Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• Options
    heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    Hey "carguy1234" ... did just as you did and wrote to Chrysler last night about selling the wagon version here in the states. I think the variety will do the brand good just as it does for BMW, Saab, Subaru ... and even Mercedes!
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    They probably already had plans for the wagon at some point in the future. They usually do not start out with everything in the first year so they can have something new to keep things fresh a few years down the road.
  • Options
    kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Well that is too bad, because they will not be bringing one out by the Spring which is when I will be needing to replace my car.

I would have so loved to try an 300C AWD wagon in the winter, but I guess I will end up with an Audi A6.

I think Chrysler is missing out on a hugh opportunity here to steel sales away from the German wagon market and also upscale sport-utes, eg the Lexus and Acura models...

Shame on you Chrysler, expecially as the car will already exist for other markets!
  • Options
    soozpksoozpk Member Posts: 205
    On the 300C wagon that's for distribution in Europe....I would think that a dealership "should" be able to order one for you, as long as it's being built in Brampton. Yoo can also find a British Chrysler dealer that may have an affiliate in the states. Buy the car through them, and arrange it to be picked up locally. There are ways around it, I'm sure it's been done by auto brokers before. It's just people like us that aren't astute at doing things like that, but like I said, it's probably done on a routine basis by people "in the know".
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The trunk space volume on the C is virtually the same as on the M. I used my 99 M most of the time when going to the golf course. I could get the wife's light carry style bag and my large leather pro-style bag with bagboy cart attached, into the trunk going from left top corner to right lower corner. The wife's Sun Mountain cart I would fold and lay atop the closest bag. I have extra long woods, and would have to pull the driver and usually the 3 wood out of my bag, and lay them atop the back bag. This prevented me from bending the shafts trying to get them by the fender bulge in the M. Took a little work, but I would guess you could figure out a similar layout with the C. Now without cart you could probably put 4-6 bags in the M, if they were typical carry size. Never did put the back seat down except to move plywood sheets. Just be careful closing the lid before you slam it down.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Doubtful.
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Thanks for the info... since I don't have the car yet, I can't read the manual.

Maybe when I test drive again, I'll look into this.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Knowing my luck with that situation I would end up with a 300C wagon with the steering on the "wrong side" of the car. But at least I could use it to deliver mail as a side job! Besides, the vehicle standards are different for Europe, and the cost of delivery/baby-sitting the whole thing would just be too much of a headache.

As for "holding something back" for a later year ... that is a poor philosophy to live by. Put out what you got NOW and strike hard, and then just work harder & smarter to up the bar etc later on. Otherwise your engineers brains go "weak" without the challenge, and you will lose out to potential sales now! Not to mention future repeat buyers. As it stands now, Chrysler will lose a potential sale from me now to Audi, Nissan or whoever ... and will not have that business for the next @ five years!
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    See my post #2660. This has been a condition of Chryslers (at least the 300M and Intrepid) for years...
  • Options
    carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    What's the deal on the incentives now? Seems like the $1K for financing is gone - not on Chrylser's website. What's the deal with the current incentive? My car might be at the dealer before the month is over.
  • Options
    karlakarla Member Posts: 11
    Yes, I have too occasionally. I'm also having trouble with the power seat moving back when exiting. So far the dealer may have fixed the temperature problem but hasn't been able to fix the seat problem. He fixes it and as soon as any change to seat position happens it quits working again. Love the car though.
  • Options
    bjsohiobjsohio Member Posts: 69
    DC is advertising $1000 through Chrysler Finacial for the "Summer Sale Days" (or something like that) for the 300 on TV right now.
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I have had four 300M's, so I am familiar with some of these problems (O/S temperature, seat movement for exiting, etc.). Please let me know if the O/S temperature problem remains fixed on your 300 -- I haven't been able to get a permanent fix on our current 300M's.

The seat movement for exit can be turned off inadvertently. You should have the option of off or on. Read the manual carefully on this issue -- I almost took my 2003 300M in to the dealer because I thought the exit feature was no longer working. I had somehow turned it off while adjusting one of the memory settings. The dealer probably won't know any more about it than you do. The manual isn't very clear and it takes some experimentation to reset it.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    crispiegeecrispiegee Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for that info on the power seat. I'm picking up my 300C this week and I had wondered if I could turn that feature off.

Since I'm a pretty slender guy, I don't need (or want) the power seat sliding back and forth every time I get in and out of the car. It seems like a lot of needless wear & tear on the motor.
  • Options
    tolenashtolenash Member Posts: 52
    is that real or photoshop...

NICE!!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,972
    its a photoshop. also printed in autoweek (i believe, either that or C&D since those are the only 2 I get in the mail) a week or so ago, along with the coupe version.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Give me the wagon version, I already have a convertible!
  • Options
    If you really want one like that there is a company in Illinois, can't recall their name off the top, but they do Caddy's and Vettes. Caddy dealer could probably tell you their name. I saw a Vette at one of their displays at the Vette museum a few months ago and it made a hardtop convertible change over for I think the guy said $10K. I think the Caddy's have run somewhat higher. Figure $15K for the C. What's a few more bucks??
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Re - the wagon version. I finally heard back from Chrysler corporate on that. Not good news, but they do provide a good resource for voicing interest in a wagon version:

paraphrased from an email I received:

"Thank you for your enthusiasm for both the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum. We highly value the input of our customers.

Currently there are no plans to release a Chrysler 300 Wagon in the
    near future. Please keep in contact with your local Chrysler dealer and with the Chrysler Brand website for future updates.

Your email was received by the Customer Assistance Center. You may mail your suggestions to the Outside Suggestions Department for their attention at:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
    Outside Suggestion Office
    CIMS:483-01-07
    800 Chrysler Drive East
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2757

Or you can email information to them at crc9@daimlerchrysler.com. You must include your full name and complete mailing address. You will be contacted by the Outside Suggestions Office for a discussion of the program.

We believe this action will provide the best opportunity for review."
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Whether it's photoshop or not (I don't know) but rumors have it that yes, C&D and Autoweek said Chrysler is looking to introduce it for 2006.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm loving that convertible right now.

Oh... I can wait instead of dishing out 10 grand to customize one... You're killing me... lol!

By the way... here's the coupe:
    http://www.autokampioen.nl/content/bla_image/chry3ccog.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write that all out ... I fired off my email this afternoon.

The pictures of the coupe & convert looks awesome! Just goes to show this car looks great in all sorts of "skins"! Anyone out there know who the designer was that etch-a-sketched this design?
  • Options
    581955581955 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, I too have had erratic readings. There is no set pattern as to when the reading is correct or not. Sometimes it shows 77 degrees the whole time I'm in the car and other times it's all over the place. I plan to address the issue when I take the car in for 3K service. I've had several Concordes and they were all very accurate. This issue and the crazy action of the auto-stick are my only disappointment with my 300C. I love the navigation system, my U-Connect and auto seat memory. All in all I love my "C". Best of luck to all present and future owners. The car is a real head turner!
  • Options
    intrepidationintrepidation Member Posts: 45
    I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it, 'cause while I'd love a convertible, I don't want a small one. I *like* larger cars...they're comfy.

The coupe was shown as a 'concept' at the NY auto show, pretty sure it was NYC, so that might be next up.
  • Options
    luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    Here I was dead set on getting a 300C back in June and when my local dealer called to let me know he had one for me to drive I went there immediately after work. As it turned out, he had a Magnesium 300C that seemed "undressed". The dashboard and headliner were dirty, the carpeting was cheaper looking than I expected and when I floored the car to feel the Hemi power, there was a hesitation before the surge and the acceleration was not that spectacular.
    Then I heard about the DC plant shutting down until 7-19 with no explanation. I figured there may be a problem so I went to Cadillac and bought a fully loaded CTS with the 3.6, XM radio, navigation system, etc and actually paid less than the Chrysler dealer wanted for the 300C. Had I gone to a better prepared DC dealer I probably would be driving the 300C. I'm very proud of my CTS but still admire the 300C every time I see one. Anyone else out there compare the 2 and decide on one over the other?
  • Options
    bigkev7000bigkev7000 Member Posts: 23
    All I can say to that is WOW. I might have to wait myself.

http://www.autokampioen.nl/content/bla_image/chry3ccag.jpg
  • Options
    bangaroobangaroo Member Posts: 1
    The CTS was one of the cars I tested and I ended up ordering the C, which I am hoping for delivery late August.
    I also noticed the hesitation in the C, which I didn't like. Reminded me of Turbo lag. I was sort of hoping my car wasn't going to have the lag, but seeing you mention it, makes me believe this might be normal for the C. I have been reading this and other forums and you are the first person to mention this momentary hesitation/lag.
    Anyone else notice the C's "Turbo type Lag" when punching it?

I also test drove the CTS V6 and didn't find it fast enough. Just like the Acura TL, Infiniti G35, and Nissan Maxima, they all seemed to wind-out with too high of revs at about 60-70 mph. The C felt like a rocket ship which kept getting faster and faster with no loss of acceleration. The V6's just started fading too soon for my liking.
  • Options
    bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    I too have noticed a slight hesitation, but only fractionally. It was not a deterant when I made my purchase, but it doesn't get right on it like my '04 Maxima did. However, that being said, once it engages, there is a brillant rush of power all the way to the red line. I also noticed that the shift from first to second was where the lag was most noticeable. I also have the slight pull to the right, the temperature cage problem, the seat memory issue, and painfully mediocre gas mileage.

All the critism being said, I would not trade it for any other car, especially the Cadillac CTS, that I found to not have near as much punch regardless of the power lag syndrome. It's still a nice car though. While many of these problems may be viewed as common denominators with 300C owners, I would not base my decision on buying one as a result of these minor flaws. It's still a fanominal car and I'm certain anyone would love to own one.
  • Options
    tibbunetibbune Member Posts: 76
    I used to get the lag, a slight hesitation gap between foot hitting floor and head being tossed into the backseat. That lag disappeared before I'd hit 1500 miles. I've done some air intake and exhaust mods, but I think the lag was just an effect of the 'learning computer' this car has, and once it knew itself,and the engine was broken in, it poured it on. I'm gone as soon as the pedal drops now.

I looked at the CTS-V before buying a 300. The stock CTS was, well, boring quite frankly. The V however was awesome, a wet dream on wheels, yet it was still somewhat unrefined for its price range. My local Caddy dealer was trying to retire off the one CTS-V he had in stock, and his unwillingness to come down off his $11000 mark up had me a bit perturbed. That V sat on the spinning 'look at me!' stand for three months, then someone finally paid the ransom.

I don't know why it is, but CTS owners want to race my 300C more than any other car owner on the road. It's not as if red light challenges are a daily occurence, but I've had four CTS owners make the mistake of thinking they can keep up. Too much Zeppelin? I'm not one to encourage street drags, but when a guy in his shiny wedge sits in the lane next to me revving his squirrelpowered doorstop, I feel a certain obligation to remind him that he's out of his class.

Note to CTS owners: It's been tried, it has failed. Your car is not fast, please stop humiliating yourselves. Gas is expensive.
  • Options
    lowriderlowrider Member Posts: 9
    Regarding street races...I too have noticed a similar situation. For some reason owners of Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's keep trying to race me. Last week, an owner of one such car egged me on until I finally caved and blew his freakin doors off. Its was only a contest for the first 2 or 3 seconds until I started pulling away SOLIDLY! After he was back 200 or 250 ft, I let off and started braking (small pumps). After the 3rd pump, I decided to check out the speedo...still moving at 100 MPH...gas mileage only dropped 0.5 MPG...haha

Anyway, I can only believe he thought he was racing another V-6 and didnt see the HEMI emblem...idiot!

Have almost 3400 miles on my C...I have slight pull to right, but nothing bad to make me think its nothing else but road crown cause it will pull to left in opposite lane. Noticed that my temp gauge does act funny sometimes. Sometimes it updates as soon as you turn car on and others you must drive for at least 2 or 3 miles before it updates. Makes me think there is a timer on the update and depending on when you shut the car off in the cycle determines the total lag. I have not noticed it always wrong, only that it doesnt update fast...not sure if I will mess with it.

I also put the X-pel chip guard (entire kit + roof strip) on my car. This thing definately catches bugs and rocks. So far so good, the chip guard allows bugs to wash free semi-easily (a little scrubbing may be required) but all in all, very happy with chip guard.

Have the splash guards painted but not installed yet...for some reason they painted the inside or tire facing side as well and I know this will get chipped and paint will peel so I am trying to figure out a way to prevent this. Thinking about taping off the front side and applying auto undercoating (thin coats) to soften rock impact to prevent chipping.

Love this car...best vehicle I have ever owned (I have to whisper this b/c my Harley may get jealous!)
  • Options
    Isn't is great to have the "lowly" Chrysler blow the doors off the "high falutin" Caddy? That is what is go great about the 300C/Magnum RT, they both deliver looks with attitude AND the power to back it up. Now if DCX could just build them faster!!!!
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The lag y'all are experiencing is possibly the transmission lag -- there is a computer that controls the transmission and as I recall this is a DBW set up.

This combination has motivated many of us with "german" 5 speed automatic transmissions to call this phenomenon "tip lag" -- it does indeed feel like turbo lag.

Presumably the transmission can be "taught" by your habits to be more responsive. Perhaps someone on this erudite board can validate these notions. . . .

Makes me wonder if this car would sell even better if a manual version would be offered as a "performance or sport" option.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Makes me wonder if this car would sell even better if a manual version would be offered as a "performance or sport" option.

Count me in! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    pompiliuspompilius Member Posts: 54
    until recently, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has been hard to beat in the sporty family sedan segment. That's why GTP drivers are so willing to race.
  • Options
    alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Hello Everyone: I currently have a Chrysler 300M and am thinking about purchasing a 300 series car. I don't really need the Hemi engine, but do not plan on getting the Base. I am interested in purchasing the Tourin 3.5. What are the differences in outside looks between the 300C and 300 Touring. Is there a web-site that will show this? How about features. Will a fully loaded 300 T equal to that of a 300C without the engine? Thanks.
  • Options
    My dealer just called. They dealer traded for a new Midnght Blue 300C with everything I want less the HID lights & Protection Group. I had really been thinking I needed the lights and side air bags. Yet, this one will be here this afternoon, so I am not so sure. The blue is my favorite color. And, they will sell it at invoice plus I get the $1000 if I finance or lease via Chryler Credit. The devil is at work here!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!
  • Options
    alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    What is the difference between the 300 Touring and Limited? Looks? I can't really figure it out.
  • Options
    jcz1jcz1 Member Posts: 36
    If you can find a way, wait. The options missing are safety-related, and therefore worth waiting for.

On another forum (sorry Edmunds), there has already been pics of a side-impact crash where the guy credited the side bags with saving serious injury in a 300. And there is another guy complaining about the standards lights. I know the HIDs make a big difference for my aging eyes.
  • Options
    jcsganga34jcsganga34 Member Posts: 24
    Any of you guys seen the commercial with the CTS next to the 300? Its a Chrysler commercial poking fun at what is supposed to be the coolest looking vehicle on the road...the CTS. Maybe that has something to with why the CTS drivers are so eager to have their doors blown off...of course always be on the look out for the V badge :) just as regular CTS owners should be on the lookout of the C. Anyway maybe after the 300 leaves the CTS in the dark in the commercial CTS drivers want to live the commercial in real life.
  • Options
    tibbunetibbune Member Posts: 76
    You may want to add "Boxster" owners to that list of deflated egos. I just ate one for lunch. I didn't think I had a chance, but he egged me on at two different lights, so what they heck, open desert road in front, jerk to my right, let's go ...WOW! I LOVE THIS CAR!

Apparently Boxsters look a lot faster than they perform. It was a long stretch of road, and after he got smoked..and I mean SMOKED!...he shut it down and then it got funny. I slowed down so he could catch up, ya know, just to see if he was as surprised as me. Unfortunately, he then slowed down too. So I slowed more, then he followed suit slowing more, we're doing 25 in a 50 zone...he just couldn't give me the satisfaction I suppose. I floored it one last time and waved.
  • Options
    bobonosbobonos Member Posts: 8
    If you don't own the rights to "squirrel-powered door stop"; I'd like to use it myself
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the "lag" could be anything from the electronic throttle...to the electronic tranny...to the electronic stability and traction control. sounds like it's only noticeable when the car is floored? remember that many electronic nannies (ie...torque management, etc) are employed to keep your car from blowing up!!
  • Options
    Give me a report when you blow the doors off a CTS-V, til then the Hemi 8 really should beat a CTS with a 6. Vast HP difference there to say the least. I'd be really surprised to see the C take a new GTO given the LS-1 engine there. Like to hear about that run. The Boxster off line has never been that great either.
  • Options
    luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    I suppose I should have expected references to "blowing doors off" from this forum. I thought there might have been those of you beyond adolescence who recognized that the CTS is a new and improved luxury sport sedan with class, good looks and handles like the world class sedans it was built to compete with. Since the price of the 300C selling at sticker is about the same as I paid for the fully optioned CTS, I opted for the Caddy. I respect the 300C for its awesome looks and power but the CTS with a 6.5 0 - 60 is not a "squirrelpowered doorstop" although I did laugh at the reference.
    I promise I wont be challenging any C's but I know I'll "blow the doors off" all the 300's out there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
  • Options
    scorpscorp Member Posts: 2
    Have been looking to buy a new car for about the last 1 1/2 years. At first I wanted a G35 Coupe, then I wanted a VW Tourage. From that I progressed this year to the Acura TL and then was torn a month ago between the TL and G35 Coupe. I know the vehicles are very different and serve different purposes but I had no specific needs in a vehicle other then perhaps future practicality (Grand Children). Well exposure to the 300 and one test drive later I brought the blending of all my choices. Think about it.
  • Options
    Not trying to start a flame war here but since I'm the one who made the "blow the doors off" comment, I will respond.

I took the BEST runs I could find in any magazine between the Caddy CTS and 300C, since these are the two cars that were mentioned in the original post.

Caddy CTS 2004 with 3.6 VVT engine (Motor Trend)
    0-60 6.4 1/4 mile 14.9@92.7 mph

300C
    0-60 5.6 1/4 mile 14.1@101.1 MPH (Car and Driver)

In terms of car numbers that is a HUGE difference. So I believe my comments were justified. Yes I know the driver would make a difference as well

The CTS-V and 300C are not nearly in the same class or price range. When the 300 SRT-8 comes out we can start comparing those two. For the 15000 dollar price difference I bet I could make enough mods to a C to run as fast as V but yes I will concede that the CTS will handle better. As to my original post I believe I said that 300C owners should be on the lookout for the "V" badge before accepting a race as I KNOW the V is faster. Just my .02
  • Options
    Correction on my last post, the C numbers were taken from Road and Track, not Car and Driver
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    car and driver got a 300c to 60mph in 5.3 seconds!
  • Options
    tornado25atornado25a Member Posts: 25
    It's never been a terribly fast car, apparently, because Subaru is advertising that the Legacy (THE LEGACY!) can beat the Boxter in 0-60.

I will say, however, that these comparos show how hard it is to compare the 300C to anything else. At price points, it's comparable to the CTS and 3 series, but it demolishes those cars in performance. Thus, we have crying (well, it's an 8 vs a 6) and I say, "GREAT!" That means a 300C buyer got substantially better performance than the guy who paid the same for his CTS.

Ok, forget starting at price--let's work backwards. It's size makes comparable to a 5 series (at least, some have said 7 series). No 5 equipped with an equivalent engine is anywhere near the 300C price point. Hmmm. This is more intriguing to me. For the same performance, a 300C onwer pays substantially less than the 5 owner. Perhaps a more satisfying feeling than "I got more performance for the same money."

Of course, you can't really quantify the "Yes, but it's a BMW, it doesn't drift and crash into poles. It doesn't handle like a boat, etc." Or, "yes, but the CTS is a luxury SPORT sedan and the 300C can't touch the CTS's handling." Perhaps not. But, I highly doubt it's a slouch in the slalom. There's no vehicle, IMO, that you can fairly compare to the 300C where pricing, performance and capability are all balanced. But, isn't that the point? What IS the point of buying any one car over another? It's an emotional thing for some people, an over-analyzed decision for others and a combination of both for some.

Would I like to own a Caddy? I think so. There's still some prestige to owning one here. But, I've always been a Chrysler fan and I won't turn a blind eye to 5.3/5.6 0-60 for the same money just because a Chrysler isn't as cool as a Caddy or Beemer. If I were in the market, then a new STS vs an SRT-8 may be a very difficult decision.

But, compared to either it's competitors in price or it's competitors in performance, to me, the 300C wins hands down.