Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    Congratulations! Great choice. Am over 12,000 trouble-free miles on my Silver-Taupe VDC.

Bought extended warranty, mostly because of incredibly bad/expensive experience witha '99 Volvo XC. Generally, opinion has been that the warranties aren't worth it, especially with cars that have solid record of reliability. Subaru has good record, though with so many new things in the '05s, might be worth a longer look.

I paid $1195 for the gold package - $0 deductible up to 100,000 mi. Hope I won't need it, but - after the Volvo - at least I have some peace of mind.

Again...congratulations and enjoy!

Peace.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Great Michael, and good color choice!

As I was just saying in another thread, I always pass on the warranties. Historically, they favor the seller (profits). But in reality, you can wait until just before the basic 3yr/36000mi warranty expires to decide. The warranties are available online, and prices are usually competetive. I think Kate in the other thread got a price of $790 for the Gold warranty.

Craig
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Some of you may remember that a while back I was commenting that the headlights on my OBXT did not appear to me to be as good as the headlights on my Highlander.

Before returning the Highlander to Toyota this week, I decided to make a direct comparison. So I parked the two cars side-by-side on our dirt road to check the difference.

The Outback's headlights do indeed reach a bit further. But due to the much narrower beam, there is less illumination of the sides of the road and less light reflecting off the road signs (which was the main reason why I thought the Subie lights were not as good.)

I noticed also that with the OBXT, I constantly get asked for my low beams. I find that surprising given the sharp cutoff of the well controlled low-beams. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sly
  • Options
    Ouch...$790??!!
  • Options
    gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    Wow, I definitely missed the obvious! Thanks Craig.
  • Options
    michael2michael2 Member Posts: 31
    Is the entire part exposed on top of the carpeting. Looks like a single hole in the carpet,to keep this in place, seems kind of flimsy, as there is no way
    to get the entire part beneath the carpeting, with just the hook exposed.
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
  • Options
    vetmatsvetmats Member Posts: 71
    One thing to keep in mind about waiting to purchase a warranty until closer to the end of 3yrs: If you wait until then, you won't get a $0 deductible, it will be $100.
  • Options
    One thing to keep in mind about waiting to purchase a warranty until closer to the end of 3yrs: If you wait until then, you won't get a $0 deductible, it will be $100.

I'm not so sure about that -- I saw no mention of that in the brochure. In fact, it looked like the same conditions no matter when you buy and you can pick plans with $0, $50, or $100 deductable.

More details are online at Subaru's site.

Craig
  • Options
    itseditsed Member Posts: 17
    Silver with black interior. After 8 months in the hospital it was time to treat myself. Beautiful day in the DC area to open up the huge moonroof and drive through Rock creek park and look at all the colors. Love the car so far, but can't wait for the break in to be over. Now I just have to figure out how to hook my ipod up to the stereo! Dose anyone use a wired in fm modulator?
  • Options
    saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    If anybody knows, the people on this board will know. What is the difference between the outback Sedan & the Outback wagon, other than the obvious body styling? Thanks for your help. I'm undecided between the 2.
  • Options
    hilberthilbert Member Posts: 103
    I got in Black. Initially I thought Silver might look better. But when I saw them next to each other, i liked the black better.

I collect it on Monday. I have test driven Outback 2.5XTs a number of times (not the particular one I bought) but did not experience any turbo lag as I have read in other places. it was pretty smooth acceleration.

Hope the car turns out to be reliable. My first brand new car.
  • Options
    The only significant differences, other than styling, are:

Higher ground clearance
    Sturdier suspension with more wheel travel
    Bigger wheels
    Bigger fog lights
    Smaller brakes

Did I forget anything?

Sly
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Sly, you described the difference between a Legacy GT and an Outback XT. The question was Outback sedan vs. Outback wagon.

The Outback sedan and wagon are the same. The sedan is available in one trim level only versus many trim levels for the wagon.

The Outback sedan is equipped like the L.L. Bean wagon - H6, 5EAT, moonroof, leather, 17" rims, etc.

The wagons are available in H4 5MT or 4EAT base & limited, H4 Turbo 5MT or 5EAT base & limited, and H6 5EAT L.L. Bean and VDC. This is the US model line up; Canada model line up is different.

DaveM
  • Options
    Oops, you are right!

I'm not fully awake yet... where's my coffee!!!
  • Options
    chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    Morning Craig,

It's the weatherstripping on the body near the striker plate.

Sorry took so long to reply.

Chas
  • Options
    timo1745timo1745 Member Posts: 58
    RSOrganize-

That seems like a good price for the Gold Warranty, especially with $0 deductible. Did you have to haggle to get that price? I could've sworn they were charging $1600+ for the Gold w/ $0 for my '05 OBXTL. Just couldn't swing it at the time I bought my car, but definitely want it (since this'll be the first car I've ever financed for 4 years).

Any info you could provide would be most appreciated!

Rgds,
    Tim G.
  • Options
    nhsubarunhsubaru Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2005 outback sedan (blue) and absolutely love it so far. I 've had a Forester and still have it so I am used to the awd system but the driving experience can't compare. I am especially impressed with the high beams as up here in NH we have to watch out for moose and deer. In fact my brother in law hit a moose last week with his forester and fortunately he is fine. I paid $28.8 for my outback and feel I got a good deal.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Is it Ok too ?

Krzys
  • Options
    Moose walked off although most people were asking about the moose to find out if they could have the meat - this was a full grown bull moose so there was a lot of meat involved.
  • Options
    When you get a chance, post a picture -- haven't seen one in blue yet! Actually, the Outback sedans are rare in any color.

Craig
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, 5 new owners this weekend? Congrats to michael, Martin, hilbert, itsed, and nhsubaru!

Prices have dropped slowly and now it seems like sales are picking up.

Thanks for sharing the "neat features" stuff.

breld: great price on that GT Ltd wagon, I'd have been tempted also. But I'm house poor, so it would just tease me!

The one huge advantage an Outback has over a BMW X3 is the ride quality. It is much, much smoother, no comparison. I also think the Subie is nicer inside (you'd expect the opposite) and costs a bunch less. The X3 is too heavy for the 2.5l engine, and the 3.0l puts it close to $40 grand.

-juice
  • Options
    spindoctorspindoctor Member Posts: 5
    Where did you buy your Subaru in NH?
  • Options
    mfhmfh Member Posts: 37
    Before settling on the VDC, I test drove an X3. I was completely underwhelmed (though I know it is the right car for a lot of people). First, I agree the ride of the OB is better, absorbs sudden changes in pavement and bumps better. The BMW handled better but in everyday driving I did not see this a big deal for me. The interior of the X3 was cheap looking and to get it decently equipped with an engine that matched the OB would require a 3.0 and aprox. 40-42000. Ouch!!

I then went to test the VDC. I was lucky that they had one. For me, the better interior, the strong engine and the reliability of the VDC won out.

The only thing I struggled with was whether I really needed the VDC, because it is signif more expensive. But the safety technology is always something Ive been interested in.

BTW, my wagon has an armrest extension, and it is the bomb!!!

thanks again, everyone and congrats to all new owners.

Michael
  • Options
    Milford, although Manchester gave me the cheapest price by a few hundred I chose Milford due to location.
  • Options
    Tim:

No haggle...straight up price. Stacey Subaru, Brattleboro, VT. I thought it was a fair deal. But, just read a post that said they paid $790!! (no. 5062, I think?)

Among other things to consider is how many miles you'll put on the car. I'll probably exceed 100,000 in four years, but that's above average. If you purchase the ext. warr., look for a deal that approximates the miles you'll put on.

Good luck.

Peace.
  • Options
    Thanks to both Juice and Craig.

Congrats to all the other new buyers.

I didn't know that Outback has a better ride than X3. Quite surprising. Thats great. Makes me feel better about my purchase even more. Cannot wait to go for long drives.

Juice you mentioned that prices have fallen. To how much? I paid here the same price which existed a month or two back. BTW I paid 27642 for at Outback 2.5XT Automatic Transmission. Please let me know if anyone thinks this is too much.
  • Options
    That's probably an excellent price -- I paid $30400 for an XT-Ltd auto in July (sticker was $32990 or so). There is about a $2700 difference between XT and XT-Ltd, so your pricing is right inline with mine. If you are close to invoice (I was right at it) then it's a good deal. Some people are paying a little less than invoice now.

Craig
  • Options
    I think it is invoice. Great to know that it is a good price. Also, I am getting the options at dealer cost. I am taking only a few such as security upgrade, rubber floor mats etc.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Over at Legacygt.com Paul Hansen of Apexjapan did a quick write up after driving the USDM Legacy GT at SEMA. As many of you know Paul lives in Japan, owns a JDM Legacy and writes scoops on the latest JDM Subaru developments.

A few interesting points from his impressions:

- The 2.5T is easier to get off the line than the JDM 2.0T due to it's extra displacement and works better with drive-by-wire.

- The 2.5T pulls very linearly compared to the 2.0T which has a noticeable kick after 2000RPM. The USDM motor has the torque advantage while the JDM motor, a HP advantage.

- Overall handling is not too far off the JDM version. The USDM model definetly has a softer suspension tuning to compensate for our poor roads. He notes that "a degree of softness goes a long ways in terms of livability".

- The softer suspension translates into more body roll, but Paul noted that brake dive/squat were very well controlled similar to the JDM model. "Due to the relative softness of the suspension, especially in the rear, I can see where abrupt throttle lift mid-corner would have the rear end stepping out."

- The biggest weakness in the USDM model are the tires stating "It is a poor grade of rubber that lacks the grip necessary with a 250hp vehicle". "While [the RE92] is inadequate, it communicates its failings clearly". Should be fine for regular driving.

In closing he noted that although his preference is for the JDM version, "in no way would I be crying if I had to take the USDM model".

Ken
  • Options
    hilbert: your deals still sounds excellent.

In fact I doubt prices will drop any more until the end of the model year (maybe next April or so). Sales have increased so I think dealers are happy. They don't need incentives right now, and it would erode residual values.

-juice
  • Options
    timo1745timo1745 Member Posts: 58
    Whoops...forgot to ask before:

Do I have any price leverage in shopping around between dealers for my factory extended warranty? I don't understand how there could be such a price difference between what I was quoted and what some people stated they'd paid for their's. And I got my OBXTL for $400 over invoice, so I don't believe my dealer is unfair to deal with.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rgds,
    Tim
  • Options
    You can shop around. Many places sell them online for very low prices.

The difference is that warranties are a cash cow, and some dealers really try to milk the profit. Some sell at a lower price but sell more warranties (like the online places).

Craig
  • Options
    Ditto Craig.

You might consider telling the dealer, directly, that you know folks who have paid these amounts for the extended warranty...and, that you would be willing to purchase for that price.

My dealer has a straight price. Saw no need to negotiate, since it seemed fair. Certainly, he made a nice profit and I was satisfied with my cost. But, if your dealer seems to be looking to profit excessively on this, offer to pay your price or look elsewhere. (BTW, a similar $0 deductible, 'gold-type' plan for Volvo or Audi would be over $2000!)

Good luck.

Peace.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Tim-

Definitely shop around for a price. If you want to buy from your dealer, bring in the different quotes you get from other places. He should match it, if he wants the business. I know that's what I did when I bought mine in 2000. Another suggestion is to make sure you get a Subaru warranty, not another company. Subaru will work better with you if you have one of their own warranties.

Mark
  • Options
    schulztt2schulztt2 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Murrysville area, East of Pittsburgh. I bought a 05 Legacy 2.5i wagon from Langston Subaru (on rt 22 near the Monroeville / Murrysville line). My first subaru. I was happy with the sales process. Ordered the car 5/24, it came in 6/30. Have only had the car in once for service and was satisified with that. I know 3 or 4 people who have been long term customers of Langston and are happy with them.
  • Options
    For turbos the warranty costs more. So don't compare what it would cost for an XT vs. what someone paid for a normally aspirated engine a while back.

Inflation and the turbo will mean it will most definitely cost more for you.

-juice
  • Options
    taddisontaddison Member Posts: 99
    After kicking tires on Subarus since the 2000 model first came out, and lurking on these boards for almost as long, I finally bought a 2005 Outback 2.5i Ltd, automatic, in Atlantic blue. I love it! No problems so far. I paid invoice price at Huffines in Lewisville, TX - no hassle at all.

Thanks to everyone on these boards for the wealth of information posted - occasionally a little TOO much information ;-) - It's almost fun buying a car when you know more than the sales person does about it!

I've added all weather floor mats - these are very substantial and well worth the money if you plan on getting muddy.

I also added the side cargo nets, very useful for keeping small items from sliding around in the back. You have to drill two 1/2" holes in the plastic to install them, but the hole locations are already marked so there's no measuring to do.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but does anyone have a free maintenance coupon that they won't be needing, valid for an October purchase?

Thanks,
    Tim.
  • Options
    Congrats Tim.

-juice
  • Options
    Cool Tim, I guess you took your time gathering the facts, eh?

Craig
  • Options
    taddisontaddison Member Posts: 99
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator but never quite got around to it...

Craig, I saw your aux-in hack on another forum - this is great info, something I'll be trying in the near future so I can play my MP3 jukebox. If I'm feeling really bold I might try to find a place inside the radio to inject a signal without having to play a blank CD.

Tim.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    it is (or at least was) a flat 200 bucks more in the Subaru plan
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Tim,

Congratulations! Glad to have you on board.

Several people, including Craig, have thought up a way to get an AUX in on the stock headunit. They just need a EE to draw up a PCA to make it happen.

Ken
  • Options
    $200 extra for a turbo Subaru Gold warranty, thanks. I knew it cost more.

-juice
  • Options
    itseditsed Member Posts: 17
    What forum is the aux-in hack described? I am dying to use my ipod in my XT. Thnks.
  • Options
    I think its now 250 more but only if you take 80,000 miles+ plan. For 60,000 its the same.
  • Options
    Tim, definitely jump in with your ideas and suggestions -- we could use more help over there!

Craig
  • Options
    The other forum has legacygt in it's name. I'd post a link but it will get me into hot water with the mods!

CRaig
  • Options
    We've had a few unusually cold nights here and I have discovered that the ACC does not overshoot it's temperature as much when in "semi-auto" mode.

So here's the routine I have developped for cold mornings. After starting the car, I hit the auto button and let the ACC automatically go to full heat once the car is warmed up. Once the temperature in the car is becoming comfortable (before it gets too hot), I hit the mode button once, which switches to semi-auto mode with the fan sending air to both the windshield and the feet. It also switches the AC on (why!?!) so I have to hit the AC button to turn it off.

The temperature settles nicely and the semi-auto mode gradually reduces the fan speed to control the temp. I no longer overcook, I no longer get hit with cold air in the face, and I no longer have to worry about the AC being on.

While I'm learning to live with HAL, it doesn't mean I'm any happier with it. I still think I was sold and I paid for an Automatic Climate Control. What I got instead is a schizophrenic and temperature challenged computer. At least I have reduced the number of times I have to look down at the ACC and I no longer get fried in the morning.

Sly
  • Options
    I went out to a pretty cold car after work tonight (37F here). The ACC was on auto and set to 74F from earlier today. It blasted the heat and warmed up the car pretty quickly. After about 10 minutes, I turned the temp knob down to 70 and left it there the rest of the trip (fan speed and heat level tapered off at that point).

This is similar to what I did on my 02 Outback -- basically, the whole system can be controlled from the temp knob in most cases. So I guess I don't think of the temperature knob as an absolute setting, rather, it is sort of the comfort knob that controls the whole system.

Craig