Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Been reading recent posts. I don't have an XT. I have a 2002 WRX with 28k miles and previiously owned a '98 Forester L which I took to 60k miles. Don't know if all of my experiences with the WRX transfer but here goes:
    1. Yep, it's really hot under the hood with that turbo. I toasted my fingers grabbing the hood prop the other day. In addition to weight I've heard that the Al hood is to dissipate heat. So far no problems on my WRX.
    2. Bugs. I get plenty in the summer on the grille but so far none to speak of on the intercooler. Maybe it's really a bug zapper in disguise.
    3. Mileage. City rating 20 but first few tanks were as low as 16 when I bought the car two years ago. By 3k miles city mileage was 19 mpg. Believe it or not it was not till 20k that I started getting best mileage. I get 20 all the time city and 26-27 highway with occasional tanks as high as 30 (3 over EPA number).
    TWRX
  • Options
    iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Member Posts: 56
    Bruce,
    Maybe I should introduce myself. My name's Jake and I'm a new member thinking hard about trading his 2000 Forester for a 2004 XT (or maybe XS). I'm trying to add pluses and minuses between the XT and XS. I'm a "turbo wimp" (read: ignorant!) who needs all the help he can get. I liked your bug zapper remark, re your WRX. Bug and snow zapper I hope. Snow is a question here, moot I hope.

Heat is not easy to dismiss, it seems to me. Heat accelerates wear and decreases (oops:-) mean time between failures (MTBF) of many automotive components. But is it a relevant fact for the XT? I don't know but if does create "accelerated depreciation" I'd like to find out before I buy.

Thanks,
    Jake
  • Options
    chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    According to the parts manager at my Subaru dealership the same filter is used in the 2002 VDC Outback Sedan we have. So the Forester XT should use - KNN 33-2232. Got it from http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/store/ws400CS.cgi?store=direct.- - - - - KNN at a good price and got free shipping too.

I'm either going to get this or look at the Green Filter (http://www.greenfilterusa.com/) haven't made up my mind yet which one.
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Heat is one reason I stayed away from dark colors and went with the silver. I'm not sure if it actually makes that much difference, but I thought it's going to be hot enough in the engine compartment without having the sun beat down on a black car.
  • Options
    Thanks folks, I am a little peeved to say the least, especially now that I noticed another chipped area around the dashtop storage lid edge.

akasrp - No, it's not affected by those items and I don't think it will melt off. I was using Armoral cleaner towelettes and it was not hurting the paint. Although I may re-think it as it says for plastic and vinyl...HMMMMM................ And I wouldn't put the Armoral protector on it, because as ballistic says, this dash is designed this way to cut back on glare and reflection.

ballistic - I know what you are saying is true. Part of my complaint is the paint is not all that hard and why have white plastic under black paint - come on Subaru give me a break it doesn't take a rocket scientist on same color or at least close, but white and black???????????

bobshiftright - "I also found that minor interior damage is fairly common and my dealer recommended a vinyl repair guy who operates out of a minivan servicing dealer's used car departments. He retouched the paint defects with an airbrush, it still looks perfect after more than a year and it was a lot cheaper than replacing the dashboard!" -MY question is who pays the buyer of the NEW vehicle or the manufacturer of the NEW vehicle.

None the less I'm still going to get the dashboard cover - I'm finding them for $28.95 plus shipping.

Still MAD - yep.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What's funny is the black trim on my wife's Legacy L is also painted. Funny because the plastic behind it is also black! The paint has some metallic in it, even.

The plood is a tougher, plastic veneer. It's more resistant, though, for sure, then either painted trim color (black or silver).

Real-world mpg seems to be very good, much better than EPA ratings. That's good. I bet people are just shifting early, or using taller gears more often due to the low-end torque. So you use 4th where you would have needed 3rd in the XS.

Subaru might have used the 4.4 to get the great numbers in the press, then could (as Bob predicts) dial it back next year.

My theory? I think Subaru is going to re-certify the Forester as a truck, as least after the next redesign. Then the whole CAFE issue is gone. They'd rather see it as an efficient truck, vs. an inefficient car (with CAFE fines).

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

-juice

PS Mine is a '98 Forester L, I still suffer from Xtreme Torque Envy.
  • Options
    ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    "Part of my complaint is the paint is not all that hard and why have white plastic under black paint - come on Subaru give me a break it doesn't take a rocket scientist on same color or at least close, but white and black?"

No argument there. It's stooopid to mold the dashtop of white plastic and then apply a thin, vulnerable antiglare black paint.

..."None the less I'm still going to get the dashboard cover - I'm finding them for $28.95 plus shipping."

I've seen some that looked OK, and some that seemed tacky. Let us know what you get and how you like it. As long as I plan to drive my XT, wear and tear and weathering of the dash is something I'd like to minimize.

jb
  • Options
    juice says, "Real-world mpg seems to be very good, much better than EPA ratings...I bet people are just shifting early, or using taller gears more often due to the low-end torque. So you use 4th where you would have needed 3rd in the XS."

I'm astonished at the difference between my MPG and what other XTs are delivering. I'm observing a 3,000 rpm limit, plus moderate throttle, and driving at least 2/3 freeway - and still I'm getting less than 20mpg.

Given the sky-high cost of premium ($1.749/gallon), I'm not happy about that.

jb
  • Options
    Are you trying to cure my XT envy? If so, thanks! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    jb: Your "sky-high" premium is still cheaper than our regular. Stop complaining. :-)

Ken
  • Options
    mcscully731mcscully731 Member Posts: 11
    Did my first test drive of an XT auto and an XS auto. The XS was very nice, but the XT caused me to plant a stupid smile on my face the entire time I was behind the wheel...wow! What a fun ride! Compared to my car (96 Tercel), this thing was a friggin Ferrari...we are now in the process of negotiating a price and I'll either do a dealer locate or order one. Argh...it's so hard getting into my little Tercel now that I know what power feels like (muahahahaha).

Good post about the bugs in the IC...I would never even think about that...Chassol's post about the dinks in the paint and the white underneath also worries me. Are you doing touch up paint on that, chassol? I'm the queen of dinks, so I'm anxious to hear how you're handling that...
  • Options
    Yep, everything else seems slow now. The test drive spoiled me. I need to hire a hypnotist to erase it from my memory.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm going to if touch up paint exists. If not I'll find a way even if I have to drive Subaru crazy...... I really doubt that as we have a really good dealer and his parts and service are pretty good about "pulling rabbits out of the hat". I'll let you know how I make out.........

I think the XT is going to be one of Subaru better surprises for both Subaru and owners. It is as you found out a very nice package........
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I hope they don't change a thing with this car. The gears are fine with me despite the gas mileage. In 6 or 7 years I want to be able to buy another one and I don't want to be disappointed with the performance because people complained about economy. Does anyone know how to turn off the daytime running lights?
  • Options
    I personally don't know how, but turning off DRLs are a common question over at NASIOC. I'd do a search there. The wiring for the Forester should be very close, if not the same, as the Impreza.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken says, "Your "sky-high" premium is still cheaper than our regular. Stop complaining. :-)"

Are you serious? A few days ago when I wrote that the cheapest premium in Portland was $1.749, someone (forgot who) someplace else replied that he was getting it for less $1.39 or thereabouts. I responded saying that if it was under $1.40 here, I'd shaddup about it. What is it costing you, Ken, and where? I've always understood that Oregon gas prices were at or very close to the highest in the nation. I'd be interested to know where it is even costlier.

jb
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    dang that's cheap :)
    Regular in NYC is like ~$1.80s.

-Dave
  • Options
    corkfish wrote, "I hope they don't change a thing with this car. The gears are fine with me despite the gas mileage. In 6 or 7 years I want to be able to buy another one and I don't want to be disappointed with the performance because people complained about economy."

I think the XT would be substantially better with (a) either a closer-ratio 5-speed - especially closing up the HUGE 77% gap between 1st and 2nd, (b) the 6-speed from the STi with ratios revised to suit the XT's different mission, and/or (c) fitting the dual-range gearset from Foresters sold everywhere except North Amererica - AND in any of these cases, fitting the 3.9 final drive. With these major improvements, the XT's fierce acceleration would be diminished hardly at all (probably not even noticably) in actual driving - whereas freeway cruising and general all-around driveability would be enormously improved. And, not incidentally, consumption of fossil fuel would be reduced. If this doesn't matter today, it will matter tomorrow.

jb
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Premium gas here in the Sacramento area is running from $2.10 to $2.20/gallon...and even more in some areas. I filled up on Sunday coming back from Lake Tahoe and paid $2.28/gal for premium at a 76 station along I-80. Ouch.
  • Options
    corkfish asks, "Does anyone know how to turn off the daytime running lights?"

Easiest thing in the world - it'll take you about 30 seconds - less time than it takes to read this.

When your XT is cold, look on the inside of the right front suspension strut tower (between the tower and the engine). You'll see a rectangular silver box (maybe 1.5" x 2.5" x 1") on a black bracket that's attached to the tower with two bolts (upper & lower). It'll have a label that says something like 'CAUTION - HOT'. This is the resistor that reduces the headlight voltage down to DTRL levels.

At the bottom of the silver box, you'll see a plastic receptacle with a mating plastic plug; the plug will have a cable leading away toward the front of the vehicle. On TOP of the plug, there's a small squarish plastic locking tab. Squeeze the tab down and detach the plug from the receptacle (pulling toward the front).

Your annoying, current-consuming, bulb-life-reducing DTRLs are now disabled.

jb
  • Options
    "Regular in NYC is like ~$1.80s."

"Premium gas here in the Sacramento area is running from $2.10 to $2.20/gallon...and even more in some areas. I filled up on Sunday coming back from Lake Tahoe and paid $2.28/gal"

Yeeouch! I'm speechless. Who in heck was it that said he was buying premium for about $1.35 per gallon?!? Somebody should buy a tanker and start trucking that gas to California.

jb
  • Options
    pleiad7pleiad7 Member Posts: 59
    Currently $2.11 for premium - that's 91 octane - in my neck of the woods (North Bay Area). To add insult to injury, our legislature just tripled the car registration tax, too, probably just in time for my XT purchase. The joys of living in Cali...

OK, I'll quit whining now, I could be living in Europe where gas prices of $4-5 per gallon are not at all uncommon.
  • Options
    stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    Just paid 2.20 per gal of premium to fill my WRX yesterday... not only that, but CA premium is far worse for our engines than then rest of the nation's. I can't complain though... San Fran is a beautiful place.
  • Options
    ballistic that was me (I'm in Florida) - in Georgia at WalMart Supercenter it's 1.399 (using WalMart gift card gets 3 cents off pump price of 1.429) for 93 octane. Here in Florida lowest is about 1.639, but 1.529 at Sam's Club in Jacksonville.

Glad I'm not in California or Canada either, it's expensive up there even with good US dollar to Canadian dollar exchange.

If the XT would run on 89 octane it's about 10 cents or so cheaper than high test in Georgia.

Wonder if half 89 octane and half 93 octane would work at fillup? Hm.................
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    we are at about $1.90 for premium--but I have never seen anything over 91 octane. It is 87 regular, 89 for mid grade, and 91 top of the line. Don't even get to see the Golden State Bridge, but hey, not complaining either.

John
  • Options
    chassol crows, "ballistic that was me (I'm in Florida) - in Georgia at WalMart Supercenter it's 1.399"

Lucky dog! You see what others are paying?

Somebody on the NASIOC forum suggested a little 4-LED knock display that warns when the ECU's spark-advance range cannot cope with the knock. I don't know how much it costs, or how accurate it is, but I'm going to investigate. If it can permit dropping down to 89 or perhaps even 87 octane with reasonable safety, the gizmo might be a bargain.

jb
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
  • Options
    No wonder so many people retire in Florida, gas is almost free, at least compared to what we pay.

Autoweek did sample the Baja turbo, and found the Forester was far more fun. They noticed the extra weight of the Baja.

-juice
  • Options
    forestergumpforestergump Member Posts: 119
    is usually between $1.90 and $2.00, allegedly due to local governments' mix requirements. Count yourself lucky. Despite the prices, I still plan on getting an XT later this year. As far as I'm concerned, performance comes at a price. IMHO.
  • Options
    FINALLY, Car & Driver has made the XT road test available on their website. For those who haven't already bought the print issue, here's the link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=6854&page_number=1

jb
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "a blazing 0-to-60 time of 5.3 seconds" ...

So you guys weren't really making this up all along? Who knew...

;-)

Steve, Host
    (yes! I'm joking!)
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'm glad everyone can see it now. I'll remove my album on ImageStation now that the full article is available.

Anyone want to try and measure their own 0-60 times? ;-)

-Brian
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Forester's 5.3 second dash to 60 has caused quite a stir. With that in mind, it dawned on me that sub-6 second 0-60 times are now rather commonplace. I just went through the latest C&D, and besides the XT's 5.3 run, noted the other following 0 – 60 times:

BMW Z4 = 5.3
    Honda S2000 = 5.4
    Nissan 350Z =5.5
    Porsche Cayenne turbo = 5.0
    Volvo S60R = 5.5
    Jaguar XJR = 5.3
    Maybach 57 (limo) = 4.9

Geez, it doesn't seem all that long ago when gearheads were singing praises of the BMW 2002 running a 10.5 second 0 – 60 time...

My how "times" have changed (pun intended!)

Bob
  • Options
    Bob,

You should see the stir it's causing at a lot of the WRX centric forums (ClubWRX, Cobb Tuning, i-club, NASIOC).

It's funny reading the posts of disbelief and denial. I don't think many people understand that the Forester is based off an Impreza platform and isn't that much heavier than the WRX.

Ken
  • Options
    A Forester X is lighter than some Imprezas, even.

Same wheelbase. Isn't track also wider?

Suspensions are interchangeable, and stock springs are a dime a dozen, if you wanted to do that. You have more room for wheel/tire, LOTS more room.

All you give up is a less aero shape, really.

Add the EVO, at 5.0s, Bob. Funny to think the XT is quicker than that S60R, 350Z, Boxster or the S2000, and beats the Z4 in the 1/4 mile.

Now, anyone want to bet the HP is understated? I say it's 250hp, 210 at the wheels maybe. No less than 200 at the wheels. Any takers?

-juice
  • Options
    Bob supplied:
    BMW Z4 = 5.3
    Honda S2000 = 5.4
    Nissan 350Z =5.5
    Porsche Cayenne turbo = 5.0
    Volvo S60R = 5.5
    Jaguar XJR = 5.3
    Maybach 57 (limo) = 4.9

Very heady company. What makes this intriguing is to add a column for the as-tested PRICE for each of these vehicles.

In fact, what would really be interesting would be to grab one of the road-test annuals and list ALL other vehicles that are capable of 0-60 in less than the XT's 5.3 and/or all those capable of running the quarter in under 13.8, together with their as-tested prices. How many would be cheaper than the XT? Probably only a couple.

How many of those have AWD? I believe the answer is, not even one.

That, I submit, is what puts the XT in a class all by itself. There isn't a faster AWD vehicle you can buy that doesn't sell for at least twice the XT's price. The only other vehicle that comes even close is the XT's slightly slower, slightly less expensive stablemate, the WRX.

jb
  • Options
    ken_from_njken_from_nj Member Posts: 105
    when driving home last nite i noted at about 5-6 different gas stations - the most popular pricing spread between regular(87), midgrade (89) and premium (93) was 1.35/1.45/1.55
    several different national brands
    shell/mobil/citgo/texaco/sunoco

AND for that i still don't have to pump my own gas (really only a major benefit during zero degree winter days) - ken
  • Options
    That would be an interesting comparison. It would be neat to see measured HP (since the XT is probably creating more than 210HP) normalized by vehicle weight and price.

Ken
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Could it be the torque that's creating the deceptive speed?
    210 horse with steriod fed muscle laden legs could certainly get the cart moving faster than 227 horse with whimpy legs.

-Dave
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    "There isn't a faster AWD vehicle you can buy that doesn't sell for at least twice the XT's price. The only other vehicle that comes even close is the XT's slightly slower, slightly less expensive stablemate, the WRX."

STi. Evo.
  • Options
    robmarch reminds me..."STi. Evo."

You're right, of course. Had my blinders on. Was thinking 'SUV' or 'wagon' (like XT or X-5 or Cayenne), not sedan. Mea culpa.

jb
  • Options
    brady222brady222 Member Posts: 10
    Based on the following 1/4 mile HP formula:

HP = (0.00426 X MPH)^3 X Vehicle weight

HP = (0.00426 X 97)^3 X 3,289
    HP = 232

Assuming the test driver was 160lbs, the vehicle weight increases to 3,449 which means the Forester is making somewhere in the neighborhood of 243hp.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    anyone know what the numbers are for the S4? Its gotta be close to the XT if not better
  • Options
    Interesting. Doesn't C&D also test with 1/4 tank of gas as well?

Ken
  • Options
    "anyone know what the numbers are for the S4? Its gotta be close to the XT if not better"

The S4 has been magazine-tested; I don't recall the numbers, but it almost surely is quicker than the XT. Probably not by a lot, though, until beyond 100mph - and it costs twice as much.

jb
  • Options
    All those cars mentioned in the same breath cost over $30 grand, some over $40 grand. A stripped EVO with no markup may be the sole exception.

I really don't think there is anything cheaper than the XT that matches the 5.3 figure to 60. Remember, all three of C&Ds WRXs were slightly slower.

The Neon SRT-4 is a little slower, too. That and the WRX & EVO are closest in bang-for-the buck.

-juice
  • Options
    bobshiftrightbobshiftright Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if Subaru's powertrain warranty and extended warranty cover the clutch? Or do they consider this a "normal wear" item, like brakes? I tried the Subaru website, I couldn't find it mentioned.
  • Options
    Probably not. I think if you have an early failure, especially in the first year, they'll cover it. Or if there is a pattern of failure or clutch chatter, things like that.

But a vehicle like the XT might be used at the drag strip, and in all fairness "you gotta pay to play".

Alas, don't let that get you down, Kimball007 from Nabisco swapped the clutch for an aftermarket one and knocked about half a second off his 1/4 mile time right there. He has a Forester with an aftermarket turbo, but the clutch alone made a big difference. They're $300-400 IIRC.

-juice
  • Options
    juice says "The Neon SRT-4 is a little slower, too."

Really? I'd swear I saw a magazine road test in which the SRT-4 hit about 103 in the quarter-mile. Probably the same magazine that says the SRT-4 produces considerably more than its rated HP on a dyno.

Not that I considered buying one anyway. It offers a lot of performance for the buck, and the sedan body is roomier and maybe even better looking than a lot of small sedans, but it can't match a wagon, and I'd be skeptical about the quality and longevity. And that much power going through the front wheels only? No thanks.

Come to think of it, I wonder how many cars in the entire world will be able to stay even with an XT in a stoplight Grand Prix on wet pavement? Very few, I'd guess.

jb
This discussion has been closed.