Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Just remember, you don't realy special order any RAV4 with Toytoa. You get what the dealer can get. And also, it looks like after this week, no more 2006 are arriving in the USA, just 2007.
  • tropics48tropics48 Member Posts: 3
    We just bought our first Toyota, which is a 2006 Rav 4 v6 4WD Limited. We got it for $25850, and it included a tow prep package, and a few other things like the mats and stuff. Is that a decent price? I'm always afraid I'm going to feel ripped off after I buy a car. I wanted a different color, but it seemed like the only colors in my area were silver in the V6, and the dealer was honest with me in the fact that they could put a "request" in for one, but that doesn't mean they'll get it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to driving it, I've heard a lot of good things.....
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    I don't know what part of the U.S. you live in but that is a good price. Was that before or after the taxes? We ended up paying $28,000 BEFORE taxes and that was after talking them down 2 grand. They are not making any deals. We did get a good amount on our trade though. They offered 7200 but we would not budge under 10,000.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    I paid $25600.00 for the RAV4 V6 Sport with moon roof and jbl and mats and side airbags and the cover for the back...but, they gave me at least $1500.00 more than anyone else for my trade...I was happy...I love the V6 sport....hate the dealership (King Toyota in Deerfield) as they tried to rip me off with extras...

Jimmy Drew
    We also got the side curtain airbags, JBL, mats, moonroof, cargo net and cover, rear bumper aplique, tow prep. The funny part is we had a huge nightmare with the "special order" that doesn't even exist, and they tried to offer us a 1 year free maintenance for "compensation". Turns out they were offering that to ALL purchases for the month of August. Just goes to show how much they lie to make a sale!
  • cjosephsoncjosephson Member Posts: 24
    You can never trust the dealerships.They are out to make money. Your only hope is to get out with your shirt still on. I just got a call that the Pacific Blue is available after all. My deal was $500 over invoice +++. If you can get a better deal that's great but these RAV4s sell themsleves and there is no rebates or incentives.
    So www.fitzmall.com is showing 2007 V6 RAV4s at invoice+$200.

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=010047&photo=FALSE&lo- c=LFT&mall=GA&year=2007&mk_code=TO

Carmax is showing 2006 V6 at about $100 under invoice.

http://carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx
  • modrivermodriver Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for RAV4, 4x4, base model, v4 with the 3rd row seat option in Kansas City, MO. Walked away from one dealer who still wanted $1000 over invoice. I can only find one other like it in stock at a dealer in the state. With the 2007's arriving in a month, will dealers still be getting in new supplies of the '06's, or will that start to drop off? I feel like I stand a better chance of getting a good deal on an '06 than an '07, if I can find what I want.
    2006 is over except what is coming in this week. Dealers are getting and selling 2007 now. At www.fitzmall.com prices for 2007 and 06 are only a few hundred apart.

If you do build and price on RAV4 at Toyota main site and use zip 34423 you will see SE region cars in or coming in. 2006 is down to two from almost 900 3 weeks ago. 2007 was 210 a week ago and is down to 88 this AM. By the way, 3rd very hard to find.

Fly to Md and drive your RAV4 home from Fizmall and save $1200 less airfare and gas. You will still be $1000 ahead.

Lots of people have done it here.

Good luck
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    I saw a 4cyl with 3rd row last week at Reinhardt Toyota in Montgomery AL (www.reinhardttoyota.com). Their inventory shows it as a 2wd version.
  • stvxensonstvxenson Member Posts: 1
    If you are willing to take an '06 and pick a car from the dealer's lot you can work out a great deal. I just got an '06 Rav4 Sport V6 with side air bags, 6 disc stereo (not the JBL one), floor mats, and the cargo tonneau (spelling?) for $73 over invoice.

Granted I had to walk out of the dealership to get the price but in the end I did get my price. ;)

However the dealer tried to tell me the mats and tire cover weren't included in the price (dealers can be such pricks sometimes). Luckly the sticker had the floor mats on there and I simply showed them the car's std features for the tire cover.
  • mattmillmattmill Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 2006 Base AWD for $21560 in Everglade Metalic but some of the options were not listed here for invoice pricing.

We got
    DR Roof Rails and Cross Bars
    AA Styled Wheels
    GY Curtain Air Bags
    RL Daytime Running Lights
    CF Floor Mats
    MF Mudgard
    EF Rear Bumper Applique

I didn't see info on the MF and EF

I think we got a good deal but I guess you are never quite sure until it's all said and done.

matt
  • jorgeorgejorgeorge Member Posts: 22
    I think you got a good deal ... it seems better than what I got.
    I got a base 4cyl 4wd, silver metalic, with same options except I got the all weather rubberized floor mats and rear cargo liner, but didn't get the MF or EF.
    My price was $22,500.
    So I think you're price is pretty good. Wish I would have held out for lower.
    So this is an internet offer I got roughly 12 hours after I sent it out. I think the price is pretty good. They do have a high processing fee of $275 but overall not a bad deal I would say. They only have one Sport V6 in stock. Dealer is in MA. This is the lowest price I got so far by about $800.

I took out the sales person's name. I think it is ok to post the rest of the info here.

Dear Jim,
    My name is XXXXXXXX Internet Sales Manager with Expressway Toyota.

It is my pleasure to inform you that we have your new 2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 4wd, available that you requested; MSRP is $27933 and invoice is $25601. the Rav4 Sport V6 4wd only comes with preset (or "married") option(s) from the factory. this is how they will come for the entire region.

This Rav4 Sport V6 4wd includes these Additional Options, in addition to standard features:
    50 State Emissions
    AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/ 6 Speakers, and MP3 / WMA Playback Capability
    Daytime Running Lights
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. Towing Capacity - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan Coupling, Alternator, and Pre-Wiring
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat
    Mudguard

Your internet price is $25244 (rebate included in offer! - see below for more info!)

Things to Know about your request: This white V6 rav4 is instock and ready for IMMEDIATE delivery. I've fully discounted this vehicle $2689 from the MSRP!!! Call now, others are receiving this same offer as we speak - dont delay!!
  • rey2189rey2189 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Diana,

Where in SF did you get your 07 rav 4 sport 4 cyl $300 over invoice? And how much did it cost you? Would you know if they have more in stock and available colors, or did they have to order yours?

I live in monterey.

Thanks.

Rey
  • redtrain75redtrain75 Member Posts: 15
    We got the base model (Everglade Mist color I think is what they called it...)(4 cyl.) with roof rack, spash guards, 17 Steel wheels, Taneau cover for $21,100. The dealership here in Central Ohio had 9 on the lot with only two base models, one sport and the rest were all Limited with varied options. THey gave us a good amount for our trade in and were nothing but great. This is our first Toyota. When we saw it at the Auto Show we loved the bigger size and decided that this was what we would get. So far (600 miles on it) we are averaging 24.8 mpg with about 60% city and 40% highway. I guess I was hoping for a tad better mileage.
    2006 is over, the only 2006 you will get is what you or your dealer can find. Third row very hard to find I think
  • tommatomma Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to trade in our 2003 RAV4 4x2 base model. We recently test drove (in Massachusetts) a 2006 Everglade Metallic RAV4 4WD V6 with the all of the standard options, plus 3rd row seats, tow package, Curtain and side airbags. We loved the power of the V6. The MSRP was $26,369 and they have gone down to $24,394. They are also offering us $13,500.00 for our '03 rav 4 with 32,000 miles on it. We only paid $17,500 4 years ago. I think this is very good deal...Any thoughts?
    Wow. That sounds like a good deal to me. That is the color we have. We have only seen one other in that color in our area.
  • tommatomma Member Posts: 2
    We ended up buying it, will be picking it up on Friday. We worked the price a couple hundred lower. Can't wait to actually get it home. I didn't think we needed the V6, but after test driving both 4 and the 6 back to back, there was no choice. The V6 has great power and living in New England with crazy weather and even crazier drivers, I realized the V6 4wd was the way to go!
  • robwar1robwar1 Member Posts: 11
    Hey Stvxenson:

Looks like you are a great negotiator. I'm curious to know what you ended up paying in the end. 'Invoice' can mean many different things, depending upon whether they stick you for advertising costs, dealer hold-back etc. I just bought a Base RAV4 V-6 with married options: tonneau, net, tow pkg, base stereo, carpeted mats plus the optional side/curtain air bags for a pre-tax price of $24,300. This was in August on Long Island. Whadda ya think?
    Can anyone tell me what changes/improvements have been made, if any, for the base Rav4 for the new 2007 model year?

Thanks! :)">
    I have heard indirectly that there is nothing different between 06 and 07. The 2006, if you remember, came out as a late 2006 so that might be part of it. I have heard that the fuel economy EPA numbers are lower, but, that is the government redoing how they arrive at the numbers, NOT, that the engines or anything about them have changed. The 4 cyl for 06 was listed at 24/30 and for 07 is listed at 23/28. They are trying to simulate real world driving and be a little more accurate.
    Thanks Redtrain75.

That makes a lot of sense. I have found that my mileage has been slightly less than quoted by Toyota, by about 2 or 3 mpg for my 2006 V-6. I'm averaging about 25 mpg overall. I'm loving it, though!
    Side curtain airbags will now be standard versus option in the 06. That's the only change I have heard of.
    ...which also makes sense. I paid about $650 for that option. I wonder if they will increase the invoice price by that amount...it's a must-have, along with the ESC which was standard on the 2006.
    Yeah bastards added it as standard for 07 which sucks for us who bought it as an option for 06. The insurance institute for highway safety was dissapointed when they did the crash test for the 06 that it wasn't standard. I guess they got smart for the new model year. And yes, I think they will tack on the price, but it's good either way for safety right? :)
    I don't kmow why they are bastards. You paid $500-to $600 for it as an option and for 2007 they put it in as standard and raised the basic price by the same amount. What is wrong with that. Other that raising the price of the JBL system because they added bluetooth and Sat radio compatiblity it looks like the bottom line price for a 2007 is the same as 2006.
    Because they should have put it as standard and not an option. If for no other reason, to ensure safety of all people because there are those that did not get it as an option. Just my opinion. :)
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    This is getting funny. I suppose the government is a [non-permissible content removed], too, because they haven't passed a law requiring you to wear a helmet while driving. Geesh...This is still a free country where most of us enjoy having options instead of mandates. If you want head protection, wear a helmet. It works better and is cheaper.
    Ok yall, I retract my statement that they are bastards regarding the side curtain airbags. But I whole heartedly stand by my statement that it should have been standard all along, simply for safety factor. Though I appreciate your suggestion on wearing a helmet while driving (if that makes you feel safer, go on ahead with your bad self and wear one) I respectfully disagree with you that it would be less of a free country just because air bags are standard. I very much enjoy having options, but I do not have a problem with things that make myself and others safer. :shades:
    I have just been informed by my dealer that the RAV4 4 cyl Limited we requested in the Pacific Blue is in! It took 4 weeks to arrive. The only options I requested was the upgraded JBL system. I did not request the Toyoguard. Seemed to be a waist of money. The deal is for $500 over invoice. How much should I be paying for this vehicle? There is a $650 destination fee and $599 processing fee. I believe the processing fee is negotiable. The invoice price on a printout has a price of $23,372 and MSRP of $24,596. Is this a fair price? I'm heading to the dealership this weekend for final negotiations. Any tips?
    cj....Fair price is in the eye of the beholder. Go to www.Edmunds.com and find out what the true MSRP is for your vehicle. Realize that some dealers are asking more than the MSRP. The lowest prices I have found are at Fitzgeralds Auto Mall in Maryland. Check out their website at www.fitzmall.com. The vehhicle you are talking about would sell at Fitzmall for around $2000 under the MSRP. Good luck with your purchase.
  • bsaylorsbsaylors Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I just got a quote from the Toyota Dealership on a 2007 Base V6 Rav4 with Daytime Running Lights, Roof Rack and Crossbars, and Tonneau Cover for $22,803. He says that their base with no options on it costs them $22,531 however i checked kbb.org and edmunds.com for the invoice price and it shows up something close to $21,200. Is he just taking me for a ride or is this true? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    I would think that is a fair price, especially for a Toyota. I got $600 over invoice for a basic base model thru a dealership that does business with the fleet department I work for.
    Well if it an option they are letting you decide how to spend your money. You like bigbrother to just spend if for you huh?
    Evergreen,

Thanks for the reply. Yes,I've checked all of the car websites and I have both the invoice and MSRP prices. I'm coming "armed" to the dealership with the "folder" that contains all of the pricing and research materials. The agreement was $500 over invoice. I will let you and all know how it goes.
    This is an e-mail offer I got from Fitzmall today. I deleted the salespersons name per the Edmunds rules. I have done lots of shopping on the net and at local dealers in NY and this is about $400 under any price I could find.

Dear Jim -

Please forgive my delay in getting back to you, I have been in a Toyota training event out of state the first half of the week and I am still trying to catch up with e-mails, etc.

A typical Rav-4 Sport 4x4 V6 with the following equipment:
    FE - Fifty State Emission Package
    EJ - JBL Upgraded Audio System
    CD - Cargo Cover
    GY - Side Air Bags
    RL - Daytime Running Lights
    SR - Power Moon Roof
    TO - Tow Prep Package
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats

will have an MSRP of $28,489 and an Invoice of $26,134. Our Delivered Internet Price would be $26,134 plus tax, tag fees, and processing. If you pay cash and opt to do your own tag and title work, you would pay us $26,153 ($26,134 plus $19 for temp tag and tire tax) and pay the balance of the tag fees and sales tax to the appropriate New York agency, and the processing fee would be waived. The pricing for the 4-cylinder model will be similar to the one that we discussed earlier.

At this time, there are no Flint Mica V6 Rav-4 Sport models available in any dealer's inventory in the five-state Central Atlantic area; they are only a very few in the four-cylinder model. I would be happy to order one for you. A Rav-4 factory order for a standard package can take from two to twelve weeks, with four to six weeks being typical. If I can find a vehicle in the inventory of another dealer, I can usually have it here in a matter of one to two business days. Once we have the vehicle here, we can set up a time to meet at BWI, Dulles, or National airport or at Union Station (Amtrak). You can complete the paperwork, inspect the car, and take delivery at the airport or train station.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and how I can best be of service to you.

Warm regards,

XXXXXX
    Fitzgerald Auto Malls
    cj...I wouldn't focus as much on "invoice" as I would on MSRP. Invoice means different things to different people while, I think, MSRP is the same for everyone.

An example for a RAV4 Sport 4WD 4cyl;

The actual dealer cost is 20,966 but most dealers aren't up front enough to tell you.

Edmunds invoice is 21,680. This consists of the dealer cost(20,966) plus dealer holdback(476) plus wholesale financial reserve(238).

Fitzmall's invoice on this vehicle is Edmunds invoice plus advertising (440) plus gas(10).

Other dealers may throw in a lot of other fees so "invoice" is not a very reliable figure to use when comparing prices.

With the above vehicle, when the options and transportation costs were added in, the MSRP was 25,909 and the Fitzmall invoice was 23,881. In the e-mail I received from Fitzmall, it said their internet price was 23,881, the same as invoice, but their website said the internet price was 24,081 or 200 above invoice. Maybe the website was out of date.

The bottom line is that Fitzmall was offering that vehicle around 2,000 below MSRP. If you found that same vehicle at another dealer, they might tell you that their price is 100 under invoice which sounds better than the Fitzmall price. However, if they have added a lot of things into their invoice, their price could be hundreds more than Fitzmall's price. Soooo, don't get fooled by how much above or below invoice a car is selling for. Check how much below MSRP it is selling for.
    Well if you can buy one for the Edmunds invoice let me know. I have shopped lots of dealers and the TDA or something like it is always in there.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I agree Jim, but it is a rather new phenomena. My last 4 new cars ('87 thru '04) were all $200 over the Edmunds invoice. Probably the manufacturers way to pass on more costs to the dealer and then the customer. The only point I was trying to make that "invoice" is not a constant like MSRP so it's better to compare prices relative to MSRP than invoice. Also, I haven't found anyone who can beat Fitzmall and I probably won't. The guy that responsed to my e-mail to Fitzmall has been very upfront and has answered all my questions. Sounds like your guy has been the same, maybe even more so. My guy said it could take up to 6 months to get a special order. Your guy was a bit more positive. It probably varies from case to case. Anyway, keep us informed when you get your RAV.
    Well after talking to lots of people on the net and at dealers, a special order never comes. If you order a car configured they way the region brings them in you will get it. If you order one that is not per the region list as shown on the build and buy for your zip code, you never get it unless the dealer trades out of region. And they have little motivation to do that unless your paying much more than invoice.

In the east it seems you can get a car for close to the Fitzmall price but not beat it. But their price is good enough for me.
    I guess that explains why our dealership was not very willing to go find the Red Sport model that I really wanted. Not making a ton of money giving us a base model under sticker already.
    Well if you are trying to get a car that the your dealer does not have but is configured per the region, usually they can find it for you in the region and trade. They can quickly look up what is coming in to them or is in and to the region.

It is a shame that the public does not have access to the Toyota "coming in list" on the net as it would save lots of time.

I have found it pays to spend a little time with your dealer. Talk to a mature salesperson who makes sense. Some of them just bop around and act like fools and know little about the details of the cars. Such as "We can get you any RAV4 in two weeks cause they are built in Tenn. now."

Once you find one who seems professional talk with that person and get them to find what you want. Some of them get paid by the number of cars they sell each month so they want to sell. Read up on the prices and options etc before you go. If they see you know your facts a real salesperson will usually get serious real fast.

And if you go to www.fitzmall.com you can get a RAV4 for $200 over invoice most anytime. You will have to accept what the Mid-Atlantic region brings in but they are usually well equipped.

Good luck
  • gujuguygujuguy Member Posts: 19
    You and evergreen summarized everything that I learned during my quest for RAV4. After 2-3 months of research the lowest I could get was 2700 below MSRP or 200 below regular "invoice" and 200 above Edmunds "invoice" of the car that I wanted (v6 4x4 limited with side airbags and moonroof for 26000). The guy is not a dealer but gets the car from pool of dealership. Sorry I just knew him through my friend so I dont have any detail about him. I only know that they operate from queens, NY.

Funny twist to the story is that now I am waiting for 2007 Sienna. Yesterday I got a chance to explore Santa Fe in detail, and the car interior is far nicer than RAV4. The difference was as contrasting as Accent and Lexus. Sometime I feel like to get Japan quality and newer engine, I was compromising so much. Now I hate RAV4 interior. On top of that no leather "available".
  • suvgalsuvgal Member Posts: 39
    Could you e-mail me or post which dealership? You bought something similar to what I plan to and I am in Central Jersey as well. I can't seem to locate any dealer with in-stock V6 Leather.
    I am planning to buy a Limited 4WD 6cyl. There are only two on the list of 38 vihicles in the inventory at Tongo Toyota in Los Angeles. They both have leather. Go figure.

I have pretty much given up on the idea of ordering leather. There is a Coach Automotive fellow in my small town who does aftermarket leather, including heated seats, for most of the dealers here. His prices are about the same as OEM stuff and he has a lot more color choices. This will also give me the option of trying out the cloth seats and then, if I want to, I can get the leather. Reportedly, the aftermarket leather is thicker and softer than Toyota's. Anyone have any experience with Coach Automotive? I think it is a national franchise.
    Thanks for the info. However, I had researched all vehicles and we pinpointed the RAV-4 as what we wanted and what options and were PLANNING on getting one this coming spring. However, our Chevy van with very low miles was experiencing on and off transmission problems. In taking it to a transmission place he said it needed replaced and he would NOT drive it out of town and it will just die without warning. Ventures are known for this and a friend of ours just replaced his transmission too at 50,000 miles. So, we were backed into a corner, spend $2,400 NOW or replace it NOW before tranny died. So, I was at the mercy of what they had on the lot so to speak. I was not willing to gamble on the transmission as we had a ton of problems with the van over its 6 years of life and I just wanted it gone.
    Well Sunrise Toyota on long island, NY had a 2007 Limited V6 with leather last week. MSRP $30k+. By the way you can get aftermarket leather for $1300 and it is nicer than OEM. RAV4 with leather is like .1% of all RAV4s.