Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford has a flash upgrad package for the Mustang at www.fordracingparts.com

Mark
  • Options
    spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Yea - That was probably ours!

Actually Ghost Rider is sitting at home while we speak - took delivery on the 10th!

And we keep checking the garage to make sure it isn't all just a dream!

Damned nice car!
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Am a coupe man, myself. Would even pay extra for it if tables were turned and it was more expensive than the ragtop. :shades:
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I went with the SCT Excalibator II. Great unit, 3 programmable flashes IE 87 octane, 93 Octane, 100+ octane, plus factory flash. Unit also does data logging and can read engine codes. I would strongly suggest you flash you car if you add an intake and you have to for headers due to the 02 sensors being moved. My intake came with a warning that if you installed the intake without a tune you would damage the engine. Very bad to lien out the fuel/air ratio. The company I went with is out of PA called Evolution Performance www.evoperform.com and the tune he does it very nice.

D
    (06 GT - CAI, SCT 2, headers, cats, x-pipe, Borla, Hurst)
    378 HP to flywheel ;)
  • Options
    blackjacblackjac Member Posts: 11
    funny you say that , i just purchased those mufflers(STINGERS)from summit racing they met the price @ muscleman motors, there was no handling charge since they were shipped directley from ford racing in michigan. they will arrive on monday the 24th. i paid 378.00 delivered and i had a 20.00 gift certifcate from summit so final cost to me was 358.00,a mufflere shop in ct, here gave me a price of 40.00 to install as long as the stock ones pop off with no problem. ive heared flowmasters on a mustang and it was dreadfull, they destroyed the growl of the car. a friend of mine put magnapak mufflers on and the sound was awsome,but they are more expensive. i hope mine sound as good if not better then those.
  • Options
    What the hell is cold intake, and how does it add horses?
  • Options
    All you doing is freeing up the breathing system with a performance air filter and a (ideally) heat resistant tube that runs to your throttle body. Really the style for the mustang is a short ram intake with a heat shield a truly colder air intake runs down into the body and away from the engine. This adds a much greater risk of sucking up water though, so for the few HP it's not really worth it.

By sending more air, a good amount of air, through your MAP sensor mounted in your intake you need to re-flash the computer so it can know how to correctly mix the fuel/air ratio. So you need a tuner if you’re going to go with an intake. Running on 93 octane you add 20 to 30 HP. Nice add for only 1/2 hour worth of work. You have to get the tune, especially on the GT.

The timing on the GT is retarded so it can run on 87 octane and really is not ideal for the efficiency of the engine plus the F/A ratio as I mentioned before is essential to have right. And if I may just add that the tune does other nice "fixes" IE changing the time till the AC clutch engages under wide open throttle with the AC on so the clutch does not engage at a high RPM. Bad for the clutch. Stuff like this. On the automatic it drastically improves the shift points, firms up the shift, and engages the torque converter a great deal better, especially of the line. Really nice for the automatic transmission. I know I had it on my ex 05 V6 auto.

Headers and mufflers is the same principle just on the out-flow. So you add your HP by enabling your engine to work less on inhaling and exhaling. I'll give you a link of exactly what you need right here on Ebay where I got mine.

D

link title
  • Options
    gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I am new to this tuning stuff also. Will a Jet Chip acheive any of the same things that your tuner does? If I buy a tuner, how do I know what the correct ratios/settings should be, etc. I think I need a "tuner for dummies" book. Thanks :)
  • Options
    ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know whether Ford is going to(finally) make a manual transmission available with the "Pony Package" Convertible for 2007?

For 2006, you cannot get the droptop with the manual and the Pony Package (idiocy).

Otherwise, I would have a Mustang in the garage right now.
  • Options
    No don't buy that piece of junk, that 50 cent resistor from radio shack. With the jet chip it just tricks the car to think that you’re pushing the gas pedal all the way down. What a joke! No HP gain on the dyno at all!

You will not need to program anything. When you buy the intake, especially packaged together with the tuner from the company on the Ebay link above the unit comes with the tunes from the performance shop. You spend about 20 min putting on the intake and about 1 min re-flashing the computer and you’re good to go. No need to tweak or do anything unless you are so inclined, which is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. Really quite simple; the unit also does data logging and reads engine codes which is a nice perk. The SCT Excalibrator 2 is what you want.

D
  • Options
    smaher007smaher007 Member Posts: 14
    That's wierd that you cant get a manual Pony package convertible. I checked the 2007 order guide (which you can find on this forum a few pages back) and it doesnt mention that condition, so you might have hope for 2007. Of course, for the price you'd pay for a Pony package convertible, you could just about get a manual GT coupe. I don't know how set you were on a convertible, but I'd go with the V8 every time!
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I did the same check last year and the order guide did have that restriction in fine print, and it's gone for 2007. Doesn't mean they can't put it back in, though.
  • Options
    Lavrishevo, thanks for the detailed answer.

Does putting in a cold intake and reflashing the computer void the warranty? Or, better put, how can you put in a cold intake and not screw up the warranty?

Are there Ford dealers who will to take responsibility for the modification?

I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I'd want a warranty for the cold intake and installation, someone who will repair it if it fails or causes problems, in addition to keeping my 3-year Ford warranty intact.

And what happens if you use regular gas with a cold intake?
  • Options
    The only warranty issue you'll have is if you have a failure that could have been caused by your mods. e.g. if you put on aftermarket wheels and the engine dies - it's covered. But if you throw a wheel bearing, that probably would not be covered.
  • Options
    Assuming that dealers are weasles and will try anything to get out fixing a warranty problem, I would think that that adding a cold intake and altering the car's computer would give them a pretty broad range of problems they could blame on the modification. After all, it does make the engine and drive train work harder, and makes basic changes to the electrical and fuel injection system. I can hear the dealer now: "Sorry, dude, you made the engine/car do things it wasn't designed for." :shades:
  • Options
    blackjacblackjac Member Posts: 11
    if u flash the computer , i believe the diablo predator has a yes or no ,for would you like to reset to factory specs? you have to flash it back to factory sets before going back to the dealer, problem with this is it might not run so good with the cold air intake. and the dealer isnt stupid hes goung to see the air intake system, what im going to do as soon as my stingers are mounted is to just put a K&N filter in the stock air box, there will be no problem with the warrenty or the dealer and i will get about 1/2 the hp. the cold intake would have given me .hell i could live with that
  • Options
    If Ford had any brains (and if they hadn't disbanded the SVT), they would offer a whole set of optional customizations, installed either by the factory or authorized dealers, including cold intake, superchargers, lower tighter suspensions, bigger disc brakes, etc. Doesn't the Scion offer all kinds of upgrades and doo-dads (not that anything could make those ugly critters look like real cars)?
  • Options
    If Ford had any brains (and if they hadn't disbanded the SVT), they would offer a whole set of optional customizations, installed either by the factory or authorized dealers, including cold intake, superchargers, lower tighter suspensions, bigger disc brakes, etc.

So now you're admitting that Ford has brains?

Ford Racing Parts Mustang Performance Packages
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I just read somewhere that SVT will "NOT" be disbanded.
  • Options
    Tomorrow, when I go into the dealer for a minor warranty repair, I'll ask the automatons there about cold-intake mods. Don't expect more than puzzled looks and muddled resposes. :shades:
  • Options
    Thanks for the info (and advice). I don't have any mods at the moment. I will look into the SCT excalibrator 2. Will I have to run premium gasoline?
  • Options
    I will look into the SCT excalibrator 2. Will I have to run premium gasoline?

Depends on the type of tune. If it advances the timing for maximum power then yes, you'll have to run premium.
  • Options
    As expected, the service dept. didn't know what I meant by "cold intake," and, after I explained it, thought it would likely interfere with the warranty, especially because it involves reprogramming the car's computer.
  • Options
    By law the dealer has to prove the malfunction was directly caused by the addition to your engine. So that is pretty hard on the usual stuff like alternator, water pump, a/c, suspension... Are you willing to take it to the next level is the real question? Adding 75+ HP with just bolt ons for less then 3 grand is a deal.

D
  • Options
    "By law," perhaps, but am I really ready to spring the dough for a lawyer and spend the time necessary to prove my point?

Listen, the dealer can't put the right oil in my engine; their mechanic for no apparent reason takes my GT for a 5 minute ride around the block, then stalls the car; and they put scuff marks on the exterior, grease on the seat. Under no circimstances do I want to get in endless hassles with these cretins -- I got a life to live. I'm just thankful to get out of there with 4 tires on the car! :sick:
  • Options
    I took my 01 GT and 02 V6 Mustang in separate occasions to get inspection stickers at my local Chevrolet dealer who also owns the Ford dealership where I purchased both of my Mustangs (the Ford dealership does not have an inspection station. Only the Chevrolet station has one). The idiot who did the inspection scuffed the plastic running board on the driver's side in one car and in the other car he put a dimple/puncture mark on the dashboard with the corner of his clip board while either getting in or getting out of my car. In the past I've had idiots at other dealerships do inspections with a big wadd of keys on the side of their belts. They ended up accidently scratching the side of my car with the keys as they were getting in and out of my car when the keys rubbed on the panel. It's taken 4 years of buffing and waxing to get 90% of the scratches out of the paint/clearcoat.
    Most Ford dealers don't give a [non-permissible content removed] about being gentle or about being careful to not scuff and scratch a customer's car. I notice scuffs and scratches very easy, but even when I ask the dealer to be careful with my car while it's in service or to get an inspection sticker, they still damage something. I hate this. You need to own a Mercedes or a BMW nowadays in order to have a dealer use care not to scratch and scuff the paint on a car. :(
  • Options
    You don't need a Mercedes or BMW. A Honda will do. They don't puncture, scuff, or scratch their customers' cars.
  • Options
    Hi, is it worth $250 for a K&N CAI? Will I notice any performance gains? Want some bang for the buck without getting too involved. :D
  • Options
    If you do the intake without the tune and I assume you have a GT you will set an engine light. You will be running lean, (to much air not enough fuel) On the V6 you can put an intake on and not set a code even though it is still better to correct fuel/air ratio. K&N makes a good product but don’t cheap out, it’s not worth it. Get an intake/tuner package from a performance shop.
  • Options
    I just had to take a convertible mustang down to a trim repair shop and wanted to share some advice i got.

DO NOT GO THROUGH A CAR WASH!!!!!
    The top requires way more rising then you will ever receive at a car wash.

Do not allow any bird droppings, tree sap, etc to sit on the top (ok obvious)

Do not put any type of treatment on the top while it is still new looking. Once the top is old and icky. The treatment isn't going to hurt the top further and it could make it look better.

Also I the piece that is attached to the windshield that the top latches to can be broken, do not force the latch.

I noticed that its easy to think you have the top all the way forward when there is still some to go. If you are struggling to latch the top, try hitting the motor button a little more.

Mark.
  • Options
    macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Be careful adding to much power to the 4.6L, sounds like the inside news is the superchargers are causing some real problems, like blown engines. Even the GT 500 is having trouble with the crankshaft holding up to the power, parly due to the torque on the harmonic balancer.
  • Options
    Ford needs to make sure that the internal engine parts on the V6 and GT Mustangs can hold up any added power.
  • Options
    jsmokejsmoke Member Posts: 3
    Did anyone catch the year/model that Patrick Kennedy put into the wall in DC while hammered? I'd love to get one just like it, but I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it. :sick:
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    You can see a picture of it here:

http://flapsblog.com/?p=2488

It looks to my untrained eye to be a late '90s green LX convertible.

With a whole slew of Dem. bumper stickers on it.
  • Options
    The car has the Horizontal Tail lights. This was on the 99 to 04 cars. Previous cars had vertical tail lights.

Mark.
  • Options
    "The car has the Horizontal Tail lights."

:confuse:

Are we looking at the same picture? Other info I dug up indicated that Patrick's car was a '97 Mustang.
  • Options
    The 1997 and 1998 Mustangs did NOT have Horizontal tail lights.
    They had Vertical tail lights like the green Mustang that's in the picture.
  • Options
    72chevelle72chevelle Member Posts: 8
    Judging from the ordering guide, there will still be no telescoping steering for '07 Mustangs. I was hoping they would add this feature, which is becoming more common and is needed for taller drivers.

Bummer....
  • Options
    jsmokejsmoke Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. Was it also a Mustang that Teddy (Manatee in a Suit) killed that poor girl in the waters off Chappaquidick?

An old Limerick:
    There was a young senator from Mass.
    Who was out for a strange piece of [non-permissible content removed].
    He lucked out and found her.
    Then f-ed up and drowned her.
    And now his future is past.
  • Options
    I've no idea what the esteamed senior senator was driving on that fateful evening; probably not terribly relavent to the topic.

Now, let's not go off the deep end by dredging up these old issues. We need to try and breath some new life into the current topic although I'm sure we'll get off with just a warning if we stray too far......
  • Options

Discuss.

Mark
  • Options
    Does it come in a coupe? Is there a link you might post about it? :shades:
  • Options
    Don't like the hood or the stripes.
  • Options
    Don't like the stripes, either, or the change in the lower front vent, with no body molding on the inferior edge.

Also don't like the wheels, rounded spokes. Prefer the flat snow-flake pattern seen on the optional solid aluminum 17" GT wheels and prototypes of the '07 Cobra GT 500.

Could live with the hood scoop, but only if it's real, only if it provides more air to the engine, not just cosmetic, in which case it would be a useless affectation.

Wonder what the pricing is. Wonder if there are any signigicant internal performance mods. :shades:
  • Options
    I believe the car that the senior senator was driving was a 1968 or a 1969 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 door sedan. And I believe that it was black in color. I remember seeing the car in a magazine clip many years ago as it was being lifted out from the water. There's a picture in a newspaper or magazine somewhere of when they were lifting the car out of the water after the accident.
  • Options
    I love it!
    Ford "FINALLY" put a damn side scoop and a hood scoop on the car. The new Mustang needed side scoops and a hood scoop badly. It looked "LAME" without them. I also like the side stripes and the Bullitt wheels. Maybe Ford will get it right with the next new 2009/2010 Mustang body design. Or maybe not.
  • Options
    Thumbs down is my vote. Don't care for the scoops or stripes. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Same here. I like the interior changes, but they can keep the exterior. I don't know which I don't like more, the stripes or the scoops.
  • Options
    I'd prefer a regular GT with the GT500 body panels. Especially the hood.
  • Options
    smaher007smaher007 Member Posts: 14
    Mustangnews has the full story here:
    http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews/st-0406-gtcs.htm

It says the price is $1895. Pretty steep, I wouldn't get it but I suppose it would be worth it for anyone who planned to hold on to the car for many years.