Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    call subaru before taking to dealer. have them call the dealer before you go

Whoa. If you are working with a difficult dealer, maybe. But I see no reason to go to those kinds of lengths with a good dealer. The steering wheel is clearly defective by the sounds of it. Any decent dealer should handle the problem directly and without incident.

-wdb
  • Options
    khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    I have an 05 LLBean and haven't had any problems with the steering wheel. It definitely sounds like a defect to me. I would bring it back to the dealer. They should be able to replace the wheel I would think.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    it's either a defect or it's getting chipped by rings and other jewelry. do you and your significant other wear a lot of that, Jam05?

~c
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's strange, it is made from real wood, mahogany. It is not plood, i.e. plastic. Is the finish what is peeling off?

FWIW I really like those, too.

-juice
  • Options
    jam05jam05 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, it's the finish that is chipping/scratching/peeling off the wood itself is fine. I initially thought it may be because of our wedding bands were scraping into the finish, but realized that my wife and I drive primarily with our right hand on the wood part of the wheel and left hand on the leather part. In addition, i would think the wheel would be designed to withstand some ring contact without marring right? In an area of the wood that hasn't been marred, I scraped it with my finger nail and to my surprise the finish/lamination came up!. So basically, any direct pressure is causing this and in those areas already scratched, it's making it worse. So I guess it sounds like I should try to get it squared away via the dealer first and escalate from there if need be. The only solution I see is replacement of the whole wheel, as I can't imagine how they would be able to fix this without making more of a mess. Any other feedback on the best way to get this resolved is appreciated! thanks...
  • Options
    And show the dealer how easily the finish peels off. They should cover that no questions asked, at least if it's under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

-juice
  • Options
    clearly that type of thing would be the 1 year adjustment warranty, not bumper-to-bumper.

~c
  • Options
    I mean, it seems faulty to me, to have the finish just peel off that easily. probably means the wood surface was not prepared properly in the first place.

-juice
  • Options
    but not something that would be bumper-to-bumper. this is a fit/finish thing, not a mechanical breakage. 1 year.

~c
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Actually.. I don't think our friend has even brought this up with his dealer.. It isn't that the dealer won't fix it.. He doesn't even want to give them the chance, because he's had problems with them in the past..

So, unless he wants to try another dealer, he just has to go in and tell them about it.. Calling Subaru is useless, if he hasn't given the dealer the chance to look at it.

How much info do we need about cosmetic problems on one steering wheel?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Try a different dealer, or have him send his wife to get the car serviced this time.

Fortunately I have a good relationship with my dealer, i.e. sent them a few referrals and keep in touch even when I'm not car shopping. That type of thing I thikn they'd go to bat for me and try to help out.

-juice
  • Options
    newk67newk67 Member Posts: 3
    Just got a new OB with auto-dimming mirror, rear cargo net and security upgrade for $24,995. Didn't pay for the extra options and added an extended warranty (Gold Plan Plus) for $1100 (got suckered into this one) for a total of $26,095 (plus ttl). Invoice pricing I've checked shows anywhere from $24,883 to $26,627 (Edmund's TMV).

_newk
  • Options
    jayologistjayologist Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the late reply. I have a story to go with this question...

I had the same issue with my alarm upgrade; I tried smacking the car on the quarter-panel, shaking it by the roof rails, etc and I couldn't get the alarm to sound. So I brought to car to my local dealer and had them check it out.
    They tested the alarm and found that the siren had been disabled by the computer system, so they turned it on and the siren worked fine. Then they went looking for my alarm upgrade unit. No luck. They couldn't find the unit anywhere in the car, but the computer said that it was there. They searched a bit more and eventually found the upgrade unit under the carpet somewhere (apparently not the proper place for installation). The unit was connected but not working. They tried everything to reset the unit, but had no luck. The dealer put out an order for another unit and I haven't had time to go back since to have it properly installed.

So, I've had the car since December... maybe someday I'll have the alarm system that I paid for.

- Jason
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    why didn't you get subaru's security plan ? that has the best coverage. you can still cancel this & get full refund with 30 days or so.
  • Options
    It's the same thing I believe. It's called 'Added Security' from Subaru and the level of the plan is 'Gold Plus'. You can review the plan details here:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/addedsecurity/index.jsp?id=ADDED_SECURITY_SUBARU_PLANS

_newk
  • Options
    dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    Was this for an automatic or 5-speed?
  • Options
    It was for an automatic.
  • Options
    suboutsubout Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Have a question on my 2005 outback wagon. I use Climate Control only with manual settings (Not on Auto function) When I set temp. to 68 F on a sunny afternoon I get beautiful AC. The same manual setting at temp 68 F on a cool morning will blow out very hot heat. Even though AC button is set. Is this normal?
    Thanks all to have solved my questions in the past.........
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I think what you're experiencing is normal. The system when set at 68F will operate differently based on the interior/exterior temp and sunlight levels. On a cool morning 68F will definetly trigger the system to provide heat rather than AC. The AC display stays on (regardless of if it's being used) unless it's switched off manually.

Would you describe how you are setting the climate controls?

For example, you turn on the unit with the AUTO button and dial in the temperature. The unit will then vary fan speed, recir/fresh and AC/heat to acheive the temperature setting based on cabin temperature, exterior temperature and the amount of sunlight hitting the solar sensor (that gum drop on the corner of the passenger side dash).

If you hit the fan speed, then the system will only vary the remaining variables to achieve the desired temperature.

If you want to run the AC in a manual mode only, the easiest thing to do is have the temp dial all the way down to 65. In this case the system will always run the AC regardless of the conditions. Simply vary fan speed to your liking and you're good to go.

Ken
  • Options
    squirtdadsquirtdad Member Posts: 22
    Any updates on new features......it seems like a 6 speed was rumored....now it is iffy?

t
  • Options
    No new news. It seems as though there will not be a 6-speed, at least with the first shipment of 06s.

Ken
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Anyone know what the changes will be in the 2006 Outback?
  • Options
    Thank You Ken the info helps a lot.
    What I found confusing is that when in manual mode. ( I don't use Auto) I only adjust fan speed & temperature. Even in this setting while blowing cold AC it still cycles AC compressor on & off. I thought non auto would operate at same temp all the time. Am I correct is this normal operation? Thanks..
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    This system is too stupid to mix cold and warm air to achieve the desired temperature, so when in A/C mode, it cycles the A/C on and off to maintain the temp, which is very annoying. It is a common complaint in the car magazines.

Also, the only way to get true manual mode, is to turn the system OFF first, and then select the mode and fan speed manually. If you start from AUTO and touch another control (which causes the AUTO light to turn off), you are actually in semi-auto mode.

Yes, it's the worse ACC design I've ever encountered.

Sly
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    if you do a search over at nabisco there is a guy samian is his user name he has a fix for the auto temp control. Sorry it is against post rules to give you the proper URL.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Are your eferring to the temp sensor fix? Which works by adding a fan to the sensor's venturi?

It fixes the temperature overshoot problem, but it doesn't stop the ACC from cycling the A/C on and off to maintain a certain temperature, instead of mixing A/C air with outside air to achieve a certain temp, as most modern ACCs do.
  • Options
    dondfwdondfw Member Posts: 4
    I've received 9 years of great service from my current car. However, I will soon need to buy a new one. One car on my short list is the 2005 Outback LLBean. I believe the car will suit my SUV needs as a home owner in an urban setting, and will be great on weekend get-a-ways.

Can anyone tell me what real world gas mileage I can expect?
  • Options
    georgealgeorgeal Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what you did to get rid of the scratches, I have the same problem, tried to push the Thule box forward but got it to hit the rear light which is no better. I bought the Thule 1800 added some foam pads on the box but still have the hatch not opening fully. Thanks
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Perhaps mpg from my Outback VDC will provide a guide (same as Bean except for stability control).

In heavy Chicago traffic full tank mpg is around 13.8. For comparison purposes, I got 10.5 with my 2002 Passat W8 wagon in the same traffic situations. Highway mpg so far reaches about 24 mpg, about 1 mpg better than the Passat W8 got.

If mpg is particularly important, the 2006 Outback 2.5i might be significantly better.
  • Options
    I have an '05 LLBean. I've had it since late August. I think it has about 9000 miles on it now. In the winter in VT with snow tires on the car I get about 16 mpg. That is driving in town some, but mostly on back roads where the speed limit is 40mph.

Now that it is summer and I have the snow tires off and I think someone mentioned that they put additives in the gas up here in the winter, I am getting about 19 mpg. Same roads. Sometimes it pops up to 20.1 or so. But averaging 19.2. If I drove on the interstate more often I'm sure it would be a little higher.
  • Options
    dognutdognut Member Posts: 8
    Just for comparison purposes.....on 2005 Outback 2.5 Limited the last fill up I got 28 MPG mostly highway, but including lots of hills and small mountains in NH. Car does fine on them. I am quite surprised at both the pep and the MPG. During the winter months I was averaging 25-26 MPG mixed local and some highway. I am most pleased! Traded a Volvo XC and don't miss it at all--it got avg. 22MPG.
  • Options
    I have Outback 2005 3.0L VDC. In the morning when it is cool around 50F and I startup the car 1st thing in thing morning. I notice the first few minutes a strong exhaust smell outside of the car if I go outside of the car. This dose not happen on a warm morning. The smell goes away after a few minutes. None of my old cars ever did this. This is the 1st time I own a 6 cylinder with dual exhaust, is that why? Is this normal? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks...
  • Options
    Not sure, it would take longer to warm up to ideal temps, so maybe that has some effect.

Condenstation in the gas tank? But then it would stumble.

:confuse:

-juice
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Just hit 13k on outback 2.5i. Also have seen gas mileage creep up with warmer weather. On trip last week from Prov RI to Bar Harbor, ME than way over to Montreal & back, 1200 miles approx trip computer said 27.7 for that trip, actual mileage based on consumption was 27.1. The trip computer is usually around 1 mpg higher than actual.
  • Options
    dognutdognut Member Posts: 8
    How sweet it is! On regular fuel not premium! I'm saving lots of money these days!
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I just wish I had tried the 6 cylinder and the turbo, just to see what I am missing. Actually, maybe better if I hadn't otherwise may have wanted one or the other & would have spent 3 - 4 k more, had to buy premium fuel & gotten poorer gas mileage.
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Wouldn't have hurt me to try the 2.5i instead of just buying the turbo. Averaging 21 isn't that much worse than the 25 I got with my WRX, but it just seems like such a small number. Gas prices spiking as soon as I bought the car didn't help.

On the other hand, I don't think trying the 2.5i would have changed anything. That smile on my face when I get on the on ramp make it all worth it... even as the instantanous fuel mileage gauge reads 5mpg of premium fuel (93 octane for us) being guzzled.
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    2.5i Legacy Ltd wagon auto--23 city nearly every tank. 30 highway most every tank now. Trip to Nashville=32 mpg.

and it has plenty of power, this from a former WRX owner.
  • Options
    OUTBACK
    1.9% APR FINANCING UP TO 24 MONTHS ON ALL 05 OUTBACK MODELS
    Subject to credit approval, vehicle insurance approval and vehicle availability. Not all customers will qualify. Financing = $42.50 per month, per $1,000 financed. Cannot be combined with Customer Cash. Must take delivery from dealer stock by June 1, 2005. See participating dealers for details.

CUSTOMER CASH REBATE
    Now through June 1, 2005 - select Outback and Outback Sport models are available with Customer Cash up to $1,250. You must take delivery from dealer stock by June 1, 2005. See your participating dealer for details.

2005 Outback Sport (wagon) $1,000
    2005 Outback Sport Special Edition (wagon) $1,000
    2005 Outback 3.0R Sedan $1,250
    2005 Outback 2.5i, 2.5XT and 3.0R (wagon) $1,000
  • Options
    I don't think that model should have been built. They sell so few and got a lot of flack from NGOs for calling a sedan a truck. Now look at the incentive size - it requires the most.

The GT/XT/H6 models seem worse because the 2.5i is so efficient. 23/30 is unheard of for an AWD wagon. Go look at a Volvo XC70 or Audi allroad quattro, and the 2.5T and H6 will seem like fuel misers.

It all depends on your perspective.

-juice
  • Options
    dondfwdondfw Member Posts: 4
    Your replies have been very interesting.

I test drove the 6 cylinder a couple of months ago. I really liked the feel of the car and the luxury appointments. But, this was before gas prices increased.

I now plan to test drive the 4 cylinder to see if there is a big difference between the performance of the two cars.
  • Options
    Wow, you're getting some very good milage with your auto. On my former Forester 5MT, I averaged around 24mpg highway and the best tank I ever got was around 30mpg.

So relatively speaking, I'm not too disappointed in the milage of my LGT wagon 5EAT -- 23mpg highway and the best tank was around 26mpg. City driving kills milage though -- it'll drop to below 20mpg. Luckily, 90% of my driving is on freeways.

Ken
  • Options
    I put Plus, not Super in my LLBean last week and got the same mileage as I do with Super then. With the 6 cylindar, Premium fuel is not required, but it is recommeneded. The car dealer who sold me my car said that premium fuel is required for the Turbo model, but not for the 6 cylindar models.
  • Options
    Have 2005 Outback Wagon 3.0. It came with Perimeter Alarm from factory.
    Dealer said if I want to add a shock sensor to it, it is a subaru add on.
    I called another dealer & they said perimeter alarm already includes shock sensor.
    I then called a few other dealers & some said it is a add on & others said it's included. Does anybody know the correct answer? Please advise?
    I even called Subaru 800# & got 2 different answers?
  • Options
    The Perimeter Alarm includes the shock sensor. I'm surprised the Subaru 800 number gave two different answers!

Try testing your alarm. Sit inside the car and arm the alarm. Give the steering wheel a good solid rap. If the alarm sensitivity is set right, it should go off. If not, your dealer should be able to adjust it.

Ken
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I owned a '98 5 mt Forester. Mostly 22 city and 28 highway. In Colorado at altitude 30 mpg. Here is the real shocker: My '03 WRX 5 mt sedan had gotten me 30 mpg highway on several tanks before I traded it in last fall.
  • Options
    I'm not really surprised, if you stay at low revs and out of the boost, a smaller displacement engine plus a lighter car should yield better mileage.

That's the nice thing about the WRX, it's efficient off boost but can be a monster if you want it to.

-juice
  • Options
    Also, don't forget the huge aerodynamic disadvantage of the Forester.

Ken
  • Options
    mercedesstinksmercedesstinks Member Posts: 15
    The lease on my wife's Saab Aero is up in a couple of months and she mentioned that she might be interested in a Subaru. (Or some car with AWD). I think the Aero is a great handling,reliable car with a really nice turbo that kicks in at all speeds very nicely.
    Unfortunately the features that I managed to manuever her to when "we" selected the Aero (Turbo,low profile tires,sport suspnsion, upgraded stereo) are all wasted on my wife who wants a "nice" car, preferably with cloth seats because she doesn't like leather, a decent stereo,and no real concern for great performance or anything that comes close to performance!!
    It seems to me that the Saab is a much better $35k car than Subaru is a $30k car but that is from an owner of a Subaru back in 1973 when nobody bought a Subaru and that was my first new car.
    Any suggestions on an AWD model that would fit the bill. Space is not an issue as the children are grown and gone.
    She drives only 10k miles per year.
    Thank you
  • Options
    check out the new subes, you will be surprised ! check out the OB XT, Forester XT or legacy GT since you like turbo.