Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes and No. Theoretically it was an option but in the 6 years it was out I never saw a Limited without leather.
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    I forgot to mention that they have the picture of the old Highlander for some reason, but it really is a review of the '08.
  • stewartbstewartb Member Posts: 7
    You can now build and configure a 2008 Highlander on Toyota's website. Just click Build and Price and select the 2008!
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    With all these reviews being posted, I guess the press embargo is over. Here's Motor Trend's "newcomers" preview of the 2008 Highlander.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0708_2008_toyota_highlander/

The review is light on content, but there are two new photos. There's a photo of what looks like a Sport in a shade of blue I'm not too fond of and what appears to be the first photo of a Base model (no foglamps, smaller wheels) in a beige color.
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    Has anyone found a full option breakdown by model? In particular, will NAV be available on the Sport?
    The removable center seat is nice I guess but, unless I'm missing something, it means no center child seat can be mounted unless I use the seat belts instead of LATCH anchors.

That's dissapointing since I have a 2yo.
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    I wonder if you can place the child seat in the middle and "borrow" latch anchors from the 2 adjacent seats by stretching out the tethers. If this did work, you might lose the ability to fold forward the second row and therefore might not have access to the third row seat.
    That would be fine. I'd actually prefer the vehicle with no 3rd row if possible. Early on the 3rd row was listed as an option but now it seems to be standard. Bleh.

Anyway, that may or may not work depending on the child seat used. Also, some cars (like my Legacy GT) have the tether anchor on the headliner. I supposed it's possibly the HL has one there in the middle.

I could also always use the seatbelt. Anchoring a car seat with the seatbelt is as safe as LATCH but less convenient.
    it only works in IE though.
  • stewartbstewartb Member Posts: 7
    I'm curious to know what the option " Two Row Seat Package (Deletes 3rd Row)" for $740 is all about... It not only deletes the 3rd row but it costs an extra $740? Maybe they replace all the captains chairs with la-z-boys
    I think that using the latch vs. the seatbelt is preferable, as using the latch you can really crank the seat down (by placing your knee on it) such that it doesn't move at all.

I find that if I crank down the latches that I don't need the headliner tether.

I am planning on taking our car seats to the dealer to see if they work.

Good luck.
    I think your previous idea about "borrowing" the LATCH anchors from the outboard seats will work. That's essentially how most sedans work.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    I'm not sure if this link was posted, but some had been asking about the smart ket system. According to this link Toyota.com it looks like the smart key system will be available for limited models...."Clever and convenient standard features include: a third-row bench seat with foldable headrests for a flat rear cargo area, a rear glass hatch for quick access to the rear cargo area (optional on Base grade), and Smart Key System with Push Button Start for Limited."
    This parallels what they do on the Camry and Toyota is awfully consistent.

Camry: CE, LE, SE and 4c XLE are all 'key start'; XLE V6 and the Hybrids are 'Smart Key and Push Button' start.

Highlander: Std and Sport are 'key start'; Ltd and Hybrids ( likely ) are 'Smart Key & Push Button' start.

Avalon: XL, Sport and XLS are all 'key start'; Limited is 'Smart Key and Push Button' start'.
  • csmabcsmab Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the Limited will have power seat memory for the driver's seat? All of the competitors in this class do. I can't seem to find any info. on the website confirming if it is included.
    I don't think it has the seat memory feature. Nothing in the photos show anything that resembles the seat memory buttons and I haven't seen it listed as a feature in any of the online configurators. I guess that will be a "Lexus-only" feature.

One thing I did read in one of the reviews, though, is that the Limited's seat has some sort of additional adjustment for the lower cushion, inherited from Lexus. The online specs show the Limited's seat as a 10-way adjustable seat, versus the typical 8-way.

The lack of seat memory is not a deal-breaker for me. It's interesting how the Highlander and the RX tend to leapfrog each other such that there will be at least several months where there wil be luxury features on the new Highlander that can't be had on the more expensive RX (e.g. 19" wheels, smart-key ignition, Bluetooth and rear-view camera without navigation, etc.)
    I just read an interesting article on what I thought was a review of the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. Some comments from the reviewer:

Another Toyota hybrid - Boston Globe:

"Thus, instead of touting the economical features of this Highlander, which is new for 2008, Toyota instead is promoting its roominess and power."

"Our test car was nominally a seven-passenger, however, good luck fitting more than four normal-sized people in it. If you're considering this SUV as an alternative to the stigma of a minivan, do yourself a favor and be stigmatized."

"Toyota makes a wide array of vehicles, virtually all of them highly rated and better suited to their niche than this new Highlander."

I was a bit disappointed, as other reviewers have mentioned at the roominess of even the third row seat. This reviewer made it sound like it was unusable.

At the very end was this "correction" notice:

"Because of a reporting error, the model year was incorrect for the Toyota Highlander Hybrid reviewed in Saturday's Automotive section. It was a 2007 model. The accompanying photos were of a 2008 Highlander, which is not yet available."

That's just pathetic. The really sad thing is that the article was syndicated an appeared in other newspapers nationwide (which is how I saw it originally, sans correction notice). I wonder how many people will read it and will immediately dismiss the new Highlander?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Wow...that's some sloppy journalism there. The correction notice should be right at the top, or at the very least the article should be retracted. The idiot--oops, sorry, I meant to say the "journalist"--even starts babbling on about the 4-cylinder version of the Highlander, which is not even available in the 2008 model. He was out to bash the hybrid, no doubt about it, as he starts rambling on about recycling issues with the battery, which has already been addressed by Toyota--in fact, the Toyota nickel-hydride battery is less toxic than lead batteries, and Toyota ensures that every part of the battery is recycled.

Had he done any research, he would have turned up some great features of the 2008 model:
    1. Captains chairs which can turn into a bench
    2. Hatch window that can open up without having to open the entire hatch
    3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have bluetooth, NAV, rear DVD, and sunroof all at once: the other new CUVs don't offer this combination: Lambdas don't have bluetooth, CX-9 can't offer DVD if you choose sunroof, and the Veracruz doesn't have NAV or bluetooth

Here's a recent positive review from a more knowledgeable journalist: Highlander review
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    And Armando benitez, still have jobs.

Given the lack of editorial validation at the Globe, I think it's safe to assume that we won't be linking them to any meaningful discussions regarding Toyota anymore. :lemon:

DrFill
    I totally agree. I like to read objective reviews that point out flaws. If something doesn't work or feel right, the author should mention it in the review.

I can't stand "reviews" that sound like reworded press releases from Toyota (there actually was one that I just read that was terrible -- it seemed like the author read the press release and wrote something based on that).

That Boston Globe article sets a new record for sloppy journalism. I wonder if the editors even thought about how pointless the article is with the correction at the end?
    Only newsworthy copy there was that this is the first "Customer First" vehicle, where quality control and engineering are ratched up a notch, and cost-cutting has leveled-off.

And they call the 3rd seat "quite roomy". :)

DrFill
    Another positive review from someone who has actually driven the new model. :)

Google News says that the article is "subscription only," but I was able to view it. In case it's not viewable later, nothing much new in terms of facts that we didn't already know (including it being the first to go through the improved Toyota product development process). The quotes that stood out to me were:

"The Highlander has a more appealing presence than photos convey, and the additions to the external dimensions give it a beefier, more substantial and expensive look."

"The interior is generally upscale and sophisticated, with the top-trim Limited model ($33,385) every bit as expensive looking and feeling (though not as overtly stylish) as Lexus SUVs."
  • vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    I received an email from a local dealer (Illinois) stating that they will be receiving 08 Highlanders next week.
    I happened to drive by my local distributor's receiving lot and saw a base model '08 Highlander.

I could only take a quick glance from afar since I was driving at the time, but it does look much more substantial than the first generation. Even the standard 17" wheels looked good. I'm looking forward to seeing a Sport or Limited with the 19" wheels.

Coincidentally, I also saw the Lincoln MKX crossover just prior to that in traffic and was suprised at how small it looked in person.
    This one is from "Active Lifestyles Vehicles" -- never heard of them before, but the review is suprisingly detailed.

Crossover without compromise

A couple things I didn't know:

"A tonneau cover keeps items in the cargo area away from prying eyes. The cover stows in a small storage area beneath the cargo floor. "

and...

"There is a 115-volt power outlet to the left of the third-row seats, and a third, twelve-volt power point just behind it in the cargo area."

That's cool that there's a 115-volt outlet. I wonder if it's standard on all models? It's an option on the 4Runner SR5 and Sport.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That's cool that there's a 115-volt outlet. I wonder if it's standard on all models? It's an option on the 4Runner SR5 and Sport.

I've got 115V in all of my vehicles, set them all up as mobile offices or travelling w/laptops. You can pick up a 400watt inverter for about 30bucks from PepBoys or Autozone. I actually have 3, one for each vehicle...which can all be moved to the Suburban when we travel and all the kids are running their laptops.

They are DC->AC inverters. Recognize to get 1 amp at 120 volts out, it will take over 10 amps at 12Volts in...so you can't go crazy with what you plug into them, and you can't overload the 12volt plugs in the vehicle. There is actually voltage conversion losses, so the 12volt power consumption is actually more than the 10:1 current ratio that I reference, but it's a reasonable rule of thumb.

Need to think a little about what you are plugging into them, and the power each device needs.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Additionally almost all of the inexpensive DC-AC inverters use a modified sine wave, MSW(***), technique which may not work for some devices and may even harm a few.

Be carefull.

***Basically square wave "pulses" of ~140 volts positive and ~140 volts negative alternating at 60Hz.

Most resistive and/or inductive loads seem to operate okay but devices that represent a capacitive load often do not operate at all.
    One highlander arrived at a local Wisconsin dealership. After waiting for someone else to get done taking a test drive, got to try it out. A loaded limited. Very nice. After we got back, we're told it was sold to the last person to test drive it. Easy come, easy go!
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Ok when is Toyota going update their website with the 2008 highlander. They still have the 2007 highlander on their website.
    I believe they told me on the 18th it will be updated by. That is the date it's officially launched.
    Any inkling about what the 2008's will initially be selling for, MSRP + or - ?
    I would guess that it would be like any other product -- it'll all depend on supply and demand at your particular dealership.

The Highlander is a volume product, so once there's adequate supply and the initial rush of must-have-it-now consumers are satisfied, prices will become more negotiable.
    This MSRP list for base models start at $27,950. The 4 X 4 sport started at $31,900. The 4 X 4 LTD starts at $36,890. This is not including shipping fee & matts. There was an obvious error on one price for the LTD models so I'm not sure how accurate all the others are. They were willing to selling below the MRSP here. I'm sure the prices are different based on where you live. The salesman I dealts w/is going to a training seminar this week to learn more about the new highlander. After that he will be a little more knowledgeable about what the new highlander has to offer. The car I drove had a MSRP of about $42,000.
    I don't know where you got your pricing but base MSRP for the Sport 4x4 is $31.4k and the Limited 4x4 starts about about $34.1k.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Hey Scottgbwi, which WI dealership was your test drive? I live in the Milwaukee area and am looking forward to seeing one in person soon.

-Andy
    I'm not a salesperson. All I can say is the sales guy gave me a print out of the all the prices for the 2008 highlander. He noted the one error for sure. There could be more. If you have information on the prices for your area that are more accurate, please post them. The dealer had actually given me a improperly labeled info sheet in the past (not his fault). So I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are off some. I'd post the price list, but I'm not technically savvy. ****** And Shimmer11, i'm in the northern WI market (home of the packers). They only had the one highlander & it's sold now.
    If you look at this link I had posted before Toyota.com it discussed the prices. I would think those are the accurate ones. I didn't compare those to my printout when I sent the message before. The printout that I have discusses each model & a price, however, there are some accessory codes under the specific vehicles. My guess is these codes are making the price higher because of the added options. I'm sorry if I read the paperwork wrong & didn't explain in thoroughly. For example. My document say "4 x 2 Base", then has codes FE, CZ, EH, RL & TO next to it. So these codes i'm guessing increased the base price up to the prices I said earlier.
    The pricing of each model and the options on each model are decided by each regional office. SET might ( will ) spec a vehicle differently than GST than will the NY/NJ region than will the SoCal region. That's why the site always asks you for a ZIP code first.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Those prices sound extremely high for a vehicle that used to top out around $40K.

If a Limited 4X4 is going to hit $42K then what's the hybrid going to cost, $46K????

At those prices I am suspecting the wife and I will be going back to the Acura MDX which blows the Highlander away in the tech department and has a longer warranty.

The Highlander had a lot of appeal with its better gas mileage but I can't justify paying as much for a Toyo as I would spend on Acura/Lexus.
    That sounded pretty high too when I first saw the number; a 4x2 RX350 with premium plus package stickers for about $41K in my area.

However, looking at the SET dealers and ballparking based on their pricing for options, an '08 Highlander Limited 4x2 with power rear door, auto rear AC, sport spoiler, JBL 6CD with Bluetooth, and floor mats will be about $35.5, which seems to be inline relative to the RX. This assumes my distributor will bring in this configuration (I don't want a moonroof). :)

Of course, the $42K Limited was a 4WD with, I'm guessing, all the options such as navigation and rear entertainment system plus dealer or distributor options such as running boards, striping, etc.

On a side note, I managed to drive by my distributor's lot again and saw that they are probably doing salesperson training in my area this week. In addition to two '08 Highlanders (one base, the other probably a Limited), I saw a Murano, a CX9, an Outlook, and an Edge in adjacent stalls at the edge of the lot.
    The prices are not set regionally. If you go to any car on Edmunds and price it out, the MSRP and invoice are always the same regardless of zip code. Edmund's TMV price does change but that's to be expected as it's based on actual selling prices.

What does change region to region is option availability, at least with Toyota and maybe other Japanese cars. With German cars (excluding VW) you can order exactly what you want.
    I don't want a moonroof either but dealers ALWAYS spec them that way. I called a local dealer who said he could probably order one with what I want but then said it would cost more. Usually ordered cars don't cost more but he's going to get back to me on exact pricing.

I'm looking for a 4x4 Sport in Waveline Pearl with ash leather, tow package, JBL, alarm and a few other things.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    $42K is ridiculously expensive...might as well get an MDX IMO. Anyhow I bet when the decide to check out the competition they did not take the 2008 CX-9 which will have a significantly more powerful engine then the 2007 and as I understand the Murano is getting updated for 2008 model year...apples to apples but I guess getting those newer models would take some doing.

Anyone know the mileage figures on the highlander 4wd yet?

Thanks,
    B.
    Well the HH will get you better gas, and seat 8.

Does the MDX tow 5k? :confuse:

DrFill
    Doesn't the highlander seat 7? & I think the MDX does tow 5k.
    2nd row that can be extended to seat 3 people with a Center-Stow seat under the center console.

The vehicles do make a interesting match-up.

One has 3-rows, a more efficient hybrid powertrain, seats 8, and will cost less overall, plus have 8 years of powertrain warranty coverage, plus 90 cubes of cargo room.

One has superior power and handling, better overall warranty and service, more upscale interior.

Neither are much to look at. I don't know how the redesign adjusted the MDX cargo space.

DrFill
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    MDX tows 5K without the purchase of a tow package. MDX is larger than the HH and has 3rd row seating and cannot comfortably seat 7 so if you think you can seat 8 in the HH.....

HH will get better gas mileage, no doubt (MDX should get around 18-20 in mixed driving based on the new EPA numbers). However, it comes down to how many miles you will put on the car over what period of time and what gas prices run as to how much money you will "save" due to the better gas mileage performance.

Additionally if, for some unforseen reason, you have to replace the battery pack on a hybrid they run about $3,000. Generally this is not a concern but there are situations where it might come up.

I would like to get a HH if my wife liked it, but not if it's going to cost as much as a somewhat loaded MDX. The MDX is a luxury car, has better entry level features (pretty much loaded) and a longer warranty.
    So I can't advise you on which would be "Better".

Edmunds test of the HH said the 3rd seat was "Quite roomy". I haven't seen the vehicle in person.

Taking negotiations out of it, the Acura, similarly equipped, should be 2-3k more, but maybe worth it to get a luxury car experience at purchase, at service.

I personally am against comparing non-luxury vehicles to luxury vehicles. Too many intangible factors complicate the comparison.

Comparing a Veracruz to a RX350 is a joke, IMO. Hyundai will run with that joke because thats how they roll. HL at least has a track record, some resale value.

DrFill
    I'll leave it at this. Edmunds is not the final arbiter of pricing. You will be very very disappointed if you build a Ltd 2WD Highlander in Virgina say at $35000 and then try to buy that vehicle in Georgia. They will not honor that Virgina price.

Edmunds gives an indication of the pricing but it's not accurate for every region. Trust me on this. I run into it every day. I live in NC and work in VA. It must happen 50 times a week between NC and VA ( SET and CAT ).

The reason that Toyota gives each region it's own authority to offer different pricing is that each has a different population. Someone in NYC has entirely different needs than someone in WV. A buyer in Maine might never consider anything other than 4WD. In SE VA here at least 60% of all trucks and SUV's are 2WD. Toyota allows each region to address it's local needs.