Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    On older Highlanders the second seat did not fold totally flat. I need flat floor space for two large dog crates. Does the second seat on the new Highlander fold completely flat, like American station wagons and Volvos always have done, or is it still on an angle, like the Passport and the older Highlanders?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I almost got stuck in a Toronto parking garage on a busy Saturday morning when I didn't think the canoe on top of my minivan would clear. The 5 cars behind me weren't too happy as I backed out of the ramp. :blush:

I don't know about factory crossbars on the Highlander. I'll occasionally carry a canoe on the factory bars of my Outback or minivan, but I have a Yakima rack with beefy crossbars that I prefer (it can handle 2 canoes side by side and more piled on top - don't ask me about weight limits though).
  • Options
    pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    Realize that there's also a total roof limit that may be different than what the crossbars can handle. I'd try to keep it at 150lbs or less in any event.

I've always used Yakima roof racks (Thule is just as good) and never had a problem, either on one using their towers on a sedan or using their crossbars on factory roof rails. Personally, I prefer having the roof rails available if possible. I'd never use the factory cross bars though.

Currently, I drive an 05 Legacy GT Wagon that has factory rails (a different design than most). Yakima has very nice adaptors for their crossbars to fit on it.
  • Options
    pch316pch316 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys the 2008 are out already in NJ. I just purchased a 2008 HL Limited in Blizzard Pearl. The car is georgeous. Very comfortable and smooth ride. Lots of interior room and large cargo space. I was going to get the Sport model but I liked the Limited better with the wood trimmings, leather interior and the smartkey entry. Good luck guys.
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Here's the skinny (as I see it)
    I am in Norcal too. I want the tow prep package, but according to the configurator at toyota.com, its not available. If you use a SoCal zip, there are less option packages but they are fully loaded (rear Auto AC, Tow prep)

If I have too, I'll fly to LA and get the one I want. For $100 I can get a one way ticket and drive the thing back.

But, IMO, if we wait a few months while the supply of highlanders gets better, you will see NorCal Highlanders get the same options as Socal. Toyota is just trying to satisgy what they see people want in different regions, using a limited supply of highlanders.
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    Here is a link of an image to how the rows fold--not absolutely flat, and that is also my experience in person.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=4772&id- g=1&idi=29
  • Options
    hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    Microbust,

(SoCal) I picked up my 2008 Highlander Limited 4WD fully loaded (Option B package) on July 31. Got a great deal from Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills, They are one of the largest dealers in the LA area Check them out on the Web, Their inventory is on line. You could fly in to Burbank.
  • Options
    HighTech,

Can I ask if yours has rear seat air and what kind of deal you got with respect to cost/MSRP?
  • Options
    Please report on your deals in the Toyota Highlander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion - that's the place many people will look first when they are shopping.

And there's a new place here to rate your dealer (and the service you get):

Dealer Ratings and Reviews

Thanks!
  • Options
    hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    Microbust,

Yes, It has the rear seat air, Plus
    - Rear-seat DVD entertainment system with 9-inch display, rear-seat audio and two wireless headphones [11] (includes 115V power outlet and RCA jacks) [12] (EY)
    - 50 state emissions (FE)
    - CFC-free rear automatic digital climate control system with integrated multi-function display and air filter [5] (QR)
    - Carpet/cargo mat - 3 row seating (CT)
    - Color-keyed sport-styled rear spoiler with LED center high-mount stop lamp (CHMSL) (RF)
    - Multi-stage heated front seats (HD)
    - Power rear door with jam protection (PB)
    - Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade (SR)
    - Towing Prep Package [3]-includes 5000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150-amp alternator and prewired harness (TO)
    - Voice-activated DVD navigation system[8] with JBL® AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer, satellite radio capability [6], MP3/WMA playback capability, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [7] wireless technology and nine speakers including subwoofer in seven locations (NV).

I Got it for .75K above Invoice.
    No Trade-In.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Must have been the end of the month deal! Good for you. :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    jeffer3jeffer3 Member Posts: 22
    Yes, parking in a garage is another problem. I have the Thule Hull-a-port (J shaped craddle) on my Outback, with no kayak involved, and it was brushing against the drop-down signage warning of the height restrictions. Fortunately once I got past the sign the parking attendants took over and they found a spot for me. :)
    The point I was making about the factory Subara cross or load bars, is that they are fairly easy to bend which could render them completely useless and possibly dangerous. I have a 2006 OB but I have tied down kayaks on my friends 2001 OB with factory parts and did not have any problems.

Jeffer3
  • Options
    The side bars on my minivan sagged when I attached Yak crossbars to them and put a canoe on top. So I went with towers (no dents yet).

I always tie my loads down to the frame in case the rack fails but most cars don't make it easy to find a tow hook or something to tie off on. I bet the Highlander is no different, especially in the front. I had to put a loop under my hood for my van (link).
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Had a chance this am to have a good look at the new Highlander. We had a 2004 Limited. It was a comfortable,good looking vehicle, but the transmission hesitation was not fixable--at least by the dealers we went to. Anyway the dealer had 3 Highlanders out front. One Limited and two base. My personal opinion is they are too bubblous in appearance compared to the previous model. Also one thing I noticed there are not separate arm rests for the front seats. This was a great feature on our 2004.

I will take one for a drive and see if there is any noticeable hesitation. I suppose the style might grow on me.
  • Options
    roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    The deed is done. I made the decision and bought one of the last '07's left. I just couldn't convince myself the 08 was worth the extra $$$. A lot of new creature comforts sure but I didn't care for the new larger size and bulbous look. If they had improved the fuel economy maybe but they didn't. The 07 is a proven design and my '03 ran flawlessly for 4 years without one repair required.
    I'll wait for the new sporty crossover or maybe the Infiniti ex35 next. :)
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Okay so this might be my 4th HL. I test drove the 2008 sport 2 weeks ends ago and didn't like the steering reponse.

this past weekend family and I took a limited out for a spin and the steering felt more responsive BUT you can definitly tell that Toyo included a power assist to the rack&pinion. Oh well....So it as close to 100 degrees and the AC did not cool the interior down fast or all that much.

What gives. I did have the back 2nd seat ac on and I guess the third row was on also. Any thooughts from the unwashed masses....I include myself in there also.... :confuse:
  • Options
    The new Highlander has Electric power steering assist that's why it feels different. Did you have both a/c units on Auto? and or the temp control to 65 degrees and recirculate button on?
    Mackabee
  • Options
    lalincltlalinclt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Limited and was anxious to try the new Highlanders because I've never been pleased with the transmission in mine. I liked the new leather seats, but no armrest is a showstopper for me. It's also bigger than I need. I think the sto-and-go console is a waste, although I like the captains chairs in the back. Guess I'll keep mine a few more years and see what happens.

Linda from Charlotte
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    . Oh well....So it as close to 100 degrees and the AC did not cool the interior down fast or all that much.

We often get this question this month. It occurs most often with the Sienna's, not so much with the past Highlander, I have an '04 also.

Since you've had 3 already I assume you've been given or discovered the correct procedure to cool down the vehicle on 100 deg days.

-open the window first to evacuate the 120+ deg air inside
    -engage the 'recirculate'
    -engage the MAX cold ( LO ) and MAX fan
    -close the windows after about 10-15 sec of driving

Don't disengage the 'recirculate' at all.
  • Options
    ramleramle Member Posts: 10
    I test drove one this Sunday. It was the base model 4X4
    Really liked the ride, but don’t care for the new design. Also, so far I like the ride of Nissan Murano and Honda Pilot better.
  • Options
    ronliteronlite Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone driven both the Sport and the Limited? How do they compare?
  • Options
    miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I'ved been reading about how options differ in different regions. I just wanted to know, would I be able to get a 2008 Highlander Limited with NAV and Rear seat DVD here in South Florida? Also, does anyone see the price of the '08 Highlander dropping say, come next March or April?
  • Options
    barnowlbarnowl Member Posts: 18
    Could anyone describe the AWD system on the 2008 Highlander?
    ....is it electronically controlled? ....is it mechanical i.e. viscous-lock center-diff? ....does it have limited slip rear differential ?

Does it have a low-speed AWD-Lock feature like the RAV4?

Thanks!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your sequence is just a "tad" wrong.

The idea is that on a bright and sunny day, with the OAT maybe even a bit on the coolish side, say less than 65F, the passneger cabin can be OVERHEATED as a result of setting outside closed up in that BRIGHT sunlight.

1. Lower the rear windows.
    2. If the system has put itself in recirculate, as many do, change it to FRESH mode.
    3. Put the system, or temperature setpoint, to MAXIMUM cooling.
    4. If "3" doesn't result in Maximum blower speed then do so manually.

For best/better A/C cooling performance and efficiency..

Once the cabin atmosphere, and after a few more minutes the materials and surfaces, has cooled down to OAT, or to your personal comfort level...

Close the windows, NOW change to the recirculate mode, and set the blower speed to the LOWEST level that will sustain your temperature comfort level.

Leaving the system set to maximum cooling will result in bypassing the REHEAT/REMIX airflow mode thereby DRAMATICALLY inproving the efficiency of the system for cooling purposes. Also, the improvement in FE will NOT be insignificant.

With the above technique in use if the system outlet airflow is TOO COLD for your comfort then you can switch to footwell outlet airflow. If you are wearing long pants the COOLISH airflow from the footwell will not be as, very, discomforting.
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Perhaps I did not express myself clearly enough, or the discussion just got off on a tagent. I understand the procedure for cooling down a car interior.
    Spyder what is "OAT" and "FE" I work for the Federal Govt and consider myself a "TLA" king but these I do not recognize.

The observation I made about the lack of 'cool' feeling from the air conditioner was after I had been on the test drive for 15 minutes with the vehicle on I-15 moving at 65 - 70 MPH. The system was in remix-recirculate mode.

What I do not know is if I had the AC set correctly for the new HL. If I did then Toyota blew it. A vehicle this size should have the ability to cool down and stay that way.
  • Options
    I'm guessing OAT is Outside Ambient Temp while FE is Fuel Economy. The latter being very unofficial internet forum/blog speak.

I agree that the Limited seemed confusing to me since I didn't see a readout of what the actual temperature setting was. Like the Sienna XLE with the 3 zone system one could link all three using the 'SYNC' button or leave them all separate by disengaging it. I did see the digital readout on the back of the center console for the rear though.

[EDIT: the digital temp readouts are indicated on the Milti-Information Display above the audio system ]
  • Options
    What's wrong with your transmission Linda?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    FE is fifty state emissions, OAT is used by Southeast Toyota to designate Automatic Transmission. If you check the Southeast dealers their option codes are the same as ours except they add two characters before the two letter code. Ex, 0ADJ, 0ALA, OANV, would be our equivalent DJ,LA,NV. Same thing for JBL upgrade stereo, Leather trim interior, Navigation system.

Mackabee
  • Options
    In the context of the OP's ( ;) )post I don't think he was referring to Fifty State emissions or auto trannies.
  • Options
    To answer your questions.
    Yes.
    The price drops depending on your negotiating skills.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Roger, I didn't see the first post relating to that. My bad. :( I'm not a fan of TLA's to begin with. ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    When testing the new Highlander take a gander at the new Owner's Manual. It's not War and Peace...but it's close.

I just did a speed reading of it. Lots and lots of detail.

Then there is the 1 month seminar on the Navi System.
  • Options
    I have just been emailing a dealer in NorCal on a new 2008 limited highlander. He wants MSRP.
    I said - give me your best price
    Dealer said - tell me how much lower than MSRP
    I said - are you crazy, I'll offer you invoice PLUS $750
    Dealer said - bugger off, go somewhere else

WOW
  • Options
    Dear mtairyordge:

Re: A/C, do you remember if yours had the rear automatic climate control option with the vents for the back 2 rows?

In any case, it's strange that all of NorCal Toyota doesn't offer the rear A/C option, as our region often gets up to 100 degrees or hotter in the Central Valley. If the Highlander claims a usable 3rd row, it shouldn't be hot back there.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    OAT is Outside Air Temperature, as on OAT sensor, the thermistor mounted just behind the grille in front of the A/C condensor to supply the signal for the outside air temperature display and as an input, an IMPORTANT input, to/for the climate control system.

FE is FUEL ECONOMY.

There is nothing, NOTHING, any A/C can do if you happen to be setting there in BRIGHT sunlight, you can make the airflow cool, even COLD, but you will still not feel cool.

There is NO system on the market today that will or can adequately address the issue of radiant heating, or cooling.

Additionally IMMHO Toyota goes out of its way, overboard, insofar as the compromise between cooling the cabin and/or creating human discomfort. So the system airflow is NEVER extreme, especially once the system gets the cabin close to your setpoint temperature.

Are you sure someone hadn't inadvertently covered the radiation sensor with a pamphlet, book, or map?
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    The dealerships will probably try to milk MSRP as long as they can, but it's bound to drop faster than a bum on a salami sandwich: the car to beat at this moment is the GMC Acadia (even Consumer Reports loves it), which you can get cheaper than the HL for similar options.

I like the new HL, but will not pay anywhere close to MSRP for it. Invoice price is about $5k lower than MSRP, so lots of room to work with in a couple of months or so!
  • Options
    They do offer rear AC and towing
    You just have to ask for it, and wait
    Rear AC is code QR
    Tow prep is code TO
    I live in NorCal and I am ordering one with those options
  • Options
    Dear Nimrod,

Thanks for the tip. The dealers I have talked with have not said I could order, but instead have said the rear air option is not available.

Does Toyota let you order option by option, or do you have to take the entire Option Package (e.g., B from NorCal) as is? In this respect, do you add the TO and QR options to an Option package A, B, or C; or pick and choose as you go? I would like Nav but don't feel we need the heated seats and auto rear door so I'm wondering if I can delete these. Incidently, we live in Walnut Creek.
  • Options
    snickers5snickers5 Member Posts: 2
    Went to Costco Online and got set up with a dealer in SoCal. Highlander Sport is available at $800 and Limited is $1600 over invoice. The $800 over invoice on the Sport is about $1000 less than the best deal I could get through the internet. Pricing may be better after the car has been out a while but I need a replacement vehicle now. Not a bad price for new model. No haggling and no surprises. Oh yeh, Costco Executive members get a $50 Costco Gift card when sale is closed.
  • Options
    I don't know which ones you want, but I am trying to get
    NV= Nav, PB=Power rear door, HD=heated seats, SR=Moon roof, TO=Tow Prep, QR=Rear AC.
    They wont deal at the moment. If you order specific options, you will have to wait and pay MSRP.

Toyota's configurator says in small print "Note: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle"
  • Options
    kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    I found this for the 2008 Highlander using Google. Can't vouch for its accuracy. I also was researching the Mazda CX9--found out that it does not have a switch to lock front/rear distribution--it continually varies the power distribution from 0 to 50/50 depending on what the vehicle's computer decides it needs. Hope this helps.

Ken

"As before, non-hybrid Highlanders are offered with front- or four-wheel drive. As is typical in the crossover class, "four-wheel drive" means a single-range system, designed for the all-weather on-road use that is the natural habitat of a crossover. In many competitors, this also means an automatic part-time system, which runs in front-wheel drive mode until wheelslip activates torque transfer to the rear wheels. 4WD Highlanders use a full-time all-wheel drive system, with a 50/50 front/rear static torque split, for better traction in all conditions."
  • Options
    I haven't been able to find any concrete info but the RX350 started using a viscous center diff in 2007. I would imagine the Highlander would use the same system since it uses the same engine.

Toyota has used a lot of different AWD systems. I believe the 4Runner has a Torsen in the center and previous generations of RAV4s have also used a Torsen (a great system IMO). In some cases they've even changed the AWD system for a given model year without changing much else about the car.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on ordering. With the spread between invoice and MSRP about $5K, I am reticent to order/pay MSRP when I feel it is Toyo that should offer the rear a/c option in a region that needs it.
  • Options
    a few points

- "part time" usually refers to pickup truck-like systems that lock the front and rear axle together (no differential) and can't really be used on a dry road.

- The systems that are primarily FWD have a number of different center differential types. However, most use an electronic clutch (like the Haldex system used by Volvo, VW and Ford/Mazda) and have a static split of 90:10. These systems are generally fine for typical CUV use.

- if it says 50:50, once again there are a number of different center diff types. The center diff could be a torsen, a viscous or it could be completely open and use the brakes to direct torque. The latter is what Mercedes 4-matic does. "better traction in all conditions" is marketing spin IMO but the torsen based systems are generally very good. The others are likely good enough.
  • Options
    I have just heard from a confidential source, that starting in September, the next batch of 2008 Highlanders will all have automatic rear AC and tow prep packages. The feed back from the dealers is there is a huge demand from customers asking for these options.
    However, don't expect to get a good deal. Its MSRP minus a little
  • Options
    I would find another dealer. However, based on the options you mentioned it might be hard to get a big discount right now. Limiteds with Nav are just that; limited. Try other dealers in your area and see what happens.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I had heard from a Toyo person that NorCal made a bit of an oversight not making the rear a/c option available and they were going to fix it, but I wasn't sure this was credible and there was no timeframe named, so thanks and I am hopeful about September.
  • Options
    hsvillagehsvillage Member Posts: 36
    Just bought Base 08 HL and I noticed no call to replace timing belt @ 90K miles service. Does this mean the new HL has a timing chain?
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    If it is a chain then there is no replacement mileage as I understand it.

B.
  • Options
    The 3.5L definitely has a chain. If the car had enough miles on it, the chain would have to be replaced but that number is a lot higher than 90k.