Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• Options
    pompiliuspompilius Member Posts: 54
    this very much looks like a Photoshop job.

you can see where they touched up the rear door lines.

Plus a 2-door should have longer doors.
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Because of copyright issues here's the link for those who missed out...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7410&sid=18- - - 4&n=157

Enjoy...
  • Options
    Very much so... and a poor job at that!

But, you can always wonder about this:

http://www.autokampioen.nl/content/bla_image/chry3ccag.jpg

I think I'm waiting....
  • Options
    bjsohiobjsohio Member Posts: 69
    'shop job also... look at the reflections in the door.
  • Options
    Not saying it's not a photochop... Just alittle better job...
  • Options
    pompiliuspompilius Member Posts: 54
    they could have gone one step further and covered up one of the rocks in the reflection.
  • Options
    soozpksoozpk Member Posts: 205
    Thanks for the article link. It was an okay article but unfortunately it was written by someone uneducated in the vehicle they are writing about, and I quote:
    "it's telling to note that the Hemi was the powerplant of choice for 47 percent of 300C buyers last month"

That is a misconception I've seen in a few articles which then funnels down to the average guy on the street who asks "if I ordered my C with a hemi?" The writer really meant that 47% of 300 buyers opt for the C model. The hemi isn't available on the other models........yet. That may change in light of the 6.1 coming out.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Awesome article...and 14city/19hwy too.

Ouch. I wouldn't have expected that big of a hit. I mean, the Z06 C5 gets almost the exact same mileage as a regular C5 (way better than this car, but it's much lighter).
  • Options
    redgreeneredgreene Member Posts: 1
    I have a silver 300C loaded except for navigation with 850 carefully driven miles. Paid 35+ for the car. Any thoughts on what I should ask?
  • Options
    drwgdrwg Member Posts: 1
    redgreene,
    saw on another post they stimated about 20 percent under msrp. i think dealer would offer less then this perhaps you can get that number in private deal. where are you located I have a friend interested in a used 300 perhaps you could email him.
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    LOL You are sooo right. It could also say that 100% of 300C buyers opt for the HEMI......any month. :-)
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I would put it on ebay with a reserve of $1,000 less than you paid for it. The car seems to be selling very well so you should have no problem selling it.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Car and driver has a good read on their website comparing the 300C aganist the V8's from Ford & GM. Interesting they got really bad 0-60 & 1/4 mile times this time around on the C. They had preproduction models so I guess the real performance of the C is a ? Someone take one to a track!
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Maybe they tested a 300c without the HEMI...LOL!
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    C&D's earlier 5.3 second 0-60 time was much lower than any other testers have measured. Now C&D can't duplicate the result. I guess it will go down as a great unsolved mystery. The 300C is NOT a 5.3 second 0-60 car.
  • Options
    mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    ask for 20k and I'll accept!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “The 300C is NOT a 5.3 second 0-60 car.”

One thing I noticed looking at the SRT-8 specs. is that they show a final drive ratio of 3.06 vs. 3.4 quoted for the “regular” 300C. This is approx. a 10% difference. And that would clearly have some effect on acceleration.

I wonder if the first example Car and Driver tested had the 3.4 – and the second had the 3.06. . .

R&T published: 0 – 60: 5.6
    Quarter: 14.1 @ 101.1

- Ray
    Just speculating here, but a similar thing happened at the Lincoln LS introduction in 1999 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    "14city/19hwy too.

Ouch. I wouldn't have expected that big of a hit"

Surprised me, too. Particularly with a 10% 'better' final drive and the same trans. ratios as the 300C.

Is the cylinder de-activation feature carried over to the SRT-8?

- Ray
    Expecting 22 or 23 EPA hwy . . . but (much) worse when all that additional HP is unleashed . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    nmatsonnmatson Member Posts: 17
    No - Standard lifters on the SRT-8 - plus premium gas required!
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    actually the "shorter" rear axle gears in the srt-8 will make it consume a bit more petrol vs the regular C...

also, the fuel mileage ratings of the srt-8 really do show us all how beneficial MDS is on the 5.7l!!
  • Options
    jeepjeep Member Posts: 86
    Not only that, $1000. gas guzzler tax. IMHO, you can keep it. I'll take my "C" any day.
  • Options
    wildebeastwildebeast Member Posts: 23
    Now that some of you have had your C for a while, what kind of mileage are you getting and under what conditions?
  • Options
    I gave up trying to teach my old lady to drive by the tach. She pays no mind to the rpm when starting out from a standing stop, as she contantly revs over 2,000 rpm each time. She's the primary driver of the C, and averages 14.7mpg for in-town driving. When I'm lucky to drive it, I average 17.1in-town, but I do baby it. We went on vacation in late June, and the best attained on the highway was 25.0 I was very happy with that number indeed.
  • Options
    my old lady!! i'm sure that kinda talk really gets her in the mood...lol!
  • Options
    abeabe Member Posts: 19
    the second time out they got 5.9 seconds. no, its not 5.3 but its still a very fast car off the line.
  • Options
    svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking to sell your 300C so soon?
  • Options
    road and track got 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph...
  • Options
    frames77frames77 Member Posts: 2
    All over Hawaii there are rental Chysler 300s note:I didn't say C300 because there are all cheap models with different head lights than the V8 hemi models.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Most of the 300s I see here in Southern Califonia seem to be rentals. I think the 300 and the upcoming Ford 500 will be the darlings of the rental fleets, replacing the Ford Taurus.

I would rent either one of them if I needed a largish rental car, and probably will when I travel.
  • Options
    The first 300 I drove was on a dealer's lot but they got it from a car rental because they couldn't get one of their own. This was in the month of April. I could have bought a 300 at another dealer but wanted to hold out for the C. Drove the C later in the month of April but it didn't have all the options I wanted so I ordered. Originally told 6 weeks. Now 124 days and still waiting.
  • Options
    Looks like somebody is having a difficult time trying to find a car to compare the 300C with. Bonneville GPX and Crown Vic??????? The 300C is indeed a unique automobile.
  • Options
    nmatsonnmatson Member Posts: 17
    22.4Mpg across the board - I can push that towards 25Mpg on reasonably steady highway driving. I must be honest and say that I don't drive with economy in mind rather enjoying the power on hand :-)
  • Options
    the ford definitely will be a rental darling. the 300 not so much however...

early build 300s were shipped off to rental fleets for evaluation. the number of 300s sold to rental fleets since then has been dropping very fast. in july chrysler didn't sell any 300s to rental companies...
  • Options
    581955581955 Member Posts: 18
    I picked up my 300C on 5/20/04. Up to now, I must say I was quite disappointed with my gas mileage. 14.1 mpg around town and about 17.2 combo driving of short highway runs. I just got back from my 1st real road trip. (Stratford, CT to Luray. Va) Just a little over 400 miles each way and I am more than pleasantly surprised. I avereged 25.73 mpg on the highway and my around town driving actually increased to about 16.5 mpg. I guess there is something to breaking in a car after all. When I left on my trip, I had just over 2400 miles on the car and I now have a shade over 3500. My navigation system even worked in the Blue Ridge mountains.(not "all" turn by turn, but on screen directions. I did not baby the car by a long shot. I showed off more than once whenever I felt that someone would not let me pass on many of the 3 lanes of Route.81. I am more than happy with my "C" And am looking forward to many more years of fun driving. I loved my 98 Concorde, 19/29 mpg, But this one, even with the lower mpg makes up for it with comfort and power.
  • Options
    "actually the "shorter" rear axle gears in the srt-8 will make it consume a bit more petrol vs the regular C..."

Perhaps I was not clear (it happens) -

The information I had showed a shorter gear (higher numerically) of 3.40 is on the current 300C - the 3.06 is what the final drive for the SRT is shown as.

I'd expect that it does not 'need' any gearing help to accelerate well - an perhaps Chrysler believes that it does need a lower cruise rpm.

Particularly without cylinder de-activation available.

Anyway, 19 highway is pretty bad - particularly with only a 19 gallon fuel tank. Range will not be very impressive . . .

- Ray
    Believing that excellent performance and good fuel economy can be achieved in the same vehicle . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    ray,

here are a couple cut and pastes from daimlermedia:

TRANSMISSION: W5A580 FIVE-SPEED AUTOMATIC
    Availability Std. – 300C SRT-8
    Description Adaptive electronic control, Performance tuned AutoStick® driver-interactive
    manual control and electronically modulated torque converter clutch
    Gear Ratios
    1st 3.59
    2nd 2.19
    3rd 1.41
    4th 1.00
    5th 0.83
    Reverse 3.17
    Final Drive Ratio 3.06
    Overall Top Gear 2.54

TRANSMISSION: FIVE-SPEED AUTOMATIC
    Availability Std. – 300C, included with AWD
    Description Adaptive electronic control, AutoStick® driver-interactive manual control and electronically modulated torque converter clutch
    Gear Ratios
    1st 3.59
    2nd 2.19
    3rd 1.41
    4th 1.00
    5th 0.83
    Reverse 3.17
    Final Drive Ratio 2.82
    Overall Top Gear 2.34

from these spec sheets it appears the C has taller rear axle gearing vs the SRT-8. and, yes...the gas mileage is disappointing in the SRT-8.
  • Options
    Aha - I stand corrected - and even more disappointed.

I found the wrong on-line source first.

300C axle ratios

DC = as you pasted.

R&T =
    4th 1.00:1 2.82:1 est (4600) 126*
    5th 0.83:1 2.34:1 est (3850) 126*
    Final drive ratio . ...........2.82:1

and Motor Trend =
    Axle/final-drive ratio 3.40:1/2.82:1

My bad. (And MT's.)

- Ray
    Always reserving the right to be wrong . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    ray,

wonder where MT got their numbers? i thought maybe for an insant they were quoting rear axle ratios on the v6s...but here those are:

Final Drive Ratio
    2.7-liter – 3.90
    3.5-liter – 3.64

anyway, would really like to see chrysler add MDS to the new hemi...it could use it!!
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    MPG was not the main reason that any of us bought our cars. I think we all knew that a 5.7L V8 was not going to be a mileage star. I'm happy to be getting 26-ish on the highway, and my long time average of 19.something is great. Mostly city. I also bet that no one here will give their car up, EH? :-) It is a joy to drive, people love it, and will haul the mail when needed. How's that for an old expression?
  • Options
    only thing is a half second quicker to 60 mph (300c SRT-8) means about 6 mpg less on the highway...that's pretty significant i think.
  • Options
    300hemifl300hemifl Member Posts: 21
    I've had my 300c longer than most, having bought it on April 25th. Last week, I got my 3000 mile check-up, and all-in-all, the car has been great.

When I washed my car last nite, I believe I found rust on some of the chrome strips just below the driver and passenger windows. The spots can't be washed off or peeled away with a finger nail.

I don't know if its rust for sure, and hesitate to bring it up. The car is only 4 months old, is garage kept.

Anyone else have this come up?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    michaelg1michaelg1 Member Posts: 18
    Have had my 300C since Aug. 4. It now has just under 600 miles. On day two I noticed chrome spotting on the strip below the front passenger & rear driver side windows. Not rust exactly, but grey spots. Couldn't remove with water and rubbing. Used chrome cleaner and is a little better but can still be seen when the light is right.
  • Options
    michaelg1michaelg1 Member Posts: 18
    Today I realized that my gauges are kind of silver in color, not the white as on my 2001 300M. All the driving reviews I've read mention white gauges. Am I the only one?
  • Options
    stockey1stockey1 Member Posts: 22
    Stupid question!!

Why the heck did you buy a big v8 sedan if you are affraid to pass 2000 rpm to save gaz,why didn't you buy a small 4 cylinder instead ?
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Just back from the Woodward Dream Cruise near Detroit. At the DC area I got 3 pics of a Silver 300C SRT8. Front, rear, and side. They wouldn't open the hood so no pics of the 6.1 hemi. Also got a couple of the ME412, an incredible yellow Viper with great striping, the 05 Mustang, and the Pontiac Solstice [which had a very throaty exhaust note when the were moving it around]. Not much new stuff beyond those few. Would be happy to email some JPEG's of any of those mentioned above to anyone who would like them. I cannot post pics from work, or even from home for that matter--digitally challenged--but I can forward them on messages, so someone else can post em on the board if they want/are allowed to. Just give me an email address and your wishes and I will send em. Saw lots of 300's on the way up, none on the way back, and a couple of Magnums, and saw my first one with a Hemi badge. Locally they are selling Magnums in KY at $99 over invoice, but they give you $200 for gasoline. I suspect the lesser models aren't moving so well yet. I looked for Dieter at the DC area but did not see him this year.

Speaking of gas mileage. I took the 04 Vette to Detroit and put about 900 miles on her round trip and with some cruising & in and around miles. Still averaged 30.4 mpg running about 65-72 most of the 800 higway miles. It's just out of the break-in period with a little over 2K on it now. Beats the heck out my 300M or the wife's Eldo.
  • Options
    I got ticked off this summer when after filling up the tank, the very next day the old lady and our
    daughter went running around town chasing garage sales. When they got home, I noticed they had used a half a tank...in five hours. In my book, that full tank should have lasted a week. This is small town USA here, only 4 miles stretch from beginning to end, not like going from Queens to Staten Island.
    Yes, you're quite right in saying that if ecnomics was on my mind I should have bought a four-banger, however, I am very happy with the average mph we "generally" get, especially on the highway...25.0 mpg
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "When they got home, I noticed they had used a half a tank...in five hours."

He he, do you suppose that she found an old Super Stock Dodge to run against at one of those garage sales? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Dale
  • Options
    well, you did say the "old lady" has a lead foot....!!
  • Options
    “production of the Dodge Charger sedan at Brampton beginning in January”

Hmmmmm . . .

I would have expected to see much more (and more specific) detailed information about a US manufacturers new model coming out that soon.

Although I have seen a few speculation style / PhotoShop ‘pictures’, I have yet to see anything confirmed as representing what it will actually look like.

Interesting. Anyone confirm an SRT-8 version?

- Ray
    Interested . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I agree Ray. It sure seems odd that no one has printed or posted a picture of the new Charger or any real concrete information about it. I would certainly like to see it before I pull the trigger on a 300C or Magnum RT. I might like it better than either the C or the RT. Right now I am still torn between the two current offerings. Given a production start of January, there should be all kinds of info out on the Charger.