Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The one I drove had 16"s and felt kind of bouncy. Keep in mind it's the sidewall height that matters, not just the rim diameter. The handling is in the right tires.

Drive 'em both, with employee discounts that's different. But the current V6 wasn't particularly fast or smooth, just my opinion.

I read Equinox will be bigger, that may or may not be better depending on your needs.

-juice
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I've got the V6 in my L300 -- perhaps it's the platform, but I've experienced no problems with the engine.

It's funny, we're all over the map when it comes to handling "feel". The wife's VW has 50 series tires and corners as if it is on rails. Very rough ride, though, is the trade off.

My Saturn is much smoother in comparison, even though I've got the so-called "sport suspension" option installed.

Our Explorer wallows by comparison, despite the fact that it's the new, redesigned model with the IRS. Better than the Expedition we had before it, however.

May take a look at the Equinox -- I'm not thrilled by the 185hp engine. Why not use the new 220hp 5-cyl that is going into the Canyon and Colorado?
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    one can not ignore the safety related concerns that the subaru pulls way ahead...
  • Options
    jumper3jumper3 Member Posts: 9
    I've gotten myself all revved up over the XT only to be majorly bummed to find out that you can't get the premium package (with the moonroof) if you get a manual transmission. What's up with that?! I can't personally imagine not getting the MT with that sweeet turbo engine but on the other hand that humongous moon roof I want almost as much. And while I'm complaining, does anyone else think the choice of colors offered was severely limited? Am I really going to cough up close to 30 K and not get the vehicle the way I really want it? Does anyone know if moonroof vs. manual could change later in the production run like additional colors quite often appear or is this now set in stone?
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    gotta laugh, here I am waiting to see how great the Baja turbo is, and I am not pleased with the fact that they ONLY come with moonroofs. Robs 1 1/2" from head room and becomes another maintenace item down the road. Bummer. And, if you want to talk bad colors, try seeing your Forester with that Baja yellow everywhere... bleecch.

John
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Jumper3- You're not the only one bummed about the lack of a moonroof option with the 5MT. I'd say there's perhaps a 50/50 chance of that option being offered in the future. The odds of the color palette growing are significantly less IMO (they've stayed fairly constant since the Forester's original introduction in 98). Close to $30K?!?! You can get an XT MT for a little over $24k.

John- Interesting perspective :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    imyodaddyimyodaddy Member Posts: 20
    Setting up the situation. A black Nissan 350Z, being driven by a man who does not have to lug kids around is next to me, driving the Yard Ape Express at a redlight. The entrance onto the interstate is about a quarter mile away. We both want to be first to the merge lane. I did not punch it until I saw the front of his car lift up. Then I decided, why not? By the time we got close enough to the entrance, I was pulling away from him. The merge lane does the cloverleaf thing onto the highway, he's on my rear. When the straight comes, we both decide to mash the pedal again. Same ending. I'm laughing my, uh, posterior off. Here I am driving a car that C&D accuses of being too much "mommy" to be a man's car, and I'm the one in the lead.

To top it off, 2 kids in their dad's Honda S2000 pull up next to me at a car wash. "Hey, that's the XT, isn't it?" "That's got the STI's engine! What a car!" They asked the questions, I answered.

Yep, if I were a puddle you wouldn't even get the soles of your feet wet.
  • Options
    wait for a rainy day. nothing accelerates like this car in wet conditions. you will leave the porsche carreras many car lengths behind across the intersection lol
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    That's why I bought this car. I don't have kids and would look ok in a Mustang, but I hate pretense, flashiness and ego. I had an s2000 pull up very quickly behind me on a two lane country road. When he caught up to me he must have known what the XT was because he quickly backed off. It's great having a car that an s2000 is afraid to try and pass on a two lane road. And even better when it looks like something a soccor mom would drive.
  • Options
    Way to go guys! Who would have imagined a year ago that the lowly Forester (the Rodney Dangerfield of compact SUVs) would be intimidating the likes of 350Zs or S2000s?

-Frank P.
  • Options
    johnb2251johnb2251 Member Posts: 33
    Uh, this is pretty puerile.
  • Options
    another reason to buy this car
  • Options
    Well of course it's puerile. That's what makes the XT such a contradiction: from outward appearances, it epitomizes the practical family vehicle but beneath the hood lurks every boy-racers dream. So essentially, you can have your cake and eat it too!

-Frank P.

Legal Disclaimer: Always drive responsibly
  • Options
    tmstevietmstevie Member Posts: 30
    This is what makes the XT so special. Do you have an XT- or XT envy?? ;>
  • Options
    I have an XT. I just cringe when I hear about the stupid things people do on the road when trying to out-race someone else.
  • Options
    its what makes life fun.
  • Options
    You sound a little tense...

Because a few guys are online goofing around --w/discussion-- about how quick out of the gate their otherwise innocuous- looking cars are doesn't make them childish, nor their actions "stupid." Now, if they start talking about how they set up the infirm in the nursing home parking lot as an obstacle course, that will be another matter altogether.

For now, I digress. I'm sure most folks would prefer to get back to the specific matters of their cars, not their actions....
  • Options
    forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    Let's hear some data about the "real world" performance of the XT! How about some times and performance data on hauling the kids, dogs, groceries, etc., to school, the store, doctors, soccer games, etc. Were you able to get there faster and on time? Make more errands in less time? Come on! Let's hear it!
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    okay, guys...you gotta devise some code language to use when posting tales of barely-legal passing , etc, in your XT, especially when its the wife driving! Otherwise,the word will get out and, by the time I get a XT, folks will be pulling off to the side of the road to let XT's by.

Mark
  • Options
    racing toward a lane merge is stupid. and I didn't say they were childish - just the topic.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If a few cops read this morning's posts, the word is going to get out in precients all across North America and you're going to wind up making life miserable for the non-XT Turbo Forester drivers as well.

Save the yahoo stuff for the tracks please, and stay safe out there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    noted.
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Did I ever mention I hate it when other people work on my cars? Took the XT back in yesterday after they agreed to fix the boost gauge alignment (they also had to straighten out the steering wheel after I adjusted the column).

And I agreed to let them do the 1000 mile oil change (my back is bothering me).

Gauge is now straight, steering wheel straight, oil is way too high on stick (slip said 5 qts), and oh yeah - I no longer have any dash illumination.

Just crying......

Larry
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I'm not a street racer nor do I condone it. However, I am interested in hearing about the real-world performance of the XT. One of the few shortcomings of my Forester S has been its acceleration in on-ramp/off-ramp/passing maneuvers and I expect that the XT's power will remedy that situation, albeit at the cost of using premium unleaded. If someone has tales of how they were able to avoid an accident thanks to the XT's power and handling I'd like to read about it. (I think that would fall into the category of what the manufacturers call "active safety.")

Ed
  • Options
    ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    Just an aside here. Is there any truth to the concerns about turbos running so hot that they cause problems within the engines...generally speaking? Or is this just an old view of the turbo world?

My brother has an older turbo charged Subaru Legacy and he says stay away from all turbos. I can't believe this is true now.

Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    rslnp1rslnp1 Member Posts: 29
    Just purchased a Silver XT Auto with turbo guage, rubber mats, cargo net and security system upgrade. MSRP $27087 paid 24889 plus $49 in processing fees plus tax and tags. This deal was $149 over invoice at Fitzmall in MD. This replaces a 2001 Forester which will be returned next month on the expiration of a lease. Wife loved the old Forester so much that it had to be replaced. It didn't take too much effort for her to appreciate the extra power of the turbo. The deal was financed @ 3.9% over 5 years.
  • Options
    ace1000ace1000 Member Posts: 151
    ontheroadagain: A well-designed, intercooled turbocharger on a properly maintained car should last a long time and not cause problems within the engine.

Turbocharger reliability can vary by car make. You mention that your brother has an older turbocharged Legacy, and his comment suggests that he has had trouble with it. I wonder if there is any information available specifically on how reliable Subaru turbochargers have been?
  • Options
    Walden- I think all manufacturers have made significant improvements in their turbo technology and today's turbos are far more reliable than those of the 80s or early 90s. In fact they've advanced to the point that a cool down period is no longer necessary (except after periods of exceptionally spirited driving).

Richard- Way to go! Sounds like you got a great deal too!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    subkidsubkid Member Posts: 94
    ldfal,

re oil level,

My (NA) Forester originally came with the oil too high on the stick. After the first change (at Subaru dealer, different one), slip said 5l and it's again too high on stick. Now, because 80% of Subarus serviced have the same engine, 2.5l SOHC, I'd think those guys have some measurement to put oil in there. When I asked service rep about it, she said, right amount of oil is 4.7l. My user's manual says 4l. I don't know what to think, but I'd believe that the difference isn't too high to really matter.

k
  • Options
    f1_roxf1_rox Member Posts: 23
    Just had my XT's wind shield cracked by a stone while standing still. It left an 1-inch crack. I'm reluctant to call for the replacement price, as I know it's going to be high. Does anyone know how much it cost roughly?

I'm planning to leave the way it is unless the crack gets wider. Should I be worried?

I have heard that the insurance covers it?

Thanks
  • Options
    a. It costs a lot! Seriously, because of the heating element, it's expensive to replace ($800?)

b. Yes you should worry, cracks almost always spread, often at the most inopportune times.

c. Yes the insurance will cover it. In some states it's covered under the comprehensive (which usually has a lower deductible than collision), in others, the state mandates full replacement coverage (zero deductible).

d. If it's a small enough crack, you may be a candidate to have it filled. This is a relatively new procedure that reportedly works quite well. Also, I know that my insurance company waives the deductible if they can fix vs replace the windshield.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    f1_roxf1_rox Member Posts: 23
    Would it my premium to increase? I'm located in NYC...

Should I replace it ASAP or wait until the crack spreads?
  • Options
    bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Mine cracked also, started very small and soon spread from one end to the other of the windshield. This on an X, of course they didn't have it in stock, reminded me back in the eighties when I waited 2 months for parts after an accident on some lackluster Subaru. Believe it or not on this vehicle the spare tire was in the engine compartment, uder the hood.

The good news is that if you are in Mass, or some similar state it's completely covered and they come to your work place and do an excellent job, even replacing the sticker.

However after replacement I starting getting wacked again up on rt 128, it was full of dings after a month.
  • Options
    stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    One person posts a nice message about a fun (and sounded fairly safe to me, or did anyone miss the part about "one quarter mile away"?) experience in their car, and someone else gets their panties in an uproar!
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    If your insurance won't cover windshield replacement and you don't want to pay for a new one, get that crack fixed promptly! Cracks can suddenly grow when the window is subject to thermal expansion and contraction.

I learned the hard way with my Forester. I had a small crack, about one inch long and decided not to do anything about it. For a week or so, it was fine until one day, I was walking up to my Forester to go home and noticed that the crack spread to about 2ft. long over a period of 8 hours.

The procedure for crack and chip fixing is simple. Most auto-glass places will offer it and the repair is guaranteed for the life of the windshield. The cost is only about $40 and it can be done in just 20 minutes. Note, however that they can not repair cracks in the driver's direct line of sight.

As for turbos, Subarus have been turbocharging engines for quite some time and I believe that you can expect as long an engine life as a NA motor. Also, keep in mind that the XT turbo is relatively mild boost.

Ken
  • Options
    ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for your replies. I'll ignore my brother - his is a second hand one and may very well not have been taken care of properly.

Congrats on your new purchase rsnlp1!
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Get the windshield fixed - my van got a major "star" from a rock - the guy came out to my house, looked at it, said he could drill out the star and pl;ug it, and if I ever wanted a brand new windshield, it woudl still be covered. Cool. So then I asked him to take a look at my Acura which had a million tiny chips, almost like it had been sandblasted. The car had 150,000 miles on it. When the sun hit it at a certain angle you could barely see. He says "I'll bring you a new windshield tomorrow at 8 am" He put the new one in in about 30 minutes. Free. (I'm in California - not sure if it is a state-by-state thing, but it probably is)

ON topic: I like the improvements to the Forester. A friend has the WRX and loves it. Why a Subaru Forester instead of Volvo XC70 or a VW Wagon with AWD or the Audi, or....?

In 50 words or less.

:-)
  • Options
    In a lot less than 50 words:

The Forester XT offers the best combination of price, performance, reliability, and utility of any SUV. In additon, it has the best safety scores of any compact SUV.

Having said that, the Forester isn't for everyone. If you routinely transport three or more adults for extended periods of time or if you need to tow more than 2000 lbs or if you are in to serious off-roading, you should look elsewhere. But if you only need a decent amount of utility and versatility with a major dose of fun thrown in, the XT certainly merits a test drive.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Why a Subaru Forester instead of Volvo XC70 or a VW Wagon with AWD or the Audi, or....?

Rally-proven engineering combined with every-day functionality that won't break the bank.

Ken
  • Options
    subkidsubkid Member Posts: 94
    >>>Rally-proven engineering combined with every-day functionality that won't break the bank.<<<

sounds like one-liner for a resume :)
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Because the Jetta AWD Wagon is not available in the US, the Passat AWD wagon is quite a bit bigger (*), the Volvo and Audi wagons are way more expensive, and the Audi has very little ground clearance.

(*) Plus personal reason: I already have one of those :)

- D.
  • Options
    sounds like one-liner for a resume

Elevator pitches are the way to go! It also pretty much sums it up for me. :-)

Ken
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Why a Subaru Forester instead of Volvo XC70 or a VW Wagon with AWD or the Audi, or....?

In 50 words or less.

I'll add to what's already been posted:

Comparable performance, less expensive to buy and maintain. What you arguably lose in luxury or prestige you gain in long-term reliability. Buy the Forester, put the savings to better use.

Ed
  • Options
    i had one the other day. in a blinding rain, i crested a hill on a corner. in the middle of the corner, the mailman pulled his truck out of the driveway right into my way. trees to my right, drop off to my left. a two-lane road. speed 30 mph. started to go around him on left but saw he was not stopping so had to dive back to the right ( my those are big trees ahead ). so went from braking to gas quickly and car did what i told it to in a hard rain.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    scratching my head. I can't remember any situation where braking rather than accelerating to avoid a problem wasn't the wiser choice. Having said that, in the middle of a pass on a two lane, when someone pulls out into the opposing lane unexpectedly, the gas might be an option with a turbo (but not necessarily the wisest choice). Still, my '03 Forester disk brakes can stop the car in less than 300 feet in almost any situation. Give me good brakes any day. I had a '66 Mustang GT that was a riot to drive, but the brakes were really dangerous.

John
  • Options
    ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    Red-light-running is becoming increasingly commonplace, at least in my region. Your light goes green, you start moving into the intersection - and only then realize some nut is ignoring the red - often accelerating as he does so, directly toward you. Braking is usually the wrong thing for you to do, because it stops your car directly in his path. An instantaneous burst of strong acceleration - the more, the better - might get you out of his way and avoid a horrific broadside crash. It has saved my bacon several times.
  • Options
    jason_elsjason_els Member Posts: 57
    >>>>>>I can't remember any situation where braking rather than accelerating to avoid a problem wasn't the wiser choice.<<<<<

On a drive to college in Ohio one night I looked in rearview mirror to see two tractor trailers racing each other. I floored it to make it to the next exit and barely made it. Had I attempted to slow down and pull to the median I would have been splattered. THAT is how fast they were going.
  • Options
    For me, the insistence of a manual tranny, AWD, horsepower -and more SUV than Wagon- narrowed the field very quickly. It's a tough combination to find. Sure wish I had a sunroof....
  • Options
    bpraticobpratico Member Posts: 23
    I used the "Product Recommendation" category under the "Contact" option on Subaru's web site to ask them to include the moonroof option with MT. Suggest everyone that feels the same way, do likewise.

The more customers that ask, the better likelihood tbey will offer it .....
  • Options
    john284john284 Member Posts: 71
    Talking about close calls! Once I stopped in the left lane of intersection waiting for the green light to go straight, and the light went green I shifted into first gear, and car was one car length in the intersection, as I was shifting into second gear, a black blur just swooshed past my car in front, brake smokeing, spinning around and ending turning around 180 degree sitting on the other side of the road. By now, my car was in second gear and going around 30 mph. Had I had an auto epuipped car, I would be broadsided big time. The long gap between the first and second gear was what saved me and my family...
This discussion has been closed.