Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Thanks,

You said it better than me :) To tell you the truth, if Ford kept everything the way it was, just had the SVT priced at 35K base where it SHOULD HAVE BEEN, then the Mustang probably would have won. A 15K advantage would be too hard to pass up.

What you said is spot on pirate, at the prices it is today, only Mustang loyalits and fanatics (including collectors) will buy the car, its in over its head, even with 500hp the weight distribution prevents much of that power from bieng used.

Think about it, at 500 HP do you really think that 4.5 to 60 is enough? Id expect a bit less, am I wrong?

I won't laugh at anyone buying this car, its just that a mustang is a mustang, that means its not a 50K or near 50K car.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I'd have to agree with you on the price/performance issue. Between the body mods, stripes, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension and interior upgrades I think you may have around $5-6K in upgrades. That leaves about $10K for the engine. Not sure why they didn't just supercharge the 4.6L SOHC engine. Should be good for at least 400 hp with less weight and less cost and it would handle better. Then again I'm sure we'll see something like that as a Boss or Mach I variant - so maybe they're intentionally pricing this one high to leave room in the middle.

OTOH there are at least 2 (maybe 3) things that you get in the mustang that you can't possibly get in the Vette. Anybody want to take a guess?
  • Options
    1.) The Lights that you can adjust on the speedometer
    2.) 300hp V8 for 25K
    3.) A V6 option
    4.) The ability NOT to be rich or a rich families kid to afford one
    5.) VCT and an OHC engine
    6.) A rear seat

Did I get them all? :P
  • Options
    6 was close. It's passengers. 2 adults/3 kids in the rear seat.
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Dealers who sell Rousch's are offering a Rousch supercharger add-on for stock GT's for $7k ($5700 parts, rest labor), touted at 415 HP.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    6 was close. It's passengers. 2 adults/3 kids in the rear seat.

IIRC there is no center belt in the back seat so it's 2 in the front and 2 in the back. Oh, and mother-in-law in the trunk. :surprise: ;)
  • Options
    That's still 2 more than the vette, assuming the vette has room in the trunk for one mother-in-law.

The gt500 is obviously about the name and being able to brag about having 500 hp. A supercharged 4.6L w/a big brake kit, intake/exhaust, tuner and suspension upgrades should perform just as well (or very close) for about $35K or less.

I still think we'll see a Boss or Mach I in between the GT and GT500 that will be in the $35K price range.
  • Options
    icantfly591icantfly591 Member Posts: 13
    Hey, i want to put 3000$ into my mustang, but i want to see like 30hp gain's to the rear wheel. So what do you guys think i sould get?
  • Options
    Hey, i want to put 3000$ into my mustang, but i want to see like 30hp gain's to the rear wheel. So what do you guys think i sould get?
  • Options
    Cold air intake, cat back exhaust and a SCT tuner should do the trick, or come real close.
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I would suggest you do headers as well and gain closer to 80 HP. I was able to get all that was mentioned, CAI, headers, tuner, catback, mufflers, performance cats, X-pipe, and a Hurst short throw shifter for $2900 shipped to my house. Might need to spend a little more for install of the headers and exhaust but the CAI and tune can be done yourself in no time. Company called Evolution Performance out of PA does fantastic tunes.

http://www.evoperform.com/

Tell him Daniel from Atlanta sent you.
  • Options
    Did you see the Edmunds video on the 2007 911 turbo that does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds..... :cry: My gosh what did I buy a mustang for.... oh that's right that Porsche cost over 120 grand.... :surprise:
  • Options
    Do you guy's, know any good website's for mustang performance?
  • Options
    What are some good name band's that sell catback's, header's and x pipe's? And also how much hp will the 06 mustang get if you put some cams into it?
  • Options
    Dude didn't we just answer that 4 post up?
  • Options
    what?
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I'd first like to say that the Mustang is a great looking car and congrats to all who own one. I love the way the GT looks (with the fog lights in the middle) and sounds. I have a few questions for all who know what there is to know about the Mustang.

What's the difference between the GT Deluxe and the GT Premium?

Is the Mustang GT available with a Power moonroof?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I'm not an expert but I want to say the deluxe has less options on the instrument panel. Battery and oil temp. guage I believe. Plus I do not think it has the digital display of miles till empty, average MPG, MPH, number of fuel gallons used and so on. My premium came with an option called Mycolor. Has Red, Green, and Blue bulbs behind the instrument panel, you can change the color to whatever you like. It's actually kind of funny, you can make it pink, puke green, all kinds of wacky colors if you wish. So weird to look at a pink cluster. I also think the radio is standard Shaker 500 I don't know if this is true on the deluxe.

As far as the moonroof goes I want to say no, I have never seen or heard of one being offered but I do know they make an aftermarket one for the Stang.
  • Options
    See for yourself:
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/features/

Mustangs don't offer factory moonroofs.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "What's the difference between the GT Deluxe and the GT Premium?"

Well, the biggest difference is that the Deluxe has cloth seats - the Premium is leather......

Also, the Premium has the Shaker 500 sound system as standard equipment. It is an option on the Deluxe. And some other misc. stuff (but I think those are the biggies).

No sunroof/moonroof available on the Mustangs.

If you want the sun/moon coming into the cabin, you either need the convertible or go aftermarket.....
  • Options
    I don't think all Premiums have standard Leather. The chart shows Standard for both the cloth and leather sport buckets. I think it depends on whether one of the interior upgrade packages are included or not.
  • Options
    gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Premium includes leather (unless they changed it within the last few months)
  • Options
    That does appear to be correct. The chart is somewhat confusing.
  • Options
    jschmiidtjschmiidt Member Posts: 10
    I've been reading this forum for years now, but never posted. This one will be a bit wordy, but hey... I've held back for a long time!

After waiting so long for the frenzy to die down a bit, I figured it was time to make the purchase. With the '07's just coming in I went this past weekend in search of an '06 GT Premium Coupe, Dark Charcoal Leather, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Interior Upgrade Package, Satin Aluminum Insert Panel and 18 inch Polished Aluminum Wheels. Pulled all the inventory at dealerships in the Tampa Bay area off of fordvehicles.com and searched all the other major markets in Florida as well. (How did we ever get by without the internet?) Originally thought I'd like Tungsten Grey since I thought Mineral Grey for '05's and before looked killer, and it was a mere name change. Well I was wrong, and to me it had a slight purpil/lavanderish tinge I just couldn't deal with. There was a Redfire at this one local dealership (Bill Currie) meeting all my requirements except for 18 inch Premium fan blades. They were willing to put on the 18 inch Polished, sell me the car at invoice and give me $1,000 for my trade-in '96 Contour GL Manual, which only had a KBB value of $500. Awesome right? Well I decided to take a breather, told the guy I wanted to think it over, talk to my wife, and look around. I knew of some others available at nearby dealerships: Torch Reds, Performance Whites, Blacks, Tungstens and Satin Silvers, but none of them really 100% appealed to me. The only other possibility was a Vista Blue at Greenway Ford in Orlando, and I really wasn't sure I wanted to make the trip or pay extra for it to be delivered. Even though I already knew the local inventory, I decided to take a ride to Brandon Ford (one of the biggest in America) just in case there was something I missed, or something else I could settle on. Key word here is "settle". With little to choose from that met my requirements, and my dream of a bad [non-permissible content removed] Tungsten (which I thought was like Mineral) Grey down the tubes, I'd end up having to settle on something. I walked the lots at Brandon Ford and saw the same inventory I pulled; nothing that really grabbed me as being my dream car. I figured I'd go back to Bill Currie and settle on the Redfire.

Now, during my inventory search I pulled the sticker for a GT Premium Coupe at Brandon Ford that really did meet all of my requirements; except for the year that is. They had a 2007 GT Premium Coupe in Alloy Clearcoat Metallic (New color for '07) equiped exactly how I wanted; and with no cheezy GT Appearance Package or stripes. Absolutely beautiful and bad to the bone! Figured there's no way they would let this thing go for anything lower than sticker; especially since a brand new color and my research showed me this was the only one of its kind in the Tampa Bay area. I asked the salesman to check with his manager to see what it would go for; for a goof.

Well he came back with... " If I offer it to you at invoice, would you purchase it today?"

And that's just what I did! And my figures match what's on Edmunds...Base 2007 GT Premium Coupe $24,390, IUP $400, 18 inch Polished Aluminums $718, Destination and Delivery $745. There are, however, 2 additional items on the invoice (same at Bill Currie on the '06 invoice but I think for slightly different amounts); FDAF/LMDA Assessment (which I understand is something along the lines of a Southern Ford Marketing kickback) $420 and a $5.58 charge for the 2 gallons of gas that Flat Rock put in it. Grand total invoice $26,678.58. And they gave me the same $1,000 for my Contour. Now I know they made their money with dealer prep fees of $495 (not to mention Holdback), but they (and other dealers) were charging that on '06's. I could be wrong, but I feel I got a good deal. The one thing I do know is that I didn't "settle" on an '06. This '07 is my dream car.

Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    Own a '05 GT Premium silver coupe, loaded, manual, 2600 miles. Too many Mustangs on the road. Am getting an '07 Z06 Corvette. Look out Mustang, I'll eat you alive. :shades:
  • Options
    I guess it depends which roads you travel. I honestly see more vettes on the road, but who cares I wouldn't mind having one of each. Are you being ridiculed for being one of so many Stang owners??? There has to be other reasons to unload the Mustang at only 2600 miles. You must have a need for speed. Good luck and Bon Apetit. :)
  • Options
    marksermarkser Member Posts: 16
    Hey all....I finally got to see a new GT500 in person last night! It was in the dealers showroom and was a Black/Black/Black convertible without the Shelby stripes. WOW! It was awesome. Looked very mean and ready to run. The interior was leather and very close to my 06 GT Premium with IUP package in appearance. I really liked the steering wheel as it was more contoured than the standard mustang GT wheel. I love the wheels and would like to maybe put a set on my GT. The motor was very cool and impressive with the black supercharger sitting right up on the top. Then the salesman told me I could take it home for $70K! WHAT!?!?! I told him, you have lost your ever lovin mind......There is NO WAY in this world that I would pay 20 to 25K OVER sticker for ANY car! Even if I could afford it. I also told him that for $70K, I would go right down the street and buy a new Corvette Z06 and smoke that Shelby. Do not get me wrong...I LOVE my Mustang, by not $70K worth. Also, if I wanted, I could spend $10K wisely and have a car that is faster, quicker and handles beter than the Shelby or the Corvette.

All those "Gotta have it first" people out there are going to be paying a pretty penny for these cars. I still can't wait to see one driving out on the street, but unless I hit the lottery, I won't be seeing one in my driveway!
  • Options
    Screw the Z06, why not get the new Porsche 911 turbo, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.... yeah baby.
  • Options
    07 Porsche 911 Turbo - 0-60 3.4 seconds $123K
    07 Vette Z06 - 0-60 4.5 seconds $66K

I can think of $57,000 reasons to get the Z06.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    FYI: C&D got to 60 in 3.4 in their last Z06 comparison.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Are awesome.

They have the things that were missing on the 06's, for example, a cool engine cover "Powerred by Ford" written on it.

FWIW i would have liked it to say on top perhaps "4.6L CVT V8" we Americans can tout our technology too.

Also, and very important to me at least, the 07's have a hood scoop, which was very missing from earier mustangs. I knew they would put them in later, to keep the product fresh.

Meybe they will add a factory sunroof too. How about a Nav system? The latter is not a big deal since the car has so many other things going for it but would not hurt.

P.S. the dealer who wanted 70K for the shelby should be smacked :P
  • Options
    I thought so but that's what the Edmunds review said so I went with it.
  • Options
    Also, and very important to me at least, the 07's have a hood scoop, which was very missing from earier mustangs.

You must have seen one with the new GT Appearance Package (order code 54G for those interested) which adds a hood scoop, bright rolled exhaust tips and the said engine cover to any '07 Mustang GT. MSRP is roughly $245 and you can buy any of the three parts separately as an accessory.

I'll be getting an engine cover myself when/if I order one later this year. They're going for about $60 from the dealer right now and IIRC are on backorder due to popularity. Bolts right on to the intake and manifold of the '07s and '05/'06 owners can order a set of bolts to retrofit.

Not that anyone asked though. ;)
  • Options
    Exactly. That's the reason I'm getting a Z06, which, btw, is nose-to-nose with the Porsche 911. The 911 comes out a tiny wee bit better in handling and acceleration because of the rear engine, a better front-back weight ratio, but costs much much more. Also, imo, Porsches are ugly, pure cold German engineering, no sex appeal, while the new Vette is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. :shades:
  • Options
    macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Thanks, exactly what I have been wondering! I would order a plenum cover today if it's true they are 60 bucks (They look good and who can argue with factory original), the bright SS tips do look good and are $112 last time I checked.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I know somebody who ordered one and was happy that he "only" had to pay $15,000 over MSRP for it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    TRAITOR!!!! YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FROM MUSTANG FORUMS FOREVER.... POOP SHOOT PIRATE HAVE GONE TO THE DARK SIDE. LOL :P
  • Options
    I would order a plenum cover today if it's true they are 60 bucks

More info here.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    If is was going to speed 70K on a stang it would be a vintge one from the late 60s or early 70s. The price could go up the longer you own it while the 07 would go down in price year after year to some point where it would go back up, 15+ years.. Just a theory.
  • Options
    deserth8rdeserth8r Member Posts: 45
    I have a new shelby on order for MSRP, and while I understand that it is going to depriciate, just like every other car, it is one that I plan on owning for a very long time. I saw on Ebay that these cars are going for 60k+, which I would never pay, but I am young and can afford one for 42k, and maybe one day pass this classic on to one of my kids, which I have yet to have. I do not consider this car to be a daily driver, and could never use it as one, but Shelby isnt going to be around forever, so these will likely be about the last cars he has a hand in building.
  • Options
    Color me incredulous. I couldn't find a dealer who would sell at less than 15% over MSRP; thus gave up the search. How long before delivery? What was the final price after options?
  • Options
    It is through a military car buying service, have to be a servicemember overseas to qualify. I think I may get a small discount off of MSRP, but nothing really worth talking about. I will get home in October, and take delivery from a local dealer, one of the few perks of serving overseas
  • Options
    You deserve more, desert. :shades:

Am getting an '07 Vette Z06. Want more power. Want a sports car, not just a muscle car. Love my '05 GT Premium w/ manual, great car for the price (the Z costs nearly three times as much), but, let's face it, the Mustang GT excells at straight-line speed, not curves; the solid rear axle seriously compromises its hold on the road; and in 5th gear, at routine highway speeds, 70-80 mph, ~2-3k rpm, there's a drop in power, so that if you really want to rocket, you got shift down to 4th.
  • Options
    that z06 is awesome, but I know I couldnt afford one of those. I consider vettes more of a car that requires you to be in your 40s to own, and I have a few more years before I get there. I dont really even put it in the same class as a mustang, but it is a killer car nonetheless.
  • Options
    topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    pp- Let me get this straight- you're selling an 05 GT coupe with 2600 miles on it and paying $7k OVER MSRP for an 07 Z06 vette? WOW! You must have money to burn! Will you take $15k for the stang? LOL
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    shifting down a gear is a reason the ditch a car? :surprise:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    Beautiful car but Ford should give you a Viper alarm, LoJack, GPS tracker, and a Rottweiller as part of the theft deterrent system.

Down here in South Florida I'd only drive it with police escort......
  • Options
    May not 'ditch' it. Still toying with the idea of keeping it, seeing how much I take to the Z06.

It's not shifting down to 4th the bums me (actually like the roar of the engine when I drop down to 4th at 70-80 mph), as much as I want a car lighter on its feet, more responsive on curvy mountain roads. Hell, my old Honda EX, with 4-wheel independent suspension, handles better on curves than my Mustang GT Premium. That solid rear axle was a big mistake. I feel it bouncing up and down, loosing contact with the road. The Vette, by comparison, hugs road surface like a layer of tar. :shades:
  • Options
    It's funny now how you are bashin' the GT. I had a Honda EX and don't even know where you are coming from with that "handles better" statement.

Good luck with the Vette, but I can't take you seriously if you now start bashin the Stang after raving about it for so long. ;)

See you in the Chevrolet forums.