 5k miles. What type of service do they do at the usual 5k miles?

Lube,oil, and filter change for $30.00 is the internet price i got at my local acura dealership.

What other services down the road should be expecting to do to keep my car in pristine condition.

Thanks,

new car owner
  • Options
    getting the tires rotated, basically following the maintenance reminder-it will give you codes like a-1 oil change, b-1 oil change, tire rotation b12oil change tire rotation, filter change. read your owner's manual for more info. happy safe motoring- have owned by 06 tsx,bought new, one year, now has 31,000+miles and I am still loving it. Only complaint is the lousy paint that chips easy-alot of owners have clear bra's on their cars.
  • Options
    phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    Anyone have the 225/50SR 17 OEM tires. I would like to know what the manufacturer recommended pressure is on the door jam sticker.

Thanks in advance
    Phaeton Driver
  • Options
    bflhrtybflhrty Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Acura TSX with 18000 miles and had to have it towed to the dealer last week. The result was that they said the clutch had burned out. I still find this hard to believe as I have been driving manual transmission cars for over 10 years (1990 Accord with 190k and the original clutch, 2002 Accord with 30k).

It was considered a wear item and not covered under warranty. The cost to me was about $1900. (I lease cars so I will not have expensive maintenance repairs.) When I went to pick up the car, I asked for the parts which they initially would not realease per the regional manager from Acura. I had opened a case with Acura Client Service but they came back and said that it would not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. The case was considered closed so I did not understand why they would not let me have the parts. I picked up the car but am meeting with a Service Tech next week to review the parts and I want them to tell me what happened and what would have been the cause. Given my conservative driving style, I find t hard to believe that it was my fault.

So any advise on what to look for and what to ask? Has anyone had this issue? Anyone else think this seems strange to replace a clutch at 18k.

Thanks