Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Leased an Accord, but didn't drive off lot. Can I still cancel the agreement?

sm2004dsm2004d Member Posts: 10
edited October 2015 in Honda
I signed a lease last night for a 2015 Honda Accord EX, but when the salesperson was delivering the vehicle, I noticed several marks in the paint that were possible chips. They tried to get me to drive off the lot, but I didn't and they said they'll try to fix the problem.

If it turns out that they're giving me a vehicle with a defective paint job, do I have any wiggle room to get out of the lease since I haven't driven off the lot?

Comments

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Get a free accessory from the dealer. Besides that I don't think there is a wiggle room. You did not inspect the car properly before buying. Then you can spoil the dealers survey , too.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of people say the car isn't yours until you drive off the lot. Can't say I've ever seen any real justification for that, since you've signed a contract.

Still, there are ways to unwind deals.

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    stever said:

Lots of people say the car isn't yours until you drive off the lot. Can't say I've ever seen any real justification for that, since you've signed a contract.

Still, there are ways to unwind deals.

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?

I disagree.. the contract isn't completed until you take delivery and deliver funds. (not a lawyer, but I used to watch Perry Mason, when I was in diapers).

Go look at the car... Seems doubtful that it has a bad paint job, but if you aren't happy with it, refuse delivery and tell them you won't take it. You won't have to unwind a deal that you haven't completed.

You did the right thing in refusing the delivery of a car that you weren't sure about.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator