Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The most expensive HL is in the mid-30's. The Hybrid could be that high.

But it's like comparing Veracruz and RX. Well, not that bad.... :surprise:

DrFill
  • Options
    jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    DrFill,

Sorry, but that price you are quoting is base price on a limited AWD ($37K). A Limited AWD with options is $40-$42K. The Limited ICE Highlander my wife and I drove had everything and was $42,600 with delivery.

A base model MDX lacks the rear DVD system and Nav but adds xenon headlamps, longer warranty, plusher interior and driver seat memory (plus other Acura service extras) and in most markets can be had for around $38K.

MDX with navigation is sticker $44K but seems to be doable for $41K-$42K in many markets.

As the previous person says, a discounted MDX compares very nicely to a sticker price highlander.

And, also, as said, competition in this segment is heating up with many new vehicles on the market this year or next. Gas prices also aren't helping move these monsters so I suspect that once a model is on the market for a year or two dealers will be willing to discount (as we are seeing with MDX).
  • Options
    flipwilsonflipwilson Member Posts: 12
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Enclave........I may hold on for a month or two and see how the prices on the highlander fall. I'd be willing to pay $500 over invoice max on a LTD highlander.......I think anything over that and you are asking for trouble on resale in a couple of years. That's my major worry with the Enclave is GM's overwillingness to offer ridiculous rebates that hammer residual values. The estimated depreciation on an Enclave in 2 years is over $16,000! (according to edmunds and yahoo auto) The highlander is not as bad at just over $12,000. But these are based on invoice as selling price. If you pay MSRP for the highlander, tack on an additional $4-5k. Not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    Where did you get those depreciation figures. Just curious.

DrFill
  • Options
    lalincltlalinclt Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the '08 Highlander on Monday and liked it overall, but for me one of the big drawbacks is that there is no armrest. Sure, they intend for you to use the console, but short people like me have to move the seat up so far, the console is way behind my arm. I'm having the dealer check to see whether it can be added to the seat. I really like captain's chairs and for me this is a bummer.
    Also wish they would make the 3rd seat optional in the Limited.
  • Options
    epineyepiney Member Posts: 462
    Does anyone know if you can get memory driver's seat and mirrors on the regular or hybrid version? Loading it up tops $40K and one would hope these very convenient options would be available.
  • Options
    No driver's seat memory on the 2008s. Maybe they will add it in 2009 if they feel it's hurting sales.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    At these Highlander prices the MKX is worth a look, instead of the Edge.
  • Options
    What's your point? :confuse:

DrFill
  • Options
    stewartbstewartb Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I just made a $500 deposit on a 2008 Sport HL in Blue Streak Metallic. We're getting ash leather, moonroof, power rear door, carpet mats, JBL speakers, XM radio, delete 3rd row, and possibly homelink. After TTT and $2000 trade-in, our final price comes to $31000 with a 6.5% interest rate over 5 years (I think). We hope to get it about 2 weeks from now.

I'll keep you guys updated!
  • Options
    My point :confuse: .......you asked for the source so I gave it to you...........that's my point.
  • Options
    avuavu Member Posts: 6
    Hi stewartb,

That sounds like a great deal you've got. Is it a 4x4 and where is this dealer? How much do you think it wold cost if one doesn't have a trade-in? Thanks.

avu
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You weren't paying attention at the launch Doc. The Murano is not a direct competitor. You left out the Saturn Outlook. This according to the Product Reference Guide. Frankly, I've never had anyone tell me they were comparing the vehicles you mentioned other than the Honda Pilot to the Highlander. ;)
    Mack
  • Options
    What was the sticker price and what did you buy it for? Not counting trade, or taxes.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    Like I said, I have a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL. The car has been a solid investment. I also love the MDX, but the Fuel Economy doesn't top the Highlander. That's a drawback for me. Also, what is Driver Seat Memory?
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I consider the MDX to be a luxury competitor to
    Lexus, not Toyota. The MDX is also a sportier
    alternative too. I've been seeing some MDX's
    on the road here recently and I like the sporty
    look of the car, particularly the front and back of the car. I'm not real crazy about the
    interior though. The new Highlander looks to
    be much improved over the previous gen Highlander, although the exterior styling is still not quite to my taste.
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Sorry, but that price you are quoting is base price on a limited AWD ($37K).

According to the Toyota site, the base price of a Limited AWD is $34,835 with delivery.

Personally, I think it's unfair to compare a Limited with Navigation and Rear Seat Entertainment system with a base model MDX. Obviously if those two features are important to you, then a base MDX isn't going to a be a viable option.

What we're seeing with the MSRP-only (or higher!) pricing is nothing new with any other newly introduced vehicle in the marketplace. Some folks will pay more money to be the first on their block to have a new model. No big deal. Wait the couple of days/weeks/months for supply to catch up with demand.

One other note: I was reading that the '08 MDX (only major change is that an auto-dimming mirror is now standard) will be on the lots in August. You can probably get a great deal now on an "old" ;) '07.
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Sorry, but that price you are quoting is base price on a limited AWD ($37K).

According to the Toyota site, the base price of a Limited AWD is $34,835 with delivery.

When I go onto Toyota.com, the "configure your Highlander" feature requires an option package (A/B/C) when I select the Limited AWD (Minnesota). Doing the cheapest option package (A) adds $2740, so the lowest MSRP of a Highlander Limited AWD is $37535. Option package A gives you a 6 disc CD changer/MP3/Bluetooth capability; heated seats; moonroof; Power liftgate, and tow package. Of these, the only things lacking on a Base MDX are the power liftgate & tow package. As mentioned above, MDX gives you memory seats plus a better warranty.

Just another example of brilliant Toyota "option" packaging - You have an "option" here (A, B, OR C), but you have to choose one. No such thing as a Highlander Limited with only Base MSRP, as far as I can see.

On the MDX "Prices Paid" board, people seem to be getting MDX at invoice or below. Invoice on a Base MDX is $36,900.

So, if you're paying sticker for a Highlander Limited AWD, you're paying more than you would for an MDX.
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    I agree, what is with the Highlander Limited and then you must add a package....it makes no sense it is either a price for the vehicle or it is not, don't advertise Limited at a certain price when you cannot possibly buy it at that price. Me thinks that site is configured wrong and you do not have to have the package loaded on there.

It is like saying:
    Car Company: Here we have this Car ABC for $20,000.
    Buyer: ok here is my $20,000.
    Car Company: well it is actually $25,000.
    Buyer: I thought the Car ABC was $20,000?
    Car Company: Well you have to get these options that cost $5000.
    Buyer: I do not want those options I want the car advertised for $20,000.
    Car Company: Well technically that car does not exist.

That is called bait and switch.

B.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I wish the site was wrong, but others do this, too. I think Infiniti does the same thing, can't get a vehicle without some mandatory 'option' package, usually includes a sunroof.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This is how the vehicles are configured for sale in your region. In other regions of the country, you may be able to get a "base" Highlander Limited.

It is not bait and switch, and you will find many manufacturers using a similar tactic. Is it really plausible to expect that every configuration of every vehicle be made available by the manufacturer on every lot?

Another example, slightly more extreme...Did you know that for years there was a base Altima available that was used as an advertising price leader, for example, but it was actual available as an ORDER only model? As in you really COULDN'T walk into ANY dealer and find one on the lot. But, in my understanding, even that is not bait and switch, as long as it isn't explicitly advertised as IN INVENTORY and available for sale.
  • Options
    If you live in an area of the country that can order the vehicle at "base" without requiring an options package purchase, let us know.

In my region of the country, just to get the heated seats (sort of a must have here) you have to choose the 2nd option package with NAV pumping the price to a cool $40K.
  • Options
    This is how the vehicles are configured for sale in your region. In other regions of the country, you may be able to get a "base" Highlander Limited.

I was curious:
    LA: choice of A or B. A is cheaper: $4804; total $39599
    Seattle: Choice of A or B: $3600, total $38395
    Boise, ID: same as Seattle
    Dallas: not using same configurator; lowest price available is $38,637.00
    New York: A or B, 3325, total 38120
    Washington, DC: same as NY
    Boston: Same as NY & Washington
    Chicago: Same as Minnesota (A,B,C): 2740, total $37535
    Atlanta: (SE Toyota) Cheapest available: $36493
  • Options
    bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    Test drove the 08 highlander in base 4x2 and sport 4x4.The base 4x2 felt very soft with no road feel-sort of floating over the pavement. The sport 4x4 drove and handled great! When I asked for a base 4x4 with 3rd row delete I was told that all base 4x2's come with third row delete, however all base 4x4's come with the third row package in the New England region. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so will it change as the year goes on? I have had an 01 since they first came out and love it. The new model really does look better live. The pictures don't do it justice.
  • Options
    pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    Toyota's site says that NAV is an option on the Highlander Sport. It's impossible to find one anywhere in the country with NAV. I can come up with many other examples. It may not be bait and switch but it's close and it's certainly sleazy. Maybe it's Toyota's fault, maybe it's the regional distributor's fault or maybe the dealers. I don't really care. In my eye it reflects poorly on Toyota.

What other manufacturers work like this? All the rest of the Japanese companies have explicit option packages (not regional, national) and you can get a car with those. Toyota, at least on the Highlander, has a lot of individual options but none are available individually. They're all assembled into arbitrary packages assembled by region. Toyota does state that a custom order can be placed but only a small % of dealers really want to cooperate there.

In short, Toyota needs to send a consistent message with regards to this subject.
  • Options
    This is good to hear. I test drove a Ltd 4x4 in Nashua NH. The ride was very smooth and quiet but I would have liked it to be firmer. I need to test drive a Sport 4x4.

As for the 3rd row, I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't know what they base the combinations they order on but it seems completely arbitrary.
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    I purchased a new cell phone yesterday with bluetooth, and the saleperson told me that I would have to check with my Toyota dealer to see if this specific phone would be able to work in the Highlander, as he says Toyota has a list of phones that work for the car. Does this sound right, should I go to the dealer and ask this? I wouldn't know which department to ask as the Toyo salesforce didn't know much about the Highlanders they had on the lot last time I asked.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In addition as a new model rolls out they normally have all the options because the initial buyers are the 'early adopters' who've been waiting for this very vehicle.

As a greater number of buyers decide to buy, 'the majority', then a wider range of configurations are needed to meet a wider demand. At that time a 'base' Limited might be available as alpha01 notes.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Plug in 45208, you can get a Highlander Sport with NAV. Both 4x2 and 4x4 (hint: just because the option pkg is greyed out, does not mean you can't choose it, it just means it will require an additional selection, in the case of the Sport, leather)

As far as consistent messaging, is the disclaimer used insufficient? (PS - Some of Nissan's vehiles are very similar in option configuration to Toyotas... aribitrary, no guarantee of finding individual options, etc.)

"+ This Vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle."

I just feel that the bottom line is this: Don't buy a vehicle you don't want. If you really want a vehicle, you're going to have to work with what's available. In the end, the biggest protest is a lost sale, is it not?
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Toyota does state that a custom order can be placed but only a small % of dealers really want to cooperate there.

That's something I never quite understood: as long as the dealer has the allocation, why is it so difficult to order from the factory? That way the customer won't go to a different dealership looking for the combination he/she wants.

In my case, I want NAV, rear DVD, bluetooth. Because of option packaging, I'm going to end up paying nearly $41k, and not to offend anyone, but no Highlander Ltd is worth $41k. It's a huuuge leap to go from ~$33k base price to $41k just because of options that are packaged together.

Unless, of course, I can get it near invoice, in my case I'll stop my whining ;-)
  • Options
    Must be "end of the month" contest running as the dealer I told to piss off for telling me they are selling highlanders for $750 over MSRP called me this morning to tell me he could offer me a Highlander LTD with nav/dvd for $500 over invoice. I laughed at him and told him I was most likely buying a competitor.
  • Options
    Just go to toyota.letstalk.com
    :)

Mackabee
  • Options
    As I stated, the Highlander would compete, directly, with mid-sized, car-based SUVs. Murano is one of the main competitors, along with Pilot, as they all come from the top 3 Japanese makers.

If Murano doesn't compete with HL, this is the first I'm hearing of that.

Outlook/Acadia/Enclave are in the next class up, and start at a higher price point. They are a foot bigger than HL.

If they are DIRECT competitors, than Corolla must be a dierect competitor with Mazda 6. :surprise:

DrFill
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I had a couple tonight looking at various SUV's. One that caught the woman's sharp eye was an '06 ( 11K mi ) MDX with Navi for abt $36K.

However the '08 Ltd 2WD Highlander w/o Navi at ~$35K was very very much in the running.
  • Options
    FWIW: stopped by a local Toyota dealer tonight. They're a "one-price" store. Saw a loaded H Ltd 4WD (NAV + DVD): Sticker was $42200, and their "one-price" was $40800.

My impressions:
    1. I liked the height of the HL. In driving, it felt much less trucky than my Pilot, and more sedany, which for me is a good thing.
    2. Did not like the Plood at all, and the door panels also seemed cheap compared to my $25k Pilot (let alone an MDX). I think Toyota started going with not-as-nice textures on the 07 Camry, and it's spread here.
    3. Also thought the leather should be of a nicer texture for a $40k vehicle.
    4. Second row seats were comfortable, but I can't imagine putting anyone in the middle.
    5. Access to back row was good, but that seat is LOW. When I got home I caught the new commercial for the HL. Look for the small kid sitting in the 3rd row, and check out how high his knees go up while he's sitting there. And that's a 3 or 4 year old. I need to look again, but my immediate thought is that the Pilot's 3rd row is still more usable (and we're only talking about 2 across the 3rd row).
    6. The big feature that the 08 HL has that's not there on the Pilot (unless you go Nav) is the rear-view camera. However, while standard on both the Sport & Limited, it's not even an option on the base HL. So, if that's a big thing, you either have to go with the much stiffer Sport, or pay for the leather (which is not worth it to me personally) of the Limited. I would hope that in coming model years, Toyota would at least make this feature optional on the base.

All in all, a nice vehicle, but to get the options I'd like, you're talking MDX money, or close to it (and I'm not including DVD - wife won't allow - nor NAV - already have a Garmin for the rare times I'm in a new place).
  • Options
    The "textures" inside the Camry have not only been accepted, but have impressed potential buyers, particularly the seats.

The wood (color) has met with universal hatred. :mad: :mad:

Fortunately the LE does without. :)

DrFill
  • Options
    Jm, if you really want one I would wait 'till the last day of the month, show up around 1 hour before closing time and make them a reasonable offer on the vehicle. That is if they have what you want in stock. You will either get a great deal or get shown the door very quickly.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Yeah, but how many have you actually sold? Previous Camry owners will tell you the materials are not the same quality as previous Camry generations, to wit: the 92-96 which was actually a Lexus in disguise until Toyota "decontented" the next generation 97-01 which IMHO have the cheapest looking upholstery of any Toyota ever. The 02-06 came back with higher quality materials and this current one went back to the cheaper materials. Notice a trend here?
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Ok Doc, since you've been selling Toyotas how many times have you had (a) customer(S) tell you they are looking at Murano, CX9, Outlander, MDX, or Saturn suv's? :shades:
    I don't know what part of the country you're in but in my neck of the woods our main competition is and has always been HONDA! :P Once in a blue moon I'll get customers who are also looking at the Lexus RX since they know or have heard that it's very similar to the Highlander but more expensive. Other than that it's always: "We are also looking at the Pilot."
    "If they are DIRECT competitors, than Corolla must be a dierect? competitor with Mazda 6. :surprise: " That is the most asinine comment you've made since posting here and there have been quite a few. ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Of the HL, that's why the HL grew the way it did, and now has more cargo room than the Pilot. Pilot and HL are THE mid-size CUV leaders, So you're not breaking any news thur.

The Murano is Nissan's mid-size CUV, so nothing really needs to be said.

The Lambdas are full-size CUVs. They are indirect, not direct, competitors. I'm trying to presume you know the difference.

Regarding the Camry, I am happy with the interior, but hate the wood, and the customers I dealt with agree, in general. Many people were sold as soon as they sat in the seat and got comfortable. I think that's a sign of a well-done interior. :)

Didn't see many '02+ Camry trades, as people hold them, or pass them on to family. Not many Toyota trades at all, really. ;)

I guess my analogy went over your head, so I got an angry response, which is fine.

I don't currently sell cars.

DrFill
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, my phone isn't listed even though it seems to be a fairly standard AT&T product. Perhaps it's too new.
  • Options
    ramleramle Member Posts: 10
    >>>

DrFill,
    Why do you think that Highlander has more cargo space? Pilot is longer and wider than the new Highlander and when I looked at both, Pilot definitely seemed to have more cargo space.
  • Options
    flormattflormatt Member Posts: 5
    I visted my local Toyota dealer in Davie, FL and I was looking at Tundras, on the showroom floor they had a gorgeous Grey 08 Highlander. I sat in it front and back, played with the seats, etc. I am 6'1" and I sat comfortably in the 2nd row with the drivers seat all the way back. This vehicle actually has more room than my current 2005 Yukon Denali. I am getting a worthless 12.6 mpg average in the city where I do most of my driving. This vehicle in a Hybrid is huge on my radar now. I am just worried that I am going form a rugged American SUV to more of a "soccer Mom" type vehicle. Can anyone chime in here that may have moved from a large American SUV and give me your thoughts? Thanks
  • Options
    "I don't currently sell cars."

I didn't think so.
    :shades:
  • Options
    shotcallashotcalla Member Posts: 4
    The new HL gives a lot of space to 2nd row passengers but is a little light behind the 2nd row and as others have mentioned the storage space behind the 3rd row is not usable. The only thing that seperates the HL from the pack is the rear window can be raised.

Cubic feet of storage: total/behind 2nd/behind 3rd row

HL - 95.4/42.3/10/3
    Pilot - 90/48/15.9
    MDX - 83.5/42.9/15.6
  • Options
    It'd be interesting to know what position the 2nd row was in when they made those measurements. The 2nd row on the HL slides back and forth but it doesn't on the Honda products. THat can make a big difference.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen any '08 Limiteds at their dealer that have the rear seat automatic A/C option? None so far in NorCal.
  • Options
    Both limiteds I looked at had it. It's a nice feature if you have kids since the driver can control the rear temp but I'm not sure I want to pay for it.
  • Options
    Pablox,

Can I ask what part of the country you are in? I have had a dealer here in NorCal say the rear A/C option may not be coming for some time, if at all.