Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    bayouswimbayouswim Member Posts: 1
    i had that problem along with door opening, slider squeeking, roof leaking, etc, etc, etc. Nissan replaced the fuel gauge and that problem went away. the roof leaking was due to a "kink in the hose" in the sky roof and was replaced twice. the squeaking doors have been "fixed" 5 times and need to be fixed again. good luck
  • Options
    dkiwondkiwon Member Posts: 15
    i just had the csi done along with 3 other tsb's...go figure, the squeaking and rattling which was supposed to be fixed by the csi has only gotten worse on the passenger-side sliding door after having the csi done....this is really annoying because before i brought the van in, i guess the body of the van had settled in and the creaking and squeaking seemed to have mostly gone away. but now i'm hearing more noises, louder noises than ever before....i'm almost ready to trade this thing in - but i still love the van...what's wrong with me???
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    take it back and have them do it again. It took my dealer 2 tries (before the csi) to fix the squeaks but they eventually did. Either that or try another dealer, they might do better.

I don't know if I'm a small minority but other than these little squeaks (which are now gone) I have had no problems with this van, but I am wary. At least with a 5yr warranty I'm covered.

It must be a love/hate relationship, huh? ;-)

tom
  • Options
    pavansutpavansut Member Posts: 1
    I bought the minivan hardly two weeks ago, and last night after grocery shopping the van won't start. The NVIS system has suddenly immobilized the car. For no rhyme or reason!

Had to get a neighbor to come and pick us up. The dealership is not open on the weekend, and the car is sitting in the parking lot. Has any one else had a problem with 2005 Quests NVIS system?
  • Options
    jeoffjeoff Member Posts: 3
    my power door on my 2004SL makes a little sound (like a stretch) when I brake moderately hard, or when I make a sharp turn, or go over some bumps. is this worth having the dealer try to fix,or are they just as likely to make things worse. btw, this van was built after the changes were introduced to fix the various quality problems. also, i noticed that the non-power door does not close as flush as you would expect.
  • Options
    dkiwondkiwon Member Posts: 15
    hi tom:

i was going to bring it back in - trust me...i wanted to go back there at 10pm on fri (and trade the van in right there because the squeaks were so grating on my psyche), but i am so tired of having to bring the van into the dealership (part of that love/hate relationship)...so i decided to try out the wd-40 solution...sprayed on the latches and strikers and worked like a charm.

now i'm back to loving my van again :) -- ahh so quiet. i guess to me spraying a little wd-40 - while not elegant - solve the immediate problem and saves me the headache of taking the van to the dealer.

really a great van...i just wish they had paid just a little more attention to detail...~18,000 miles and counting
  • Options
    lkerleylkerley Member Posts: 2
    I am so glad I found this site! I have never been so frustrated in my life! I purchased my Quest 8/2/04. I have had lights & vents fall out of the ceiling, door panels come lose, the gear shift break, before it was recalled, windows not work intermittently. The radio has been replaced twice. The first time it was because of the AM stations being static when I went over a bump and they later found out that it was the feeder cable. One year later, I'm having the same problem again. My BIGGEST complaint is the AC. When I turn it on after it has sat in the sun for four or five hours, the engine makes a very loud noise and it shakes. While the car was in for nine recalls, the dealer, of course could not duplicate. I got it on video and I brought the service manager to my home. He witnessed it. A field engineer told a rep, no one will give out names or phone numbers, that it is a design flaw. This engineer said it is due to the incline of my driveway and that they can not redesign the engine for me. They have also said that this is a "common" occurrence and characteristic of this vehicle. I am supposed to go to arbitration a couple of weeks, but I am wondering if I should hire an attorney. I am so fed up with Nissan that I want them to repay me for all the hours I have spent running back and forth the dealer and the stress it has caused me. The Consumer Affairs people will not release my file to me. They told me it is internal information and not open to the public. They people will not cooperate and will not give me in writing why they will not attempt to fix my AC.
  • Options
    lkerleylkerley Member Posts: 2
    I just found this website and I am would be very, very happy to sign a class action law suit.

lkerley64@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Dan,

I know exactly how you feel abou this van. When things are going well, it's very nice. When it's squeaking, I start thinking Honda or Toyota!

I've tried the WD-40. It's a temporary fix, though. I just give my dealer a list of things to do with every oil change. They've been very friendly and helpful. If they weren't than this would be a nightmare!

I think we have gotten off lucky compared to other people with this van. I have about 15K miles and no major problems. (fingers crossed!)

tom
  • Options
    fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2004 Quest SL with the Skyroof package.I think this is the best looking and handling minivan I have ever driven. I just added the SE fog lights to it and it looks great.Just a real nice van. All I can say to those of you who are considering the Quest, everything has it's problems. I worked at a Dodge store and I thought Caravans were a piece of crap with AC,trans,brake problems. There are always going to be a few out there that are just lemons.

Now the question I have is, does anyone else notice the air that comes throught the center vents when its about 65-70 degrees out and the ac is off, the air feels like it's about 80 degress coming out with the temp knob set all the way to cold? Does anybody know a Nissan tech that might know if the blend door can be calibrated or could the acuator be not working correctly?? It seems like the door does not close off the hot air all the time. Feed back would be good.
  • Options
    bronco31bronco31 Member Posts: 6
    Did you try using Recir button? I also have a '04 SL, I love it and have 13000 miles with only very minor things. If I may ask what did the fog lights set you back? And did you install or the dealer?
  • Options
    eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    You will find the answer to your question if you go back to post #634 on this dicussion board. This topic was hot topic back in June.
  • Options
    fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    Hi Bronco31,

I have tried using the recirc button and that does not help. The air is hot coming out of the center vents and it doesn't seem like anything I do except turn on the ac helps. As far as the fog lights go, I purchased the OE Fogs from Nissan, they fit perfectly, and went to Advanced autoparts and purchased a fog light install kit, it had relay,wiring,wire ties,switch etc, and installed it my self. All together set me back about $250.00 but well worth it. And I can turn them on when just the parking lights are on so it looks really sporty, I also have the front end mask, I only use the hood part, and it really makes the van look like a sports wagon. If you need more info on the fog lights let me know.

Another thing, for all those reading these post about the hot air coming throught the vents, we need to all pull together and complain to Nissan so that they can work on a fix. I don't think we should just accept their replys and learn to live with this defect. We pay good money for these vans .
  • Options
    jennifertjennifert Member Posts: 4
    We bought our Quest S 2/27/2004. Our problems began within 2 weeks of purchase and the dealer (Southern States Nissan in Raleigh, NC) provides the worst sales experience and customer service I have ever received in my life. We have all the usual problems everyone else does squeaking doors, no reception on radio, all the recall parts, clicking sounds in glove box and electrical burning smell. But we have some major ones! Our entire transmission was replaced at 7000 miles (only because we went to arbitration for the lemon law) and we were required to give Nissan Tech in CA one more chance and they decided that the clunking noise was the transmission so they replaced it. It has been in two more times for the transmission, it sprung a leak and lost all its fluid and then the modulator had to be replaced the next month. Now we are blowing blue smoke from the exhaust and burning 1 qt of oil every two weeks and the rack and pinion went out. Nissan says they will replace the rack and pinion and replace only the PCV system even though other parts affected (EGR valve, catalytic converter, spark plugs and exhaust from so much oil running through engine). Dealer states they will not replace other parts until they actually fail. Vehicle now sits in my driveway not drivable because the rack and pinion finally exploded on my way home from work. Dealer stated "it was safe to drive" until parts are received. We filed a lawsuit against Nissan and are waiting to hear back. I shall never own a Nissan as long as I live!
  • Options
    Read post #781. Samuelg took Nissan to court on this issue and lost. If you turn on recir button , with the system off, it will stop all air flow into the fan.
  • Options
    ord62ord62 Member Posts: 26

A class action suit is probably a good idea.

I'd like to put my name also if somebody will do it.
  • Options
    ord62ord62 Member Posts: 26
    I will be going to arbitation on Feb 28 and would like to compile repair copies of people who ever encountered the same problems as my 2004 Quest. skesell@aol.com post indicated the Nissan Reps argued that this forum won't be useful without Owner and VIN numbers. Email me at odario@yahoo.com.

The problems I've had so far are:

- Driver side power window

- Service Engine Soon lit up, Diag indicated Evaporation leak.

- Steering problems (caused by fluid leaks)

- Both sliding doors makes big noise when opened all the way.

- Rear Ceiling vents don't blow warm air as for heater.

- Vents located on floor behind first row seat can't be controlled by rear vent controls.

- Vehicle air-bag (SRS) light lit and blinking.

- Interior Dome lights don't work. Second time only the thirs row seat lights.

- Left side door rattles

- Flat tire indicator lights up during cold weather when it turn warm the tires are over inflated.

I'll fax or email scanned documents to others who want my copies.
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Maybe this should be moved from the problems board to the general Quest board, but I couldn't mind any messages from you over there. Anyway I'm very interested in your fog lights. The only thing I hate about my Quest is those big holes where fog lights should be. Tell me, how are they operated? Does the on/off switch match with the other controls, maybe take up one of those "blank" spots down there by the traction control button? Or did you have to drill holes and install some non-matching button or something? If it looks like it's supposed to be there, I'd love to get some.

Also, with the nose mask, I read that those can mess up your paint if water gets underneath them. But this van seems particularly vulnerable to dings and scratches up front, I guess it's due to the big flat styling, and on my light silver van every little thing shows up. Do you have to remove your mask to clean frequently?
  • Options
    newyorkernewyorker Member Posts: 1
    We were considering the Quest but after reading your message I'm darn glad we bough an Odyssey. We loved the skylights and designs but even my 8 year old noticed the transmission was noisy during the test drive. Research pays.
  • Options
    You might consider a 'clear bra' like the rockblocker. It would protect the front of your car like a fabric bra but would be fine in the rain.

I looked in to getting fog lights installed by the dealer, but it was so expensive I passed. ;-)

tom
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We were considering the Quest but after reading your message I'm darn glad we bough an Odyssey. We loved the skylights and designs but even my 8 year old noticed the transmission was noisy during the test drive. Research pays.

It paid for me as well. I bought the roomy, great handling (and so far perfect in build quality) 2005 Quest. I got a great deal while all the Lemmings were elsewhere.
  • Options
    jennifertjennifert Member Posts: 4
    Your Welcome! We also are considering the 2005 Odyssey or 2005 Pilot. Honda all the way for me after we settle this lemon law case.
  • Options
    bronco31bronco31 Member Posts: 6
    As a former owner of two Odysseys 1999 & 2002, proceed with caution. On both, transmissions went out with only 40K miles. Personally, I will never own another. But if you must I would purchase the extended warranty because those trannys run $4000.00 ea.
  • Options
    I got a clear bra for my silver Quest. Had it put on by a detail shop for $500.00. My dealer service department now installs them. The price, however, was a couple hundred dollars higher. It covers half the hood, the whole front bumper and the side mirrors. You can hardly tell it is there. You wash it and wax it just like it is paint. It comes off easily if you want it removed and does not fad or damage the paint. Best of all, no paint chips.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Any information on how the 05 Quest is doing compared to the 04 in terms of reliability and having the bugs worked out? Nissan has been working on these quality control and other issues for awhile.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    We have an 05 SE after looking at Honda and Toyota and owning a Caravan. 2,600 miles on it, used as a company car. It's been great. Even the minivan haters like driving it. Great roadholding and excellent acceleration and mileage.

So, we're only one datapoint but I'd buy the same vehicle if I had it to do over.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'm glad you chimed in with your message. I don't think everyone realizes that every manufacture of minivans has had an issue with their transmissions even Toyota and Honda. It took Honda over a year to finally admit their transmission problem and service managers are still not up front with folks who are coming in with problems. Honda has extended the powertrain warranty to 100k. Not everyone knows about it.

I have 2004 Quest S that after the Customer service Initiative has been fine. Some very minor rattles but nothing out of the ordinary. My only complaint is the touchy accelerator. it reminds me of my Chevy Malibu. It acted the same way until thoroughly warmed up. No big deal just a stark contrast to my Olds Intrigue which I have to apply much more pressure to get it going.

I really hope you guys aren't thinking class action suit. For the items you are talking about fixing, it is not worth it. Only the lawyers win in these cases.
  • Options
    scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    You will change your tune when and if YOU have numerous problems with your NEW CAR.
  • Options
    gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I'm sorry to hear of the folks having major problems. MY Quest (over 1 year old, 11,000 miles) had several annoying issues that I think are related to the first year build (leaky sky roof, doors not latching in cold). However, I still think it worth it for the features, performance and styling. As an engineer, I know that some products do have more issues that expected. However, to all the potential buyers, I suggest you check out the Quest for itself. Also be aware of the issues that Honda and Toyota have had with their first year vehicles. Lemons are everywhere.

After our SE purchase in December 2003, both my brother-in-laws bought one (an S, and SL). Among the 3 vans, NO major issues yet.
  • Options
    plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I had the same issues as gg2k2se, which resulted in coming to an "arrangement" with Nissan. We had the rattles, door, radio problems, etc. on an SL. We have 13 months and 14,000 miles. Overall I am happy with this car. Since the CSI was done last summer the car has been humming (as opposed to rattling:-) ).

If given the choice I would get this car again. It has been reliable and the amount of interior space is tremendous. This is my third 'first year car' so I knew what I was getting into.
  • Options
    You will change your tune when and if YOU have numerous problems with your NEW CAR.

If you look here and on the Honda Accord thread it looks like rattles and transmission failures are the norm for these two vehicles.

I have an 05 Quest and 05 Accord and they both have been fine. Even the best manufacturers have 60-100 problems reported per 100 cars in the first few months of ownership. I don't expect them to be perfect.
  • Options
    Let's see, I've had the rotors replaced, rattles, seat lever fell off, non acceleration of vehicle at start-up, air conditioner blowing warm air....I think that is it.

The difference is I had a good service department and you don't. What will you gain by doing class action lawsuit?

Like I said, go voer to the Odyssey and Sienna boards then come and tell me that the Quest is such a horrible vehicle. Even with all the problems (although none recently), we love the van. Teh only thing I wish it had was split folding rear seat, roof rack (S model)and door lock button in the rear behind the seats.

It still handles and acclerates nicely. I love the openness of the van and I still enjoy the uniqueness of the center console. Very few people have this van in my area and I like that.

Sorry you are having so much trouble but I still say a class action lawsuit for items you are describing is not the way to go.
  • Options
    hambyhamby Member Posts: 17
    In the year I have had my vehicle, three of the four tire valves have been replaced on my van. You will receive a message that you have a flat tire when the valve goes bad. Funny thing is, they always seem to go bad when in cold weather. Just waiting for the fourth to go bad.
  • Options
    I am new here at the forum. Can someone help me with the issues of the radio not working intermitently. What was done to fix this problem? Thank you,
  • Options
    Are you saying the valve stems have gone bad on the tires? I've heard of that happening but not 3 on the same vehicle. Souns like oyu got a bad set of tires.
  • Options
    Nissna has a fix for this (replace with new radio) see early psost from around March of 2004
  • Options
    Plashenick is right. Their is a TSB out on the silent radio issue. The solution is that they replace the radio. The problem I have had was the dealer could never verify the problem because you never know when it is going to happen. Since they couldn't duplicate it,the problem, they wouldn't do anything about it. I have been dealing with this for ten months. Well, three weeks ago, after I dropped my daughter off at preschool, I turned the car on, turned on the radio and NO SOUND. I drove right to the dealer and showed them the problem. I made sure not to turn off the car. They have now replaced the radio.

I am experiencing the same thing with the transmission issue. A TSB was issued on the problem in December. I thought, great, Nissan has finally figured out how to fix it. Well, my service department won't fix it because they can't verify the problem by duplicating it. As with the radio, you never know when it is going to happen. It hasn't happened for two months. FRUSTRATING.

Despite these issues I love my Quest.
  • Options
    Has the replacement radio solved the silent radio issue for you?
  • Options
    I see most of your problem is the service dpartment and not the van. Call the Regional manager for Nissan to get the transmission fixed. It's a known problem. IF I remember right, you have complained about this before. Check if it is recorded on an old receipt. If so there is your proof. I had my service dpartment document the incident on my receipt. I'll get the transmission done the next time I get it serviced.
  • Options
    I had mine replace Feb '04, with the same model - resulted in same problems. I escalated to Nissan Corp. Brought the car in again and sent a letter - recommended by NJ Attorney Gen'l office, giving Nissan 10 days to correct the problem.

Clariion (S and SL models only are affected) has put together a new radio for the Quest, referred to as the Counter Measure radio. I had this installed Mar / Apr '04 and have not had one problem since then. I am told I was one of the first to get this unit (squeky wheel).

I did make sure to drive my car to the dealer and show them when it was out, but service never did doubt me. The key is to have a dept. that trusts it's customers.

I also came to other 'arrangements' with Nissan this past January regarding long-running and multiple minor issues. I am satisfied, which is what my lawyer says is all I can say.

I still have the van (15K in 13 months) and plan on keeping it a long time
  • Options
    Care to be more specific on the other "arrangements". Kind of rude to throw that out there and not explain.
  • Options
    samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone experienced some shaking or high speed vibration at the steering wheel? I'm not talking about warped rotors- we're talking strictly about highway driving, 70ish MPH, the steering wheel shakes a bit. No shaking occurs at lower speeds, or at least not very much. I've had some cars that are rock solid at any speed- that's kinda what I expect.

I have around 7900 miles on my 2004 SL Quest. I had the wheels balanced by the dealer several thousand miles ago, with no appreciable improvement. I just had them balanced again (and rotated) today, with no improvement. I think the van was like this from the start...

No symptoms of rotor warping- this is strictly highway driving with my foot on the gas...

Could there be something else out of balance in the front end that might be causing this? I'd appreciate any suggestions that I could mention/recommend to the dealer.

Thanks.

SamG

Thanks.
  • Options
    quest04quest04 Member Posts: 1
    Yes. I did experience vibration on my 04 Quest (6000 miles). The dealer replaced the front roters to fix the problem. Balance should not be an issue since the vibration shows up at high speed only. In general and after driving it for over a year, it is pretty stable Van.
    >>>>>>
    Anyone can help me find parts? Recently I damaged one of the Reverse Sonar System Sensors. my mistake was, I turned the sonar "OFF". I will never do that again. The bumper was unharmed, however the middle sensor was broken. I could not find this particular part online. I hope someone out there can help me find a good source other than the stealership (I meant dealership)
    =)

Thanks

MR.
  • Options
    MR,

I will contact the dealer and ask them to replace the rotors. I appreciate your quick response!!!

Thanks.

SamG
  • Options
    Per the terms of the Lemon-Law Case I brought against NIssan I cannot be more specific. I won, I still own the car, The problems hve all been resolved and compensation for my "issues" has been received.
  • Options
    warren2warren2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of enrolling in the BBB Auto Line program to have Nissan North America buy back my 2004 Quest.Is this the best route to go?
  • Options
    warren2warren2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problems I will sign.
  • Options
    Thank you for taking the time to pursue the silent radio problem through legal means. It may have been a significant factor in getting this issue resloved for all of us Quest S & Sl owners. I now have a new radio.

Thanks.
  • Options
    MR,

My local dealer had the van since yesterday. They agree that there is a vibration problem. But they were adamant that it can't be rotors.

Instead, they are focusing on the tires, which have previously been balanced three times, and did not fix the problem. By the end of the day, they wanted me to pay $90 for a dynamic "loaded" balancing of the wheels, but graciously agreed to do it at no charge, as a customer sat issue. They will try that tomorrow...

Would it be possible for you to provide the date of your service, your dealer & service contact/phone # so that I could have "my dealer contact your dealer?" They were dead set against it possibly being unbalanced rotors, saying instead that your problem had to be warped rotors. I was unable to convince them.
    Thanks.

SamG
  • Options
    I have not heard great things (see the history of this in earlier postings. I followed the recommendadtion of my state's Atty Genl office as well as secured a lawyer thatonlygets paid (more then I get) if I get paid.

If you have a solid case they will pursue,hence if it is a lost cuase you will know right away.
This discussion has been closed.