Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mostly highway commute - does a hybrid make sense?

cabriggscabriggs Member Posts: 32
edited June 2015 in Honda
I was at a Honda dealer today looking at an Accord. I asked the salesguy about the Accord hybrid and when I told him my commute is mostly highway (28 miles highway, 5 miles city), he said stay away from it. He said that without a sufficient amount of non-highway driving, running on the batteries and recharging them, the gas engine will have to run the whole time and you'd be disappointed. He said he's seen people trade them in after three months for a non-hybrid because it wouldn't even deliver on the given highway mpg number. Does that match other peoples' experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't agree with that unless you're talking about California freeway speeds of 70 mph+. But if you run at 55 mph, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to hit the mid 40s MPG. But it is true that the car really shines in city driving.
  • Options
    Speed limit is 65 here. I usually cruise right at 70.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    cabriggs said:

Speed limit is 65 here. I usually cruise right at 70.

I'd get a diesel, instead..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I wondered about diesel. On average, diesel fuel pricing here is about 10% more than regular gas, which really eats into the 20% increase in efficiency.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    cabriggs said:

I wondered about diesel. On average, diesel fuel pricing here is about 10% more than regular gas, which really eats into the 20% increase in efficiency.

That's true... everything I drive takes premium, so diesel doesn't look too bad..

In theory, all highway driving doesn't favor a hybrid as much as city or mixed driving, but most of them still get great mileage..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator