Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    galantigalanti Member Posts: 2
    I haven't read all the posts here, by any means, but I thought I'd just give a quick review of our new MT XT. The dealer brought it to our house on Halloween, and we got it for $500 under invoice, which I was pretty happy with. The car is my wife's, so she has more time in it then I do, but she's thrilled with it.

I suspect it's all relative, but neither of us have any complaints with the gearing right now. The shift to 2nd could come a little later, but highway cruising is in the same range as our other cars (a 1.9L 4 cyl and a 2.4L 4 cyl). Highway noise is quieter then our other vehicles, and seems at least as quiet as the CR-V, which is the other vehicle we were thinking about. Our vehicle doesn't have any dealer installed options, and I haven't heard a squeek or rattle yet (knock on wood).

I certainly haven't gotten on the engine yet, but it seems to have plenty of power, especially for passing. Another thing my wife is happy about is the turning radius. It certainly isn't earth shattering, but compared to her previous car it's much better. As someone else mentioned, we're still trying to get the hang of the Auto climate control, but the manual controls work well enough.

It hasn't even been a week yet, but we couldn't be happier with our purchase at this point in time.

Ben
  • Options
    spinynorman3spinynorman3 Member Posts: 1
    We have a week old XT with AT. The vehicle meets all expectations, except for an odd noise coming from the AT when it is cold and 1st gear is engaged. It sounds like fishing line spooling out from a reel, and lasts about 2-3 seconds after the car starts moving. There seems to be no actual slippage and the takeoff is smooth. The sound is less apparent as the transmission warms up. I have owned a SVX with AT in the past, and its transmission was silent. The dealer "assures" me that this sound is normal and common in AT Foresters. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    I'm betting much of the SUVness of the Forester's handling can be worked out easily. 17" tires, up the roll bar size, and see what aftermarket comes up with for springs and struts, nevermind the WRX/STi parts bin that can be raided. Will never equal the Impreza thanks to physics, but can get 9.9/10 of the way there.

-B
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Doing exactly that - upping the sway bar size, and going to 17" wheels and tires (3 seasons) - has helped the handling of my '00 Forester immensely. I'll be interested to see what comes out of the aftermarket, as well as STi and "satellite" Prodrive, to improve handling of the '03 and newer cars. Some of it actually is starting to see the light of day, at least from STi (JDM Cross Sports model).

Ed
  • Options
    joyridea4joyridea4 Member Posts: 48
    There is a book on the market that is titled "Don't sweat the small stuff and it is all small stuff." Except for Health family and friends. Automobiles are nice to have, but your health, family and friends are much more important.
    We are very fortunate to be able to have and be able to drive any kind of vehicle. The guy I pass every night at 11PM riding his bike into a city in upstate New York , in rain, snow, and all kinds of weather probably would be very happy to have the opportunity to own and drive a XT forester. I am amazed at his ability to withstand freezing weather on his bike probably heading for work while I am sitting on my heated seats.
    The best thing about the quantity and quality of vehicles out there is that we have choices that we can make. The best thing about that is if we make the wrong choice them we just need to fix it. Over the years I made three bad vehicle choices. These vehicles did not make the cut and went down the road.
    I am not a car expert by any means. I know where the gas goes in. I read all I can about a vehicle which includes this forum and make the best informed choice I can.
    I going to get off my soap box and go back to reading what I hope to be very useful insights and information.
    I think if we follow Juice Man's lead and offer much valued infomation in his professional presentation that we can't go wrong.
    On another note: Lite one congrats on your new vehicle. Glad everything went well for you. You are already ahead of me in miles. (450) as I speak. I also opted for the security system but I do not hear the chirp. I tried turning it on and off but do not hear it. The lights flash but that is it.
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Hmm, don't be too sure about that biker! I rode to work 8 miles each way most of the year, except when there was a fresh snowfall making the roads of Boston more of a mess than they usually are.

But then again, I don't have a Forester XT... Hmmm

To stay on topic, I assume the Forester is a year behind the Impreza on which it is based in terms of chassis upgrades? We won't be seeing a heavily revised Forester to the 2006 model year or so, correct?

-B
  • Options
    lite1lite1 Member Posts: 26
    You might already know this: The scurity system has two modes (user and valet), the latter for when you might have car parked by an attendant. The user mode allows for at least two settings and this is toggled. In one setting the car gives both light and audible chirp signals to indicate its status. In the other it just uses lights (and eliminates what some feel is an annoying sound that could disturb neighbors). You toggle things from the remote keyless entry (unlock doors using Unlock/disarm button then simultaneously hold for at least two seconds he Unlock and Lock buttons). See page 2-8 of manual. P.S. Appreciate your soap box perspective - a good book. Edward (S. Oregon)
  • Options
    bpraticobpratico Member Posts: 23
    "It's a better vehicle on treacherous roads than an SUV."

"The Subaru Forester is more fun to drive than any sport-utility vehicle and will run circles around them. It handles like a car and can be driven like one. It rides well and takes bumps very well."

"The cabin is quiet, even at triple-digit speeds, as we learned on the high-banked oval at Talladega Motor Speedway."

"But it dazzled us on the slalom course. There were more than 30 SUVs of all sizes there, and the Forester XS was the hands-down winner in the slalom. It felt like a sports car as it weaved through the cones at more than 40 mph, when some of the other SUVs struggled at 30-35. It was precise, quick and steady, and was the only SUV that could clip the cones with control."

"When it comes to versatility there's no vehicle like the Subaru Forester. It has it all: performance, reliability, economy and function. Subaru's engineering and track record are exceptional."

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=1471
  • Options
    It felt like a sports car as it weaved through the cones at more than 40 mph...

See that, Loosh? ;-D

Ed
  • Options
    jimeejimee Member Posts: 9
    Hi all, a proud new owner of an AT XT here, with all of 247 mis. on my first new car ever (at age 36!!!)

There was a post (#489 on 7/27/03 by ace 1000) about the AT tranny hunting b/w 3rd and 4th gears while cruising. I have experienced this as well as hesitation b/w ALL gears. I am trying to avoid "jumping" on the gas pedal during these formative moments for my engine, and am wondering if perhaps that is my culprit. Has anyone else with the AT experienced this hesitation?

Manual does state that battery disconnect or change of tranny fluid would cause some "unusual" tranny behavior until computer relearns optimal shift points, so I am wondering if that may be the reason as well and things will smooth out with time.

Or maybe I just got a lemon :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    Jimee ... I have driven just over 700 miles in 4 days and find the tranny to be very smooth under all conditions. It is significantly smoother than the Toyota Avalon that it is replacing. Sorry, I can not help out with ideas of what your hesitation problem/soultion might be. Edward (S. Oregon)
  • Options
    deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Some of you pose questions and/or describe a problem but,---your profile has NO E-mail address.
    Perhaps some posters do not want their comments on this board but, maybe want to answer you or reply by E-Mail. Just a thought . ????

Deadeye
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Town Hall is a community - it doesn't exist to help people email each other, not to mention that most people don't want unsolicited email.

Share your stories so we can all benefit.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    When I first picked up my XT I thought the way it would shift was very strange, however the Computer for the Transmission learns your Driving habits and adjusts to your style, it should get better, don't try and re adjust it by removing the Battery at this time. You did not get a Lemon, and that gives me an idea, how bout' a Yellow XT. Still waiting on news about Subaru-Warranty.com, Try submitting an inquiry to them, they wont call you back, because they are not really real!
  • Options
    iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Member Posts: 56
    For those first gen Forester owners out there who are thinking about a second gen Forester, I think you'll find 2004 adds a lot value on ice and snow.

My initial (in city) experiences suggests 2004 AWD is more responsive vs first generation AWD system. ABS w/EBD (on 2004 XS AT w/OEM tires) I find to be clearly superior on snow & ice vs ABS on 2000S.

Bottom line: notwithstanding deeper tread (ie new OEM tires), my 2004 tracks and handles better and stops quicker than my old 2000S (even when it had new OEM tires).

Juice, you got it right: many reviewers, even the ones that should know better such as CR, discount or ignore the numerous improvements from the first to second generation Foresters, probably because they were made incrementally rather than in just one model year. And maybe because the improvements require some careful examination to appreciate.

Jake
    PS: Is it too late to rename the second generation "Forester Gump", get Tom Hanks to replace Lance?
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    No problems with the A/T. I think it is very smooth after 2,800 miles. I do notice that if I let up on the gas(for one reason or another)when the transmission is ready to shift it does do a "harsh" shift instead of the normal very smooth shift but I wouldn't call it hesitation nor "hunting". It might take some time to "learn" your driving habits, but if you are unhappy with it don't hesitate to havce the dealer look at it.
  • Options
    jimeejimee Member Posts: 9
    Thanks all for your quick and thorough posts on my note above. After posting last night, I did take the car out for another spin and was less gentle with the gas pedal, and shifting was a bit smoother (but around 3500 rpm for both 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.) Guess the car knows me better than I do, as I do like to move quickly...

Anyone else find the rear tire inflation recommendation truly bizarre? An 8 pound range for a "max load" of 900 lbs?

Where are the rest of you running your rear tires? I figured I'd split the diffence and run them at 32 lbs. unless I have a truly full car (gear + 3 or 4 people).
  • Options
    bsumpterbsumpter Member Posts: 35
    I'm running 34 on the front, 30 on the back when empty - didn't like the way it felt with less up front (too much understeer), and adding much more starts negatively affecting the ride quality.
    It had 38/38 when it left the dealer, which was great on the back roads but not so great on the expressway expansion joints! I spend a bunch of time on the expressway...
  • Options
    iggsoiggso Member Posts: 31
    I read in brochures that Automatic XT is rated at 2000 pounds. Then in the owners manual I read that the Automatic Turbo Forester is rated at 2400 pounds. What is the correct information?
  • Options
    Have silver car and the black decal really sticks out. Can one just peel it off carefully? Concerned about leaving an ugly adhesive mark on the roof rack rail. Any advice? Edward (S. Oregon)
  • Options
    There are some tips in Badge/emblem removal techniques. I don't know if the peanut butter trick will work for this one!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Just made my first service appointment at Potamkin Subaru/Mazda/Daewoo in Miami. Does it matter that they just shove on the wrong Oil Filter and use 10/30w Oil instead of 5/30w as the Manual requires? Don't ask them about "crush washers" either, they just re use the same washer It's bad enough that this Dealership has NO Subaru certified Mechanics and that they still wear Daewoo Shirts. WARNING, stay away from any Dealership using the Potamkin name or affiliated with the Planet Automotive Group Nationwide!
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Thats why I do my own oil changes even though friends think I'm nuts. I bet they put on dry filter too ( instead of filling it with oil before putting it on).
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    When I asked mine to prime the filter I had to explain to him what that meant.....

Ditto on the DIY oil and filter changes - my friends think I'm 'round the bend. Actually I am, but that's another story

Larry
  • Options
    bsumpterbsumpter Member Posts: 35
    I do know my dealer at least used the correct filter, because they didn't have it in stock the first visit (even after calling ahead). And of course they figured this out after they'd drained the oil - so they ended up doing the oil change twice. I couldn't wait around for the filter to be picked up so they filled it back up, ended up coming back in a couple days later & they started over - all for free, but what a pain...

The second one went a little smoother as they now keep them in stock - apparently I was the first XT owner to need an oil change. Guess I'll be buying a few filters for in the future, going to the dealer isn't very convenient & nobody else has the filters at all.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think all XTs are rated for 2400 lbs. It's the auto non-turbos that can only tow 2000.

-juice (another DIY oil changer)
  • Options
    Been probably 20 years since I did my own oil changes consistently. Learned then to put oil in filter but I can not remember the reason for doing this. Why a good idea?

If you DIY oil changes or other required maintenance but not at a Subie dealership: have there been any problems in getting warranty service under the basic warranty? under the Gold Plus extended warranty? Aside from keeping cash register receipts for Oil filter and oil purchases for DIY, or for service done at a third party, what are people doing to prove that maintenance was done when it was supposed to?

Since I am considering purchasing extended warranty this become an even bigger issue to make sure that I do not void the warranty. Edward (S. Oregon)
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    You want to prime the filter so the pump doesn't cavitate on start-up. Also, for those first few seconds you really don't want to starve the engine for oil i.e. run dry.

People argue the pros and cons of filter priming, but I can't see as it would ever hurt anything. If you want to see the difference watch your oil light after you do a filter change without a primed filter, and then again with a primed filter at the next change. When I've done that the light always goes out sooner with a primed filter.

Quaker State has some good articles on filters and background information on oil changes in general on their website. FWIW - they argue that a pump can lose its internal prime if you let the oil drain too long. They give instructions on how to re-prime the pump, but it sounds like something I'd rather avoid altogether.

I suppose the design of the pump must have some effect on that.

As regards to warranty work, I save all my oil and filter slips. I also buy my filters from the dealer, as I do any other maintenance parts (air filter, cabin air filter, crush washers, fuel filter, etc). My dealer's parts dept is pretty good and generally competitive with the web. I figure the good will makes up any cost differences. Also, if its something I figure they can't mess up too badly or I just don't have the equipment to do, I'll let them do it. Then I'll check it afterwards. :<)

I also asked them outright if me doing my own work would cause warranty issues down the road. They said "Save your slips". That, and its usually not to hard to tell a car that's been well maintained from one that's been neglected.

HTH

Larry
  • Options
    I never bother priming the filter and often I'll let the sump drain for half an hour while I tool around Town Hall. It's a messy enough job as it is w/o juggling a filter loaded with oil. Been doing it this way for 30 years and I tend to drive 'em for a decade or longer.

Today was a red letter maintenance day for me - filled up the Outback with gas for the first time since Sept. 23rd, which means the oil did get checked once in the last six weeks :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    As always this forum is great. Thanks for responses that give me divergent viewpoints both of which seem to have merit at least for that person. Will have to figure out what approach I will take. Since I tend toward OCD in many areas of my life, I'll probably prime the filter when I DYI, ask for it elsewhere but not freak out if they don't do it. Edward
  • Options
    bonvivantbonvivant Member Posts: 27
    Having picked up my new XT MT yesterday, I can confirm, if you haven't tried it already, that heating the sticker on your roof rail with a hair dryer is all it takes to remove it safely.

For others of you I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts about Subies and XTs. I had decided weeks ago that the XT would be the right choice for me. Then, in a fit of mischief I challenged several local dealers to sell me an STi for a couple thousand below MSRP. I'd already hit up four or five others who'd come back with $500 to $750 off -- take it or leave it. Then, one said OK, and even let me take it on an extended, chaperoned test drive. I was stunned and confused. What a tranny, what reflexes, what modulated grunt. Then back-to-back I drove the XT MT (till then I'd only driven an AT).

My motorhead, boy racer drives wanted the STi ... big time. My more rational and intuitive faculties whispered XT. Seat of the pants gently proclaimed, "This thing just fits and feels good".

These forces knocked around inside for two or three days, leaving me semi-incapacitated. It wasn't as much a case of which is better, faster or more capable (despite juggling megs of data about Subarus), as it was, which suits me better at this point in my life. The extra money for the STi entered the equation, but wasn't the deciding factor.

Someone pointed out in this forum recently how fortunate we are to have the luxury of such choices. It came down to chocolate or vanilla: what do I seem to hanker more for, right now.

So, what emerged is a white XT. My first "performance car" since my E36 M3 went away over a year ago. I'm very pleased to have the fastest, most utilitarian and cool refrigerator on my block. And after several years, I should own it, instead of still owing $30,000+ on a lease. Live and learn, hopefully.
  • Options
    How do you do it with that Outback of yours? I would like to follow in your footsteps one day, however at 250 Miles per Tank (16MPG) I find myself visiting my Dealer (of Gasoline) every Week. The XT is a real kick, plenty o'fun available :)
  • Options
    Aside from some pricing assistance from Edmunds and KBB, I bought my XT without any research. Imagine my surprise when I saw the double sided Subaru Magazine Ad with Lance Armstrong on one side, and a Java Pearl Black XT on the other side. I just had it Framed and it looks great! Sounds silly, NO, it was the best $27 I have ever wasted!!
  • Options
    tahoecharlietahoecharlie Member Posts: 15
    (OEM factory leather) for $24,500. How do you get OEM leather in a MT? see below.

About 6 weeks ago I asked if anyone could give me some driving feedback on the XT AT. Never got an answer - plenty of comments on the MT though and an awful lot of them negative. Made me leery of buying one without driving an MT and comparing them.

Since no dealers in the Reno area have any MT's I had to wait until I went down to the Bay Area to drive one. After coming back from Cancun, Mexico last weekend, I dropped by my old dealer - Stevens Creek Subaru (highly recommended) - to see if they had any MT demos. Went in and asked for the sales manager - I never deal with salesman. Much to my surprise he remembered me from 5 years ago when I bought my 98 S. I said I had driven an AT and wanted to try an MT before making up my mind. He tossed me a set of keys and said take the red one, since you are returning customer, I can give you a real deal on it. A quick trip around the block was all I needed - much better driving experience then the AT. Subaru needs a 5 or 6 speed AT.

I ask him how come it had leather, did he "steal" it from Canada? Not exactly, it turns out someone wanted a premium AT for the sunroof but dislikes leather so the dealer swapped out all the leather interior for the cloth interior of the MT. He gave me the leather for $500 - what a bargain. Car also has group 1E and the auto dimming mirror, which I think works great. So it appears to be a great price for a unique car. Wrote him a check on the spot and drove it off. Came back back and picked up my 98 S the next day.

Some driving impressions: I still can't understand all the fuss about the gears and mileage. After driving them back to back to compare, the gearing in my old 98 S and the XT are within about 200 rpm's of each other in all gears. Having put 118K miles on the 98, I have no problems with the XT gearing.

Checking out the mileage coming back to Lake Tahoe and driving around at altitude (6,500 ft) for a few days resulted in the following figures: San Jose to Auburn, 168 miles @ 7 gal = 24 mpg; and that's doing 80+ on hwy 80. Auburn to the Lake at 6,500 ft, then up the pass to 8,900 ft and down to Reno at 5,000 ft and back up and over to the Lake again was 180 miles @ 8.6 gal = 21 mpg. So thats 350 miles @ 15.6 gal = 22.4 mpg. Much better then all the horror stories I have seen on this board and I'm no light foot. Car had 250 miles on it when I picked it up. Now it has about 850, so it's all broken in. AND BOY DOES IT GO!!!

The performance up here at 6,500 ft on the two lane roads is just awesome!! Blows everything else off the road. Effortless passing, especially uphill, you just need a couple of hundred feet and you are by.

So I'm not sure what some of you are driving, but my XT MT goes like hell and gets good gas mileage by my standard.

Now for some after market upgrades - I figure it will be real easy to pull 260/270 hp without compromising the drivability one bit. Throw some Plus 1 summer wheels and tires on next summer and the handling should be outstanding - nothing will touch it.

Tahoe Charlie
  • Options
    Not only from the perspective of getting an XT with leather but also from having a good relationship with a former dealer. Those are so hard to come by these days.

I think a lot of the people who want MT with leather also want the rest of the Premium Package, especially the massive moonroof.

I agree with you also about the need for the 5EAT. It looks like we'll see it in the new Legacy and Outback next spring (with SportShift) but I don't know how long it will take to filter to the rest of the product line.

For me, the perfect XT would have a 5EAT with SportShift and the VTD system currently in the WRX, VDC Outbacks, Legacy GT and Baja Turbo (if indeed the latter exists). I'd seriously consider going aftermarket for an alcantara/Ecsaine interior (like the seat inserts in the WRX STi) as well.

Enjoy your ride!

Ed
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Leather for $500? Dude, you *stole* it! Don't you feel any guilt?! ;-)

Congrats TC.

And to you too, bonvivant. Bob named his white Forester "The Toaster", so now yours is "The Refrigerator".

However, I disagree about the ice cream flavors, they're not one bit vanilla. I'd say the Forester is more like Rocky Road, given the suspension can soak it up and there is lots of character.

The STi? Coffee Coffee, Buzz Buzz Buzz. It's definitely caffeinated! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    lbhaleylbhaley Member Posts: 91
    I have confirmed my suspicion that the occasional buzzy rattle in the dash of my XT comes from CDs in the CD player. This morning it was very annoying. I turned on the CD player and changed channels to a different CD. The rattle immediately went away. As that was really the only rattle in my car I was very pleased. I don't have any dealer installed options which may be the source of some of the rattles that have been reported in this forum. I now have just over 5000 miles on my car and am extremely happy with it.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Charlie,

That's one great story. Congratulations! I also head up to Tahoe on my 98S MT and I know how the altitude taxes the engine on those long inclines on I-80. Oh how it would be so nice to have that extra power!

I also agree with you regarding the gearing. Since I also drive a 98 5-speed, I didn't notice too much of a difference when I drove the XT 5-speed. I believe the majority of 5-speed XT owners are relatively happy with the way it is now. I think one owner is quite vocal about his dissatisfaction with the gearing that maybe paints the image that it's a widespread concern.

BTW, it was interesting how you highly recommend Stevens Creek Subaru. Most folks, including myself, avoid that dealership like the plague. Perhaps the key is going direct to the managers.

Ken
  • Options
    Maybe if I had an XT Turbo instead, I'd find more excuses to get out :-). Hopefully I'll be visiting the pump weekly once the ski hill opens.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    While mine is unquestionably a minority view, it is by no means mine alone. The same issues have been raised by at least a dozen other XT owners in various forums.
  • Options
    I only know of one person on this forum that's quite vocal about the gearing. ;-)

I never said there was only one person with that view, nor was I referring to other forums.

Perhaps you mentioned it a while ago, but did you take your XT MT for a test drive after it arrived at the dealer but prior to accepting delivery? I would imagine that you would have noticed the gearing immediately and could have turned down delivery and switched to an AT.

Ken
  • Options
    Short test drive, on city streets adjacent to the dealership, in rush-hour traffic. Mainly to verify that everything worked before driving away. Highest speed reached was probably 25MPH. The test drive didn't reveal anything at all about the gearing. Nor did the early phase of my ultra-conservative break-in. Thus, the issues didn't surface and sink in until several weeks later.
  • Options
    I see. But wouldn't you have noticed the 1->2 gap at the very least? As you know, it doesn't take much to get there!

Ken
  • Options
    The 1-2 span is least noticeable at very low RPM, and becomes increasingly so at higher RPMs and throttle. During that short 2- or 3-mile pre-delivery rush-hour test drive, I probably didn't exceed 1,500 RPM in any gear - partly due to clogged streets, partly out of respect for my brand-new engine. During my first two weeks of ownership, I rarely exceeded 2,000. Those aren't the circumstances that draw attention to the gearing.
  • Options
    tahoecharlietahoecharlie Member Posts: 15
    Lark6: I wouldn't own a sunroof. I know of two people, one acquaintance, one friend of friend, seriously injured because of sunroofs. One, while towing a ski boat had it start to fishtail going down a grade on hwy 80 ultimately causing their Grand Cherokee to flip. The other slid an SUV over an embankment and it rolled. Both sunroofs popped out allowing flailing arms to exit the vehicle causing them to be partially crushed. Neither person has fully recovered after several years.

Juice: Well, sort of guilty, but it only lasts until I set on the seats.

Kens: How about this to make you jealous. You know the Blue Canyon grade on hwy 80? About half way up it, crusing effortlessly at 80 in 5th, I punched it and was doing 95 in about 4-5 seconds - still in 5th.

Kens: Regarding Stevens Creek, when I got my 98, they special ordered it off the boat as it was before they had any in stock - no problems or hassles - paid MSRP as it was their 3rd order. With the XT, after driving it, I went back to the sales manager and said "how much" he look up the car on the computer, said the invoice was $23,700 with options and I could have it for $24,000 plus $500 for the leather, I said, fair enough, sold. Total time about 5 minutes. As I said, I never deal with salesman for purchases - takes to long and to many hassles - just use them for test drives. I only had 2 or 3 services done there before moving to Tahoe, so can't really vouch for their service dept. However, I believe they are the largest Subaru dealer in Northern California. They had 2 other XT MT's plus about 6-8 AT's on the lot and at least 6 STI's - good selection.

Tahoe Charlie
  • Options
    motopychomotopycho Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone thinks a moonroof will be available for 5 speeds in the near future? I am ready to buy, but this is something I would really like to have.
  • Options
    A number of folks have been asking Subaru of America to offer the moonroof as an option with the 5-speed. Canadian models have that combination so it's just a matter of SOA deciding it's something they want to do for their market.

Ken
  • Options
    akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    SWMBO finally says &#147;If you want the XT, go get it&#148;.
    So why no XT in the driveway?
    As much as I love the XT - and IMO, nothing compares - I think Subaru needs to address certain significant issues.
    I have driven 3 different XTs. I have test driven the XT AT more than I have ever tested any other car in my 46 years. I have dreams about it. But, reviews of how quiet and serene the cabin is at triple digit speeds driving on a groomed racetrack are IMO less than intellectually honest. Posts in this forum about the cabin being as quite as an Avalon are downright puzzling. This is just not - regardless of how much I would like it to be - a quiet, refined car. I keep going back to drive the XT over and over hoping the cabin noise is just an aberration of a specific car, tire pressure, temperature, planetary mis-alignment...anything.
    But no.
    IMO, in order for the $26K XT to be fully realized, Sube needs to:
    A) Control road/tire/cabin noise at cruising speed.
    B) Control ride harshness (expansion joints, rough/buckled roadway) at cruising speed.
    C) Control wind noise and rattling from the questionable frameless windows.
    D) Approach 30 mpg highway. I know, the XT is a &#145;Performance-Hybrid-Mutant&#146; but, if Honda can push 30 mpg with its 240 hp Accord, the XT can do it, too. I don&#146;t care about the absolute fastest 0-60 (if I did, why the heck would I buy a Forester?) I just want an XT for a bit more guts than the NA 2.5. Surprised the ELF haven&#146;t started torching Sube showrooms!
    ;-)

I know Subaru can address these isolation and noise issues - witness Legacy/Outback. As it stands, A-D will likely be the deal killers for me.

-srp
    2001 L.L Bean RidgeRunner (Mtn Bike)
  • Options
    subawoohoosubawoohoo Member Posts: 5
    One week ago today, I bought a Cayenne Red MT XT. The car, with alarm, diff cover,arm rest extension, bumper cover, rear dust deflector, mud flaps, and rubber mats set me back $24,300 - pretty good according to Edmunds.

After 600 miles behind the wheel, I am LOVING this car. Some impressions:

1. It's fast - 'nuff said.
    2. It's way roomier than it looks. I am 6-5, and I can be comfortable driving with enough legroom behind me for a reasonable-sized person to sit. There's not as much room as my Durango (what I moved from), but the XT is half the size of that beast.
    3. The gas mileage is totally acceptable for the performance. So far, I'm averaging just a hair over 20 mpg. When you've spent the last five years with a Dodge 318 sucking down gas to the tune of 12 mpg, 20 mpg is nirvana.
    4. The "stump-puller" 1st gear doesn't bother me at all. I can see how it might bother people who are used to driving only cars, but people used to trucks are probably familiar with similar setups.
    5. The final drive gear feels right to me. SOA could have probably made it rev slower, but my ears (and butt) tell me that this motor is very happy cruising at 3000-3500 rpm.
    6. I've always been a sucker for the grumble of a V-8, but I find myself really digging on this motor's note.
    7. I agree with some other posters that the clutch engages a little too high, and the steering is boosted too much - but neither is too bad to turn me off.
    8. I have yet to experience any rattles or creaks,knock on wood. Overall, the car feels very solid.

All that said, this car is not perfect (not that I would expect a 24k car to be perfect), but most of the problems I have with it are marketing decisions made by SOA: No leather with MT? Idiotic. Making the arm rest extension and rear bumper cover extras? Greedy. No two-tone paint on upper-level model? Don't understand - and the paint choices across the board pretty much suck.

All in all, driving this car makes me smile. The performance lurking behind the "plain-jane" appearance feels like my own little secret. If this past week is indicative of my future in this car, I will be a very happy camper.
  • Options
    motopychomotopycho Member Posts: 2
    Thanks kens for the feedback. I was afraid you were going to say that :) I guess I will also write SOA. Maybe with enough buzz about it they will go ahead and let the sunshine in on the manual drivers.
This discussion has been closed.