Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Brian, send me your e-mail. I have posted some pictures of Prague for you. I will respond with the link to the website. My e-mail is in my profile.
  • Could you tell me more about the US military buying program? Do you have to be stationed in a specific area? I'm looking @ a '05 XC90 and my husband is in Iraq. JM
  • Any thoughts on the Volvo navigation system (I am hooked on the Nav with my Acura TL). Not one Volvo dealer had a vehicle with Nav to do a demo in my area. Any comparison between Acura and Volvo Navigation systems?
  • Hi, I have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet. I did see an XC90 with the navigational system in the lot. The screen is located at a height that does not take your eyes of the road. While we were not moving, the screen was easy to read and the salesman toggled through the menu with ease on the steering wheel. I hope this helps....

George
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I also have a 2004 Acura TL and we are strongly leaning to the XC90 V8. I've seen the Volvo navigation system and was not impressed. 6.5 inch screen, average resolution and I'm not in favor of the top of dash pop up location. Although some claim an advantage to "not taking your eyes off the road", I'd rather have the screen in the top of the center stack like the Acura.

However, we must both keep in mind that the Acura system is the best screen, voice activation and touch screen systemm, bar none. Even the Lexus system on the GX470 is a couple notches down.

I was happy to pay $2k for the Acura system; not sure the Volvo system is worth $2,120. Nor do many others, as I understand fewer than 10% of the XC90's come with it.
  • JM,

Did you ever get a response to your questing about the US Military buying program? I'll be TDY in Jan to an overseas location and am looking to do the same thing. The word I received on the issue was if you are stationed at an overseas location or TDY. aharris720
  • No, no response. But I really need something now, so I'm going to go at it on my own. Good luck to you, JM
  • barryctbarryct Posts: 29
    Hi. I purchased my XC90 T6 through the Military Overseas Program. I was stationed in Iraq when I began the process. I went to the Volvo web site and inquired about info and was put into contact with their Middle Ease Sales person. I made a $1000 deposit and ordered my vehicle. At the time I was going to have to wait until the '05s since the allocation for '04 was gone. Luckily there was a change and I was able to take delivery in July. I obtained a loan for the balance from a US bank and had to pay the balance once the vehicle was ready to be shipped. Once that was done I waited about 30 days for delivery from a Volvo dealership of my choosing. They prepped it for delivery, gave me an orientation and the keys and that was it. It is basically just like ordering from the dealership accept you can save a lot of money. The whole process is very professionally handled. They take care of you pretty good. Here is the address:
    http://vcic.volvocars.com/militarysales
  • IIHS tested the 2003 XC90 and of the luxury SUVs it has a rather high femur forces (reference http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/details/luxsuv_f- ront.htm ) of 6.3, and 5.0 for left and right respectively on the driver.

Any idea if anything has been done since then to reduce these forces in the 2005 XC90 model year?

Note 6.3 kilonewton = 1,416.2963464 pound-force
  • xc90/xc70 -- why do they start out at about the same base price when there when there is so much more to an xc90?
  • jimuwjimuw Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 AWD XC90 at Volvo of Tacoma(WA) in Fife WA.I had a choice of 7 dealers in the area and I just had a hunch that they would have the best selection of 04's and because of location offer the best price.As it turned out they were down to 1 2004, it was Black sapphire and fully loaded with every option except the 18"
    wheels.

The msrp was 46,895 which is where the sticker price was aprox.invoice was 43,241 ,TMV was 43,460.He took off 1700 for the versatility pkg.
    taking it down to 41,541, an added 500.00 for total of 42,041(1200 below TMV).

I did add running boards for 875.I got talked into (by my wife) the total chip guard protection
    899.00 and the paint and interior protection 595.
    I was offered the extended warranty from 4 yrs to 7 yrs for an additional 1995.00 but passed, and passed on the stolen car protection systems.
  • Thank you, thank you! I'm going to get my husband to work on it. You can special order it? any way you want? So glad you responded, I was going to the dealership tomm. to negotiate but I'll hold on a little longer. JM
  • barryctbarryct Posts: 29
    I ordered it like you would from a dealership. I picked model, color, interior, option packages, etc. Once it was on a ship I could track it by port city. Worked out real nice. Some dealerships may be able to do as well or better on in stock '04s. You may want to check both, especially if you are not tied to a specifically configured XC90.
    Chris
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which minimal incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi! Wanted to thank you for the info and I ordered my XC90 through a local dealership last night. When I told them I was going thru the Military sales program, then he told me I could do the same thing w/ the dealership. They just need a POA from my husband and a military ID. It only took @ 30-45 min and the process was the same, except I had to put a $2000 deposit down and then pay the balance 30 days before delivery. No destination charge and saved a couple thousand off the base price. It also takes about 12 weeks for delivery but it's worthing saving a couple of thousand. I'm still waiting for a military sales person in Kuwait to respond to my email 5 days ago. Thanks again. I've learn alot of great info from these forums. J
    Congratulations. Which model did you get? We are trying to decide whether to forego a 2004 tax deduction in favor of getting an XC90 V8 in March.
  • thanks! 2.5 AWD ruby red w/ all the bells & whistles. I liked the gas mileage better than T6 and couldn't really tell the difference in handling and acceleration. J
    I agree with your assessment of the 2.5 vs. T6. I would be deciding between the V8 6-speed and the 2.5 5-speed, but have completely ruled out the T6 4-speed.

Just curious, did they give you any break in price on "all the bells and whistles" or are you paying full MSRP for the options? If so, you've still got a good deal, but I noticed the options are marked up quite a bit more than the base price of the car. When I priced out a loaded 2.5, I came up with a total of $9,765 in options that have an invoice price of $8,396. That's a $1,330 markup, whereas, in the U.S., the base car itself is only marked up about $2,300 ($36,615 MSRP vs. invoice of $34,611). At least one dealer I talked to said they might be able to negotiate "a little discount" on the options on an Overseas Delivery purchase.

Congrats again, sounds like you've got a great car to look forward to.
  • 90info90info Posts: 7
    05 XC90 2.5T AWD - Metallic Paint, Graphite interior, Premium PKG, Climate PKG, Wood Steering whl, Premium Stereo, 18" Atlantis wheels. quoted at 41,335 - MSRP 43,220. Tri state area dealer.

Can anyone provide input, much appreciated looking to purchase within a few weeks, will have to wait about 10 weeks for delivery. - thanks in advance, any thoughts would help...
  • With this kind of waiting period - go with Overseas delivery at $39,625 (as described)- will save over $1500 more + you will get two round trip tickets to Europe and a free night in Gothenburg.
  • coppercopper Posts: 94
    Keystone Volvo in PA is selling at $300 above invoice.
    have you had any experience w/ keystone?
    Yes...waiting till the end of this month to make the deal on a 2005 T6. Very nice guys. They are fairly new so they are still in the "impress" stage.
    Shoot them an email. Don't forget about Volvo's offer this month: Free versatility package.
  • I'm paying MSRP for the options but a break of $1811 off the invoice(base price $32,500) and no destination charges. Thats a total savings of $1698 taking into account that I'm paying MSRP for options. Options were $8,445 MSRP vs $7,647 invoice. Originally I was only able to get $800 over invoice before I knew I could get military pricing and of course the dealer knew nothing about that until I told him "Thanks but we're going through a military sales person". There's no haggling and the price is set. So I'm happy w/ the deal.
    And thanks, I hope so.
    thanks, i will look into keystone. the versatility give away is only on the 04's correct?

all in all i think i am at a good price point, would you or anybody else agree.
    free versatility is for 05's also.
    I'm paying $300 above invoice, so that's a good price point for me. That's the best price I found.
    Check with Keystone and ask them how much above Invoice they are willing to go on your car.
    that sounds great!, i will check with keystone

keystone is in montgomeryville, bethlehem pike correct?

thanks for all your help!
    Yep...the Montgomeryville location.
    Make sure you don't take the Blue one...that one is mine :-)

Good luck!
  • I returned yesterday from my OSD on the 5 cylinder. We really enjoyed the whole experience, and love the vehicle.

The car cost $43,135 and my invoice was as follows:
    prem package
    vers package
    climate package
    xenons
    parking assist
    wood steering
    premium sound
    nav system
    retractable mirrors
  • Congratulations,
    But how did you get the retractable mirrors on 2.5T? Neither I nor a couple of other 04 "OSD" folks here on Edmunds could do that.