Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    With 3.90 gears and the big 300 to push around, I'm sure the 2.7L will get worked plenty.
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    "Exercise" to clean the combustion chambers is a prescribed procedure ??!! ... OK time for the true mechs to jump in here. If you had indeed done your homework, you would know about the electronics that make this car nearly unflappable in the snow. Granted, basic laws of physics apply. You have been ignoring the electronics part and thumping the front/rear bias drum. Your base model will NOT have any of the electronic help, you will be on your own. BUT, with that extra 2% of the weight over the rear wheels and no power to spin them, then I guess you just might be OK.
  • Options
    bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    Anybody know about any production running changes for the 300. I own a 300M (2000) and I am looking at the C. I remember when the 1999 M started production they were making changes on the fly (rear suspension bushings etc.) based on customer feedback. By the way I drove a loaded 300C last night and thought it was a great ride. The problem is the dealer is sticking to list price.
  • Options
    kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Eeek! What a horrible looking car.

Of course that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Just awful. My opinion, too.
  • Options
    tolenashtolenash Member Posts: 52
    what mag did these come from?
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    C&D
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, there is a discussion here about the Dodge Charger for 2006. And I'm sorry, but I had to remove the scanned pictures from C&D because of copyright issues.

Thanks.
  • Options
    yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    Hi David.- Congratulations! I think the 300C is a terrific buy, I just want to ask you some questions:
     First since I know many dealers in Mexico, I would like to know from which dealer are you buying the car? It matters, believe me.

Did you drive the car already? and with what options are you buying the car?

And PLEASE before you buy it, make sure the car you are buying was recently assembled.
  • Options
    bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    Just buy it pal! I own a 300M as well and these cars aren't even in the same hemishpere (no pun intended). Get the Hemi and enjoy the ride. don't sweat the small stuff, all cars have issues but the 300c is the real thing trust me. I have 10,000 miles on mine and have loved every inch!
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Anyone know what the "Chrysler Signature Series" is on the 300? It has a code of 2DP and has a job #1 date of 10/4/04. I have the same question about the "Platinum Package" with a code of AVP and a job #1 date of 9/13/04. These were both on the airfleet web site regarding production delays, etc. Anyone shedding any light on these would be appreciated.
  • Options
    soozpksoozpk Member Posts: 205
    Bob wrote: The problem is the dealer is sticking to list price.

Because the 300 line is selling so well, and backordered, the dealer can do that, depending on how bad you want the vehicle. Stick to the old 10% rule, (10% off on every 10 grand of car) and you'll eventually will get a fair deal. You can try a small volume dealer in the boonies also. Anyone paying sticker, and especially those paying crazy "premium" over-sticker prices are cheating themselves out of good hard-earned cash. Don't do it. Make the salesman a fair offer;
    give him your card, and go home. Guarenteed he won't throw that card away.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    There are things that will be added/changed. I'd wait unless you need to be the first on the block to have a 300C.

AWD
    Tire pressure monitor
    SRT-8 version
    Maybe some exterior/interior changes
    Should be cheaper once the car has been out a full year.
    You'll also have a better chance of advioding the bugs of 1st year run cars.
  • Options
    beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Does anybody know when the SRT-8 version will be available? I've read some reports that it will come out as a 2006 model. Also, it seems like the new 6.1L Hemi will not have the cylinder management function that the 5.7L has. And, no plans yet for putting it in the Magnum or for make it with AWD as in the upcoming 5.7L model this fall.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Fuzzy, some of those changes have already started to appear. The C's are now coming in with a tape deck, which was not on mine when I got it. The tire pressure monitor is standard on this car or maybe I should say here in Canada and will be issued when they are in stock.
  • Options
    exc230exc230 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Yosito,

I bought the car in a Monterrey dealership, but they had to trade it in from thye dealership in Monclova. I drove the car in The monterrey dealership befor I boughht it, on Monday the guy that sold me the car drove me to monclova (about 2.5 hr drive) because I wanted to bring the car here. I left it in the dealership for the requires inspections and yesterday I picked it up. I love it I enjoyed the drive back from monclova very much. I noticed the pull to thr right but it was definately the crown of the road, It didnt pull but it moved a bit, I changed to the left lane and it favored the left side. So this car fortunatly dosnt pull to any side. The options are the adjustable pedals, High intensity lamps, sun roof, wood trims, Audio sistem with 7 speakers and cd mp3 and security pakage. I am very happy with the car and think it was a good change. I picked it up yesterday from the dealership so I was lucky
  • Options
    yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    What is the most popular color the 300? What's yours?
  • Options
    michaelg1michaelg1 Member Posts: 18
    My new 300C is Deep Lava Red. Before actually seeing it, I thought it would be a kind of maroon or burgundy. I was wrong. They should call it Black Cherry. Looks like black in the shade and plum in the sun. I had ordered Magnesium but after waiting 2 months this came in on the truck and I grabbed it. Now I'm glad someone else will get the car I ordered. This is a very classy, regal color and really shows off the chrome.
  • Options
    exc230exc230 Member Posts: 3
    Mine is brilliant Black. You?
  • Options
    thebookersthebookers Member Posts: 1
    I am settling on a 300C after researching and test-driving a number of other vehicles. My local Chrysler dealers are struggling with differences in options typically found on the Luxury cars I've evaluated. I'm hoping someone here can weigh-in.

We live in frozen fly-over country (MN) and therefore aren't sure about RWD. Since I am told that the AWD is entering production and that they are just now taking orders for AWD, I'm a bit nervous to order site-unseen (drive-unseen). I'm told it's a Mercedes system. Any advice on whether AWD is preferable or is the computer-stability system available in the RWD sufficient? Does AWD reduce the "fun-factor"? Is it likely to make it months to delivery?

I am struggling with the HID option over the standard projector-beam system. Again, the European cars emphasize HID but I can't find any information that speaks conclusively to value as the projector-system is quite good already.

I can't get an answer as to whether the 300C (with Sound Group II and Nav) comes with cassette. No one here has a 300C with Nav in stock.

Lastly, does anyone know whether or not the tire air pressure sensing system is being delivered yet? The information system is ready for it but I'm getting different answers about availability.

Sorry so long-winded. I'm having pre-buyers remorse as I've never paid close to this much for a Sedan before and want it right. Thanks in Advance...
  • Options
    deegeedeegee Member Posts: 5
    AWD is good as long as you're on the gas. If one tire starts to slip others can still grip. However, the moment you put your foot on the brake, as you most often due when a problem presents itself, AWD isn't buying you anything at all. WIth modern stability systems, the advantage of AWD is waning. And I say this as the driver of an AWD car (an Audi).

As for the HID, I recommend it. I won't buy a car without it now. In fact, I've been dithering between the 300C and the Magnum RT for a while, and the lack of an HID system in the Dodge is a major negative factor. A properly set-up set of HID lights is the best available lighting.

I've heard that the newest builds contain a cassette too, but cannot confirm.
  • Options
    wildebeastwildebeast Member Posts: 23
    I really like the HID option. It lights up the world just when at my age my night vision is deteriorating. I had the tire pressure monitoring system on a Buick Park Ave Ultra. Wasn't much value to me. I have lots of tapes but no vehicle to play them in. I also had lots of 8 tracks years ago but I adjusted to the newer technology. Had cassette tape and CD in Buick. Another little thing I had to give up but it was worth it to get the C.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    It is not an option here in Canada, they come standard, also the newer C's are now coming out with a cassette deck in the SG11 package which is also standard here. I would really get the hids they are amazing.
  • Options
    Up in Grand Forks here, where in MN are you?? We live in town itself, so no need for AWD, however, it might be useful if residing out in the boonies. I put more emphasis on a good conventional spare, so i actually ordered a factory rim / with the Continental spare. It won't fit in the trunkwell, but I toss it in the trunk when I go long distances. I'm not sure how these self-sealing tires will hold up over time. I always made it a point to only have to change a flat once in below zero weather.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Stick to the old 10% rule, (10% off on every 10 grand of car) and you'll eventually will get a fair deal.

How exactly is this "10% rule" supposed to work exactly? 10% off on every 10 grand? That's not how percentages work. Do you mean $1000 off on every 10 grand? Or do you actually expect to get 50% off on every 50 grand? Or 100% off on 100 grand?
  • Options
    golfgti201golfgti201 Member Posts: 12
    LOL
  • Options
    If you buy a $30,000 car, one should expect at least 3 grand knocked off the sticker. Period.
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    There is an issue with your logic here - and I understand that this is what you feel a "good deal" is. Consider a $30-$35000 vehicle with rebates around $5000 - something commonly seen at model year end. A small participation from the dealer could lead you to think you are getting 20% off the MSRP. What about manufacturers that are trimming up the margins between invoice and MSRP (Chrysler, for instance). A base 300 has only about $900 worth of difference there. Even with the $1000 Chrysler rebate that is out right now ($1900 total - assuming you negotiated to invoice) you'd be unable to get 10% of the $24000 base MSRP. Years ago the margins were huge...those days are gone.
  • Options
    golfgti201golfgti201 Member Posts: 12
    More than that!!!
  • Options
    A base 300 priced at say 25,000 would be about 2,500 off the sticker. It makes no dfifference if the discount comes from the dealer, the factory to the buyer, or factory to the dealer as a pass-through. Bob, I implore you to dig through our early posts to see what we earlier 300 buyers paid. I do know that on the west coast there have been 300 sales going for a premium over sticker....and that's a tragedy for the consumer.
  • Options
    On the 300C I am waiting for, the MSRP is $36,020, and the invoice, including the advertising charges is $2143 less. The ad charges total about $500, so I figure if I pay that invoice price, I am paying $500 over "true" invoice. I also get the $1,000 from Chrysler, so it's a fair deal as far as I am concerned. When I see what many others have paid, it's a screaming good deal. Yes, some may have paid even less, but I am happy. Just wish I could use all my GM Card earnings on the Chrysler!
  • Options
    autoguyautoguy Member Posts: 23
    I brought my 300C in to my local dealer for the 2nd time for pulling of the right. The first time they told me they did the TSB on it. I felt that the car still pulled to the right. They supposely called the Star line as they didn't know what else to do and the tech told me that Chrysler took my VIN and that was it. The dealer keeps saying "it's a new car and they don't know too much about it".

Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    autoguyautoguy Member Posts: 23
    I bought a nokia Bluetooth and my bluetooth reception is no good. The other party can't hear me too well and vice versa. It has nothing to do with the cell signal because I can take the phone off of Bluetooth and the conversation is perfect plus the fact I have full signal.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    You're in the ballpark Hardhawk, as there were a few buyers here that only got a 1,000 back
    from Chrysler Financial, and a 1,000 discount from the dealer, and were content with that.
    Good work on a fair deal.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Get answers to this and other questions -

TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    300c300c Member Posts: 11
    File a claim directly with Chrysler.
  • Options
    581955581955 Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like the problem is in the u-connect in your car. I use a Motorala V-600 and have not had any problems. I live in Connecticut and travel I-95 almost daily. I do hit dead spots with or without the Bluetooth. I recently traveled to Virginia and phone worked fine even in the Shehendoah Valley. Never got any complaints about people not hearing me. Don't know if you tried it and I may be mistaken but isn't there a mic volume control on the mirror? Maybe that's the culprit? Give it a shot and if not, I would go back to the dealer.
  • Options
    supernursemansupernurseman Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the 300 touring last week. I was geatly disappointed. I am now in the process of buying a Cadillac CTS. Rock and Rolls like the Led Zep song. The 300 looks good but I can't drive looks.
  • Options
    You tested the wrong 300. The 300C will blow the doors off that Caddy you are about to buy.
  • Options
    michaelg1michaelg1 Member Posts: 18
    I agree. He tested the wrong 300. The Touring happens to share a body-shell resemblance to the 300C and that's about it. Different engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, headlights, tail lights, fog lights, wheel size, tires, seats, leather quality and many, many exterior and interior differences.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Cadillac dealers would prefer that people compare the V6 300/Magnum to their CTS, but look at the prices - that is baloney. Yes, the correct comparison is between the 300C / Magnum RT and the V6 Cadillac.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    There is an interesting blurb concerning the 300 by Brock Yates in the November Car and Driver. He says, in part: "...The Chrysler 300 is a major success by all accounts except one: fleet sales. This is a significant market for the industry, with high volume discounts being a source of healthy profits. But the 300 is encountering resistance in some markets, not because of any competitive component such as price, function, or reliability, but rather because of its elegant styling, believe it or not."

Guess those fleet buyers want plain and simple styling.
  • Options
    hemi2gohemi2go Member Posts: 2
    I was passed by a tractor trailer today (I83 south in PA) carrying what appeared to be Chrysler 300 "Wagons", including one on the very back with a 300C emblem. However I couldn't find any info on the official Chrysler web site about a Wagon model. Does anybody else know anything about them, or do I need to head to the eye doctor? I prefer the 300, but was leaning towards a Magnum RT because of all the boating equipment I haul every weekend. A 300C Wagon would be a winner.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    They may have been the European version of the Dodge Magnum, which are called the Chrysler 300 Touring over there and have the same grill as the 300.

Here is a link:http://www.chrysler.de/content/chrysler/de/home.html
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The Cadillac STS board is not pleased when I suggest [my opinion] that the 300C AWD maxed-out with options and accessories and probably MSRP'd at just north of $41K will be compared with the STS V8 AWD (at north of $62K)and -- while the STS will probably be judged the "better" vehicle in absolute terms, will HAVE to look a bit overpriced when compared to the 300C.

I am often wrong, and this is no exception to that sorry state of affairs. But I look at the STS, I read about it and ditto the 300C (the AWD not even out yet) and I note the question that leaps to my mind: where is the $20,000 extra in the STS?

Now, I probably could find -- perhaps -- $10,000 in the STS over the 300C -- but unless there is a stack of fresh crisp $100 bills in the glove compartment of the STS, I am very much a believer that the 300C is a big bargain.

To be clear, the 300C can be legitimately compared to the CTS (for the money). And, in this case, the 300C would HAVE to blow the CTS away.

I have put my name in to be "the first on my block to TEST DRIVE the 300C AWD."

My list remains a new Audi A4 3.2, A6 3.2, Acura RL and 300C AWD. The price range is probably $39,000 to $50,000. I have been an Audi bigot for a long time now. But. . .I think these vehicles merit as objective an evaluation as possible given my bias.

Shame on a Cadillac dealer for suggesting the V6 300 should be compared with the V6 CTS -- price points should dictate the C should be compared with the CTS.

To repeat, the 300C AWD must be a HUGE bargain at least for the next 15 minutes (of fame).
  • Options
    garnes1garnes1 Member Posts: 33
    Mark, I don't think you are wrong. I like Cadillac and I can tell you where some of that money is on the STS. It has a more sophisticated engine. It's an aluminum DOHC VVT engine - state of the art. And not all VVT's are equal (long story). Cadillac's is an incredible engine. I'm not sure it accounts for 20k or whatever the difference is though.

I've been in a 300C and I don't think the interior is second to Cadillac inside either. The 300 HemiC engine is a simpler and more economical engine to make but is a great performer. It's really not a "simple" engine though. The displacement on demand is certainly not ordinary.

I don't know a lot about the 300C, but I think the Caddy may have pretty incredible stability control technology too.

Overall, yeah - the 300C is one heck of a bargain.
  • Options
    The extra $20,000 for the Cadillac STS mainly pays for the Cadillac name tags and emblems. Yes, the Cadillac engine is far more complex than the 300C engine, but complexity is no virtue. The HEMI produces the power needed while being simplier and less costly to produce. To me, it is the greater engineering achievement.

Both cars have excellent multi-link independent suspensions, stability contol, and so forth. The only part of the 300C which looks bad compared to the Cadillac is Chrysler's poor choice of stock tires, something which $500 or $600 will fix.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The Caddy engine group is light-years ahead of DC on the fuel economy issue. The DC 3.5 litre powering the lower level 300's is the same engine in my 99 300M. It is a 6 cylinder and yet it was way behind my wife's former car a 96 Aurora [an 8]- 25 mpg best vs. 27 mpg routinely, and also her current 00 Eldo with the Northstar V-8, in which we have done almost 30 mpg average on a 3K mile trip, on regular. Even with the shutdown cylinder technology, the new 300C reported mpg pales next to the 30.4 mpg I am currently getting on the highway with a new [less than 3K miles] 04 Vette stroking 8 with 350 hp. Course the Vette is recommended for high test. The new STS is likely to have as good a mpg with the 8, and maybe even better with the 6. I believe it will also come with Magnetic Selective Ride Control which will smooth out even an already superior ride. It does wonders for the ride in my Vette. But I also agree that you pay a price for the Cadillac name, no doubt about that. I saw the first delivery of an STS a couple of weeks ago when I had the wife's Eldo in for a maintenance service. It was sitting near the service area and I kept looking at it and the car next to it since they looked so much alike in the front, just some minor difference in the parking light covers [clear vs. yellow] and some mesh in the lower part of the grill on one of them. After awhile I realized one was the STS. It looked a lot like the CTS and was smaller than I expected. Anyway, the asking price was about $48-49K, but I don't know if they discounted at all. For the money, the C would have been my 1st choice [over the Vette [$1K more than the virtual C I built on the DC site] and the new STS] if I could have gotten over the exterior styling of the C and I hadn't seen the 1st year build pulling problem outlined here. I'll live with my second choice--the Vette at $10K off the sticker, and look hard at the STS for the wife at Derby time. The CTS-V is to me like the Crossfire SRT-6, grossly overpriced at $49K. The dealer was selling a few of them though, and that surprised me since they are only stick models.
  • Options
    hemi2gohemi2go Member Posts: 2
    Yep, that's exactly what I saw. Same color too, as I think every last one of those on the truck were silver.

Too bad they don't give Americans the choice to buy one.
  • Options
    We were in Lithuania at the end of August and saw two 300s parked at the entrance to the DCX dealership in Vilnius.