Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    miketl07miketl07 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Chasboy couple more questions for you. Sounds like your 21.5 is suburban type driving similar to what I do here in Omaha. To describe my "normal driving" it's some stop lights, some lights timed, no stopping. Stretches (small expressways speed limit 55 for about 4-5 miles) then back to a stop light here and there. Nothing like downtown driving where you are constantly stopping. I don't recall where you are out of but I think you mentioned suburbia somewhere LOL. I'm guessing you are burning Premium versus mid-grade? One more for you not mileage related; I shyed away from the white when I bought my 07 because there was such a difference between the white Diamond on the metal where it meets the fascia in particular the front bumper (looked tooo yellowish) lot more of a difference than the other colors. But it seems like the white on the 09 is much closer. What do you think now that you just waxed yours (white is my pick for an 09-10. Thanks again for sharing. Mike
  • Options
    ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    I'm NW New Jersey, and I would think my driving has more lites and stop/go than your area. The only 'non-light' roads I travel are major highways that enable me to go thru the urban sprawl, tho sometimes traffic hits me there as well.
    Yes, I use premium. If you look at the manual it states "premium fuel REQUIRED" unlike cars that state 'recommended". I used Premium in my Bimmer and it ran like a top, so I'm going to give this baby what it wants. I don't want to play with such a sophisicated engine.
    As for the color question, my dw and I had it down to white, black or dark gray when we went to make a deal. When she saw the black she hated the way the chrome contrasted, especially the strip along/above the side windows. Since white was by far #1 for us that is what we requested and they found exactly the car about 30 miles away. Since our Bimmer was silver, we didn't want the same color, but in person, I liked it very much, with the trim and paint complementing each other. That all being said, I would still pick the white. I like the creaminess as opposed to the 'silvery' white available on the Lexus ES350.
  • Options
    akadmonakadmon Member Posts: 4
    @dealhunter5

$34K excluded tax and registration.
  • Options
    Thanks again Chasboy for your time and information. So it sounds like if you do a typical week of "city driving" that you are still pulling 21.5 MPG? Even if the car computer isn't 100% accurate that seems to be good MPG with the big engine and the AWD. Did I follow you correctly I know we have bounced over a couple topics here and there. Oh also do you see much of a contrast after waxing with the white on the metal as it meets the white on the front bumper fascia? Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I wax the metal then wipe when dry follwed by the detail spray.
    The finish product looks nice and shiny.
  • Options
    Mike, when plastic bumpers came out a century ago, the paint match was a problem. Some cars really looked like crap, especially after a few years of sun exposure. Although my "Uncle Sid's Trained Eyes" can see differences, it's not worth worrying about. As Billy said, it looks great.
    As for the mpg, after a bunch of city like driving over the last week, it went down to 21.4. I trust that is going to be about my average...and I'm not an 'egg foot'. :)
  • Options
    shak525shak525 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone bought used cars from autolenders in NJ, I am looking to buy Acura, are they reliable ? and is the price mentioned on their website negotiable ?
  • Options
    Chasboy thanks I agree I really think the white looks sweet on this car and I think Acura did improve between 07 and 09 on the color match. I'm trying to get my hands on an 09 but not having a lot of luck (don't want one with more than the usual 10-20 miles) may have to get a 2010 and pay the extra (no $2,000 dealer incentive on the 2010's of course) but wish I didn't have to. U really helped me out on the MPG good to talk to someone who is driving one and paying attention to how it is doing! Hey may still pester you with another quesion or two down the road here hope you don't mind. Appreciate! Mike
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Mike, really don't mind reading your discussions on colors, wax use and mpg with Chasboy but this thread is for "prices paid and buying experience" info that people (including myself) specifically look here for. There is another thread covering the "2009 Acura TL" that may be better as others discuss various issues there in more detail. There is also a discussion thread specifically about "Acura TL real world mpg" you may want to check out.
  • Options
    Glad I could help you Mike. This has been a pretty active and informative thread for many people. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for your patience, sorry m6user. I'm still new to this blog (blogs in general) and didn't know or wasn't sure how to ask a question on an unrelated topic of someone yet switch to a different thread. Oh well I will get better at this. So Chasboy you helped me with the MPG & Color where do I go for an unrelated question when it comes up? Again not quite sure how to stay "in the right lane" :confuse:

Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    No problem. It took me awhile to get the hang of how these threads work. A lot of people have certain threads as "watched items" and expect to find info on the specific topic of the thread when it pops up in their watched item list. It's a little disaapointing to go there and find totally unrelated conversation especially when there are other threads where that conversation is not only more appropriate but that other people who are looking for that type of info would appreciate it.

I think if you're looking for general '09 TL conversation the "2009 Acua TL" thread would work or maybe the one about "Acura TL maintenance and repair" as well as the "Acura TL Real World MPG" thread. Good luck.
  • Options
    Mike, I'm afraid that I'm not a strict interpreter of what has to be mentioned on a particular thread. I belong to a forum in RV.net, where a number of us who have VERY similar motorhomes have maintained one thread since 2002, and it is 225 pages long. We have become friends, and the instances of "off topic" that caused any strife were as if we were talking about nuclear fission instead of motorhomes. I don't think that anything that you and I or anyone else has talked about on this thread strays so far that it should be objectionable to anyone. All threads go off on tangents at times, and I don't think we have strayed so far that it's worth discussing. AKAIC, ask away.
    (btw, I belong to that other Acura TL thread and haven't heard a thing in months.)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Yeah... but, still... ;)

Acura TL is the general discussion.

If you use the dropdown menu on the right-hand side of the page, you'll get a whole list of Acura TL discussions.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hi looking for the drop down menu for all TL discussions but don't see it. Help the blog impaired :) Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    Mike, if you go to the right and see "Browse by Vehicle". Select Acura from the "Select Make" drop down menu. Then select TL from the "Select Model" drop down menu. Hit go and you will go the page that lists all the discussions about the Acura TL on Edmunds by topic.

The reason they have different topic threads is so people can zero in on the info they are looking for rather than a jumble of similar consversations. Most people are courteous and once a conversation gets off topic they move to the specific topic they want to talk about. Others seem to think their own posts so interesting to everyone that, well, it's just all about them I guess.
  • Options
    Mike, once you go to that thread you will see no one has used it since May. I don't worry so much that a discussion goes off on a tangent, and since this one always came back to price discussions, I didn't think of moving to the other thread.

m6user, I know your second paragraph was aimed at me. I think it was unnecessary. The other thread has been inactive and this one has been lively. I have been 'victim' of many trolls in other discussion groups who are so regimented I'll bet they must ask permission of someone for their next breath. This is supposed to be friendly discourse. I may have been sarcastic in my last post, which was reflective of some of the foolishess I have seen on countless other forums, for that I'm sorry. I like helping people-36 years as an educator will do that to someone.
  • Options
    Chasboy, don't know what thread you are referring to that hasn't been active since May. The Edmunds threads I referred him to have all been very active and contain a lot of the information that he was seeking.

2009 Acura TL...last post 9/28.
    Acura Real World MPG....last post 9/28
    Acura Maint. and Repair....last post 9/27.

I have been 'victim' of many trolls in other discussion groups

There may be good reason for the above. I was merely trying to help someone that was admittedly new to these forums find more info and from more than one source by going to the discussions that may offer more variety of opinion. While at the same time attempting to keep the thread somewhat on topic. If that is what you call foolishness and offends you, which it obviously did, I'm sorry. I thought an educator was supposed to help someone find knowledge by using all sources available, not just one opinion.

Now back to the discussion of "Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences" or whatever you decide should be the topic.
  • Options
    When I clicked on it that was what came up. Now its more updated, I don't know why or what happened.
    I have no problem with directing someone to another thread. I resent a hard nosed approach. The host of the thread provided the information without judgemental remarks.
    I was trying to be conciliatory but you won't let up. An educator is not only "supposed to help someone find knowledge by using all sources available," but also to be flexible and if a topic does not 'follow the plan' but is benefitting the class, then a good teacher is able to help students gain the additional benefit that they see will be a result of the off topic discussion. Then they can steer the discussion back to the main topic. Many times this results in a lesson lasting longer than plan, but better informed students.
  • Options
    I was trying to be conciliatory but you won't let up

Boy if think calling someone a troll is being conciliatory than you should not only check your lesson plan but your dictionary as well.

When I clicked on it that was what came up. Now its more updated, I don't know why or what happened.

It never looked like that when I clicked on it. Somehow you made a mistake but were perfectly willing to make it sound like I was giving outdated info. I think this conversation has veered off topic enough so with that I will bid you happy trails.
  • Options
    There is a lot of misinterpretation here.
    The link that I clicked on was not your posting. In addition, after checking again, I realized that link took me to the middle of that thread. I neglected to look carefully when I got there the first time. My mistake. :blush:
    I never called you a troll. I was describing past experiences where certain forum members would come down unnecessarily on a user who slightly strayed from topic or made a mistake. It got me to the point that I do not worry if a thread goes off topic for awhile. The strife is not worth it.
    I don't think either of us conducted ourselves well here. I would like to apologize for wasting both our times. We had a nice relationship before, I see no reason to continue this angst. I don't think either of us need it. :sick:
  • Options
    Let's stick to Prices Paid..

The links are there, if you wish to use them..

This moderator is pretty firm about being on topic... all protestations to the contrary..

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    2001a62001a6 Member Posts: 8
    Just leased a 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech - purchase price 40,754
    Polished Metal Metallic
    Unfortunately automatic = wife can't drive stick otherwise would have been a manual

Thanks to everyone who contributes to forums
  • Options
    Congrats!! you will love it. the automatic is different than any other I've owned.
  • Options
    jagular2jagular2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Last weekend, I looked around and negotiated a deal at 33658 for 09 TL tech before all the fees which looks certainly below TMV here, but walked away and took my chances as inventories were running much higher than I thought they should. It's norcal. Is this a good deal?
    Can anyone confirm me that it's 2.9%(not 1.9%) for 60mts for northern california as all the dealers were equally confused as I was?
    Last Q, in terms of loan application, do you need all or part of the documents starting from marriage certificate, SS card, paycheck stub, employment verification, address verification etc?
  • Options
    I thought I saw 1.9 on the 2010's.
  • Options
    Guys sorry to have been the cause of such a disruption on the topic/thread thing. Since I haven't struck the right deal on an 09 or 10 I will insure anything I post, providing I don't make a mistake, will be price related in this thread. Thanks again in particular Thank You Chasboy for all your help! Mike

Sorry but one more off track question why do I sometimes get an e-mail alert for these updates and other times I don't? Host can you help me out?
  • Options
    Mike, I have the same problem. I was getting email notices from this thread and the other TL thread and then that one ended, hence my mistake in my statements to M6user.
  • Options
    michael1601999michael1601999 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new '09 TL Base from Pohanka Acura in VA (outside of DC). Paid 29,951 + 400 processing + 200 tax & tags = 30,551.
    Overall great buying experience, as they did everything to make us happy. Just thought I'd share if anyone lives in that area and wants to give it a shot. They had about 4 or 5 left as of this weekend.
  • Options
    dubgeezdubgeez Member Posts: 1
    does anyone a ballpark to start at for an 09 SH-AWD w/tech DEMO model? has 6K-7K miles on it. any tips or info will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    When you click on the Watch this discussion link at the bottom of the last post to track the discussion, the next page will have a box to check for e-mail alerts...

Or, you can select either of those options at the bottom of the Post a Message box, when you post in a discussion..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    smith83smith83 Member Posts: 60
    Hi everyone. I really appreciate all of the great information on this website!

It looks like this vehicle has $2,500.00 cash to dealer and 1.9% financing. I was considering leasing a 2010, but may be better deal to purchase an 09'. Can someone give me an idea of what to offer on a 2009 Tech?

Thanks!
  • Options
    vivalasvegasvivalasvegas Member Posts: 4
    Ok, here is one of the cleanest deals to analyze.
    Keep in mind that the deal was made on Sept. 8, a month ago when I believe there was $2000 cash to dealer.
    I highly recommend this dealer.
    I went through the Edmounds "Get a Quote" where you put in your zip. And one dealer was highlighted at the top as being a dealer that understood what Edmunds and TMV was all about and that if you contacted them they promised to give you their best price on the first quote.
    (Note that though from Vegas, there are only 2 not so motivated dealers so looked in SoCal.)
    Sent my info and they called the same day to verify color and package, looking at tech.
    Then, in the same call, not 5 minutes in I get a quote for $34,315. Being suspicious about all the doc fees and other misc. bs I quizzed him. He said he would get back to me.
    Was still suspicious so asked for a walk-out -the-door, writing a check total.

$34,315 '09 w/ tech
    $3,353.91 sales tax
    $8.75 tire/battery fee
    $55 Doc fee
    $20 (day pass needed to drive to NV to register car)
    $29 electronic filing fee DM charged for day pass

$37,781.66 TOTAL

From the land of $500-$700 Doc fees the $55 fee is amazing. We ended up picking the car up a few weeks later. The total was actually even a couple bucks cheaper! Even though our situation was a bit odd, driving from out of state, they were very accomodating.

The salesman Nadeem was great. Still can't believe I got a quote in 3 minutes!
    A little bit of pressure sale in the "finance office" although paid cash for car.
    Be prepared for warranty, upholstery protect (complete with demo), paint protect, lojack sales. The price dropped $500 in 5 minutes which is a real turn off. Finally told him that we had to be somewhere so we needed to wrap it up.
    Did not need any warranty as primary driver will not put a lot of miles on so the years would expire before the mileage.

I highly recommend Power Acura of South Bay (Torrance, CA) for an auto purchase. And Nadeem (internet sales) made the deal happen.

I would not recommend buying any accessories here as they were very high.

We were very fortunate to get a car with 2 accessories we desired and did not even know until we got home; "mud flaps" backsplash protecters and wheel locks!!! :) We were just going to purchase later as many on here have suggested.

S.O. hates, hates the game playing and sitting around in the dealership office so he thought for sure this was too good to be true and waited for the add-ons, but it never happened.

So Power Acura of South Bay and ask for Nadeem tell him you want his internet price or just go through the Edmunds site like I did.
    $34,315 acura w/ tech early Sept.

Woot.
    BTW got a Palladium with Ebony interior for anyone who has a new TL, I love the blue lights that light up the console/drink area at night. cool.
  • Options
    vivalasvegasvivalasvegas Member Posts: 4
    I would look at TMV. If you want the best deal start under that, but it seems that there are still people who want Acuras so there still may be competition, meaning dealers won't go much below TMV, depending on where you live.

Las Vegas NV dealers would hardly budge and scoffed at TMV pricing. CA got a best quote in 3 minutes.

Quoted $34,315 a month ago which was a few hundred under TMV.
  • Options
    I have been watching this Acura TL "prices paid" thread and the same Infiniti G37 thread. The Infiniti thread is way more active so either there is a lot more interest in the G right now or for some reason people looking for info about prices for the TL don't post on here. Don't know which. However, Acura was the only luxury car brand that had a significant falloff in sales in Sept compared to the other brands.

What does this mean? I think the new design(I like it just fine) is not as well liked and there is less demand for the car. And that means that if you're looking for a TL now might be a good time to really hit the dealers with some low offers. Just my two cents from following the numbers.
  • Options
    mlb11mlb11 Member Posts: 31
    I believe the lower sales in September was a supply problem. I recently leased a 2009 TL in Chicago and visited 4 acura dealers in the area. None of the 4 had more than 5 TLs on the lot and their total inventory for all models was less than 40. Normally these dealers had over 100 cars on their lots.

I also heard that acura stopped producing the 2009 TL in early spring and did not start shipping the 2010 TL in earnest until a week or so ago. My salesman said that they had quite a few people come in looking for a specific color choice and left since they had such low stock.

Acura either miscalculated or is limiting supply because of the economy and in order to keep resale values high.
  • Options
    "And that means that if you're looking for a TL now might be a good time to really hit the dealers with some low offers. Just my two cents from following the numbers"

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I was just looking at the sales numbers and I have to admit I was looking at them in a vacumn. If what you say is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, that may be the reason. When you look at Infiniti G37 sales in comparison it seems that Acura may have missed a lot of sales by having such low inventory. I still think you should be able to cut a decent deal in Oct/Nov timeframe as they have to feeling the pinch.
  • Options
    I agree - and remember the only data I have is for Chicago, but given that large of a market if 4 dealerships are this low, then I think it could be extrapolated to other regions as well.

In checking inventories last night, it seems that Acura is now delivering more cars. The dealership I purchased from now has about 40 total cars with about 12 TLs - most of them now 2010s.

I think dealers might also be aggressive with pricing as we go into fall since their sales have been squeezed by the lack of deliveries from the factory.
  • Options
    I agree with M6. Seems that most reports here were that of dealers having low inventory, but I see a lot of references to leftover 09's. Could be a great time to get an '09.
    Btw, my telephone experience lately with dealers with young female receptionists is that they do not understand what the word 'leftover' means, so be careful, have a definition handy!
  • Options
    10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    Rohrman Acura has the largest 09'TL inventory left in the Chicago area. Still working on a price for the 09' base. Keep you posted.
  • Options
    hewittphewittp Member Posts: 14
    I live in the midwest and I got a quote for a 2010 TL+Tech for 37.5K and TL-AWD+Tech for 41K. I thought the price is high. What should be my reasonable counter offer? Also, would you recommend 2010 TL+Tech vs. 2010 AWD (no tech) since the 2 are priced almost the same? (price is a factor). Thanks.
  • Options
    For us, traction, nicer seats and other 'amenities' overode (?) the desire for the technological terror of a GPS system. I think all that option has is wonderful, but since this is the most expensive car we have ever bought, (or ever thought we would buy, we couldn't justify the extra cost. Even some dealers said we would be fine with a Garmin, which is what we ended up with.
    The car is wonderful whatever you get.
  • Options
    I completely agree with Chasboy. We also ended up getting the base AWD TL. The AWD was the most important, plus the sport tuned suspension and performance and 18" tires were pluses as well. We came from an '07 RDX, so even this suspension felt plush.

The nav, stereo upgrade, and keyless are nice, but we couldn't justify the cost. Remember, in order to get real-time weather & traffic you'll also have to pay an additional monthly charge to XM.

The base AWD TL already has many upgrades from the base TL, so the additional $3k for the above 3 items didn't seem cost effective to me.
  • Options
    cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    One thing to remember is that these tech packages are one of the big "must haves" with consumers in the new and late model used car market. Tech is like AT was years back, that is, resale value is hurt w/o it. If you plan to keep this new TL for 7 to 10 years, then it won't make much difference. But, if you look to sell or trade this new TL in the first 5 years, then lack of Tech will significantly impact its value compared to other TLs with Tech and other competitors with similar tech packages.

OTOH, SHAWD has been getting mixed owner reviews here on Edmunds due to the stiffness of the ride. So SHAWD will have resale value to only a small segment of the market interested in performance or AWD no matter what.

Just something to think about.
  • Options
    Like cebteb, I've seen lots of 'must have' packages/options go down the road over the years. Some last, some die. (I'm so old I remember people without a/c in their cars purposely riding with their windows up in the summer so others would think they had it!).
    My BMW was a 325i with a stick shift, not awd. Since I had it for 8 years, the fact that it was not an automatic did not affect its saleability. Condition, service and mileage meant more to prospective buyers.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with this - if you look at the residuals for leases, the cars with tech packages always have a lower residual than the base models. This is Acura's own research bearing out that the tech package vehicles lose value faster than those without it.

In addition, the all-weather performance abilities of the AWD will certainly command a higher value than the FWD base models here in Chicago.

I had leased my '07 RDX and when I decided to turn it in 6 months early, I ended up selling it to CarMax who paid it off plus gave me $700. This car was one of the stiffest riding vehicles I've ever owned and it was a base model, but resale value of all Acuras is amazing. The TL will be no different.
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    I am looking at a 10 TL Manual transmission. What's the deal with the colors? There are only 4 exterior colors to choose from, white, black, gray, and a reddish brown. Are they serious? :confuse:

I put off getting a car for a year because I wanted the new TL in manual transmission. But if those are the colors, I will not be buying an Acura. :mad:
  • Options
    I have the white and love it. If the grey you mention is the lightest 'silver', it looks real good in person...clean of course. :)
  • Options
    I have the AWD Tech and I have to say that I cannot live without the gizmos.
    Backup camera (awesome)
    Hard Disk Drive (super awesome)
    IPOD hook up (out of this world awesome)
    Real time traffic and weather (wicked) but I will not renew after the 3 months trial.
    Navigation (my kids favorite)
    Voice Command (another of my kid's favorite)

I love this car.