Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    folks,

most engines go through a break-in process at the factory where they are built...the post above seems very over-the-top to me...

once again...follow what the manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual...that is your best bet for longevity and reliability. engines really don't require much of a break-in these days. it's mostly things like brakes that need to be babied for a few hundred miles...
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Break in is NOT for the engine. The engines are already broken in. The break in is for all the other parts of the car. Brakes, belts, pullies tranny, engine accessories, etc.
  • Options
    gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I doubt it. I hope DC learned from Ford's mistakes with the LS and it looks like that has happened. There is no manual, (the LS manual was dropped because of the lack of interest - basically no dealer would order one) they have the Hemi out from the start (LS was to get a McLaren version years into production - that died) and DC has a huge marketing budget (Ford was fighting the whole Firestone thing during that and probably couldn't afford to advertise - just a guess on my part.)

The 300 is without a doubt a head-turner. My 20-year-old sister is foaming at the mouth to own one.

As a current owner of a 2000 LS, I will say that my 2000 LS has been on the streets proving that Lincoln brought back the domestic RWD sport sedan before GM (caddy) & DC and succeeded in a big way. I definitely wouldn't win any races with my V6, but the handling and ride are superb - not a complaint after 4 years and 63,000 miles of ownership.

The LS was simply not marketed by Ford - PERIOD! The dealerships sold them mostly to retired folks - as that is all I see driving them around here in NW PA.

As for the 300 - I have only seen rental 300's so far in my area that have been driven by businessmen flying into Pittsburgh and renting the car. I haven't seen many on the road yet, at all. Let's hope Chrysler does a better job of marketing than Lincoln. It is a fine looking automobile.
  • Options
    carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    Will be picking my 300C this pm. Looking forward to it. What's a good price for extended warranty-7yr/100K? I got a quote of $1795 for $100 ded. Seems too high even though they told me regular price is about $2200. Not sure what $0 ded. goes for. Has anyone ever used their extended warranty with previous cars you owned - was the price you paid for the warranty worth it? When you think about it,the extended warranty wouldn't kick in for at least 3 yrs/36K miles and 7/70K on transmission after the regular warranty.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Do you really expect to be driving a 300C anywhere near 100K miles?
    Even if so, it sounds really expensive considering you have the 70K mile powertrain warranty already and you would still be responsible for the first $100 of every repair outside the factory warranty even after paying for the extra extended warranty.
  • Options
    "The LS was simply not marketed by Ford - PERIOD! The dealerships sold them mostly to retired folks"

Just saw a report that the average Chrysler buyer is 50. So who knows?
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    That's a lot of loot for an extended warranty on a BRAND NEW CAR!!! I paid around $1000 for mine when I got my '02 300M Special (brand new). It's a DaimlerChrysler factory warranty. I can't remember if my deductible is $50 or $100.
  • Options
    mark_amark_a Member Posts: 22
    Was that for all of Chrysler, or the 300? It sure seems that the 300 has all ages interested in it. I'm 41 and just got my C delivered yesterday. My nephew turns 16 in September and is begging his mom to get him a base model. From what I have seen on the other sites, lots of younger people are slapping on 22" wheels and stuff like that.
  • Options
    jbbw20jbbw20 Member Posts: 38
    My rating after 2500km in a 300 rental

Looks: appealing at first but the shine only lasted for a short time--final impression regarding looks--big and bulky.

Ride -- excellent

Handling -- excellent except the beast required almost constant corrective steer on a flat highway.

Fit and finish -- acceptable, for a daily ride.

Cost to operate -- l/100k are excessive.

Problems : Broken inside door handle, my fault, I opened the door on a heavy incline, along with its weight and the wind the handle broke before I could release my grip. I also noticed , because of the design, door dings are very visible

Would I rent another -- probably not.

Would I buy one -- definitely not.

NOTE: THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION ONLY, although it is shared by my partner and others that I know who have rented this model
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I was in Hawaii last week, Kauai and the Big Island, and I was amazed at the number of 300 rental cars driving around. Seemed like they were everywhere. (I saw NO 300Cs, which tells me that all or nearly all the cars I saw were rental cars). Therefore, there should be a lot of folks out there that can give us their driving impressions of the 300.
  • Options
    xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I'm also seeing a lot of 300 rentals here in Los Angeles. I think Chrysler is going big after fleet sales with the 300. It makes an ideal rental for someone who wants a big comfortable rental car.

However, I have seen a few with big wheels installed on them and driven by younger drivers.
  • Options
    Chrysler as a brand. It was seperated into brands.
    Dodge
    Chrysler
    MB
  • Options
    Anyone hear of Warranty Direct? Saw them on internet. SecureCare Plus- their best level of coverage for 7yrs/100K $0 deductible is $1400 and for $1550 it includes emissions systems coverage which maybe isn't nec. because I was told the emissions system is covered for 8 yrs in CT vs Chrysler Maxiplans best price for $2400 instead of the reg. $2900.
    Any personal experience w/ Warranty Direct?-they say they've been around for 25yrs and highly rated. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    PS- usually keep my cars for 7 plus yrs if they are worth keeping.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Enter "warranty direct" in the Keyword Search on the left side of the page. You'll find some archived discussions available for reading. If you'd like one of them to be reopened, you'll see a link at the top of the pages in the discussion where you can make that request.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Dealers will (some of them) deal with you on cost for your warranty. I bought from DC so there would never be any question about who pays and when. I don't want to be someplace, need help, and have a DC dealer not knowing who the warranty company is. I have also heard of companies going out of business and the customer not knowing until a claim is attempted.
  • Options
    300hemifl300hemifl Member Posts: 21
    I'm 38 and bought mine 3 months ago, yesterday. I have 2600 miles on it. I have nothing negative to say. Not one problem. The drive is great....power and very nice ride.
    (oh.....my buddy who is 34 just bought one two weeks ago)
  • Options
    tornado25atornado25a Member Posts: 25
    Did you and friend each buy C's?
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Here's a 300C SRT-8 (6.1 Hemi) 'caught' testing on the highway...

Pic from Spyshot:

• Options
    Doesn't have chrome trim that's a + in my book. I HATE chrome trim. One of the reasons I will not buy a C.
  • Options
    Yes....both C's. Mine is black, his the Mag Pearl. He loves it as well.
  • Options
    To each his own. The chrome was a major plus in my eyes. Of the hundreds of compliments, quite a few were because of the chrome (Black C). Your the first I've seen not liking it.....maybe I'm blinded/deaf due to my love for THIS car.
  • Options
    poundguypoundguy Member Posts: 6
    got mine may 11.4900 miles now and I drive it like a go-kart, realley hard. It's stand'en up nicely.. just got back from a 1300 mile ride. these cars reallly drive nice. no rev-limeter on mine,(145) lucky no ticket's yet! What a highway car!!! I'v had lot's of Chrysler's been working for them 25 years. The 300C will be A HIT!!!
  • Options
    No chrome? Look again. All of the chrome is there except for the wheels, and remember this is a test car. I betcha they will gaudy it up for the showroom. :-) Funny, I never liked much chrome on a car until the "C". I did the pillars but that will be it, no wheel openings or body chrome!
  • Options
    poundguypoundguy Member Posts: 6
    my bad it has 9,400 miles on it and I got it on April 18...
  • Options
    billgolfer09billgolfer09 Member Posts: 18
    I drive a 2001 LHS. Best car I've ever had; best looks, best ride, best quality. I have had NO defects in first 50,000 miles. Had two Cadillac DeVilles before this.

I take a lot of long road trips. A large car trunk MUST hold: Two (2) standard size suitcases; two (2) maximum allowed airline size carry-on cases; two fully sized golf bags; miscellaneous small bags.

The 300 can not hold the above. To illustrate, I put all of the above in the trunk of my LHS and drove to my Chrysler dealer. I pulled up next to a 300 and told the salesman that I would buy it if I could get all the above into the 300 trunk. What a joke! Had to stuff to get the four bags in and could barely get one golf bag in. No sale for me.

How do I reach Chrysler to complain??
  • Options
    My wife loved the LHS a few years back, but because we had 2 little ones, we opted for an SUV for the room. I test drove the LHS and did like it, but the 300C is a much better vehicle. "Bulky and Boxy" is of course a matter of opinion, but from what I've seen since I bought my C three months ago, that is an opinion of the minority.
    The power and ride comfort of the C is head over heels over the LHS. In regards to the trunk, no doubt it isn't the biggest around, but this is not its main purpose. However, it is plenty big enough for most. I play to a 3 handi and have gotten 2 staff bags and a 8" bag in the trunk. Granted I had to take my 983K out and put in the back seat, just in case (LOL).
    Another cubic foot is no reason not to buy this car, imo. (Not only am I an avid golfer, my name is Bill as well)
  • Options
    jwaters943jwaters943 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the chrome trim. If you look closely you will see there is no chrome on the bumper in the SRT-8 pic posted above.
  • Options
    heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    I agree, I think the opinion is of the minority ... just look at the sale numbers & outstanding order. I think car has started a new niche in how automobiles will look. All the "aerodynamic" look that every other car had almost started making all the cars look the same! Here is a new look, and maybe an "old" look since it does look like a car from back in the 60/70's.

The trunk space may not be the largest around, but it does compete very well other cars out there. I think the biggest "trend" right now is the amount of passenger space in the back seats. As for all that "stuff" that gentleman was trying to fit in the 300 ... I say write to Chrysler and tell them to bring the 300C Wagon to the US market! =) That should take care of that problem!
  • Options
    OK, you're right on that. It does, however, have most-o-the chrome!
  • Options
    horn4horn4 Member Posts: 1
    Honestly, comparing the 300 to the LHS is like comparing Jessica Simpson to Phylis Diller. lol
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    "Honestly, comparing the 300 to the LHS is like comparing Jessica Simpson to Phylis Diller."

...or vice-versa... :)
  • Options
    because I have to drive so damn slow during this break-in period. LOL. Stayed under 55mph mostly per manual recommendations for 1st 60 miles. Still have to take it slow until 300 miles! Car really wants to fly, but I'm still breakin her in.
    Very nice ride, however I do feel more feedback in steering wheel then I recall on demo car and a bit more noise over bumps then I remember demo car having-maybe something needs tightening up (no one should complain about vagueness or lack of feedback on this car).
    It's still much quieter than wife's 2002 Intrepid which I loved driving, until.... - love my 300C much, much more-everything about it is better.
    Will check out the looseness/noise out during oil service soon. Drives great on highway,nice and quite;great stereo. Love navigation system and all the gizmos. Don't notice any drift. For the 1st 10 miles I thought maybe slight, extremely minor drift to right. But it's really just crown sensitivity because it can do the same thing on left side crowns. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Temp gauge works fine. Real pleasure to drive this car. Seems like solar glass keeps car less hot than other cars I've been in left out in the heat. Super roomy interior, good storage area, etc. Feel proud driving it.
  • Options
    about not recalling much on websites about oil change requirements and seeing in manual, depending on Sched. A or B, you are required to make oil+filter changes by either 3000 or 6000 miles to not void any warranties. Also must change spark plugs ea. 30K to not void warranty. Not the 100K spark plugs I was expecting. Must change air filter ea. 12 months too. Geez.
  • Options
    justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    wow...that's almost hard to belive: 30k on the plugs and 6k on an oil change. that's a perfect example of chyrsler lowballing the 300...cadillac has the oil life index and has had it for over 14 years...cadillac has used the double tipped platinum plugs for at least 5-6 years...and the air filter: are you sure about that one? it really is surprising that d/c would nickle and dime you on the service stuff when most of the manufacturers are trying to keep the maint costs down.

another thing to keep in mind in terms of quality and longevity: with the 3.5...when they changed it over to rwd they kept the rubber timing belt rather than going with the preferred chain...it's interesting to note that the 2.7 has chain driven cams!! d/c definitely cut corners to keep the cost down...the question is did they cut costs in the build process too. jackg 90seville 95k
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think all of you folks will want to read the latest "Carmudgeon" article that was recently posted -- check it out here: 300C — Chrysler's Escalade?

Feel free to discuss the article here. Here is a tip, though - if you want the editors to see your comments, besides posting them you also need to use the Feedback option found at the Help link at the very (VERY) top and the very bottom of the page of that article.

If you do send feedback to the editors, please keep us posted here. :-)

Now, what do you think about what Karl Brauer had to say?
  • Options
    As an owner of 2 prior and 2 current 300M's, I found that the change in powertrain warranty from 3 years/36,000 miles to 7 years/70,000 brought additional owner requirements with it. Suddenly, the oil had to be changed every 3,000 miles rather than every 7,500 miles. I don't know about spark plugs, etc., but the early 300M's had 100,000 mile spark plugs, which, I believe, are the same plugs that are in the current 300M's.

I don't think they changed the car -- I believe they just changed the owner's requirements. In other words, changing oil every 7,500 miles was fine while the warranty period was 36,000 miles. However, if they were on the hook for 70,000 miles, they wanted to reduce their warranty costs by demanding additional owner maintenance and having an out if the owner did not follow requirements.

It's interesting that the same car suddenly needed all this additional maintenance. I believe they are doing the same thing with the new 300's. It's not a reflection on the quality of the car -- it is simply an attempt by DC to mitigate their warranty costs...
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong w/ the article....and brings up points that surely has crossed some peoples' minds. Going into a new model (or major revamp), there are many questions on where it will be 3, 5, 10 years later.
    I have had my C for over 3 months, and it is still like day one. Everyday I get admirers making comments or giving the long stare. So presently, the car is a HOME RUN....no doubt. Will it stay that way, who knows? But with 340 hp, above average gas mileage, great cabin room, Mercedes ride, etc...imo, this car w/ be popular for a while. This car would have a $50k+ sticker if it said Mercedes instead of Chrysler. (Because of a mid 30k price on the Hemi, this could actually be a negative due to a possible flood of the mkt....I'm not sure)
  • Options
    abeabe Member Posts: 19
    my current car is a 97 continental. after driving that car for 7+ years, the 300c is a pleasant surprise. i love my lincoln, but i can see me loving this even more. i, too, cannot wait for 300 miles to go by so i can open this thing up and see what it can really do. i, too, haven't noticed any drift. the car is very quiet. a little road noise and on bumps. you hear the bumps more than you feel them. heavy bumps dont move the car, but you know they're there. stereo is lovely and it handles well. 55 miles to go before i start burning rubber.
  • Options
    robcamprobcamp Member Posts: 1
    300hemifl said:
    "This car would have a $50k+ sticker if it said Mercedes instead of Chrysler. "

Strangely enough, if you want to buy the 300C in Germany, the price is 49,500 Euro (actually well over $50K when you factor in the 1.20 to 1.0 dollar to euro ratio). That's for a fully decked model - only sunroof, Audio Upgrade, and few other options are not included. But the same thing in the States comes in around $36K.

$14,000 seems like a pretty high destination charge to me. But then again, maybe Mercedes just wants to make sure Chrysler is kept in its place by not eating into E-class sales.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    For those mentioning too much feedback and too much noise going over bumps, check your tire pressures. I test drove 3 different 300's and found one that was horrific going over bumps; lots of shimmy and noise. The other two were fine. Somone in this discussion suggested tire pressure being too high since most cars are shipped from factory with elevated tire pressure to minimize flatspotting, and to maximize ground clearance (getting on and off the trailer truck) etc.. And sometimes the prep people don't reduce the pressure to what the mfg. recommends.

I just had some tires remounted and balanced and within the first mile I knew there was something wrong. My normally smooth and quiet E320 was riding harshly and noisily. When the tires cooled down I checked the pressure and found that the tire tech had put 40 psi in them vs. the MB recommendation of 27 psi. When I asked about it he said that "you're supposed to run tires at the pressure listed on the sidewall." What a dumb-bell..! That sidewall pressure is the maximum allowable pressure and for a given vehicle has no relation to what the mfg. intended for the vehicle. Besides, if you start out with the maximum pressure, a few miles on a warm day at highway speed puts you 3-4 psi OVER the maximum pressure. A dangerous situation for sure..

If you want to increase your mpg. slightly and extend the life of your tires slightly, and improve the handling of your car slightly, you can run the tires, on a daily basis, 1 or 2 psi over the normal mfg. recommendation. But NEVER at the maximum pressure rating.
  • Options
    sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The number on the tire is "COLD" inflation pressure. But, it is the maximum and the recommended may be less. However, the Explorers were using something like 27 and were shredding their tires. I think anything much under 30 is a bit low, but I don't know.
  • Options
    abeabe Member Posts: 19
    no car stays hot forever. chrysler has a chance to remain the hot car longer if they keep the cars they make affordable, powerful, fast, and reliable. if they keep the 300 status quo, it will, of course be passed by. chevy, caddy, everyone is keeping their eye and already have plans on making powerful rear wheeled cars. the next few years should be fun for drivers with the cars that are coming out
  • Options
    "actually well over $50K when you factor in the 1.20 to 1.0 dollar to euro ratio"

Good pt. $ vs Euro on Wall Street is at a critical point, with some seeing $1.30....we'll see.
    I used to like the E Series....I'm not interested in the E320 anymore....but the E500 definitely catches my eye
  • Options
    tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    "no car stays hot forever. chrysler has a chance to remain the hot car longer if they keep the cars they make affordable, powerful, fast, and reliable."

Which is why I think Chrysler knows exactly what it's doing. I've seen posts here (not in the very recent past) questioning why they didn't include this or that in the car or whatever. I also saw this about the 300M--the 2000 model, 3rd year it was out is widely regarded as the best of any of the years--they kept adding stuff until then and after, the decontenting began.

My point is: Could the SRT-8 be out now? Probably. Could all sorts of neat, Mercedes-type features be put in this car? Probably. But, if you do all that, what do you do for the next 2-3 years? This way, people who think the 300C is all the car they'd ever want can get it now, fully loaded with vritually every "normal" lux-car option, go 0-60 faster than probably 85-90% of all production cars on the market for less than they'd ever have to pay to get an equivalent model previously. For the rest that just want an attractive, comfortable full-size sedan, they've got that, too. And, in good news for Chrysler guys that love to see more product development, they're selling like gangbusters with few incentives and at a higher profit than the PT Cruiser, for example.

The way it is now, people that really, REALLY want the monster car can wait in anticipation--it allows Chrysler to catch up and meet the demand for the 300C and once they can keep up or demand cools, they will have another "hot" vehicle to sell.
  • Options
    Really good point about DC's need to improve the 300 each year.

As tornado25 pointed out, the 300M was a great car when it came out in the 1999 model year (Motor Trend's car of the year) and was still a good car for the 2004 model year. However, they improved the car (marginally) through 2001 and I believe that year to be the best of the 300M's. They began decontenting in the later stages and in the meantime the competition improved their models. It appears, in restrospect, that they had already made their decision to dump the cab-forward concept by 2001 and allocated no resources to improve the LH cars after that time.

They are on a roll right now with the new 300 and spinoff models with new innovations could make the 300 dominant in its class for several years.
  • Options
    intrepidationintrepidation Member Posts: 45
    I have a '95 Intrepid 3.5L, and I've gone to 10K mile oil/filter changes on Mobil 1. Sounds harsh, doesn't it? Well, I do the same on a '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara and my wife's still pretty new '02 RX300, though she doesn't drive anywhere near 10K miles per year, so it'll likely fall into whatever the guidelines are.

3K oil changes are overkill, though for warranty, okay. Like spark plugs, you'll know when they're getting 'tired'. For example, the 3.5L motor detests Bosch platinums, but loves common NGK V-grooves. Works for me, I save money, and have to change them less often.
  • Options
    justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    10,000 on an oil change? yeah, that's pushing it a bit but it's not outrageous...the outer limit on my 90 caddy with the oil life index algorythim (sp?) is 7500 i believe and that's indexed to the oil technology from the early ninties...that's why i'm so surprised that the 300 doesn't have it...it saves you a bundle in oil changes...jackg 90seville 95k
  • Options
    kg77kg77 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, I recently ordered the C w/out the nav system. I may be having second thoughts, especially since I may purchase the car rather than lease it. My question is, is the nav system worth it? is it accurate and user friendly? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    nmatsonnmatson Member Posts: 17
    If you can afford it take it. I wasn't a believer until I owned one and I wouldn't take a vehicle with out one now. Moderately easy to use it gets better with experience. Mine has been very accurate.
  • Options
    I've only had the car for 1 week and love it. The navigation is well worth it and gets easy to use once you play around with it. It's accurate too. Plus the directions are not just on the screen but also on the display in the dash. Very cool when you see your next turn is coming in 400 feet, then 300 feet, etc. Many adjustments for your own personal settings such as voice prompts, voice and tone, tone, etc. If you rather have the nav. get you directions vs a map or stopping to ask for directions, get the nav. It's interesting to watch it also when you don't have it set for a destination - it will still show you where you are -streets, interstates,and you can set it to she points of interests such as banks, gas stations, restaurants and more. That would come in handy when your in an area you've never been in.