Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    IMHO the H6 is juuuust a tad more quiet. It's also more tolerant of lower octane fuel, if your wife can't find good premium fuel on a road trip. Not that that's ever a problem nowadays.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Even the 2.5i Outbacks are very quiet now. However, I like the 5EAT transmission only available in the XT and LLB models. I agree with Juice, the LLB's H6 engine will be a bit smoother and quieter. It also has a more relaxed nature than the turbo-4.

Craig
  • Options
    jbbwvjbbwv Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about waiting untill the 60k, but wanted to ask the list. I know that the new lubs are good, but I don't think they are good enough to last the life of the veh.

JB
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Doesn't the Bean have extra sound-deadening insulation? Anyone confirm? I'd pick it as the quietest, most comfortable Legacy or Outback. H6 should be very smooth and quiet. LL Bean also has perforated leather... does XT? I've seen conflicting info about that.
  • Options
    The Bean used to have more insulation (pre-05), but the 05+ models are all the same in that regard. The XT does have perforated leather. One distinction, while we're on the topic, is that you can get black leather on the XT, but not on the Bean (two tone beige only). I believe the XT seats are different than the Bean in shape too -- they are shared with the GT and are a bit more bolstered.
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    I just test drove a legacy sedan today and loved the handling. However, I feel the seats are firm/hard comapred to Honda/Toyota/... Is it just me, or does any else share the same opinion?
  • Options
    Honestly, I find seats vary a lot even within brands. We have two Hondas and a Subaru now, and have owned 2-3 Subarus in past years. They all have had different seat styles and firmness. I tend to prefer firmer seats.

The seats on my 05 Outback are quite good and very comfortable on long trips.
  • Options
    I agree with Craig.

My Forester's seats are a bit too hard.

My wife's Legacy has seats that are too soft and not as supportive.

I actually prefer the Forester's seats.

-juice
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I liked the seats of the original WRX, when I first drove it. It felt well bolstered and very supportive and except for a slight lack of lumbar support, it was perfect.

Recently, I sat in the new STi and the 2006+ WRX but did not find the same level of support. Have they changed the seat design ? Obviously the seats are now 'sport design seats' but have they widened it and reduced the bolstering ? If so, then that is a retrograde step.

The Legacy GT (including Spec.B) seats also did not appear to be well bolstered for the sporty product that it purports to be. I think Subaru needs to borrow such ideas from the Germans who seem to do an excellent job of designing seats.
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    When I first started driving my 2005 VDC wagon I thought the seats were a bit firm, but prolonged use including cross country trips proved that they are very comfortable. A firmer seat seems less likely to produce "Oldsmobile Disease" (blood clots in legs from driving).
  • Options
    Yeah, the 02-03 WRX seats were awesome. Starting with the 04 models, they upsized them for American drivers and as a result, they are not as snug or supportive. This is a pretty common gripe on Impreza forums. Those 02-03 seats were as good as Recaros in my opinion.

Craig
  • Options
    So my feelings were not un-founded. That is a real bummer. Driving a high-perf car and being forced to sit on a sofa !
  • Options
    Yup, but it's wider for the wider-than-average American bottoms. :surprise:

-juice
  • Options
    LOL. That's true. Unfortunately, I don't fit that body profile ! :shades:

So after the introduction of the 02-03 WRX, our wide-bottomed-brethren made a hue and cry and Subaru changed their high-perf seats to a sofa during the re-design ?? :P
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm if the Legacy seats are same as Outback seats for MY2005+? I may be able to rent out an outback from Hertz and take if for a long drive. Unfortunately, they don't have Legacy to rent out.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Basically, yes. There must be a group of engineers in Gunma Japan that have the impression all Americans wear waist 42 pants and carry multiple beverages with them wherever they go. :-)

Ken
  • Options
    From searching previous posts, I learnt that a few people here have used "Scotchguard Protector". How is it working for you? Is it really effective and how long does each application last? Can the same product be used for both carpet and seat fabrics?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    Scotchguard protector seems to work for general (not heavy) spills. If you drop in a mug full of coffee, good luck though. I put on 2 coats as soon as I bought the car, and it seems to be holding up for minor stuff. I will probably re-surface every 8-9 months. It is easier to spend $7 on a can of the stuff and apply it overnight, than to have the car shampooed and detailed (interior) if you have a spill..... ;)
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend good online Subaru parts/accessories store?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks. How many cans do your recommend? This will be my first application.
  • Options
    mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    2 cans will be enough for 2 coats on the front and back seats. Spray it on in the evening, leave all the windows and sunroof open to air it out, it should be dry in about 12 hours and ready for use in the morning.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    A lot of people have gotten good deals from Liberty Subaru. Another place is subarupartsforyou dot com.

Mark
  • Options
    I used to recommend Liberty Subaru, but they didn't respond to my last attempted order in June, sent twice (once via e-mail and then via their website). Has anyone ordered parts from them recently?
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I have been very happy with buying on line and over the phone from 1stsubaruparts, although their on line parts list is sometimes lacking. That is easy to rectify with a phone call to them however.

Karl
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I like allsubaru.com. They're affiliated with a good, large dealership, so they're not a fly-by-night operation.
  • Options
    My last order went to 1stsubaruparts.com, and I'll give them credit because they even accepted my Subaru Bucks coupons. :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    In Forester, only headlamps (low beams) come on in DRL mode. In 2007 Legacy, headlamps, parking lights and tail lamps are all on in DRL mode. Is this normal?
  • Options
    Are you sure about this? It's the first I have heard of it. Makes me wonder if the secret parking light switch was on...
  • Options
    No it is not the parking switch. I read the manual and it says headlamps (mild low beam), sidewinders and taillamps will be ON in DRL mode. DRL will be ON in park mode with parking brake disengaged. If Subaru changes DRL to use regaulr low beam, all that light switch does is change the dash illumination :blush:
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I have been noticing a lot of 2005+ Outbacks with only one headlight. I have a 2001 and have replaced those bulbs (I forget what they are called but you can't touch them with your hand) a few times due to the DRL. Are the newer models prone to burning bulbs quicker?
  • Options
    That's not the switch I am talking about -- I was refering to the "secret" switch on top of the column.

If you read about the DRLs in the manual, then I would assume it's correct. People on other forums have had a harder time disabling the DRLs in 07 models, so this could be part of the reason why.
  • Options
    They do seem to burn out bulbs quicker on some (not all) 05 cars according to what I read on the forums, which makes me wonder if they are being installed wrong. Most people don't know that they shouldn't touch the bulbs directly.

My 05 Outback still has all the original bulbs at 32K miles.
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I replaced both headlights at 18k with Silver Stars when the left one burnt out. The right headlight burnt out 10k later. Yes, this car seems to burn through headlight quicker than any other Subaru I have owned. Rob M.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I definetly think there's something going on with some vehicles. My 05 LGT has been fine -- I switched to European SilverStars right after purchase and they've been fine to date (34K miles).

Ken
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I have been noticing a lot of 2005+ Outbacks with only one headlight. I have a 2001 and have replaced those bulbs (I forget what they are called but you can't touch them with your hand) a few times due to the DRL. Are the newer models prone to burning bulbs quicker?

Bad manufacturing batch. The dealer will replace them under the 3/36,000 warranty. 06's seem fine.

I out Sylvania XtraVisions in my 97, which were brighter than the stockers but burned out somewhat faster. A lot of people buy the SilverStar, which is twice as expensive as the Xtravision but gives them a faux HID look.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Discuss all the latest Subaru news, dropping gas prices, or just get to know some of your fellow forums fanatatics a bit better! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So I don't have my manual in front of me. What is the recommended oil change interval for an '05 2.5i (not turbo)?
    Also what is the 12,000mi service? Is it just an oil change? The tires have been rotated once already, is it every 6k?
    When is the first service where they actually do something (replace a component, flush and fill something)?
    I think I have a coupon for the oil change part of the service but I think this might be the last time it goes in for that for a while, I am perfectly capable of doing that on my own, and enjoy doing it, but if they are going to do something bigger at one of these services, I don't want to neglect it.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Recommended intervals are 7500 miles for both oil/filter change and tire rotation. Dealers may try to push you into the severe service schedule for oil changes (every 3750 miles) but it's rarely justified.

Typically, 30K is the first "major" service on Subarus (if you can call it that). I believe there's a coolant flush, air filter replacement, and some older models got new spark plugs too. You'd probably want to consult your manual for that, as I don't have experience with the newer 2.5i models.

In general, you need to look at your manual for the proper maintenance schedule. If you go by notices/coupons sent from the dealer, you'd be doing un-needed servicing and increasing (perhaps doubling or more) the true maintenance costs for the vehicle. It's unfortunate, but a lot of people fall into this trap.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I will double check it again when I get home. I think they are using a 3750/3mos schedule for oil changes, but they are free for now and the coupon expires soon anyway :P
    In the future though, I will be doing this on my own. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the maintenance for all of our vehicles (including mountain bikes), so I would assume if I save receipts for oil/filters and have the record of when the service was performed, that should satisfy the warranty.
    I am a fan of Castrol GTX for dino based oils and hadn't really planned on using synthetic (which would be Mobil 1). Are there any suggestions for filters?
  • Options
    I have always just bought the Subaru filters online, they cost $5-6 each (or so). I believe they are made by purolator.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    You can log into mysubaru.com with your VIN and get the maintenance schedule in detail.
  • Options
    nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Last night in Minnesota we had the first frost. That said, I'll start looking for winter tires, but I don't know what to do with the actual ones (summer). This change will be on the first week of november, probably. They are new, and I will put them again next april.
  • Options
    You might want to just order tires/wheels from tirerack or discount tire or something. Alternatively, you can get knock-off WRX wheels on eBay.
    My race tires for another car are mounted on its stock wheels. When I am not using them, I keep them inside, cleaned, inflated, in garbage bags. I typically remove as much brake dust, tar, road grime, etc as possible using as mild a cleaner as possible, let them dry, check the inflation, and bag them.
    I have been storing them in the basement but a couple of apartments ago, they were on the back porch (no basement).
  • Options
    Bob gave me some winter wheels/tires that someone had given him. So I have 2 sets of rims.

It's a bit early here, though. I'll probably wait until early December to slap them on. Can't wait to try them out in the snow... :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    Dear Juice,

I purchased "Tire Totes" last winter to store my four summer tires after I mounted by Blizzaks on my OBXT wagon. The tire totes slip on easily and have handles for carrying. They keep the tire/wheel safe and dry in my garage. I stand them up rather than lay them down. Was that a good storage strategy?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    The local Discount Tire told me to simply store my tires in the tied "garbage" bags they gave me. They told me it was better to store them sitting on the tread, like they would be when mounted, as opposed to laying flat on their sides. I did not get the impression it was a big deal either way.

Edit: I should clarify that I mount mine each spring and fall due to the TPMS on my 06. My tires are not mounted to a wheel when I store them.

Karl
  • Options
    Mine are hanging by a rod going through the hub. The rod is vinyl so it shouldnt be too hard on the hub circle in the wheel, and its only about 30 lbs (tire and wheel).
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'll play.

I store mine flat on a custom built shelving system.
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Mine are flat, piled 2 high, on top of a storage room in my garage...so they sit on plywood rather than concrete. Piece of cardboard between the two tires to prevent raised portions leaving imprint on the other tire.
  • Options
    Shoot, I may lose my OCD membership because mine are piled behind the shed. They're not alloys, though, just steelies.

-juice