Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 123appraiser123appraiser Member Posts: 6
    XC90 V8 w/touring/climate/metalic white/convenience,bi-xenon

48 mos - 12000 miles .
    out of pocket - $1400.
    Car Cost - $45,750.
    End buy out/residual - $25,700
    monthly payment $590

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    My obsessive compulsive nature (regarding safety) makes it difficult to consider anything but a Volvo XC90. Howevever I sure wish they had adaptive headlights, which is also a safety feature, really.

And cooled seats, since 109 degrees is not uncommon round these parts. Prob. less so in downtown Gothenburg ...

If I do get a Volvo, it will certainly be the V8. I have come to believe that horsepower is another safety feature of its own.

Alas ....
  • tetsutetsu Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2.5T AWD in the SF Bay area:
    Premium / Versatility / Climate
    Bi-Xenon
    Navi
    Dual rear seat entertainment
    Premium audio
    18" Atlantis wheels
    Rear park-assist
    Wood steering wheel
    MSRP: $51,020
    Paid: $45,500 :)
  • tshentshen Member Posts: 4
    Purchased 2005 XC90 V8 with Black Sapphire Metallic, Touring, Climate, Conv, and Bi-Xenon! I got $500 under the invoice of $47,859. Bought it from Smythe Volvo in Santa Clara.

Noticed the alignment was a bit off so I will make service appointment to get the dealer adjust it next week!

Love the way it handles! Was testing driving MDX before we decided to get this XC90.
  • maxxharleymaxxharley Member Posts: 2
    hi, reference msg #731. has anyone else heard/have any additl info about AAA members who purchase a volvo xc-90 receiving $500 check from volvo just for being a AAA member???

i'm about to lease one thursday in atlanta and would like to know, cause i'll sign up for AAA tonite!!
  • rhansen1rhansen1 Member Posts: 2
    SF Bay area
    XC90 2.5T AWD
    Premium / Versatility / Climate
    Rear park-assist
    Running board
    Blue Metallic paint
    $39,000
  • bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    850owner,

Would you mind telling me which dealership you bought from? I'm in Cincy as well - wy wife's Volvo came from Beechmont.

TIA
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I was at the local Volvo dealership last Friday night discussing doing an OSD on an XC90 and I asked the sales lady about the AAA thing and she said she had never heard of it. I told her I had heard from 2 sources that AAA did the $500 thing but since she knew nothing I don't know how to find out for sure if its true or not.
  • c130c130 Member Posts: 16
    I just ordered a 2006 V8, Black Sapphire, Touring,Convenience, Climate, Rear Seat Entertainment, IAQS, Bi-Xenon for $500.00 over invoice. The Woodlands, TX ( Houston Area)
  • uncaleouncaleo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an XC90 V8 and had financing in place when I went in. Volvo beat it with 5.5% for 72 months.
  • justjacjustjac Member Posts: 4
    I test drove an xc90 today and the salesman told me AAA is offering a 500 rebate for volvo purchases. I don't have any more info but did just hear it today.
  • justjacjustjac Member Posts: 4
    I just started looking and am considering XC90 vs MDX. Would appreciate your thoughts on those two and what it was about the XC90 since there is cost difference. The car is primarily for me but I will lug two young children ( and wife) around occassionally.
  • maxxharleymaxxharley Member Posts: 2
    ok people,
    here;s the scoop on the AAA $500 rebate...last night, on the off chance the rebate was ongoing, i spent $10 to purchase a 2 month membership with AAA 'cause we planned on buying a car today in atlanta. As luck would have it, we bought an xc-90 today and i asked the salesman about AAA and some rebate. He immediately pulled out a "Volvo Check Request Form" entitled "AAA-South" which requires a sales agreement and this form be mailed into Volvo at Dearborn, MI for the rebate...The only requirement is that you be a active member of AAA for at least six months...so, i will expand my 2 month membership tonite for a year (about $60) and get $500 bucks from vovlo...not too shabby!!!
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    I researched this pretty intently and here is what I can tell you about the $500 AAA rebate - it is real but only certain AAA regions are participating...the midwest (I'm in Ohio) is not so I was not eligible. Two regions that I remember participating are mid-Atlantic and Southern California. You have 60 days from the day you purchase the vehicle to submit the paperwork to Volvo.

maxxharley - you may want to confirm that you qualify as the 60 day deadline does not line up with the 6 month membership requirement. It was my understanding that you had to have been an active AAA member for 6 months prior to getting the rebate. Probably in an effort to block people from doing what you are attempting.

I hope it works out for you...Good luck.
  • mudfudmudfud Member Posts: 6
    :confuse:
    I was quoted this price from a Chicago area dealer
    XC90 2.5 T AWD, Silver Metallic, Premium Package, Versatility, Climate, Park Assist
    Quoted Price: $40,000 (around 1500 below invoice)

Sounds good?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We cross shopped these two extensively in January and ended up with 2005 MDX Touring (w Nav & RES). However, the XC90 V8 was a very close runner up and it was a difficult decision.

In favor of the MDX:

1. Roomier interior and more accessible third row. forget what the passenger volume stats say about the MDX and XC90 being similar in size (90+/- c.f.). The MDX is about 2" wider and has more room in both the second and third rows.

2. Bluetooth phone, XM radio, better navigation system, better RES system. I bunch all these together as features that, individually, are not dela makers or breakers, but taken in total became a bit of a factor.

3. Low risk reliability / high quality. We have owned a few Honda/Acura products in the past, most recently a 2002 S2000 and 2004 TL 6-speed. They have all been bullet proof. The only thing I was slightly concerned about with the MDX was the automatic transmission, but the unit was redesigned for 2005.

4. Fuel economy, insurance costs, long term mainetenance costs: All would appear to be lower on the MDX, even factoring in the free "routine" maintenance (i.e. glorified oil changes) on the XC90.

In favor of the XC90:

1. Interior: Best seats in the business, other than the Cayennes sport seats. Nice looking, clean interior with high quality materials.

2. Exterior style: Both are reasonably attractive, neither is as sexy as the 911 I am contemplating, but the Volvo is a little better looking in my opinion.

3. V8 performance: Liked the power of the V8 engine; however, I did notice a lot of shifting of the 6-speed automatic as it searched for gears. The MDX is noticably quicker than the XC90 2.5, but the V8 is quicker than the MDX.

4. Safety features / handling: Again, both are very good, but Volvo gets the nod on safety features and their stability control system. However, in coming out of an Isuzu Trooper, the MDX was an enormous jump up and we don't plan on racing the MDX through mountain roads.

We now have 7,000 trouble free miles on the MDX and are pleased with our decision. But the XC90 V8 is a heck of anice vehicle, especially at the near invoice prices that are now available.
  • rnc5rnc5 Member Posts: 10
    We were considering the MDX & Volvo. Drove both back to back. My recommendation is drive both and your opinion is what counts the most.

Agree with earlier post on overall differences.

A few of our impressions: MDX is more powerful and roomier. You get more car for the money with the MDX. Also, reliability is supposedly higher with the MDX.

We are going to buy the XC90 with the 2.5 AWD. We had a few deciding factors. The Volvo handled better than the MDX. It felt more solid, to us. Also, we have 3 small children and safety is paramount. One could argue that the MDX is as safe or safer than the Volvo, however to us the Volvo is safer.

Finally, the Volvo was quieter on the road than the MDX. The MDX has less engine noise, but the Volvo has less cabin noise. When all is said and done, 2 pretty darn good choices.
    I just ordered a 2006 XC90 V8 with Touring, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, Rear Seat Entertainment, and IAQS. I changed my mind less than one week later on the wheels and wanted to change them to the chrome wheels, but the dealership says this is impossible to change. I called Volvo North America and they told me they couldn't help. I spoke to some worthless person in headquarters and she told me Volvo could not help, that I bought it from a privately owned dealership and it was their problem. Makes me think twice about going through with the order if I can't change something as simple as the wheels one week in to the order. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
    Well, it appears the sales manager at the dealership has taken care of the issue. I was told that it appears they will be able to get the chrome wheels. The dealership I purchased from has been outstanding, but Volvo North America was totally worthless with the "I don't care, can't help you" attitude.
  • annoyedbyspamannoyedbyspam Member Posts: 2
    Some thoughts on your decision: First, I'm an 11 year Honda owner, so my brand loyalty is to Honda/Acura. Honda Pilot didn't have side curtains for 2nd and 3rd rows, so I dropped the Pilot right away. MDX has an Odyssey-like ride. My wife drives a 2001 so I don't consider this a negative. But, you feel the road in the MDX while my XC90 2.5 AWD seems to hold the road yet hide the bumps. Honda/Acura seats are something you tolerate, not love. Volvo, however, seems to cushion me quite well (5'10" at average weight). Controls in the Volvo are in arm's reach. Not true for some of the MDX controls where I found myself reaching to operate enviro controls. The third row in the XC90 sat my wife's 5'4" (approx) cousin for a 35 minute ride on mostly 45 MPH city roads. More importantly, she sat there again on the way back and didn't punch me in the head upon arriving home. The MDX third row headrests are 3-4 inches from the back glass; pardon me for not considering this a crumple zone. The rear crumple zone in XC90 seems bigger.

I asked MDX salesman if the reverse camera was affected by heavy rain. His reply: not all all. Um, somehow I doubt that. Seems like Volvo parking assist would work better in various circumstances other than sunny days. The factory-installed DVD seems safer than a drop-down screen that reaches into my rear-viewing area, but this isn't just the MDX. However, I would kill for an IR sensor in the front of the vehicle instead of under the headrests/LCD panels. I bet Acura has a better solution there (DVD failed to work in my test drive but only because it hadn't been properly prepped off the truck).

If you are transporting kids, the XC90 is my hands-down winner. If my vehicle was mostly for myself and had business use, then I'd go MDX all the way. The MDX is a Honda/Acura, so it'll meet 95% of consumer needs and be very adequate doing that. I found XC90 pricing to be better (imagine my surprise) for the features I wanted. Volvo nav systems seem far behind Acura, but I didn't really want that option. I do mostly city driving but will purchase a Garmin/Magellan device as needed. Didn't want antique nav system sitting in my vehicle 3 years from now.

A final note on some of the knocks on the XC90 I've seen posted. For my vehicle ONLY, the radio reception is great (pick up Greenville, SC and Greensboro, NC stations quite well here in Charlotte) or at least comparable to my Accord. The 5 cyclinder allows me to embarrass many other SUV drivers while still getting decent gas mileage (17.1 MPG with 95% city roads at 1,500 miles so far). Does this mean I'll win a 1/4-mile race? No, I'll get creamed. But the turbo on the 5 is there when I need it. I have a reasonably soft pedal foot with quick-enough reflexes, so that's how I outmaneuver other SUVs. Lead-foots shouldn't even try the 5-cyl.; go straight to the V8 or, even better, the Cadillac SUVs.

No reliability problems, no road noise, and 2 kids who prefer the XC90 to the Odyssey. My one gripe is the CD-track repeating or station pre-sets jumping without my intent to do so. Seems to me like Volvo needs to look at recessed steering wheel controls like Acura has. Could be my hand bumping the controls or loose connections like a previous poster.
  • xc90xc90 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all so much!

After doing my research I went into the dealer last thursday (last day of the month) and asked for the manager. We sat down and went right into pricing. I knew the car better than he did. Got him down to 750 bellow invoice, which i think is very good. Now I have a brand new, blue, v8 xc90 with pretty much everything but the DVD and the GPS. Due to a family trip I plan on picking it up in a week. I can't wait.

I check these message boards ever day to see if there is any new advice. I plan on getting the weathertech mats. I want this car to go well into the 200k+ area. Change the oil and clean out the tire wells. Any other advice? any other cool accessories? i also plan to take this in to a stereo shop so i can hard wire my ipod.
  • levonlevon Member Posts: 1
    I am a AAA member and working on getting an XC90. Where do I get the paperwork for the $500 rebate. Will this affect the deal I am working with the dealer or is it a rebate directly from Volvo and not be a concern of the dealership?

Also, I was told Volvo came out with the new dealer incentives today and the premium packages are now free in July. The dealer incentive for June was $1,500 off invoice, so the premium package deal adds about another $1000 (invoive Premium package is $2575. Anyone have any idea what the incentive might be for August (maybe based on what they did last year)? I'm assuming they will give away more to get rid of the last of the 2005's I'm thinking aout waiting a couple of weeks if they keep going up on the incentives.

On a side note, I actually have 2 dealerships checking bc they thought they could "stack" the 2 rebates ($1500 off invoice AND free Premium package). I'm thinking this is too good to be true, but may get there anyway by waiting until August.

Any thoughts, input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • tcg1tcg1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi xc90,

I am in the market for the same car (2005 XC90 V8) with the reverse sensors and rear entertainment package. If you don't mind, could you share what your bottom line price was? I got quoted $44,324 which I think is an outstanding price. Thanks!
  • xc90xc90 Member Posts: 5
    tcg1,

that sounds like a great price. we got the metalic blue, reverse sensors, bi-xenon lights, climate package, convenience package, and touring pacake all for 47,200. so if that's the case then go for it!! we probably should have waited like you for the july incentives, but im very happy.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    You all seem to be doing better than me. In Kansas City with the Ford X-plan I am getting quoted about 51,350. That is for a car with V8, rear entertainment, NAV, park assist, actually, there is not any option that it does not have. Plus, they called me today to tell me that there is now the 1500 incentive. (before that they were giving me around 52,850. Is x-plan not the way to go right now???
  • kerryldkerryld Member Posts: 1
    I researched SUV's for 3 months starting in March. I was giving up my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 100,000 miles. The Jeep -until the 2005's-had an in line 6 cylinder engine which meant it would last forever as long as you took care of it.
    Therefore I could only be happy with an in line engine, so a new Jeep was out. I then looked at the BMW x 3...Nice but too pricey for what you got. I then looked at the Hummer H3(in line 5 Cylinder). I really like that car but it was brand new..Whats the resale, the reliability, etc? I then test drove the XC 90..the last in line of my options. I did not like the ride at first but kept thinking about what a great car it was...again too pricey at that point(Like 37800 with Versatility and Premium).

Finally I went to the dealer again in West Palm Beach....I had just heard about their $ 1500 manufacturer to dealer incentive. I approached the first sales man I saw and told him I wanted to see:
    Volvo XC 90
    Premium
    Versatility
    Wooden Steering Wheel
    Black

He had one...still in the wrapper(styrofoam)!!! I told him I will buy it for $ 36,500.00

He came back 10 minutes later...You have a deal!!

I have loved it ever since (one month now). I put a lot of mileage on cars so this one will have to go 250 K. But as I said above the inline engine seems to hold up so I expect this one will.
  • rnc5rnc5 Member Posts: 10
    Picked up a 2005 Crystal Green Metallic XC 90, 2.5, AWD. It has:
    Premium Pkg,
    Versatility Pkg
    Climate
    Rear Park Assist
    One Child Booster Seat

Price for everything with Destination, handling, all EXCEPT for TTL was $39,387.
    Bought from McDonald Automotive in Denver, CO. It was an easy buying experience through the Internet Sales manager, via Cars Direct. I probably could have done a few hundred dollars better, but the dealer gave me a very good price in June, then dropped the price yesterday when the new incentives came out. It is not worth it to me, to beat the heck out of 3 dealers to save a few hundred dollars, my time is worth something. Also, they found financing at a better rate than I could easily find. Since this is a 2005 the Free Maintenance will save me a some money.

This is the 2nd car we bought from them (first was a VW) Overall of an excellent buying experience with very fair pricing right off the bat. Not much more I can ask for.

Even better, the car drives great!! We live in the mountains of Colorado and no power problems with the 2.5. It is not the V-8 but a great balance of power and fuel economy for such a large and safe car.
    Which dealership are you using in Kansas City? I tried to buy a 2005 VX90 V8 with Touring, Convenience, Climate, Rear Seat Entertainment, IAQS, Bi-Xenon from Superior Volvo and they would not negotiate at all, or at least to my expectations. They had two XC90's exactly how I wanted them in Black Sapphire/Taupe and I tried to negotiate with them for about 2-3 weeks. I spoke to the sales manager, who was beyond arrogant and that broke the deal right then. I ordered a 2006 XC90 V8 with exactly the same options as the two at Superior at $500.00 over invoice, a better deal than Superior wanted on a 2005.
  • kirbykirby Member Posts: 9
    I have gotten an Internet quote from an area dealer (Ohio) on an 05 XC-90 V8 with Touring, Climate, and Metallic Paint, at 45,300 - which as best as I can tell is about 600 under invoice (reflecting the 1500 cash allowance to dealers) - sounds like a good deal to me - any thoughts?
    Also - silly question - are floor mats included, or do I need to negotiate them in??
  • shane1906shane1906 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

We also bought a 2005 Crystal Green Metallic XC 90, 2.5, AWD yesterday (July 8th) in CO. It includes
    Premium Pkg,
    Versatility Pkg
    Climate Pkg
    Rear Park Assist
    One Child Booster Seat
    and Dual DVD system
    for $41,083 - $43,836 with TTL (MSRP 46,350)

We have been preparing to buy an XC90 since March. We were in contact with the dealer last month and received a quote for the same vehicle for $42,700. When the new incentives for the month came out the dealer called me back and said they could take a another $500 off the price they quoted me bringing it to $42,200 (after fees).

Thanks to this forum I new that the Premium Pkg (~$2500) should be the amount removed from the invoice price, bringing the cost down to ~40,500. I then agreed to give them $300 over invoice and told them it would have been more if they were truthful about the new incentives and didn't try to take me for over $1300. The dealer had a mandatory $300 handling fee, so I mentioned that they actually make $600 over invoice. The dealer agreed to the new price, and we drove off with the car.

I am hoping that there were not other incentives that I was not aware of, but I assumed any other deals couldn't be stacked or were only on the V8. In the end we purchased the car we wanted for the price we thought was good.

Moral of the story is that if you can catch the dealer not being truthful about the incentives, it can definitely work to your advantage. Good luck to everyone out there.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Yes it is Superior in Kansas City. You are correct about the attitude of the sales manager. They act "put out" that I would want to use x-plan and I feel like they are going to somehow find a way to get the money back! Who did you end up ordering your 2006 through?
  • kjshankjshan Member Posts: 5
    I was hoping to purchase in July or August a XC90 V8. A Baltimore area dealer gave us an offer of $4000 off. For example:
    XC90 V8
    Metallic Paint
    Climate Package
    Touring Package
    $44985

I think this is an outstanding value. However, we do not like to part with money. Ford is practically giving away Explorers right now and am torn between practically of a Ford and the fun of driving the Volvo. (12K price difference)

Does anyone think Volvo will offer more agressive pricing in August?
    I ordered my 2006 Xc 90 V8 from DeMontrond, which is just north of Houston,TX. I live in The Woodlands, TX, so this is my closest dealership. I looked all over the country trying to find a Black Sapphire, Taupe Leather V8 with Climate, Touring, Convenience, Bi-Xenon, and Rear Seat Entertainment. Superior Volvo was the closest dealership with the exact car in stock, and my wife went to University of Kansas and we were married at Ft. Leavenworth. They actually had two identical. I was going to buy from them until I spoke to the sales manager. I was told by him that they "had moved on" from me and were not wasting their time because they weren't going to sell less than $1,000.00 over invoice. So I moved on and ordered a 2006 and gave $500 over invoice, which seemed okay for a 2006 model. The bad part is I have to wait until September to get it, but the unbelievable part is the dealership is letting me drive a 2005 XC90 2.5 at no cost until my new one comes in. They gave it to me as a loaner. I couldn't ask for more I don't think. I was eligble for the X Plan also, butI think you can do better than that price.
  • mudfudmudfud Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a 2005 2.5T AWD in the Chicago area, and our local dealer seemed unaware of the free Premium package incentive. Does anyone know if this is a national promotion?

Also Levon, did you manage to stack the 2 rebates?
    Thanks! :)
  • stephainestephaine Member Posts: 2
    I've narrowed down who I'll be placing an order on a 2006 2.5T AWD and am interested in comparing the dealer service centers. Does anyone know where I can obtain customer reviews on specific dealer's service centers?
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I saw the prices today in the newspaper for a Exploder XLS and thought, "I could have bought 2 of those for the price of my V8 XC90." I am still glad I ordered the XC90.
    Maybe there's a reason, to quote you, that "Ford is practically giving away Explorers right now?"
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    With Premium and Versatility package, XC 90 (2005) with a total out of pocket of $1,000 (including everythin tax, tag etc.), my payment for 38 remaining months would be $467 + tax. This includes my $1,000 Volvo loyalty and also 45K miles over the 39 month lease. Does this sound like a good deal?
    You have to have been a AAA member since Jan 05'. If you're going to go to Atlanta to get it, go to Dyer and Dyer and see manager whose name initials are M.L. (no names but this should be OK).
  • kjshankjshan Member Posts: 5
    What engine are you considering? This is a big factor for your pricing model.
    probably the five cylinder. I know it's not the 8 and I think the 5 cylinder is cheaper than the 6.
    Update!!! Another dealer quoted me for same two packages, with the 2.5 5 cylinde engine:

Total at start is $742 including first month
    They will pay my disposition because I will not be going with Volvo this time for finance.
    They will cover my $460 last payment on my current Volvo.
    With 38 remaining payments and 45K total miles allowed, it comes to $459 + tax.
    Is this a good deal?
  • johnnyboy1johnnyboy1 Member Posts: 2
    bondguy, what is the residual and the selling price?
  • mundmund Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 XC90 in NJ. Versatility, climate, premium packages. Rear parking assist. Cost - 38,500. I thought this was a good deal. Any comments???
    I don't know. But, saw an ad yesterday in the newspaper and XC90's are coming with no extra cost Premium Package (a $2999 value). Sounds good to me. For a limited time, get the Premium pkg for free.
  • tgraysontgrayson Member Posts: 15
    Anyone buy an XC90 in CT or RI?
    The local dealer is trying to justify a several hundred dollar premium on a quote by offering to provide a loaner car free of charge throughout the warranty (other dealers are several hundred miles away, so even if they offered it's not very convenient). Does this really have value? Or do Volvo service departments provide a loaner car to all customers under warranty, regardless of where they bought the car?
    Given some of the posts, it sounds like I might use the loaner frequently! :D
    Any thoughts or experience?
    My volvo dealer offers loaners throughout the warranty and I would not pay extra for this, at least not knowingly. I just ordered a 2006 V8 and the dealership is loaning me an XC90 until my new one comes in and this is the first vehicle I have bought from them. Every Volvo dealership I have talked to gives out loaners and I was told by Volvo customer service that this is part of the agreement Volvo has with the dealerships.
    Thanks much for the tip, c130. I expected as much, but wanted confirmation.
  • jeanljeanl Member Posts: 2
    Wondering the same thing for MA. XC90 w/ climate, versatility, premium in magic blue???
  • bsecbsec Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am located in Pensacola Florida and wanted some price advice on a purchase of a 2005 XC90 AWD w/ back up sensors, DVD, and moon roof. It is the 2.5T auto model. I was quoted a price of 43.995. Does this seem fair or should I try and talk them down further? Does anyone know of incentives for this area or have any information to give me a little leverage at the dealership? Any info would be helpful and apreciated. Thank you -B