Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chrysler Town & Country Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Let's focus on pricing in here and take the other conversation to our regular Chrysler Town & Country 2005+ discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Edmunds pricing 2005 GC SXT equipped as CR's (where CR listed they paid $34,140) has MSRP of $34,370 and Edmund's TMV $31,571. Subtract the $2500 incentives and rebates to obtain the $29,071 price that a person SHOULD PAY if they are smart enough to read Edmund's accurately researched information.

That is $ 5,069 LESS than the MSRP which CR apparently paid.

As I have written before, Edmunds is the place to get GOOD information before buying any vehicle.

Why the difference in Edmund's pricing and the amount CR paid? DC has had price increases on their 2005 minivans since they were introduced and Edmund's has the current pricing.
    Just checked at Edmund's which states 215 HP @ 5000 RPM and 245 ft-lbs @ 4000 RPM for the 2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6..

I also looked at my 2005 T&C brochure which states 205 HP @ 5200 RPM and 240 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM. (I could not find power rating of 3.8L in the 2005 Caravan brochure).

Another reason to buy the Grand Caravan SXT instead of the more expensive T&C Touring clone which costs more, is less attractive, and has less power.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    I would expect the same performance regardless of the official numbers. I and I think others would argue the the T&C touring is better looking than the mono colored SXT. The touring has some chrome on the front grille, sides, and rear door. Packaged with the signature series the touring is a much better value than a comparable SXT. I am biased though ... just purchased a T&C touring signature series in midnight blue last night. Details on price paid to follow.
    2000 Rebate and 0%/5 years or 3500 rebate only. So unless you are paying cash the 2000/financing deal is best. There is no question that you can get a SXT or touring for much less than the honda/toyota. The SXT/Touring may not be as powerful/refined and not quite as nice inside as the honda/toyota but ... Is the honda/toyota $6000+ better/nicer? not in my opinion.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Consumer Reports never lists what they actually paid for vehicles. They only show MSRP's. Probably because price's paid varies across the country depending on region, vehicle demand, and negotiating skills of the individual customer. That plus CR wants you to buy their car pricing services, while Edmund's gives you essentially the same thing free.

I have always had a bit of a gripe regarding CR's testing and evaluation, as they never take into account actual cost of the vehicle when doing comparisons and rating vehicles.

That's why the truly educated consumer shouldn't just rely on CR, Edmunds or any other publications. Use all those sources, then come up with your own best choice, which should include out the door cost considerations.
    Sticker 32405.00. This was built before the slight price increase. Base 27440 + Signature series option 3715 + 3-zone auto climate 375 + power pedals 195 + dest 680 = 32405. Used DC affiliate discount which is 1% less than dealer invoice + 25 adm fee. 29948 + 25 adm fee + 169.00 doc fee + 6% state tax 1808.52 - 2000 rebate = 29950.52 O.T.D. financed 5 years @ 0% = 499.17/month. It has everything I wanted ... DVD, NAV, 6 disc changer, leather, moonroof, power seats ... except side curtain head protection airbags which is a bummer. You cant get this option on DC vans with the moonroof option. Why I dont know. Honda and Toyota offer it with moonroofs. I liked the honda and toyota better but after 5 years I would have paid 8000+ for the honda or toyota given no repairs out of warranty. I will take my chances with the T&C's average reliability and lower resale. I am satisfied with price paid. The best I could negotiate without the affiliate discount was invoice.
  • This is for information purpose only. I checked DamilerChrysler Dodge's website and they have the 2005 3.8L V6 engine produces 215 horsepower at 5,000 RPM with 245 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM with sequential multi-point fuel injection.
    Thanks...Another example of Edmunds having very accurate data.

Edmunds also has very accurate, current data on prices to pay for a Chrysler Town & Country.
  • Chrysler's T&C site says:

3.8-liter V6 engine produces a silky-smooth 205 horsepower at 5,200 RPM with 240 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM

And the Dodge site indeed says 215/245

Weird. Very weird
  • I looked a little more at this.

On the Dodge website as well as Chrysler website, for GC & T&C respectively , we have this:

On the page under the link "performance"

Chrysler:

The available 205-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 engine on Touring and Limited provides impressive power to maneuver confidently.

Dodge:

150-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder 16-valve engine, standard on Caravan SE

180-horsepower 3.3-liter V6 engine, standard on Caravan SXT and Grand Caravan SE

205-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 engine, standard on Grand Caravan SXT

On the specifications page (for both):

3.8-liter V6 engine produces a silky-smooth 205 horsepower at 5,200 RPM with 240 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM

So they are saying 2 different things on their own website. Very strange...
    2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6 HAS 215 HP @ 5000 RPM and 245 @ 4000 RPM Torque according to the Dodge website as of 6:10 PM MST Friday Feb 11, 2005.
    http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp?vehicle=CARAVA- - N&pid=6648016&adid=13190949&rid=0

Just scroll down and click onto "Powertrain" to get the data.

I have never read any other numbers at the official Dodge website or at Edmunds.
  • 2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6 HAS 215 HP @ 5000 RPM and 245 @ 4000 RPM Torque according to the Dodge website as of 6:10 PM MST Friday Feb 11, 2005.

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp?vehicle=CARAVA- - N&pid=6648016&adid=13190949&rid=0

Just scroll down and click onto "Powertrain" to get the data.

I have never read any other numbers at the official Dodge website or at Edmunds. <<

I don't know what else to tell you. I thought I typed it out pretty thoroughly. I said specifically where the 205 number is on the official site.
    CR has said it has 205 HP, and both Dodge & Chrysler Websites show it as 205 or 215, depending where you look. I KNOW that it says 215 in the link you provided.
    Every Dodge website I have seen + Edmunds show the 3.8L V6 in the 2005 GC SXT has 215 HP while my 2005 Chrysler T&C brochure shows the 3.8L V6 in the T&C has only 205 HP.

I would like to see a Dodge web site that shows the lesser rating of the Horsepower.

The more attractive, less expensive GC SXT has more power than the T&C Touring clone. The question is "Why"? Is it like the Toyota 3.3L V6 has more power in the Avalon than the Sienna except the lower priced DC version has more power while in Toyota, the more expensive vehicle has more power?
  • On 2/9/2005, I purchased a new Touring with no options. The deal I got was $23,195. But wait! The trade-in I got was $1450. higher than the other 2 dealers were offering. They were just offering Kelly Blue Book Trade-in value (good condtion) I'm inclined to believe my salesman probably also gave me only book value for the car and took the price off the new Touring. That would bring it down to $21,745. From what I've read in these posts, for a Touring with no options, that's a low, but reasonable figure.
  • I would like to see a Dodge web site that shows the lesser rating of the Horsepower. <<

As I stated earlier:

http://www.dodge.com/caravan/performance.html
  • I assume from reading your post the prices you list for the touring are after your trade-in of $1,450
    THANKS for the link. I am now a believer.

Amazing that Dodge has websites with conflicting information.
  • I shopped at 3 dealers for the same vehicle. My trade-in appraisal at 2 of the dealers was $10,550. (which is Kelly Bluebook Trade in Value for a 2001 Toyota Avalon XL in good condition, with 51,700 miles) But the 3rd dealer offered $12,000. for the Avalon, and his list price for the new Touring was in line with the other 2 dealers. The deal seemed too good to be true, but it went through, to my surprise. I regret I couldn't get the red color I wanted. (none were av'bl in cloth) So I had to settle for the Bright Silver.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Folks, further posts regarding horsepower will be removed from this discussion, which focuses on pricing & the purchase experience. Please start here:

dennisctc, "Chrysler Town & Country and Grand Caravan 2005+" #472, 14 Feb 2005 8:07 am

to talk about horsepower.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• flash9flash9 Posts: 7
    Deal we got:
    2005 T&C Limited - Magnesium Pearlcoat - Khaki
    Sticker $36,125 Invoice $33,056
    $31,600 - $2,500 Rebate = $29,100
    Cary, NC on 2/26/05
  • rytromrytrom Posts: 5
    got today 2001 T&C LXI fully loaded with 41T miles from a dealer with a gold-check 2 month certificate. 13.5T + paper + tax. In Atlanta it got altogether to 15T
    Why does a dealer sell a van for $1400 under invoice? If holdback is 3% of msrp they are losing money. Please explain. Did you get the employee price?
    I did my negotiating where I had three dealers give me there &#147;best&#148; price, then listed separately their fees (i.e. Doc fees, dealer prep…). I then informed them I would choose between the Chrysler Rebates that were in effect. (Reminder until 2/28/05 they were: $2,000 with 0%, or $2,500 plus $1,000 if you finance with Chrysler Financial, other dealers were saying the rate would be in the 6-7% range, but I did not care because I would just refinance it with my Credit Union in a couple months for 3.9%.) This dealer offered the best deal at $500 under dealer invoice plus any rebates, and they had two exactly with the features we wanted. We wanted a Limited with no other options. They had a Butane Blue with Gray, and Magnesium with Khaki. We went and looked at the vans and choose the Magnesium with Khaki, I told the salesman I wanted the $3,500 rebate, and could he check what the interest rate would be. He said with my credit he could get 3.99%. This locked the deal.
    The next day we came back to make the purchase. We sat down with the finance guy. When I looked at the final price, it was nearly exactly $1,000 high! I noticed the rebate was only $2,500. He said that dealership does not offer Chrysler Financial loans, and the loan was through a local bank. I said this was not what I had agreed to, and was ready to walk out. The Salesman was called in and he and the Finance guy left the room. I do not know if the room was wired or not, but I turned to my wife and said there is NO way they were going to drop their price another $1,000 if they were not getting it back from Chrysler. The salesman came back and offered to take $900 off of the agreed upon price and through in the molded splashguards $38 value. Since this came off the sales price there was no taxes on the $900, where there is on the $1,000 rebate.
    So, that is how we got the deal we got!
    Great deal flash9. congratulations and enjoy your new van.
  • sonshinesonshine Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2005 Town & Country Touring FWD Signature Series (3.8 L V6 Engine) in Linen Gold, with the following included equipment and options:

* Included Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment System (including 2nd-row overhead 7" video screen, wireless headphones & remote control)
    * Included In-dash 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer
    * Included GPS Navigation System
    * Included Power Moonroof
    * Included Leather Interior w/2-tone accents
    * Included Heated Front Bucket Seats
    * Included Power Front Seats
    * Included Driver's Adjustable Lumbar Support
    * Included Luxury Front & Rear Floor Mats
    * Included Power Adjustable Pedals
    * Included Trailer Tow Prep Group (including load leveling & height control, heavy duty radiator, engine oil cooler, heavy duty transmission oil cooler, trailer tow wiring harness, and 600-amp battery)

Total List Price was $32,780
    Dealer's Offer was $30,881
    Added Secure Etch @ $349
    Added Sales Tax @ $300
    Added Closing Fees @ $599
    Added Elec Filing Fee @ $45
    Added Tag Fees @ $34
    Total Cash Due was $32,208
    Less Rebates of $2500 + $1000
    Final Cost to Consumer (me) = $28,708

I still have a hard time believing that I am paying almost as much for a vehicle as I did for my first house ($29,750 in 1979), but overall I am pleased with the cost as compared to Toyota & Honda listing the same options.

QUESTION:

I have ordered the following "aftermarket" add-ons by Mopar and have been quoted the following costs and labor charges. Can anyone tell me if there might be a way to save money on these items and/or on the labor?

ParkSense Rear Park Assist: $299 + $190 labor
    TurnSignal Mirrors: $199 + $160 labor
    Running Boards: $475 + $195 labor
    2nd Row Cargo Bins (2): $99 + $75 labor
    3rd Row Cargo Bin & Table: $250 + $150 labor
    3rd Row Cooler: $49 + $0 labor

The labor charges seem steep, and I still can't figure out what labor would be involved with the 2nd & 3rd row cargo bins.

Any advice here would be most appreciated!!

*Sonshine*
    I can not comment on the first three costs, but the Cargo Bins and Cooler simply drop in. You do know that when they are in their holes you CAN NOT fold the seats! One aftermarket item I feel is very nice is the molded mud flaps. I think the price was $38, and they were extreamly easy to install myself.
  • sibyllasibylla Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 TC Touring today with leather interior w/ heated power front seats. Paid 22999 plus the usual stuff. Total about 24800, financed through Chrysler which got me the extra $1000 rebate. The car was purchased in the Metro Atlanta area. I think it was a pretty good deal even though the current TC model is a bit outdated. My wife absolutely loves her new Brilliant Black TC and its Stow n Go seats and power doors, liftgate, everything.
  • bigc2bigc2 Posts: 1
    Maybe I'm a sucker but I couldn't resist the offer the dealer made on a base T&C. I walked out the door oweing 15,300 with nothing down and a reasonable interest rate on a 2005 brand new base model T&C. I'd like to think I hit about as low as they could go. Price before tax, freight, and tag and title was 13,750. Dealers in the area were advertising 12,999 but everyone seemed to have just sold there ad vehicle.
  • acclaimacclaim Posts: 2
    Hello, I am comfused with the sales tax.

I am going to buy a Dodge caravan.

The price on sticker is: 22840
    The dealer will give me: : 20840
    Dodge rebate: 2500
    Finance rebate: 1000
    Total purchase price: 20840-3500= 17340

How about the Tax? My state tax ratio is 7%
    should I pay:
    1) 22840*0.07= 1598.8
    or
    2) 20840 * 0.07 = 1458.8
    or