Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    I have decided to remove the rear spoiler from my 2005 GT convertible. Does anyone have a good suggestion about filling the rear deck lid holes with something that looks good? What about chrome strips across the deck lid?
    Any thoughts about a different deck spoiler?
    Thanks.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I personally think the car looks better without the spoiler. The lines are much cleaner and more classic.

Personally I think Ford should come up with more of a "duck tail" type of spoiler that extends in an upward curve from the front edge of the trunk.

This would be functional of course so would cost more to engineer. It would look better though and would be in better sync with the rest of the car's look.

Mark.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Thanks for the link. As far as I can see, it's just a lot of so-so trim (mostly not to my taste, overstated, vulgar), without a single real performance mod -- in sum, an excuse to sucker the starry-edyed out of two grand.

I would like Ford to offer: cold intake, a supercharger, beefed-up lower suspension, bigger brakes, a lower resistance exhaust, in other words, real performance upgrades, not just a bunch of doo-dads to part fools from their dough. :P
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    My mustang is V6. It did not have rear spoiler. I bought a spoiler and install it on by myself. I like the spoiler because of 2 reasons. First, I can see the rear when reverse the car. Second, the car look better with a spoiler. All my friends and my girl friend said that.
    Did you use the factory or after market spoiler?

Post a pic man :)

Mark.
    Dude, There are plenty of Ford Racing parts for the Mustang.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/performancepackages/performancepackages.asp

Ford even has three application specific kits. Check out the link above and be sure to hit the SPECIAL EDITIONS link.

Mark
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had any experience installing the stereo harness in order to connect an iPod to the Shaker 500 stereo? The 2006 Mustang Accessory catelog lists this as an aftermarket part that can be installed in the center console. It is activated by pushing the aux button on the Shaker 500.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    A diablo predator sales rep told me I would gain 10% increase in HP and 15% increase in torque with a 93 stock tune (with no other modifications). Is this accurate or sales talk?? :shades:
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the feedback. What spoiler did you buy and where? Was it already painted?
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    You can gain up to 30 HP and about 34 torque with 93 octane tune, and intake. You would gain less then 10 HP with just tune. But it would be well worth it even without an intake for an automatic trans.

Daniel
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    I bought it at www.sportwing.com . It is factory style, painted. The paint is perfectly matched the paint of my car ( performing white). It is easy to install. Just follow the instruction. If you want to see a picture of the spoiler, just visit the website.
    Tien Tran
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I would like Ford to offer: cold intake, a supercharger, beefed-up lower suspension, bigger brakes, a lower resistance exhaust, in other words, real performance upgrades...

They do offer that. When you order your car, just ask for the GT500 package. :blush:
    Other than warranty issues, has anyone had problems with cool air intakes? I'm trying to weigh advantages vs. disadvantages. Thanks :)
    You going to lower you MPG just a tad. Not that adding the intake inherently does this but more air means more fuel and more power means more fun, kind of hard to drive a GT like an old lady.

Daniel
  • christophchristoph Member Posts: 10
    I just ordered one today from my Ford dealer (for $100.) I'll let you know. I read on a different Mustang forum that many users have installed this option and like it.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Cold air intakes and cat back exhausts are some of the safest mods you can make, and generally increase not only power but also MPG (if you can keep your foot out of it).

The only risk is if you lower the front air intake to get more cold air - you increase the risk of ingesting water and hydrolocking the engine.
    Funny you should mention that. Just talked to another dealer today about ordering a GT500. This one expects MSRP to be about $50k with options.... and then they want another $30k on top of that as a markup!!! Sorry, but for $80k I'd get a Vette Z. :P

PS. Salesman said he'd call me when they get a supercharged Rousch, so I can take it out for a spin. He's trying to sell me on installing a Rousch supercharger in my GT, for around $7k -- one week in the shop (I bet), warranty supposedly uneffected (but he'll have to "check"), 345 HP at the flywheel (er, are there any objective reviews from a reliable source confirming that, sir?), and no extra wear and tear on the engine (sure, sure, just like rattle snakes make safe pets). ;)
    My dealer is getting 3 GT500s (at least) and they're already sold. The first one went for $20K over MSRP.

Considering the stock GT is actually putting out around 320 hp at the flywheel (vs. the advertised 300) I think a supercharger would increase it to at least 375.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    MSRP of the GT 500 will be right around $40K. Ford has already stated this.

But, I do agree. If dealers are going to start marking them up to $20k-$30K over MSRP, the Z06 looks mighty tempting (assuming you can get one of those for MSRP).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... He's trying to sell me on installing a Rousch supercharger in my GT, for around $7k -- one week in the shop (I bet), warranty supposedly uneffected (but he'll have to "check"), 345 HP at the flywheel...

You can get that with some charge motion delete plates, cold air intake, exhaust, and a retune. All the while saving a good $6,000. Your dealer is a scam.
    Yeah you should be seeing at least 425 HP at the flywheel running only 8 - 10 lbs of boost, I would check those numbers with them again. You can get almost 380 HP at the flywheel with just bolt on's, no forced induction. Isn't it nice how you can just turn your rear 02 sensors off with a tuner. Hint... hint.. ;)

D
    Do you guys think that the markup for the GT500 will go down and availability go up next year, once the feeding frenzy over the car abates a bit? (I'm perfectly willing to wait a year, as I'm digging my '05 GT Premium in the meantime.)
    Maybe I got the figures wrong; maybe the Rousch stage 3 will have 425 HP, not 325, at the flywheel. For some strange reason, whenever a car salesman talks to me, my hearing ain't so good. :shades:
    Do you guys think that the markup for the GT500 will go down and availability go up next year, once the feeding frenzy over the car abates a bit?

No doubt it will go down - the question is how much.

Remember when the Ford GT came out it was going for $225K with a MSRP of $160K. Now almost every dealer around here has one and they're selling at MSRP or just above.

Waiting a year will save you money but there's no way to know for sure how much they'll drop. Depends on how many are willing to pay that premium.
    You are assuming that the 2008 model will be the same car when it appears that it won't be.

2008 GT500KR?

2009 GT-R?

Expect the car to keep changing.

Mark.
    Let the world end, I don't care what happens, but if the GT500 ever gets to $45k or less, I'm buyin'. :shades:
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Ford will build 9,000 GT500s. IT took about a year for supply to catch up to demand on the regular Mustang GT. I'd say demand for the GT500 will oustrip supply for at least the first year's model run....probably more.

The real question is, with the demise of the Ford SVT team, will there be more than just one model year for the GT500?

Rumblings abound that the original $40K MSRP Ford had planned may be a pipe dream. Some rumors state that the GT500 may come in at closer to $50K for the MSRP. If that's the case, there are some mighty fine sports cars to be had at that price point....opening up a lot more competition.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229

SVT isn't dead yet. They are still alive, barely, and you'll see something new from them in the next year or so according to the latest press.
    Right. Latest word is that short term there will also be a truck of some kind (didn't say if it was a F150 or Sport Trac) in addition to the mustang(s). I think you'll also see mainstream factory performance models (probably called ST) which will be developed in the mainstream cycle. They can't afford to wait 2 years for a performance model every time a new vehicle debuts.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Not sure which truck but that is what was said by Fields himself. I saw this today which is good news on the SVT front.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    i like 'em.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • kferencekference Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2006 Mustang, Automatic V6 w/ Pony Package- Just wonder what everyone has been experiening as far as gas mileage. About 17mpg around town. Havent had it on a trip yet. Still only about 500 miles on it .
    Any input would be great, Thanks
  • alex197alex197 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had issues after installing any type of axle back exhaust. most of us know that the spanish oak processor is very sensitive to any change like when installing a CAI, headers, cats etc. but will replacing mufflers cause an issue with the computer?
    No issue at all because you are opening up the exhaust system past/post any sensors. The last sensor in the exhaust is the rear 02 and they are at the cats.

Daniel
    Have you personnaly heard jba's axle back exhaust? who do you personnaly think makes a great sounding exhaust thats not raspy and affordable.
    i heard your pushin 382hp with bolt on's, just wondering, have you put it on a dyno? what kind of cai do you have, have you had any driveability issues yet?
    Alex
    Yeah, that's how I got my numbers is from the dyno. JLT intake with 93 octane/sct excal 2. Kooks long tube headers, x-pipe, performance cats, Hurst short throw, and I choose Borla mufflers. I really like the sound of them and they do not resonate the trunk and annoy the heck out of you while cruising down the highway. I went with the “S” Style mufflers (PN 11752). They are not quite as loud as some of the others. The great thing also with the Borla is that they never crackle, stutter, or are raspy cold or warm. Driveability is great, your just 82hp faster ;)

Daniel
    I just installed a Diablo Performance tune in my GT. If I add a CAI, do I need to retune (buy a custom tune) or will the performance tune handle a CAI mod?
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    depends on the CAI. 99% of them require it.
    You dont have any sound clips that i can listen to do ya? I was wondering how that exhaust sounded, and do the tips come straight back or are they pointed down
  • marksermarkser Member Posts: 16
    Hey all, I am thinking about installing Sirius in my 06 GT Premium. I already have the Shaker 500 installed and have been told that if I want to replace the head unit with a Sat ready one, I will have to replace the amp and all of the speakers. So, to be a bit more cost effective, I am looking at the units that you can add to your existing head unit with an adapter. My question is this. Does anyone have recomendations on which unit to look in to? Also, if anyone has installed one, where did you install it? Is it coming from the transmission tunnel on the passenger side? Did you find a way to install is somewhere on the dash, or with a suction cup mount on the windshield? Also, where did you mount your antenna? I am getting tired of the crap that they call radio here in Atlanta, want more variety.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I don't have a Stang, but I can answer some of your questions.

I got the Starmate. Its a nice compact unit with a remote and some really nice features, and its inexpensive (less than $100).

You don't need to mount the antenna on the roof. I have found that simply placing it on the back deck under the rear window gets reception and doesn't involve mounting it. Then I just tuck the wire behind the seat and under the trim up to the dash. I've done this on 3 different cars, so its not car-specific.

The Starmate (this may be all sirius radios, i'm not sure) comes with a built-in FM transmitter, so you don't need to hook into your head unit if you don't want to. This worked great in 2 of my cars, but I'm finding the reception less than satisfactory in my new Honda, so I'm getting the plug in adapter. It will, of course, involve taking the dash apart, but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Of course, since I don't have the stang, I can't help you with mounting options. In my Volvo and Lincoln, I had it stuck to a barren part of the dash. In my Honda, I went a little more custom and installed it in the sunglass holder that flips down from the ceiling. Definitely love this install since I can just close the holder to hide it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have a portable XM in my GT. Bracket mounted to the left of the radio (perfect location). Bracket was included with radio. The antenna as a magnet that i simply attached to the rear view mirror and I get perfect reception. There is very little exposed wiring.
    I have not recorded any myself but if you go to www.borla.com and click V8 Muscle right there on the center you can hear a very accurate example of what it will sound like on your car. Seems to me the Borla products for the 05 and up GT sound almost exactly the same but one style is just a bit louder then the other. Yes the tips come straight back, they are big too. They look great, fill up the cut out perfect and are stainless so they shine beautifully.

Daniel
    Have a Sirius Sportster Replay, but never permanently installed it in my '05 GT, using it mostly at home. You might try Crutchfield.com, where I bought mine (it came with instructions on installing it in a car). You might also call Crutchfield directly with your questions: they seem to be pretty good in customer service. Their catalog shows it, and the XM, permanently mounted on the dash, to the right of the stereo console, which makes a whole lot more sense than sticking it to the window with the bracket that comes with the unit (I don't want anything blocking my visibility). :shades:
    Does anyone have JBA axle back exhaust? What do you guys think about that exhaust?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Ford Mustang and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new here to the mustang thread. I love this car, drove a 2002 GT convertable once, and it was a blast.

I would like to ask you guys a question, I just do not understand this new situation with teh GT500.

you have a 5K premium from v6 to v8, fine, but ford wants a 20K (almost) premium on the GT500??? What! I understand that right now they are selling like hot cakes, and its good from a business standpoint, but wasn't the lest Cobra at 35K?

I hope this car gets Ford lots and Lots of money, but the Mustang was alwayse uniquely American in that you got alot of car for your money, and the average Joe could spring for one.

No one else offers 300hp V8 at 25K, thats great, spot on Ford, but evenm with 500hp, when the prioce touches corvette territory its just not right in my book. This mustang was supposed to cost 35K (a 10K premium over the GT) and sell to younger guys who wanted to show that Doctor in his Corvette that you don't need an MD to rule the streets.

But at 43K its a whole different car. Look, I'm not saying its bad, BTW if it did cost 35K it would have won that C/D comparo, I know that there are huge premiums for GT500's now, but its just not cool to me, what do you think?

Also, if Ford lowers it to 35K you think they can sell 50,000 GT 500's in a year?
    Have a GT Premium w/ manual, loaded. I was hot for the GT500, talked to dealers, did research. Am now going to get a Z06 instead. The Cobra Mustang is for collectors and 'enthusiasts,' Mustang nuts, not people out for max performance.

Sept. issue of Car & Driver pits the GT500 against the comparably priced Vette C06. Guess which wins hands down? Am not going to get a front-heavy Mustang, with all kinds of stuff stuck on to a platform originally intended for a lower price, smaller engine. The GT500 is 600 pounds heavier than the original factory GT. Would rather get a car built for what it is. The whole idea of the Mustang, as you rightly said, is low-price muscle. Greedy dealers are making the GT500 a boutique item, something antithetical to the very idea of a Mustang.