Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Manufactured in South Africa

yumcupcakesyumcupcakes Member Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in BMW
I am in the market for a 2015 CPO 328i and I've noticed that several of the dealers in Houston have cars manufactured in South Africa. Most have less than 5K miles.

Is there a reason there are so many? Are they safe to buy? They seem to be priced lower than the USA made BMWs.

Any insight here would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084

I am in the market for a 2015 CPO 328i and I've noticed that several of the dealers in Houston have cars manufactured in South Africa. Most have less than 5K miles.

Is there a reason there are so many? Are they safe to buy? They seem to be priced lower than the USA made BMWs.

Any insight here would be helpful.

Thanks

There aren't any USA made 3-series. It's either South Africa or Germany, and I would guess that most of the 328i models here are from South Africa. Usually, it's the bigger engine model 3-series that are made in Germany.

They've been building cars there, for years.. I had a 2003 model that was manufactured there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• yumcupcakesyumcupcakes Member Posts: 5
    I understand that some cars are manufactured there, but this dealer is specifically pointing out the vehicle is from South Africa is in it was driven for 5K miles in South Africa (I assume) then brought from BMW NA and is now being sold in the US: http://www.bmwwest.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-328i+Sedan-c0f90ef60a0a00de3b7dd6f588c8e2cd.htm

There are several COPs with this "disclaimer". Has anyone heard of this before?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084

I understand that some cars are manufactured there, but this dealer is specifically pointing out the vehicle is from South Africa is in it was driven for 5K miles in South Africa (I assume) then brought from BMW NA and is now being sold in the US: http://www.bmwwest.com/certified/BMW/2015-BMW-328i+Sedan-c0f90ef60a0a00de3b7dd6f588c8e2cd.htm

There are several COPs with this "disclaimer". Has anyone heard of this before?

Not driven in SA... just imported like all the rest of them... and, then it's either a service loaner, demo, or corporate driven vehicle, here in the USA.

Nothing unusual about it... the majority of 328s destined for the USA are imported from SA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76

I dont understand the question. What does the geographical location of manufacture have to do with purchase of an assembled object?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it was built for sale in South Africa, it would be a right hand drive car.