Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Need to replace engine

mmorgan60mmorgan60 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Lexus
Had my Lexus services before a trip and the tech did not tighten the oil plug after an oil change. Lost the oil and burned up the engine. Their insurance company is paying to fix it. What is the best option, a used engine, a remanufactured engine, a rebuilt engine or should I push to get a new engine?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    mmorgan60 said:

Had my Lexus services before a trip and the tech did not tighten the oil plug after an oil change. Lost the oil and burned up the engine. Their insurance company is paying to fix it. What is the best option, a used engine, a remanufactured engine, a rebuilt engine or should I push to get a new engine?

Not sure, but it seems doubtful that Toyota would still make new engines for a 2008 model. A remanufactured engine is essentially a rebuilt engine (just not the one in your vehicle).

Also, what will the insurance pay for?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would choose a remanufactured engine over a used one, or one rebuilt in the dealership. A reman engine will have a written guarantee, which is what you want. A used engine might be warrantied for 30 days on up to 6 months, but a 2008 used engine will have a good deal of mileage on it, so you are still taking a risk there. The insurance company might push for a used engine, and really I have no idea of the legal implications of what they can get away with.
  • Options
    rickkernyrickkerny Member Posts: 1
    I would recommend buy a low mileage JDM engine from Engine World Inc in Houston ( bestjapaneseengines.com)