Options

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• Options
    kaiankaian Member Posts: 36
    I'll answer some of your questions though I'm opposed to calling the Mazda5 a van. :)

The AC seemed fine for California, but Florida might be a challenge. I used to live near Sarasota, Fla and it seemed all ACs had problems there. Second row could feel AC fine, but it's harder to get back to the third row, there's no extra vents there as I recall.

I did mostly city driving with the auto, was only on the freeway for a bit and didn't pay attention to the RPMs, sorry. Had kids and a wife with me and was mostly concerned about acceleration, merging, lane changing, etc. No problems there.

Stereo does seem like it would be a problem to upgrade. It sounded ok to me, but I see cars as fundamentally difficult on acoustics and with kids I'm not turning the volume up heavy so I'm not too demanding. The thing I notice most about stereos is controls, and I liked the Mazda5's knobs for volume and tuning, along with steering wheel controls. I plan to hook an iPod to the stereo eventually even though at the moment I don't have a real plan on how to do so. In addition to "FM/AM" and "CD" buttons there are SAT and MEDIA buttons for controlling a satellite radio or tape deck (which don't seem to be supported options in America, we only have the option of CD and 6 disc CD), so I hope to find a way to hook an iPod and use one of those buttons to switch inputs.

I liked the turning radius (34.8') and the handling in general. It was very nimble and felt a lot like the Mazda3 which I had test drove a few months ago. It didn't feel like a minivan at all to me -- if it had I probably wouldn't want it as my wife has a Sienna and I want something different than that as our second car, but I have two young boys and another baby on the way so many cars like the Mazda3 are a bit too tight if I want to carry the whole family.

As for 12 years ago, I was just learning to drive then. :)
  • Options
    perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Since someone asked about manuals ... I just drove one last night up here in Canada, and frankly it is outstanding. Far far more fun than the "sport-mode" on the automatic!

... and yes, I understand I just said "fun" when talking about something that is going in the "VAN" section. Come on, this is a CAR!
  • Options
    djsyndromedjsyndrome Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I are expecting our second child in three weeks. We're finding that our Matrix XRS, while a horrendously fun little car, can't hold both child seats in back and a third passenger at all. As such, it has to be replaced with something larger, even if only a little bit. We travel light and living in Northern California, are paying some of the highest gas prices in the nation right now, so fuel economy is important.

I've been eyeing the Premacy/5 on the internet for awhile but haven't really tried talking my wife into it yet. She stumbled across it last night while looking for MPV information on Mazda's site and seemed very impressed. Other than the bugs on Mazda's inventory search (every model shows up as a 5-speed?!?), she found pretty much everything she was looking for. We did have a couple of unanswered questions:

-Does the driver's seat have a height adjuster? She's 5'4" and I'm 6', so we need to be able to find a happy medium.

-How is access to the 3rd row between the 2nd row seats?

-Does the 3rd row have lower LATCH anchors at all, or just a single tether anchor for each position?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're going to start looking tomorrow morning and the 5 is on our short list :shades:

TIA,
    Eric
  • Options
    Yeah, I would have loved to buy a Matrix but I have 2 kids and want to be able to carry an extra passenger or two now and again.

Access to the third row is fine between the second row seats, if the middle "tray" isn't folded out, or if you're getting a "Sport".

The driver's seat doesn't have a "height adjuster" but my wife and I (about the same size as you guys in terms of height) were both able to get comfortable in it.

The third row does not have LATCH anchors, but does have tether anchors on the backs of the seats.

BTW: I will say this as many times as it takes for people to "get it". Drive it in a 5-speed if you can ... :-)
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Why the confusion?

3 rows of seats, rear hatch, sliding side doors.......why would one NOT call this a van? :confuse:

Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV)???? Uh, couldn't a regular minivan also be a "multi-activity vehicle"? Lord, I could call a '40s era Willys Jeep a "multi-activity vehicle". Geez, the only reason why Mazda would come up with some catchy little acronym would be for marketing purposes and avoid the stigma of calling the Mazda5 what it is. They did the same thing with the MPV (Multi Purpose Vehicle), but I think we all KNOW it is a minivan, too.
  • Options
    The MPV is a van.
    The 5 is a hatchback.

If the Matrix is a hatchback then so is the 5.

Don't be fooled by the sliding doors. :)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    does have a ehight adjuster (it's a ratchet lever). Same basic set up as the 3.

Kids will do fine sneaking between the middle seats to get to the 3rd row, although they would have to step over the tray on the touring.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Just to give my 2 cents about the turning radius and 3rd row access questions:

(1) I think the turning circle on the Mazda 5 (34.8 feet) is amazing. It's close to the number for the Mazda 3 (34.1 feet) and better than the number for the Honda Civic (35.4 feet), and those are smaller cars!

(2) Access to the 3rd row between the 2nd row seats is fine for kids, but was a little awkward for me (I'm 5'10"). I could do it, but it was tight. And, yeah, this only works if the fold-away tray isn't folded out.
  • Options
    mdprinsmdprins Member Posts: 2
    Since the two second-row seats have a space between them -- at least if you don't have down the tray or if you're getting a Sport like me -- is there any way to keep, say, a can of soup from coming out of a shopping bag and rolling all the way to the front of the vehicle? Is there any sort of hooks for a behind-the-second-row cargo net or something?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Wow, a turning radius of 34.8 ft? That's awesome! I think my wagon has a 40 ft radius which makes it cumbersome doing a u-turn on even a 4 lane road.

I don't get Mazda's philosophy behind the stereo design. If they refuse to design a more simple layout, at least offer an Infinity upgrade or something! I don't necessarily want a super loud stereo, but something that sounds good would be nice. The 140w 6 speaker stereo in my wagon just doesn't cut it. In today's world, high end stereo options are a must.

The AC is a big concern. For the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't just put 4 air vents in the ceiling, 2 for the center row and 2 for the rear. They didn't need to go through the extra cost of having dual AC, just some vents to distribute the air better. Maybe enough people will complain to get a future improvement.
  • Options
    There are hooks for a cargo net behind the 3rd row...I saw them when I went for a test drive. I haven't actually seen what the cargo net looks like though. The net is a $40 option. I don't know if there's any way to hook a net directly behind the second row when the third row is folded flat. I can see how it'd be useful to have that option...
  • Options
    bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    -Does the driver's seat have a height adjuster? She's 5'4" and I'm 6', so we need to be able to find a happy medium.

Yes, the driver's seat is very adjustable. I'm 6'2" and I like how high I sit off the road.

-How is access to the 3rd row between the 2nd row seats?

The sliding door goes back quite far, and the second row seats slide forward and fold down making access to the third row very convenient. I like how easy it is to get to the third row.

-Does the 3rd row have lower LATCH anchors at all, or just a single tether anchor for each position?

I don't know for sure, I will look in the owner's manual. If you go for a test drive, ask to see the manual would be my recommendation.
  • Options
    I also wish the 17" wheels were optional. I would prefer 16" wheels. Why are people so obsessed with bigger tires?

I just wanted to point out that while the wheel is bigger, the tire is (within a few thousandths of an inch) the same size (radius and circumference). I believe the larger rim allows the car to handle more like a sports car, though I don't know for sure what the differences in handling are.

Sorry for being so geeky about this point.
  • Options
    Has anyone in the U.S. seen a 5 speed yet? I find the AT Mazda5 mind-numbingly slow but I'm still interested in seeing how the MT perks it up. The salesperson at the dealer I went to said they are getting 6 Mazda5s this year and they are all AT. He said I won't be able to find a MT anywhere.

I purchased a MT 5 speed. I like how it handles. I stopped by the dealer and the salesperson said they've been getting a lot of queries for a 5 speed. It sounds like dealers didn't think there'd be a lot of interest in a 5 speed so most of the initial shipment had AT. By all means, let your dealer know you're interested in a 5 speed.
  • Options
    "I believe the larger rim allows the car to handle more like a sports car, though I don't know for sure what the differences in handling are. "

IMO, the larger rims are due more to asthetics and current styling trends (kinda like the side sill extensions) than anything else. I can understand the desire for a smaller rim size (and higher profile tire): larger profile would help ride comfort (but subtract a bit from the zoom zoom I imagine) and would lower replacement cost.

But the larger sporty rims do help the image of this miniVAN. :P (how about "microvan"?)
  • Options
    Have you seen a Mazda5 in person yet? Once you do, you'll see it is much closer to a Mazda3 or a Toyota Matrix than any minivan out there. If the Matrix had sliding doors would that make it a minivan? How about the Honda Element -- it has suicide doors, which are probably a little closer in spirit to sliding doors than traditional doors in regards to access to the back -- is that a minivan too?

And how many minivans have a standard manual transmission?

The reason why I'm against calling it a van is I think that will hurt it. People who want something like the Matrix, a hatckback with some versatility, might avoid the Mazda5 if they just hear "minivan" and never see one in person. Meanwhile, people in America looking for minivans will laugh at the Mazda5 and go on to the Odyssey, Sienna, and others.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That'll be a big selling point. Should make it easier to park than a Civic, yet you can carry more, and load them in more easily with doors that don't swing open wide.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm not saying the AC is horrible -- I thought it was fine myself. I just know from experience that Florida is a challenging environment, mostly in cooling down the car after is has been parked in the sun awhile. If I was still in Florida and had the Mazda5 I would instantly roll down all the windows (the back windows go down pretty much all the way as I recall) for a few minutes to "air out" the car before kicking on the AC. I also learned in Florida to try to find shady spots to park whenever possible.

I recommend checking out the AC for yourself before writing it off totally.
  • Options
    This is getting ridiculous.

"Have you seen a Mazda5 in person yet?" No. I've seen pictures. It looks very good in the pictures I've seen.

"If the Matrix had sliding doors would that make it a minivan?" If the Matrix was stretched to have 3 rows of seats, and had sliding doors, why would it NOT be a minivan?

"How about the Honda Element -- it has suicide doors, which are probably a little closer in spirit to sliding doors than traditional doors in regards to access to the back -- is that a minivan too?"

Um, no. The Element has two rows of seating and suicide doors are not sliding doors. Calling it a 'minivan' would be a real stretch. Calling the Mazda5 a 'minivan' is NOT a stretch.

"And how many minivans have a standard manual transmission?" Off the top of my head, I can only think of one in this country.....the Mazda5. ;) You may be surprised to learn how many 'microvans' are available in other countries with a standard manual tranny.

"The reason why I'm against calling it a van is I think that will hurt it." Well, that makes sense. After all, words only mean what we WANT them to mean, right? Heck, why not just call it a 6 place 'Sports Car' and be done with it.

If I ask someone to define a 'minivan', how much you wanna bet the most common response would be "3 rows of seats, and sliding doors for access to 2nd/3rd rows"?

Is it a really cool, fun to drive, smaller alternative to the standard minivan? YES. But that doesn't change what it is, regardless of how much you want to change the definition.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to know about microvans in other countries. And if you wanted to call the Mazda5 a microvan I wouldn't complain quite so much because at least that draws a distinction. In America, when people hear "minivan" they think of the Odyssey, the Sienna, etc. and my point is that the Mazda5 is quite different than that, and much more similar to the Mazda3 in my opinion.

As for definitions, my dictionary defines minivan as a "small van" which isn't really useful, and the definition for van is "a covered boxlike motor vehicle, typically having a rear door and sliding doors on the side panels used for transporting goods or people." And while I admit that does fit the Mazda5, the "typically" part means to me that a rear door (which the Mazda5 does not have, it has a hatch, but that's the way most minivans are now) and sliding doors are not required. Thus, the Scion xB might be considered a minivan, as it's a "covered boxlike vehicle". If I recall correctly, didn't the original Honda Odyssey have traditional doors rather than sliding doors? Did that disqualify it from being a minivan?

A defining point to me for a minivan or van is how one gets inside it. Every minivan I've seen one has to "climb" into it, which isn't the case for the Mazda5. Granted, that doesn't seem to be a part of the standard definition either, but I imagine car designs are changing a bit faster than dictionaries can keep up with. Today's minivans (again, in America) are very large and I'm finding it harder to find a distinction between minivans and er, regular vans. You ask how people would define minivan, and I agree that your definition might be used by many people, but I also think those people wouldn't have seen a Mazda5, and when they did, they might reconsider their response. The term SUV is fairly recent -- I don't think it was used in the 1970's -- but now that there are so many SUVs out the term is widely used. Perhaps if the Mazda5 is successful and other companies bring over vehicles similar to it people will adopt MAV or "space wagon" like they use in Europe.

I really don't want to be language police, so I'll try to make this my final post on the subject. I don't care if you call it a MAV, a microvan, or if you really feel strongly about it, a minivan. But I do think you should get into one before making that conclusion. Before I saw one in person I wasn't sure what I'd think about it, and my main worry was that it would "feel" like a minivan and I wouldn't like it. Happily, I can say that's not the case.
  • Options
    Not trying to get anyone all torqued and this has become a bit of a sideshow for the thread but here's my take:

In my opinion, cars can be good or bad on their own merits. By this I mean that there are good and bad SUV's, good and bad 'sports cars', good and bad hatchbacks, and (obviously) good and bad minivans. I don't understand the almost pathalogical loathing some feel against "SUV's" in general, or the stigma associated with "Minivans" or even "hatchbacks" for that matter. Before my wife and I bought an Ody, I had briefly mentioned that perhaps we look at something more 'carlike' like a wagon (I was thinking the Mazda 6 wagon) and all I got in response was "I don't like wagons". Why? I dunno; just some inner feelings that she doesn't like "wagons". And because it was a "wagon", I couldn't even get her to sit in one at a car show. Makes no difference that the Mazda6 wagon was light-years different from the old Ford LTD wagon her family had when she was a kid; she didn't like wagons, period.

I guess where I'm going is I can understand your desire that people not refer to the new Mazda5 as a "minivan" because there are certain preconceptions associated with the term which may not be appropriate when applied to the Mazda5. Things like 'entertaining to drive' or 'tidy package' or 'carlike seat height' may set the Mazda5 apart from a 'normal' minivan but that doesn't change what the Mazda5 is.

I think that words must MEAN something. Just because there are negative perceptions associated with a term doesn't mean that we can't USE the term when it is the closest thing available to describe something.

Take for example the new Honda Ridgeline. Some Honda fans may argue that because of it's comfort and demeanor, and its unibody based frame and in bed trunk, that it really shouldn't be classified as a 'pickup truck'. After all, to many Honda fans 'pickup' has some really negative connotations and this new vehicle is so different that it just CAN'T be classified as a lowly 'pickup'.

So the question becomes: do we start inventing more and more new categories for vehicles (like the Mazda5, or the Honda Ridgeline), further cluttering up the landscape, or do we simply recognize these new vehicles as simply an evolution within the category?
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    THe site is finally updated, Mazda 5 is avaliable at www.mazda.ca. It's no longer under future vechicle section!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I thought we already agree on Vanlet. :-)

Who cares what it's called? I can't wait to sample a manual tranny one.

-juice
  • Options
    Now that the Mazda5 is available, I vote to start calling the Odyssey and Sienna "full-size vans". How's that for negative connotations? ;)
  • Options
    Rorr, sounds like your wife represents the typical consumer, and you are the renegade!

What I mean, labels/image and the connotations or stigmas assigned to them drive a lot of purchases. It's the whole "soccer mom" minivan vs. "tough guy" suv thing.

So, calling the 5 a minivan does have implications. Not to how you use it, but probably (like your wife) to how people will perceive it.

Also remember that you need to look at ctagories to winnow down your selections. That is, if you associate minivan with Honda/TOyota, you aren't going to be interested in a 5 when you look at minis. Conversely, if you are looking for a "mav" or whatever, you might not find the 5, or discount it because, even if you want exactly what the 5 offers, you don't want a minivan.

Why do you think Crossovers aren't called what they really are, which is tall station wagons?

Ultimately though, the 5 will sink or swim on it's own merits, not based on how it gets catagorized.

• Options
    I agree. We have a 2005 Ody, and there is nothing Mini about it. Vanlets and large/full sized sounds good.

Actually, in the old days, the SWB vans were just called minis, and the LWB were called extended or something like that.

• Options
    I still think it's a hatchback.
  • Options
    "Rorr, sounds like your wife represents the typical consumer, and you are the renegade! "

I dunno about renegade. But class perceptions means alot with many folks (my wife included). She wasn't real happy about going from her 4runner to a minivan; she really wanted a Sequoia as the 'natural' vehicle to go to when we outgrew the 4runner (despite the fact that our new Ody has more room, is easier to drive/park, gets better mileage, and was more than $10k less than the Sequoia she was looking at).

As far as what to call the Mazda5: I think microvan or vanlet is fine. But since Edmunds doesn't have a seperate board for "microvans" or "vanlets", I think we'll all just have to deal with having the Mazda5 listed under "Vans and Minivans". IMO the odds of having it listed primarily under "Hatchbacks" is essentially nil.
  • Options
    "IMO the odds of having it listed primarily under "Hatchbacks" is essentially nil."

Why? It's virtually the same size as the Mazda 3, with the difference of sliding doors. Do sliding doors make it a Van?
  • Options
    " Why? It's virtually the same size as the Mazda 3, with the difference of sliding doors. Do sliding doors make it a Van?"

Um, yes. That and 3 rows of seats.

What does size have to do with it? Can you tell me how big a vehicle must be to qualify as a "Van"? The Mazda5 is 181.5" long. The MPV is 189.5" long. Is there some magic number between the two where one could say "a van must by definition be at least 186" long, ergo, the Mazda5 is not a van". Not that I'm aware of.

Virtually the same size as a Mazda3? Great! That means either a): the Mazda3 is large for a hatchback and/or b): the Mazda5 is small for a van. Are you saying the Mazda 3 is not a van due to it's size and since the Mazda 5 is essentially the same size, it isn't a van either? Newsflash; the Mazda3 is not a van because it has only 2 rows of seats and swing open doors; size has zippo to do with it.

Yes, the Mazda5 has a rear hatch. So does the Odyssey and Sienna and Quest and etc. etc. etc. Should all these vehicles be called 'hatchbacks' just because they have a rear hatch? For that matter, most SUV's have rear hatches too. Where would you place them?

Why this phobia against labeling the Mazda5 as a van of any description? Microvan? Sure. Vanlet? Catchly; I like. But the common denominator is VAN.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Vans have a flat floor running from the engine compartment, under the seats, and back to the rear of the vehicle. Wagons and SUV (which are wagon bodies) have a raised cargo area, which rides a bit higher than the passenger floor. In an SUV, this is done to make room for the 4WD system.

As for the Mazda5, I'm hoping to take a look this weekend. Whatever you call it, it has a great many attributes I personally would like to have in a family vehicle. The only major omission is a lack of stability control (or at least AWD). I've got a feeling the interior isn't going to meet my tastes, but, at this price point, I can't hold that against Mazda.
  • Options
    jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    Hey all. MPV owner here. Sorry if I'm butting in, but you guys are lot more fun than my fellow MPV owners are. (I think you have more post today than the MPV thread has in the past 6 months.) As far as what to classify the 5, here's another $0.02.

1) To me its got most of the "van" features. Sliding doors, 3 forward facing rows, walking access from the 1st to 3rd rows. Heck, to me, it looks like a van.

2) Just 'cause it's a whole lot smaller than an Odyssey or Grand Caravan, doesn't mean it's not a van. Take a Crown Vic and a 3. I doubt many (if any) folks are cross shopping those cars. Yet, they both have 4 doors, hence they're both sedans.

3) I can understand the resistance of some folks to call it a minivan. OTOH, I don't believe calling a car a hatchback is all that popular in auto advertising circles. Even Mazda calls the 6 hatchback a "5 door".

You can call it whatever you want. It's a good vehicle, whatever you call it.
  • Options
    "You can call it whatever you want. It's a good vehicle, whatever you call it."

Agreed, I'd just hate to see it get pigeonholed as "another van" when it is so much more.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Or in some cases, so much less. :)
  • Options
    bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    "Should make it easier to park than a Civic"

As a Civic owner who parallel parks often, I disagree. A Civic is much easier to park than any minivan...err..vanlet. Still, for a minivan, the 5 should be easy to park except for the visibility from the small third row windows. My vote is for vanlet, not hatchback or minivan. After seeing one in person, I'd say it is more of a minivan than a hatchback.
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I am in the process of deciding between the Mazda 5, Murano, Tribeca and Pacifica. I know that these are very different vehicles but my main objective is to sit high and comfortably and I like cars that handle well. Having never had an SUV or Mini-Van, I am concerned about how my driving habits will translate to a taller vehicle. I have rented the Mazda 6 (four cylinder) on several occasions and was very impressed with the handling and overall feel of the car.
    The M5 was a total delight to drive. It had brisk acceleration (driver + 2 passengers) and the steering was quick and the turning radius was very short. The best way to describe driving it was that I did not have to adapt my driving style at all. I felt as though I was in a regular car that was higher. The other cars in this group all made you aware that you were in a crossover vehicle.
    Having said that, I do have a few quibbles. Of course we are talking function rather than luxury here so one has to lower some expectations such as no auto dimming mirror, memory seats, home link, etc. But I did expect basic creature comforts which were sometimes lacking. The absence of an inside armrest for the front passenger is a faux pas. Likewise, there are no outboard armrests in the doors for the second row passengers and therefore comfort is compromised. Perhaps for children this is OK but adults will miss them. A;so there was some glare from the aluminum on the center
    console stack.
    The inside armrests for the driver and second row passengers are very slim and not
    comfortable for a long trip. The A/C seemed to be just able to handle the very hot Arizona summer but it in no way was as cold as the system on my present car.
    I am 6' 2" and there have been some comments about having enough leg room for the driver. I found the room just adequate. The key for tall people is to use the ratchet which controls height. As you lower the seat it moves to the rear. So, combining a lower seating position and reclining the back, I was able to get marginally comfortable.
    However, if you are using the cruise control, the area for your two feet between the accelerator pedal and the left foot rest is very small. I could only squeeze one foot in that space so the left foot must remain on the footrest. That means that your left leg is always in a bent position.
    I wish they had just copied the dashboard from the Mazda 3 which, in my opinion, is much more handsome.
    The test car - Touring with automatic tranny - had just arrived yesterday so the dealer prep had not been done. The tires were way over-inflated and the navigation was not hooked up. But even with the high air pressure in the tires the ride was quite good. The seats were well designed, at least for my back. And I always come back to the fact that the car is such fun to drive. Since I am never in the car for long periods and also drive almost exclusively in town and suburbs rather than on road trips, the Mazda is still in the running. I'm wondering if I should buy the 5 and then trade up to the CX-7 when it is available. The salesman said he would be glad to order one to my specs and then, if I don't want it, he will sell it to someone else. Is this a dangerous thing to do? There aren't many options on the Touring model and I only want A/T and the special white color which is a $200. add-on. Navigation is not needed for my limited area driving.
    All comments are welcome and helpful.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's not dangerous to order a car with the provision that you can reject it if you don't like it for any reason--just get that in writing. I've done that before and cancelled a couple of orders with no penalty. But first you need to decide how important all those "luxury" touches are to you, and if you'll miss them if you get a Mazda5. You don't want to be saying in a year, "I wish I had gotten that Pacifica!"
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    stickguy: So, calling the 5 a minivan does have implications.

When the 5 first appeared, they were calling it a "space wagon." I wish they had kept that name. It separates it from anything else in the US market...wagons or minivans.

And the acronyms are getting tiresome...SUV, MAV, SAV, MPV...good ol' Space Wagon would be better. It sounds futuristic and utilitarian at the same time.
  • Options
    I stopped by my local dealer and they had one platinum silver sport with automatic and sunroof. It is very sharp looking in person and looks larger then the pics suggested. I must say though that it looks just like a minivan, only in smaller scale. Albeit a sporty minivan. My partner pointed to some MPVs and said isn't that the same thing (hoping to get me away from the lurking salesman near the 5 since I only wanted to look and not get hassled). The term minivan came about from the original Dodge Caravan; isn't the 5 about the same size as that? With the current minivans all sized like full-sized vans, I think the term minivan really fits this true mini van. Anyway, the silver is not a true silver; rather it has some light beige tones to it. I thought it matched the taillights quite well. I thought the layout of the seats was just about perfect, but the all black interior is very dark and somber, not to mention hot when left in the sun. Mazda really needs to at least offer gray cloth to break up the dark monotony. A 2 tone black/gray dash would also look nice. I didn't get a chance to sit in it though thanks to the first dark ominous looking outer band of hurricane dennis bearing down (it poured a few minutes after I left). So far I continue to be impressed with the 5. I think this is the next car for me. So, Dennis, if you want to drop a tree on my wagon, just make sure it hits it good and hard so its totalled :D

I'll take a sport in Phantom Blue with automatic (I love sticks, but I can't picture driving a van with one, plus resale would be horrible; I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet) and the popular equipment package. I would like the 2nd row tray from the touring model but don't want the other stuff so I guess I'll have to forego it. I hope Mazda decides to offer that as an accessory or something! I think I'll go aftermarket for a huge webasto panoramic glass sunroof too. The OEM sunroof is too small and I don't like how it slides above the roof. Besides, I think it would look sweet and the 2nd row passengers would surely enjoy it. What do others think of this idea?
  • Options
    I think that when you drive the car you will feel that the manual transmission fits very well with the sporty drive. As for the sunroof, I think if it had been installed so that it slid between roof panels rather than outside that headroom would have been compromised considerably. Since I am tall I was very aware of the headroom being OK but not overly spacious. I have a very large "panorama" sunroof on my Mercedes. It was the first year (2002) that Mercedes developed this very large roof which happens to open to the outside exactly like the Mazda 5. The large opening compromises rigidity slightly and the roof squeaked continually. The second year Mercedes had perfected the sunroof and installed a new one without even any complaining on my part. It works perfectly and quietly. However, I might be concerned with a large aftermarket sunroof regarding its rigidity and
    silence. By the way, I don't know what Mercedes did with the fix but it is the only sunroof I have ever owned that doesn't require a deflector and doesn't create pockets of air noise at any speed. All the others were problematical around 45 MPH.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there is an optional cargo cover for the Mazda 5? Any luggage surely is obvious to the eye when lying on that black floor. I didn't see one on the option list of one website, I think it was Cars Direct, but not on Mazda's own site.
  • Options
    I love sticks, but I can't picture driving a van with one, plus resale would be horrible; I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet

I disagree - I think it makes the vehicle a lot more fun to drive... I'm going to pick mine up today, with a manual transmission. Have fun with the 4-speed slushbox though! :)
  • Options
    tcw2tcw2 Member Posts: 9
    Now that I've had my Mazda5 for a week I thought I'd report back about gas mileage. We got about 19 MPG on our first tank.

Please keep in mind these were the very first 260 miles we put on the car, and that we drove at least half the tank with it always full of between 3 & 5 adults and our child/seat/stroller. We always had the AC on, because it has been very hot and humid here. Also we mostly drove around suburbia and the city. The other half the time we used the car for commuting, and here that consists of sitting in traffic for 45 minutes moving at about 3 MPH. ;-)

I hope the mileage gets better as the engine breaks in and as our driving patterns normalize. Certainly I think we'll also continue to drive our hybrid Civic as our main daily commuter and that will help too.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that there is a cargo cover. The slaesman that I talked to showed me where it would hook in, but I didn't actually see the cover myself.

Steve
  • Options
    When I actually sat in the 5, the interior didn't appear as dark/somber as a lot of people seem to think. Even though the dash is black and the seats are dark, the entire upper half of the interior is a light gray. So, when you look at the 5 from the outside (i.e., looking down at the car), all you see is dark gray and black. But, when you're actually sitting in the car, you see a lot of light gray..this makes the interior look more spacious and not dark/somber at all. So, my advise is to definitely sit in one before you decide that it's too dark/gloomy for you.

Steve
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    No dealer in Atlanta has any 5 speeds yet so I didn't drive one. But I like what I saw. I'm gonna have to wait until the Odyssey goes back in May but looks like I'll go ahead and sell my Civic and put some miles on the Lexus for a while. I have a few questions though. Can you have satellite radio AND the MP3 player? Where is the NAV antenna? Will tint mess up its reception?

I can't wait til there are some 5MT's to drive around.
  • Options
    Gray or beige seats and a 2 tone dash would still make a big difference. My wagon has a black interior with light gray pillars and roof. It's still dark and gloomy inside. My last 3 cars have all had black interiors. I'd like something different for once but I love everything else about the 5 so I guess I won't have much of a choice. It would be nice if automakers actually offered some variety in interior colors.
  • Options
    rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    "I love sticks, but I can't picture driving a van with one, plus resale would be horrible"

It's bad enough that manual transmissions are offered in so few cars as it is. I realize finances can be a concern, but if you really love sticks, don't worry about the resale value. As you have probably noticed, many of us here are drawn to Mazda5 precisely because of the manual transmission. As much as I like the Mazda5, if there weren't even the possibility of a 5-speed, I wouldn't be purchasing one in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Ditto. The availability of the 5 speed is the only reason I went to the dealership. The 5 reminds me of one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. A 1989 Civic Wagon. Slow and ugly but the A/C would freeze you out when I tinted the windows and it was a decent highway tourer with all those big ole windows. The Mazda5 looks to be perfect. 5 speed, NAV, climate control, sunroof. What else could ya want? Other than a turbo and AWD that is.
  • Options
    mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    I just purchased a Mazda5 Sport this past Thursday night 7 July . It is a Phantom Blue (looks Teal to me). Just the basic car, 5 speed manual. I had been looking for a new car since 2 May. I test drove the following Mazda 3(both m5 and Auto) Mazda 6(Sport Wagon), Pontiac G6,Vibe (m5 and auto), Chevy Maxx, Cobalt, Hyundai Elentra, Tucson, Subaru B9 Tribeca, Suzuki Areo(all Models), and Forenza wagon.
    I was driving a Suzuki XL7 which I had no problems with just wanted better MPG :( and easier access for when we transport our senior citazen parents to various places. Plus have room for our dogs, shoping and still be fun to drive.Well the sliding doors make access very easy. It definatly has the zoom. Has features like 4 wheel anti-lock Disc breaks, engine immoblizer. Make my insurance drop $100 a year. :D I probable would have a Vibe now if it came with more standard features plus but you have to buy the power package to get them, but am much happier with the Mazda 5 weather you call it a mini-van or not it gets the job done. I don't think this car is for everyone but then no car is. It doesn't really matter to meet what other people think since it is our car. Just happy to be one of the first owners of this car type in South Central PA.
This discussion has been closed.