Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban stalls

burger7burger7 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Chevrolet
I have a 2003 suburban that stalls while driving, mostly during the afternoons when it is about 95° out.  
Have looked at quite a few forums and have already replaced numerous parts

Replaced spark plugs
Air filter
Camshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Fuel filter 

Drives fine in morning and late evening hours, but during the day it will lose power, and stall.  When gas pedal is depressed seems to backfire and stutter.  When it finally dies after about 5 minutes it will restart, but usually dies 10 minutes later.  At a loss for what else it could be any help is greatly appreciated!

Answers

• 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! welcome to Edmunds. That is the darnedest thing I have ever heard of, so I sat and thought about it for a while. You say it only does it when it's hot out. I can only think of two things that are effected by high outdoor temperature as far as an engine is concerned, and they are; the running temp of the engine, hence the coolant temperature and the pressure in the fuel system, the hotter gasoline becomes the more vapour it creates causing higher pressure in the system. I don't know if this could lead down the right road or not, but I think I would check the engine temp sending unit for proper return output and maybe pressure check the fuel system and gas cap on a hot day, especially any vapour capturing or re-circulating system. Good luck!
  • fronzig1969fronzig1969 Member Posts: 2
    I have same issues.  Currently sitting on side of freeway.  No lights or abnormal readings on gauges.
  • fronzig1969fronzig1969 Member Posts: 2
    2004 5.7 vortex z71 flex fuel,  Mexico built.  I bought used,  has phantom shut downs,  typically restarts after engine returns to cooled down temps,  I'm in AZ.  And getting pretty tired of this truck
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Problems like this need a professional scan tool to capture real-time data and see what's going on. Guessing like this is expensive and frustrating, so if you are like me and don't have this tool, then take it to a pro and let them diagnose it more precisely. If you're stalling, something is dropping out--either spark or fuel.

Every stalling event is different. There's no one cause you can "find" just by asking. It could be caused by many things.

If you have some basic diagnostic tools like a spark tester and a fuel pressure gauge, when the truck stalls, and if it won't start right up again, you could check to see if you have lost spark or pressure.

If it is stalling and starts right up again, this could be electronic or an air/fuel mixture problem .
  • C2r0y0s4talC2r0y0s4tal Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2019
    I also have a 2004 Chevy Suburban 2500 4 by 4 and I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle it stalls for no reason I drove it for 5 hours the day before it had great power no noises just replace the oil pump had the instrument cluster done which I don't think it was done properly but I'm not sure I think it has something to do with the fuel because all of a sudden it just died at the stop sign and it wouldn't start right back up it wouldn't start until about maybe 5 minutes later and then it died again five minutes down the road but the day before it was driving perfectly fine any suggestions I just want to love this truck it won't let me lol. I had to have it towed home from the tire shop and I just don't understand why one day it ran perfectly fine and the next day it ran like it was misfiring when it would stay started I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it started and it was really rough and soon as you put it in gear it would die any ideas would be greatly appreciated I've put so much money into this truck I just want to be able to drive it reliably..Please Help
    Thank You in advance.