Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    subkidsubkid Member Posts: 94
    heard a good advice years ago. Saved my bacon quite a few times:

"when you get in trouble passing on the two line road (car is coming to you from the opposite direction), you have a one second to make a decision wether to press an acelereator or brake pedal. If you don't make that decision in one second, slam brakes as hard as you can..."

I personally believe that, for every story about accelerating to avoid an accident, there are hundred ones where braking did the trick.

K
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    would any of us rather have an accident at 60+ or at less than 20 mph. Choose wisely. If the question is to justify a turbo vs NA just because it might accelerate out of trouble, forget it. The turbo should be chosen for its fun factor and enjoyed wisely.

John
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    It will give you confidence and power enough to safely pass in situations where you wouldn't be able to consider it otherwise. No sane person plans an unsafe pass, but I wonder how many of us have had them turn out closer than we thought they might once in a while?

As the saying goes - "Power to use, not abuse"

Larry
  • Options
    subkidsubkid Member Posts: 94
    what we often tend to forget is that it isn't only us that count in the various situations. We might be confident in our increased ability to pass better/closer with turbo, but what about the other guy. He/she certainly isn't fascinated with your new XT and its new found abilities. All he/she sees is a fast approaching car, and his/hers reaction is anybody's guess. Same applies to other situations. So, I'd say, brake when most of the others would brake and speed up accordingly.

K
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Subaru Crew chat starts in ~2 hours.

Link is on the left.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bonvivantbonvivant Member Posts: 27
    Driving in the #1 (fast)lane on stretches of California freeways -- with the flow -- at 80 MPH isn't entirely unusual. I-280 south of San Francisco is an example. It's also not unusual to be so traveling with three abreast. (Of course, if one pauses to reflect on the degree of trust invested in one's fellow drivers, this can all become rather scary.)

It is, thirdly, not that unusual for someone in an SUV (or name your weapon) traveling faster than the flow, cutting in and out, while talking on a cell phone (I'm speaking from direct experience here) to "land" four feet behind one's rear bumper. Sometimes the high beams come on or the slight wiggle in the tail gaters progress indicates his (usually, "his") impatience that one is "taking his lane".

Abhorring left lane bandits almost as much as I do tail gaters, nothing is more satisfying or safe, IMO, than being able to drop down a gear, accelerate into whatever space is available, signal, and move over a lane -- as quickly as possible. This does three things: it gets one out harm's way in the shortest possible duration; it (might) convey to a partially attentive moron behind one that his behavior is stupid, unnerving and dangerous; and, I suppose it feeds one's ego a bit to have enough power under one to be able to choose not to get hammered.

I'm aware that the slow lane can offer respite at 65 or 70, and often that's as fast as I'll go. But, the reality of one who has done route sales for years in Bay Area traffic is that after one has sat in traffic jams in San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco -- all on the same day -- the call of an open stretch of road on which one can go fast enough to get a ticket is liberating to what remains of one's soul.

If this sounds like alien talk or craven rationalizing, I can understand. You haven't driven such a path to earning a living. It surely does make one a little goofy. That's why I'm dialing back.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I commute from San Mateo to Cupertino every day on I-280. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's not unusual for traffic in the #1 lane to hit 90mph.

Normally, I stay in the #1 when there is a steady chain of vehicles moving at the same speed. Once traffic lightens up and there is room in the other lanes I'll promptly move over to allow for others.

What I can't stand are the people who drive in the fast lane at a significantly slower speed than the other lanes. I find that to be a lot more common out here than in the East Coast. There'll be a whole pack of vehicles behind someone who just doesn't get the hint.

Finally, my pet peeve are exactly those folks who weave in rush hour traffic, but aren't good enough drivers to make any progress. They'll be impatiently darting in and out of lanes only to end up behind where they started. I see lots of that too.

Anyway, getting back to topic, it's those brief moments that I wish I had a turbo under there keeping my 2.5L company!

Ken
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Ken - Your West coast commute sounds EXACTLY like my East coast commute (Route 202 in the western suburbs of Philly) except we only have 4 lane (2 each way) "expressways". They're in the process of widening to 6 lanes (3 each way).

DaveM
  • Options
    forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    Your commutes sound like my "middle coast" commutes. I have no patience for drivers who weave in and out of traffic without regard to signalling or other drivers' intervals. That and drivers cruising along in the passing lane 10-20 mph slower than the rest of traffic while talking on their cell phones, oblivious to the world.
  • Options
    grove4grove4 Member Posts: 95
    I have about 3,500 miles and have really been enjoying the car.I had to get the auto b/c the wife does not drive stick,or I would have got that.We are 29 and have our first baby on the way and after the winter we had last year I thought an suv would be my best bet.I knew if I got the x or xs I would be bored with the car.The xt seems to have a little of everything in one car,including not bad gas mileage.I never owned a subaru before but did some research and everything seems very positive,including reliability.we purchased the java black with premium package for 28k.The tires were over inflated which made the car seem rough and buzzy.after I let some air out It feels alot better.But the one thing that drives me nuts is a buzzing sound coming from the passenger side door somewhere above 60mph.Its not the speaker.Took it in once and they couldnt find the problem.I just wish the car was a little more insulated in the cabin.Also,the plastic around the hatch area will scratch really easy.This plastic is on every car now so its not just subaru.Overall I feel I made a good decision and with the winter coming I am sure I will even feel better about it.
  • Options
    cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    Looks like we all have stupid drivers where ever we live. I drive in Toronto all the time and we have our fair share of stupid people here. I know this summer alone I've have had 6 motorcycles pass between my and the car right beside me on hwy 400, yes, on that dotted line that separates the lanes. How stupid is that? And this was at speeds of 75-85 mph. Plus I've seen people use every lane possible to try and get through traffic, even the exit lane to pass! But don't forget the people that think you can pull a trailer in the left lane going 10 mph less than the posted limit. In some places we have up to 8 lanes of traffic going in the same direction. Its so much fun.
  • Options
    ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    It is, thirdly, not that unusual for someone in an SUV (or name your weapon) traveling faster than the flow, cutting in and out, while talking on a cell phone (I'm speaking from direct experience here) to "land" four feet behind one's rear bumper. Sometimes the high beams come on or the slight wiggle in the tail gaters progress indicates his (usually, "his") impatience that one is "taking his lane".

Abhorring left lane bandits almost as much as I do tail gaters, nothing is more satisfying or safe, IMO, than being able to drop down a gear, accelerate into whatever space is available, signal, and move over a lane -- as quickly as possible. This does three things: it gets one out harm's way in the shortest possible duration; it (might) convey to a partially attentive moron behind one that his behavior is stupid, unnerving and dangerous;

Why would the tailgating bully think that? Assuming he thinks at all (which is debatable), I'm guessing your inference is opposite his actual reaction to your maneuver. IMO, he's more likely to think, "Wow - look at that timid rabbit jump to get out of my way! I really scared the crap out of him/her! This tactic really works! I'll use it every time!"
  • Options
    But the one thing that drives me nuts is a buzzing sound coming from the passenger side door somewhere above 60mph

Mine has the same, but from both front doors <sigh>. But even worse is an obnoxious, loud buzzy rattle emanating from the right front airbag area. It's been there since day one. I'll be pretty unhappy if the dealer can't identify and eliminate these rattles on my 3K service visit in a few more weeks.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only '03 Forester with the buzz. It seems to be about 4 inches from my left ear (seat all the way back) somewhere in the door pillar area.

Speaking of speed, the '03 NA engine with 5 speed is quite cozy at 80-85, which is an occasional speed one hits on Fresno area freeways. The overall car is solid and quiet (except for the buzz).

John
  • Options
    The one time I took the car in I got a xs as a loaner.Sounds funny but I thought it road better and quiter than the xt does.Dont get me wrong I like the car but the one thing I cant stand is rattles,or in this case buzzing.Also sometimes at light throttle I here a tinny sound coming from the engine area.Sounds like a heat shield or somthing loose on the exhaust manifold,wouldnt know just speculating.It better not be knocking b/c i never put anything but high test in it so far.We also have a mazda6 that is so quiet and tight that it makes the forester seem worse.Well the mazda is better for a long road trip for those reasons.I know I may sound like Im bitching but man,throw taxes in and you got 30k so the rattles are starting to piss me off.I have another appointment monday so hopefully this time it will be fixed.
  • Options
    Assessments are relative and depend on what one was driving before the XT. That said, in no way would I ever refer to mine as remotely quiet or refined. Combining the engine noise, gear and drivetrain noise, road noise through the tires, buzzy rattles, and wind noise, this is one loud vehicle inside.
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Are they having problems selling Foresters? Even here in MN there are radio adds now about 2004's "Priced to Move!!!" (insert radio sales guy voice).

How come CR-V is selling well over 2x the Forester numbers?
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    While my XT might just be the perfect SUV, my Forester made such an annoying Buzzing noise coming from the Left front Door Panel/Tweeter/Windshield area around the fuse box. The ONLY Certified Subaru Mechanic, and my Salesman claimed they couldn't hear it, the Mechanic was also hard of hearing. It was so bad I asked for my money back! To make a long story short, the Owner of the Dealership was the one to find the problem with a wiring harness right around the mentioned area. While I am happy this was fixed, it took me about 12 Visits to get it taken care of, and I have no confidence in this Dealership that is/was a Daewoo/Mazda Store. I am thinking of the "Added Security" contract, because of the lack of Certified Mechanics, availability of Parts, and Dealers in the Southern Florida area. I know this is regulated Insurance product and is going to cost about $1100 (6 Yr/60K w/ 0 Deductable). The main reason for wanting this, Rental Car and Road Hazard coverage, along with extra SOA factory protection. Because I used a wipey of Rain X, the Service Manager told me I voided my Warranty (I have heard Subaru dealers are getting a lot of practice using this Phrase?),I also had a leaking Tire from the day of delivery and was told no coverage on this item as well. even though it could of been the Rim, or Valve Stem, or the GIANT Thorn I pulled out of the tire before I drove it off the lot. I called SOA, then Yokohama, their local Call Center (in India!)and the bottom line, they could mail me a new Tire for 80 Bucks. Keep in mind my Service Department at Potamkin never spent one second looking at my Car after the Sale. All these items have now been taken care of, however this is an under served area for Subaru Dealers, and with a Turbo I do anticipate problems down the line, why did Subaru need to use Mitsubishi for the Turbo? I owned a Dodge Colt Turbo in the 80's and said I would never own another Mitsubishi product again or a Turbo Car again, even though the Colt was a real kick when it ran! I love my Black XT, any thoughts on the Added Security policy would be appreciated!
  • Options
    I did get the extended warranty with my xt.B/c I have never owned a subaru before and being awd and turbo I wanted some coverage.Anyway your price seems about right.I found out that it wont cover rattles or weather stripping and other items,(you get a list)after the first 3yr 36k warranty.Also,if you dont use the warranty after the time and/or mileage expires you get the money back.I was reminded that it is my responsibility to ask for the money back.So basically depending on what breaks on your car you have to decide if you want to pay cash or use the warranty.Oh yea,I forgot to say that is b/c if you use it even one time for anything at all (after the first manufacturers warranty)you will not get the 1200 dollars back.SO I hope I dont need to use it and if I do It will kind of be like gambling in a sense.Unless of course the repair will cost more than the 1200 you paid already.
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    yall hush 'bout that buzzing noise!
    My wife drives our Audi A6, never listens to the Bose stereo in it, and, for its many maddening quirks, that car is quieter than a crypt at 95 mph ( BTW , this leads to speeding tickets if you're not using the cruise control!). Folks at the audi boards argue over which is the absolutely quietest tire. I'll never get my turbo fix if it buzzes! She will go along with almost anything except noise.

Mark
  • Options
    "Why would the tailgating bully think that? Assuming he thinks at all (which is debatable), I'm guessing your inference is opposite his actual reaction to your maneuver. IMO, he's more likely to think, 'Wow - look at that timid rabbit jump to get out of my way! I really scared the crap out of him/her! This tactic really works! I'll use it every time!'"

By injecting a parenthetical and hopeful "might," I implied my own doubt about the effect the "run-away-and-hide" maneuver could have. But, you know what, by getting the hell out of the way with alacrity, I'm obeying a cardinal rule of the road: to yield to a faster vehicle wanting to pass.

I've yet to encounter a knuckle dragging tail gater (OK, so that's redundant) who seemed capable of learning from anything but a ticket or BAD wreck. Since I'm incapable of issuing the former, and have no stomach for the latter, playing B'rer Rabbit in the briar patch doesn't seem like such a bad strategy.

It's not our job to play sanctimonious or self-sacrificing preacher/ vigilantes by hunkering down in a tail gater's gun sights, while he hovers impatiently at the back bumper. So, I value the ability to get away quickly from such yahoos.

BTW, for those who think it's instructional to touch the brakes in such instances, please don't. I've been close enough to a road rage incident, turned catastrophe, to testify it's a really bad tactic.

If I have to answer to the CHP for touching 95 to escape becoming road kill, so be it. Bless turbo motors.
  • Options
    I failed to italicize the first paragraph of my last post indicating it was a quote from Ballistic.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    spskibumspskibum Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have been in Germany for 3 years and have been to the Subaru dealer here in Stuttgart. They have a 2004 XT/AT with sunroof but no leather. They also have an 04XT/AT with sunroof, & 2-tone paint. We will be returning to the States in January of 04 and are somewhat disappointed that the 2-tone paint is not an option there but seems to be here. Also, but not as big a deal, is having to have leather to have the sun-roof. We have a dog so having to wipe hair off the leather seat will be easier than trying to get it out of cloth.
    Reading through the posts about speeders & tailgaters....The rules of "keep right except to pass & slower vehicles keep right" are strictly adhered to here in Europe. (at least the countries we have driven through). We are currently driving a (cough) Pontiac Grand Am which does "good enough" for right now but I am really looking forward to picking up our new XT when we land. Getting back to the speed thing...Even when I am doing 100MPH + over here I always check the rear views at least twice before pulling out to pass someone. You would be surprised how many people with Audi/BMW/VW wagons are driving at 120MPH +, not to mention the Porches & Mazerati's etc.... Pulling out in front of them doing 95-100 is not a wise decision. We will be moving to the San Diego area and I know from 4 years experience down there that people just pick a lane and camp out in it no matter how fast they are going. You just learn to deal with it, live & let live.
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    I have now made up my mind, I will get the Contract. The Subaru Certified Tech (1 week of training) looked at my XT and told me I needed a new weather stripping to eliminate the Buzz he couldn't hear in the first place. I then looked at another XT, and my other door, and the strip looked the same, not great looking, but not enough to cause a Dashboard rattle. My Dealer stocks $30K worth of Subaru Parts, my XT cost about $30K, I'm sure it's $30K worth of Oil & Oil Filters and that's about it. And to subewannabe, ANYTHING that is annoying in a brand new Car is worth fixing, I have taken rental cars back for less! The XT is an incredible Value packed SUV yet I have noticed in this area they are not selling well, perhaps because Subaru has such a small market share down here. The Car of choice in Miami seems to be a 1988 Toyota Corolla for all my Latin friends!
  • Options
    akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Would you guys please hold the BUZZing bit down? If my wife ever drops by, we'll end up with that silky riding, Quiet 04 Highlander for sure...for that matter, you've got me starting to think Silence Is Golden. Now casting a bit of a lecherous eye at the HLs in the 'hood...

Seriously, if Sube could deliver a quieter cabin - and for $27-30K OTD they ought to be able to - I'd have an XT in the garage right now...

srp
  • Options
    dcdouglasdcdouglas Member Posts: 28
    Thanks to every poster for their helpful information. The dcwife and I plunked down our deposit on a silver XT Premium on Saturday. With the dcwife's VIP status, it could not have been easier.
    After hearing everyone's concern about getting a lot car that had been potentially abused, I wanted to factory order. However, my dealer let me know that a car fitting my needs was already on its way. I will just need to add my options at a later date (was that subaruparts.com?). We should be driving it within a few weeks. This should be a major improvement over my aging 150-something thousand mile legacy wagon. I just hope the dcwife appreciates it every time she gets in it for her daily commute! (dcdouglas is a bike commuter.)

--Cheers,
    ----dcdouglas
  • Options
    Got three - one buzzer in the driver's door, about at elbow level, one rattle somewhere behind the glove compartment, and a squeaker in the rear inside the cabin. I think its the spare tire cover because when I was carrying a 25lb air compressor on the lid, the noise went away. Maybe I'll try some narrow strips of rubber around the mating surface.

The door buzzer is going to wait until I have time to pull apart the door. I'm not going to let the dealership even look at it. First off they'll never hear it, second I'll probably spend the next two nights buffing out the scratches.......

The wife's OB Wagon is definitely the more solidly built of the two. 9500 miles and nary a noise in the cabin. Rather sad considering the price differential between the two.

Larry
  • Options
    there is an excellent soundproofing discussion in the regular Forester board from a couple months back. An extensive project of undercoating was done in several areas of the car. Worth a check. This however, wouldn't address any individual rattles.

John
  • Options
    "I thought I was the only '03 Forester with the buzz. It seems to be about 4 inches from my left ear (seat all the way back) somewhere in the door pillar area."

Are you sure its not in the grab handle above the driver's door? That's where mine buzzed - had to have them R&R th handle and it went away. Drove me nuts till I found it.

HTH
    Larry
  • Options
    rslnp1rslnp1 Member Posts: 29
    I bet we will have the only two DC plated (Taxation Without Representation)Silver XT's. We got ours a week ago with 5 miles on the odometer and have driven it for about 50 miles. No problems so far. It's a blast to drive compared to our leased 2001 Forester S, which gets returned in Nov. I just purchased the Subaru square bar rack for my Thule kayak carriers since my Thule rack that fits the 2001 Forester does not fit the 2004's rails. Anyone need a Thule rack system for 98-2002 or an armrest extension?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, I added a grab handle to my Forester, for myself. It's attached with two bolts, just make sure those are tight (for many reasons).

Wish I did need a rack. I actually have the hitch-mounted bike rack.

-juice
  • Options
    I will check it out. The buzz is VERY slight and only occurs occasionally. The reason I notice it is because it is right next to my ear somewhere. I was thinking the door pillar, or it could be in the adjustable seat belt set up. It sounds subsurface, so it could be a wire harness clip inside the pillar.

John
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    John- I had a similiar buzz off and on. I thought it was in the door pillar also but now I think it was in the rear door right behind the pillar (I could thump on the upper front part of the door and get something to vibrate). For sure sounds are tricky and it's hard to try and isolate one behind you and drive at the same time. Maybe you could try riding in the rear seat while some else drives and see if you can isolate the sound. In any case, mine seems to have gone away on its own.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Could you please repeat what you said about the extended warranty getting refunded if you don't use it?

I know I heard right, but I can't believe that this could be true. After all, we are talking risk and averages, this policy doesn't make sense.

John
  • Options
    f1_roxf1_rox Member Posts: 23
    For those who have armrest, is it functional in the sense that it actually allows the arm to rest? Does it obstruct shifting at all?
  • Options
    No shifting interference, but it's too low, too far back, and has no padding on top. Mainly, it just adds another storage cubby on top of th existing one.
  • Options
    I find perfect. But my seat is all the way back and a slight incline on the seat back. I assume the '03 NA Forester (my car) is the same as the turbo. The armrest has padding, is comfortable, doesn't interfere with manual shifting, and is one of the nice touches for the car IMO. You have to try it yourself to get the answer.

John
  • Options
    I bought an extended warranty too, but it sure wasn't with the understanding that it could be refunded if never used. I still can't imagine that this is true, it makes no sense. Is yours a Subaru Gold warranty, or some other company?

Why would someone take all the risk and then not get compensated? It begs the question, why wouldn't everyone buy the warranty then? Sorry for all your trouble, but don't get me going on mechanics and sloppiness, there isn't enuf room to spew it all out.

John
  • Options
    John, if your armrest extension has a padded top, yours and mine are entirely different items. The top of mine has about as much give as the top of the dash. In other words, essentially none.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Just looked up my 2 warranties (for a 98 Legacy and 02 WRX), there is a pro rata refund if you cancel after 60 or 90 days (they changed it to 90 for the 02) based on the the number of days the warranty was in force or mileage relative to the time/mileage terms of the warranty plus a $25 service charge (which is waived in some states).
  • Options
    iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Member Posts: 56
    I found my first rattle in my 2004 Forester last week, and yes, it was annoying. Deja vu: I found my first rattle on my 2000 Forester during the first month of driving too. It took me weeks to find the cause (intermittent rattle, the worst kind), and how to correct it (regular greasing of the latch on the tailgate). I had just traded in an Accord for my brand new 2000 Forester. Spoiled by Honda, that rattle drove me nuts.

But it was the first and last rattle, in more than 50,000 otherwise trouble-free miles. And though my 2004 has one small (and easily correctable) rattle it has thus far been the only flaw I've found. And I have looked hard. In every other way it's met or exceeded my expectation.

None of this lets Subaru off the hook for defects of any kind. Judging from Consumer Reports surveys it appears the incidence of all Subaru defects is creeping up. Forester's defect incidence seems to have crept up less (if at all), and it could still be the best of Subaru's pack, wrt to reliability.

To those thinking about a Forester I'd say this: a Honda it's not, but that's both good and bad. Good because what a Forester does well, it still does a lot better than a Honda (eg AWD, brakes, occupant protection in a crash). But when it comes to "fit and finish", the Forester is not a Honda. I'd give it a "B" to Honda's "A". For me, that's enough.

I have a friend who drives a Volvo that's had many rattles and some significant defects such as an AC failure, and other electrical problems, during his first 10,000 miles! But it wasn't a "deal breaker" for him. He bought it knowing reliability is below most Japanese vehicles. For him it was Volvo's "A" ergonomics, collision avoidance & crash protection that really mattered. For that he was willing take the kind of hit to "reliability" that would compel others (eg me) to opt for a Forester.

Know thy vehicle. Know thy dealership. Above all, know thyself: what do you need? And what are you willing to give up to get it?

Jake,
    PS: To the member who wondered about Mitsubishi as OEM for the XT turbo, as I recall Subaru has had a long relationship with them. I believe they're the OEM of the VDC for the Outback too. Don't know the MTBF of the VDC but I haven't heard any complaints for from VDC owners I know. I've driven the OB VDC (love the "yaw control") and found that Mitsubishi product performed "as advertised" in a Subaru.
  • Options
    Jake - you're correct IMO about accepting less than perfect if its the vehicle that best fills your bill. My main gripe, and this applies to anything that costs over 20K, is that rattles, squeaks and buzzes just shouldn't be an issue. They're not rocket science. That and the utter failure of most dealership mechanics to hear what we hear. Maybe hearing loss is a requirement to be a mechanic (and I use the term loosely) these days.

That being said, and despite the wife's OBW being much quieter, I'm very, very, happy overall with my XT.

BTW - If you have a Gold level warranty, and if you take advantage of the 10-pay plan, and if you cancel it during the ten months, or within 90 days after the 10 months, then you get 100% refunded. I'm absolutely sure of that much, because I just did it.

Don't know about how well the pro-rata part works.

Larry
  • Options
    the armrest. You know, it is so comfortable that I assumed it was padded. It does have a soft vinyl cover on it. I paid attention to how I use it on the commute home, my elbow is on it 90% of the time, even when I shift. It is kinda like a comfortable pair of underwear, you never think about it unless you conciously put your mind to it. I should have doubted myself before I doubted you! Thanks,

John
  • Options
    All the talk here had me worried if I got ripped off.So I called the dealer today and asked about the refund.And as I said if I dont use the extended warranty I do get my money back.The warranty is the gold package or whatever the name.However the refund comes from a company called pro guard.So I hope I wont need to use it.Also I have this in writing.Again,I have to ask for the money back at the end of the 6yr/60k.
  • Options
    Is that a Subaru extended warranty, or an extended warrnty that covers a Subaru? Difference being one is issued directly from Subaru, refund handled through Subaru. Pro Guard sounds like an aftermarket warranty - not that it matters if it works for you.

Larry
  • Options
    pleiad7pleiad7 Member Posts: 59
    Subaru's Gold Plus extended warranties do in fact offer a full refund of the premium if you never make a claim throughout the life of the policy, as pointed out here: http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/security.html
    "These plans come with a free, money-back guarantee- if you never use the plan benefits during the coverage period, your money is refunded in full- YOU CAN'T LOSE! Contact us with the short form below..."

Regarding the armrest extension, has anyone noticed that it appears to be just a tad narrower than the console it is mounted on? Makes it look like a cheap aftermarket add-on in my opinion. Also, you can only comfortably rest your arm on it if the seat is moved far enough back - it works for me but the husband is complaining since his legs are slightly shorter than mine.
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I followed the link. I read the text. I still can't believe it. How is it they can refund the entire price at the end of the warranty if unused, yet cancelling an unused policy midway through only nets a partial, prorated refund?

I had a Subaru Gold warranty on my 2001 Outback, which I traded a few months ago for a 2004 WRX. When I traded the car in, I cancelled the service contract and received a prorated refund for the purchase price of the plan (in this case, 48% of the plan remained, so I received 48% of the purchase price). If I had kept the car through the warranty period, the policy would have expired, and I would have been eligible for nothing in a refund (according to the text of Subaru's policy).

It makes no business sense that they would assume the risk of a payout over the term of the policy, only to refund the price if unused. I'll have to investigate this further -- it just sounds too good to be true and I certainly not how things operated just 3 months ago with that Gold policy.

Brian
  • Options
    Just followed the link. Since I bought a Subaru Gold warranty last month on the 10 pay plan, I'm going to re-read the fine print again.

The trick would be to make absolutely sure you never used any part of the warranty - on a Gold warranty that covers so many things, it seems like a single charge could knock you out of the refund zone. I would imagine you'd have to be very conscientious whenever you took it into the shop to make sure the dealer didn't bang on it without telling you.

Larry
  • Options
    Thats only the extended warranty you want to avoid.You can use the original subaru warranty all you want.Just use cash if the repair is not to expensive.This is what I was saying about ten post ago.
This discussion has been closed.