Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• amurray22amurray22 Member Posts: 1
    Have gotten good info from the fourm & wanted to give back. Here are the details of my recent purchase - 5/1/11

2011 Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium
    All weather package
    Moonroof
    Auto-dim mirror (dealer install)
    Remote start (dealer install)
    $24500, $25600 w/tax, registration and destination fees
    Village Subaru - Acton MA

Thanks
    Andy
  • longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    Nice purchase, Andy! Good luck with your new Legacy. I like the Premium level, but would prefer leather upholstery. Yesterday, I did a double take at my dealer when I saw an Outback Premium with leather. It turns out the dealer installed Katzkin (a good brand of aftermarket leather upholstery) covers and added $1,499 to the cost of the car. While that's not cheap, I was really impressed with the fit and finish of the leather. It seems to be slightly superior to the factory leather seats and posters on the Legacy forum say they wear like iron. I have no connection to Katzkin, but was impressed enough to pass on the information here. At least there's now an option for leather without having to upgrade to the Limited.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, Andy. CVT or manual?
  • robert178robert178 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2011 Legacy last night with optional winter package. Car is pzev, has auto-dimming mirror, homelink, body-side moldings, splash guards - a nice overall package. Used Overstock.com to negotiate the base price down to $19,500, added the winter package for $500, dealer handling, taxes and fees and walked out the door for 23,000 on the dot. This price included a trade in of my old, beat up 1995 volvo 850 with unknown miles (odometer stuck on 127,000 for the last 5 years). All in all I feel good about the deal. But you know how it is, you always think you could have done better!
    Congrats.

The dealer will auction off that Volvo and will be lucky to get $500 for it, is my guess.
  • robert178robert178 Member Posts: 2
    I think you're right!
  • IagoIago Member Posts: 6
    Hello carman!

Can I get the June numbers (residual and mf) for the 2.5i Premium AWP, 12k miles/year for 36 months?

Thanks.
  • kmarkell1kmarkell1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Subaru Legacy Premium with AWP in Dark Grey for $3,330 off of the MSRP which was $23,995 which made it $20,665 before all the paperwork fees. It had 6 miles on it. It was a deal they were running but at least you know how low you can go!
    Congrats. AWP is nice...
  • aryan356aryan356 Member Posts: 5
    From which dealership did you buy the Subaru Legacy 2.5i premium auto with the awp?
  • phatsprintphatsprint Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking at a 2011 legacy limted with moon. What have some of you got for a price here? thanks!
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2011
    Last week, I was offer $26,645 before TTL for a 2011 Legacy Limited. That included sunroof, all weather matts, trunk tray, splash guards, and mirror/compass/homelink. I politely declined because another dealership through Truecar was approx $1,000 less. This was in NE Ohio. Best of luck...
  • trailrunztrailrunz Member Posts: 8
    I just pre-ordered a 2012 Legacy through a dealership that offered to sell it to me at invoice. I got a 2.5i limited with power moon, body side panels, spoiler, auto-dim mirror w/ homelink, & all weather mats. The dealer doesn't know exactly how much the prices for the 2012 will go up (he guessed $200-300 tops, if at all) but the dealer invoice quote was $25,700 (before TTL) on a 2011. I dont know if they will do this deal again - they said they would run it through because I will have to drive out of town to pick it up. Hoping to get the car within 60 days - has anyone else out there heard when the 2012's will find their way to the showroom?
    My dealer told me they expect the 2012 Legacy/Outback to arrive the end of October, early November.
    Picked up my 2012 Legacy on Saturday morning. The car looks great - new for 2012 is a 4.3'' lcd display for the radio, hd radio, & a new steering wheel design. So far, I'm pleased!

Final on the road price for my 2.5i Limited w/ power moon roof, body side moldings, spoiler, mudguards, & all weather mats was $28,023.
  • legacy8legacy8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Could you please let me know where did u order 2012 legacy limtied? I checked with most of the dealers and none of them are willing to the the prices mentioned in this forum. Least quote I got for limited is 29 K

Thanks for your help.

Raghu J
  • ttahirttahir Member Posts: 1
    Anyone recently purchased Legacy 2011 2.5i premium in NJ area. Any recommendations on dealer name
    I purchased from a Subaru dealership in Kalamazoo, MI. I think they were willing to sell at invoice because I was preordering a '12 that was not yet in production. Never hurts to ask though.
  • anwellanwell Member Posts: 1
    I did not purchase a 2.5i premium. But I purchased 2.5 limited with moon, all weather mat, spoiler, remote starter and I had dealership strip the woodtrim and replace them with silver one. Also a auto dimming mirror. I got out of door for 26,500. I got it from somerset subaru in nj.
    Congrats. :shades:
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    I did not get the 2.5i, but did lease a 3.6R Limited last month. This was the 2nd car I got from World Subaru in Tinton Falls/Shrewsbury in the past 3 months. Found out about them through TrueCar.com. Very good pricing and very easy to deal with.
    I leased a legacy 2.5i premium pzev, auto with the AWP. The selling price was $21,400
    The lease was $262 per mth plus tax and $260 at lease signing that took care of all registration, doc, plates etc.
  • makarkamakarka Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited w/Power Moonroof
    Options on the car include:
    All Weather Floor Mats
    Alloy Wheel Lock Kit
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass & HomeLink
    Power Moonroof

With MSRP of $27,406 I am being offered $25,193.

Is that a good price? How much more can I expect to knock off?
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I purchased a 2010 Legacy Premium 2.5i, with AWP as a CPO in February 2011 for $19,500 with 7,400 miles on the clock, - got $12,000 for 08 Mazda 3 s with 35k miles Trade in , 2.9% Financing for 60 months , Road Side Assistance from Subaru, 6 year (from date in service ) or 100K Powertrain warranty and enjoy the Bumper to Bumper warranty until 36k miles (now at 20K) or 1/2013... Couldn't be happier with the car (My 25 year son uses for commuting to Queens in NYC from Westchester). The Car was delivered Like Brand New.

I added: Media Hub, Fog Lights, Puddle Lights{very cool} , 19mm rear Sway bar ( very advis
    able addition) , interior Illumination package, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/compass and Homelink for $1490 Installed. Bought the car from a Westchester Dealer - but Grand Prix Subaru in Hicksville made a great deal for the Accessories and are very pleasant to deal with. I now service the car there - every second oil / filter Change is FREE, 10 % Off on Fridays !!
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    There's probably some, but not a lot more in that deal makarka. I bought a 2010 a couple of months after they came out and paid within a couple of hundred of where you are ($25,300 IIRC). I also had bluetooth/ipod (data center?) wheel well protectors (mudflaps) and PZEV, cargo nets and both wind deflectors.

When I was negotiating I had the invoice and MSRP of the options I wanted and played with those to get the price down. I figured I wouldn't add the data center myself but the other stuff I was capable of doing. When they got down to it I just let the dealer install it all. I have the lucky situation of being in Colorado so there are 4 dealers within 15 miles of my home plus another 4 or 5 in Denver.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

easypar
  • skomanskoman Member Posts: 24
    I am also using TrueCar and Costco buying programs, but I have always found that negotiating on my own provided the best deal. Can you advise what dealer in NE Ohio you bought from?

Seems very quiet on this board, thus maybe demand is down due to economy or is everyone waiting on the 2012 models?

I will do a 2011 or 2102 whichever has the best deal.
    Can you tell us more about the new steering wheel design. I have a 2010 and I am thinking of buying a 2011 or 2012. Thanks in advance....
    I suggest you wait for the 2012, you may find the 2011 a bit sluggish if you are looking at the 2.5i automatic versions.
  • ktmotoxktmotox Member Posts: 5
    Greetings. I've noticed that the 2012 Legacy information is now on Subaru's website. When looking at the engine specifications in the "compare models" tab, it lists the 2.5L engine as SOHC. Doesn't the 2012 Legacy have the new DOHC FB25 engine like the Forrester? Does it have direct-injection? Does it have dual iActive Valve Control System?
    I ran into my salesman on the golf course about a month ago and asked him about the '12s. He said there wasn't anything major different. Probably be more likely for the '13s as most manfacturers operate on a 3 year refresh/update cycle.

easypar
    I was wondering what is the lowest amount known paid under invoice to any dealer on a Legacy Limited. I paid about $600 under invoice a couple years ago, but after I signed a deal I had another dealer offer to sell me the same car for $900 under invoice which made me feel I left $300 on the table. I told them they had their chance and they were too late but what is the best price ( in % or $ ) anyone has ever seen on a Legacy? Thanks
  • peggyhpeggyh Member Posts: 8
    How much did you put down....you must have put down something. Where did you get it?
    Hi,

I did not put any money down all I paid was, these are approx numbers for precise see my prev post.

1) $270 for registration/Doc/ etc
    2) $270 1st month payment

Also there were be a $300 lease turn in fee at the end which I am told will be waived in case i get another subaru

I bought the car from Balise Subaru in Rhode Island
    I haven't purchased yet (life took over). I am working with Brunswick Subaru, they seem to have the largest selection on site. But at the end of the day, whoever gives me the best deal will get my money.

I am still learning what's new for the '12s, so I'm sure I'll be at the dealer again soon once I figure out what price I am comfortable with.
    Went to a dealer today who offered a fair price, but not a good price on a 2012 ordered from the factory. I am going to move out of my local dealers and expand to those within 2 hour drive and see if I can get the price I am looking for on something in stock. Since I travel most of the midwest, I plan to start shopping in every city I visit until someone bites. I am not in a hurry and like you the best price will win. St Louis here I come.
    You very well may have better luck outside your local dealers. I just checked Truecar to get an idea of pricing. As it turns out, a couple of dealers about 2 hours away have a price approx $600 cheaper than my local dealer. Personally, I'm ok driving 2 hours to save that kind of money.
    As an alternative, I guess I could bring that lower price to my local dealer and give them the option to match. I can be very persuasive when the situation requires ;)
  • pablolopezpablolopez Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am negotiating 2012 Subaru Legacy with dealers and I have price $25900 for car with MSRP $28200. How much lower can they go? thanks
    Where do you live and are you working with multiple dealers or just one? It all depends on your local market but if you negotiate well and lots of available cars are in your market you could probably get another $300-$500 off.
    edited October 2011
    I am in CT on the border with NY, and close to NJ. I deal with few dealers at once. I looked in dealers inventory and there is not many LTD's with color and options I want. On truecar.com i found that dealers in NJ offers it even $600 lower than I am at the moment, but they have no similar vehicle in inventory. :/
    I am signing a deal tomorrow. Once I have a signed deal, I will give you my numbers which will give you a better idea of the best possible number. Until then hang tight. Post again if I forget to put them up tomorrow night by 9pm.
    Also dealers can sometimes pull a magic trick as I think my dealer is going to do for me. I searched, as you probably did, a 200mi radius and could not find the car I wanted but a local dealer was able to work some magic and get what I wanted here in 2 weeks. More tomorrow.
    I've read some posts on this thread about how the dealers in New England (not sure how extensive geographically) are all routed through a distribution network that has a fee/surcharge that dealers outside of NE don't have. Not sure if this applies in CT.

Good luck
    Heard the same thing for SoNE. Different invoice than the rest of SoA.
    Did you finalize the deal?
    Yes purchased 2012 Legacy 2.5i Premium with the following options:
    CVT Transmission
    AllWeatherPackage (heated:seats,mirrors, wipers)
    HarmonKardonPremium audio (+ all the extras per brochure)
    Utility Package #2 (FogLights,RearBumperApplique,SplashGuards)
    Auto Dim Mirror,compass,w HOMELINK

$22,681 plus TTL. According to Truecar.com this is $1157 under invoice and 410 under dealer cost.

Now we all know invoice and dealer cost are not REALITY, as dealerships must make thousands on every new car, however I felt this was an amazing deal and (percentage under invoice/sticker) beat the Legacy deal I received in 2010 which was my goal. I did NOT buy from the same dealer, although I gave (2010 purchase) dealer the chance to beat the 2012 deal I had by $200 or more, they said no thanks they didn't want to lose money on the car. Disappointing as they were recommended by COSTCO.

I mainly wanted to upgrade to the 2012 because in my 2010 the XM on the windshield and reception was poor. I have 36,000 miles on it and because I drive so much I want the XM to work perfect. NOTE TO ANYONE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE SAT RADIO ON THE WINDSHIELD.

There was a "tiny" bit of bait and switch as I was told the car would be in first week of NOV and they would add the fog lights and splash guards locally however in the end they just ordered from the factory in INDIANA and should be here by CHRISTmas, as I was in no hurry. The dealer I bought from had the best price anyway which is what I was shopping. I challenged multiple dealers to beat it by at least $200 and every single one said you better sign that deal because it is awesome. Next best deal was $23,087 just below dealer cost AND it was not the previous dealer I bought from. I spoke with, emailed, faxed all dealers in NE OHIO, plus some in MI and PA.

Dealership I was working with was running short of their normal volume in October by about 20% which is unusual consideing in OH AWD sales pick up in the fall. My Sales Guy was awesome and really worked hard to make it happen for me, which I appreciated. NO BS or games with the Sales or Finance Managers, just a straight solid price.

My guess is once the snow hits here their sales will take off, however I hear they are getting a lot of consumers shopping the NEW toyota camry as well so maybe that helped that the new Camrys arrived the same time as the 2012 Legacys. either way I am happy.

Let me know if you have further questions. You can do the math ratios and see what kind of deal is possible, but you gotta work at it. Total shopping time took about 2 weeks, Negotiations about 4 business days. Good luck to you.
  • dmbmay98dmbmay98 Member Posts: 19
    Did you buy from the brunswick subaru skoman? I also may be interested in a 2012 subaru legacy. I am currently leasing a 2009 and have to trade it in soon. This is good information.
    I bought from Ganley Westside SUBARU in N Olmstead.
  • joek12joek12 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a base model 2012 Legacy CVT. MSRP=21745, Invoice (w dest)= 20594. I would expect to get options at invoice. Should I settle for invoice price, or how much below invoice is reasonable? One post had the dealer selling below cost, but would anyone do that and lose money. So what would be a reasonable good deal on this model?
    Congrats on the new Subaru skokman!! The Legacy is a very nice vehicle. The only thing that annoyed me was the OEM tires. According to Tirerack, the OEM's are horrible in the snow. Ironic, for a Subaru. :confuse: But as the snow starts flying, just pay attention to the performance of the OEM tires.

Oh, and I picked up my new car this weekend too. It wasn't a Subaru, but I did get it from Ganley.
    I found out that dealers buy below invoice (3% below?) so you should be able to buy at invoice (they still have to pay commission for salesman) maybe few hundred below. However sokoman's price is great, unrealistic to reach in NE where I am