Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Impacts, including but not limited to, rocks and road debris are never covered under manufacturer's warranties. They may be under your insurance, but I can't imagine filing a claim for such. There is a plastic cover, but I think many are placing an additional cover for added protection of the factory shield.

Ken
  • Options
    54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Well, DUHH, Toyota engineers!!!
    Did the corporate bean- counters dictate such a fragile lens on a relatively high-priced car? Did NO ONE at Toyota anticipate rock/debris damage to a fragile component in such a hazard-prone position on the car? Is Toyota now becoming the General Motors of the twenty-first century, now that they've captured the American market and perhaps don't have to give a tinker's dam anymore here, while continuing their attention to quality and detail at home, where such shoddiness is STILL not tolerated? I'm not just referring to fragile lenses, but, after following comments in this forum for quite a while now, I also mean doors which are jammed-shut, distorted glass, mis-aligned tail pipes, sloppy leather seats, etc. etc.etc...does this not remind anyone of the sloppiness which caused us to abandon U.S. auto makers in the first place??? Is anyone at Toyota of America reading these comments????????????
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I would say it could be a significant thing in making your day a good one or a miserable one.

I've read of two accounts of the Sienna XLE Limited (First Toyota vehicle to feature the DLCC) having their cruise control to be wiped out by some road debris, then not being covered by warranty and having to shell out $2000 to have an entire new laser put in. I also read the same with Lexus LS430 owners over in their respective forum with the same problem. Think of a it, a simple chunk of plastic could prevent a $2000 repair.

And no, the DLCC doesn't have a protective lens already.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I wonder if installing this product over your lens could help. It would be a lot easier to install and is supposed to prevent pitting of the lens and lessen the chance of breaking the lens. They sell this material custom fitted for the Avalon's headlights and foglights. You could inquire if you could purchase a small piece to do the laser lens or if need be, you could buy one that they make for motorcycle headlights for about $22.

http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=332&src=7543
  • Options
    I think Toyota owes EVERY purchaser of said laser lens an immediate, FREE retrofit of a better-designed lens cover. How cheap can they be, when these problems keep surfacing? Is there no pride in Toyota of America?
  • Options
    jcu1963jcu1963 Member Posts: 22
    Greg,

Please excuse my lack of mechanical aptitude. What is the surround?

Also, in looking at the lens more closely, I've noticed that there appears to be a space of maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the front of the lens and the back edge of plastic; perhaps this plastic is the surround you mention.

Also, when you say I may be able to "... tape it to the back of the surround ...," that has unfortunately confused me a bit more as to the meaning of surround.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Pete
  • Options
    05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    In my opinion, if a rock or some other road debris wipes out the DLCC so easily, then this is clearly a design flaw that should be covered under warranty. Especially when the damage could have been easily avoided by a simple plastic shield.
  • Options
    avalonkittenavalonkitten Member Posts: 20
    Hi Perico1,

Yes, they were able to fix it. They did not have the piece initially but got it on my second visit and installed it. It is a plastic sheath that covers a screw and holds it in place. It was definitely too small for the hole it was supposed to have been anchored in on the left side. My understanding is that they got another one and inserted it into the frame hole and it held this time. The left side is now quite secure. The cargo net is oem from the toyota parts shop in the dealership but it seems tight/too small. I have had nothing in it but it has pulled/loosened the attachment point on the right side of the trunk now. I ended up taking the netting down because I did not want it to pop again. When I bought the new net it said it was the same one used for the 2000 Camry. I found that hard to believe because I kept the one from my Camry and it is wider and does not pull on the attachment knobs. Perhaps it is a quality control issue with the nets?

Good luck with it. :)
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    I gather you're not a 2005 Avalon owner. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    If your interested in reading about the latest survey see the link below.
    Here is the beginning of the article, interesting. "DETROIT (AP) -- Almost every automaker made significant strides in vehicle dependability in a new survey, J.D. Power and Associates said Wednesday. General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Co., the world's three largest automakers, were top performers."
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050629/autos_dependability.html?.v=6
  • Options
    What you read here are some who have had problems, a minority of owners, not in any majority at all. Calm down and don't over dramatize it more than it is. There are the rest of us with no problems at all, we love our Avalon. Maybe you should buy one.
  • Options
    avalonkittenavalonkitten Member Posts: 20
    Hi Moe9,
    I continue to experience it on a daily basis. I have been assured by toyota that they are not addressing the issue. I call at least once a week to see if they have changed their minds and to let them know I am still out here waiting for a fix. Their stance remains that car works as designed. There is nothing wrong with the car, this is according to the mid atlantic technical guru and the service managers at my dealership and the corporate customer service center (CA). They need to have a certain number or calls logged for the problem before they will even look into it. I encourage you to call the customer service number and let them know you are having the problem too. My service director refuses to drive the car with me, or evaluate it again. According to him they only have to look at it 3 times and say there is no problem then your only alternatives are to live with it, sell it or send it to arbitration. I suggest you make them drive with you until it happens, so that it is documented before they get to the magic 3x and then tell you tough luck/get over it.

I do have to share with you what my service manager told me .. you should be thankful you did not buy a Mercedes or BMW.. you could be out even more money hehehehe (yes, he really did laugh). :sick: : Somehow that did not make me feel any better...
  • Options
    I owned a new 85 Cressida for ten years, and my present 95 Avalon for another ten. I ALMOST bought an '05 Avalon this year, and eventually I will, after the kinks are ironed-out. Perhaps another year or so.....too much money at stake to put up with the kind of aggravation that after all, really shouldn't be, in my not-so-humble opinion....
  • Options
    gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Pete, in my context, the surround, or fascia, is the thingy that is painted the same color as the bumper that sits immediately in front of, and surrounds, the opening the laser operates through through the bumper.

Perhaps this highly technical photo will assist you:
    laser thingy

Good luck,

Greg
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    Question for those who have installed a protective layer in front of the DLCC. Does the thickness and other qualities of the layer affect the precision of the laser? Is there anything that I should be aware of before choosing the material? Also, should the laser fail, can I revert back to conventional cruise control, or does the entire system fail?
  • Options
    jj kellyjj kelly Member Posts: 8
    Just received Aug 05 Consumer report that is testing the redesigned Avalon & give a full report Sep 05.
  • Options
    gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Polycarbonate (Lexan) is very clear and is used in safety glasses. 1/16-1/8" thick should provide protection. It does not interfere with the operation of the laser cruise control function. Be sure the tape used to attach it does not block the active portion of the laser device. My tape overlaps the edge of the polycarbonate by about 1/4".

The cruise control is returned to the non-laser mode by pressing and holding the cruise control activator toward the dash, per the user's manual.

Greg
  • Options
    johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    For those of you who are looking for mud guards, I got this message today.

Hello John,

The 4Q2 mudguards show to be available today. Would you give me a call at 1-800-527-5368 if you are still interested in these. I can get your info and get them headed your way or you can mail me back the info. The set of four with shipping will run you $87.26.

Thanks
    Bill G.
    www.anythingtoyota.com
  • Options
    I've had my thin piece of plastic over the back of my DLCC for nearly 4 months now. No problem noted in performance.
  • Options
    So give us a synopsis. Did they like it? How did it do in slalom testing, general handling, braking, etc. Any negatives in the article?
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Article does not come out until the September issue.
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I installed a .093" thick clear acrylic (OPTIX brand) lens shield about 1/2" inside laser recess. It is glued to the small recess lip (lip is ~1/16" wide) w/epoxy glue. Acrylic is advertised to be 20X stronger than glass, shatter resistant and 10 yr against yellowing. I used tracing paper to trace out shape of recess and used trace as a template to cut shape from acrylic sheet. I cut piece a little oversize and used file and sandpaper to carefully custom fit to recess. I will be road testing shortly and will provide report.
    I decided to do this because of the reported $1400. replacement cost + my lens already had a couple of dings in it from road rocks.

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    I also owned a 85 Cressida wagon, own a 96 Avalon and bought an 05 ltd!

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    "FWIW, I got a phone call last night from Toyota asking my opinion of the "My New Avalon" CD. They wanted to know if I had received it (yes) and if I thought it was helpful (I told them I had never opened it). I think the webvsite is easier to use."

If you never opened it how can you say you think the website is easier to use? :confuse:
  • Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    I just turned over 1,000 miles on my Ltd. Took a trip on I-79 in Western Pa. traveled at 70 MPH (cruise for about 60 miles) 4 adults, A/C set at 73 and got 28.6 MPG. I'm getting about 24 - 26 in mixed driving, short trips of about 10 miles and something around 23 in stop and go 'city' driving.

I use Premium, Ultimate, super or whatever the station has that is 93 octane. the best trip MPG I get from my 2003 XLS is around 27 traveling the same route on the highway at 70. More Horsepower, bigger car and better milage...I can't ask for more at 1,000 miles. :)
  • Options
    "I installed .093 thick clear acrylic..."

Is that flexible vinyl-like sheet that is made for headlights? All you avalon owners should consider buying vinyl sheet protection for your headlights and foglights. It's cheap insurance against pitting and yellowing which eventually happens to all clear plastic headlights. I just replaced my headlights due to pitting on my 5 year old 300M. I could have avoided that if I had installed the protective vinyl. I bought the protectors recently and will install on my new HID headlights.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    ""I consistently get 28 - 30 mpg while doing 75 on the interstate. 23 - 24 around town."

MikeS -- and what mileage would you get if you drove through town?

Or put in another way -- are there any traffic lights, stop signs, hills in your town? Are you using your A/C these days?

I use 89 octane gas and can match your freeway mileage, but can only get 20 mpg in town, averaging around 30 mph because of traffic and hills and with my A/C generally off. Summer is just starting here, with max temps around 72 F on nice sunny days...
    havalongavalon "

I live in West Virginia, known as the Mountain State. So yes I have hills all around me. Although having been raised in California for 41 years I know what mountains REALLY are...Not these pesky foothills :D We also do have electricity and piped in water in our houses, with flush commodes. We actually have 30 or so signal lights in town.

The weather here the past couple weeks has been 90 degrees and dew points in the 70s. So yes, the A/C has been on full blast. I'm still getting that kind of mileage.

MikeS.
  • Options
    It is a rigid acrylic sheet material, it is not flexible at all. I cut the laser protective lens from a clear rigid sheet of acrylic 3/32" in thickness. It definitely is substantial. I used a 5 minute cure time two-part epoxy glue system to hold acrylic lens in place (glued lens carefully to laser recess lip). Road test forthcoming through the mountains..

I got an estimate from a detailer for ~$600. to buy and install a custom fit 6 mil sheet on total front end plus part way up the hood. Seemed expensive at the time but still considering... Open for any other sources more reasonable.

NWBLIZZARD

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    I had to drive my 97 Tacoma 4x4 to work tonight to help out a buddy. Boy is that sucker rough riding and noisy! The headlights are dim and so are the dashboard lights. Can't wait to get back into the 05 LTD.

MikeS.
  • Options
    ojorojor Member Posts: 10
    Hi Avalonkitten:
    I have the same problem with the hesitation at low speeds.Can not understand if the people in this chat room are not interested with the problem instead of what I consider to be lesser problems (laser vulnerability,mud flaps etc).Maybe it is just a problem that some people are experiencing.Sounds like I am criticizing those with other problems but it seems more pressing to resolve this problem with Toyota.
    Appreciate your thoughts.

mel
  • Options
    I got an estimate from a detailer for ~$600. to buy and install a custom fit 6 mil sheet on total front end plus part way up the hood. Seemed expensive at the time but still considering... Open for any other sources more reasonable.

Whew! Where are you located? Are there any other sources of protective film? I had 3M custom fitted to my LTD on the entire front end, hood + both mirrors = $275. Shop around.....!
    zekeman1
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    I've just ordered a Limited Pearl Avalon. One feature that several of the different cars I test drove had that I really liked was the back-up sensor that tells you when you are getting close to something. I noticed that this feature is not available in the Southeast states (which I'm in), but is an option in the Gulf states. Where exactly are the Gulf states and does anyone know how I could get the backup sensors on my car?
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    Where did you purchase the acrylic material? Have you notice any change in the performance of the laser?

Thanks,
  • Options
    sdajsdaj Member Posts: 6
    Your problem sounds just like the multitude of complaints on the Lexus ES 330 forum.
    Those owners have had the hesitation problem for fours years now and Toyota refuses to fix the problem. Toyota's standard line to them is 'it's works as it was designed'. That's NO consolation for someone who spent $30k+ and expected good value for their money.
    I wonder if the 05 Avalon is using the same transmission/software?
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Gulf states and Souteast Toyota are independent Distributorships of Toyota. As such they have "factory" options that are not truly from Toyota directly, just from that distributorship. This can be both good and bad as you can get equipment on the vehicle that would be covered under warranty but some don't add alot of value to some customers. The backup sensors can be installed at most auto custom shops now on pretty much any vehicle. So if they don't have it available as a PPO option where you're getting your car, make some calls, but make sure you're working with a reputable custom shop as someone without experience can do a "bang-up" job on a bumper if they don't know what they're doing.

Toyota Ken
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    My wife and I are getting about 26 mpg 50/50 combined city and highway with 152 miles on our new Avalon XL.
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    54gradsteds, you wrote:

"I also mean doors which are jammed-shut, distorted glass, mis-aligned tail pipes, sloppy leather seats, etc. etc.etc...does this not remind anyone of the sloppiness which caused us to abandon U.S. auto makers in the first place???"

Sorry to hear this is your observation. So far my wife and I have only had 2 issues with our new Avalon, a small blemish on the dashboard and ever-so-tiny scratch near the shift lockout on the shifter bezel/cover. Although I do not discount the people who have reported the other problems, after two weeks of ownership we feel like the Avalon XL will be a very dependable car for us. We're willing to bet our money (and time) on it. Personally I can say it's nowhere near the cheapness in quality that I find in the big three American auto manufacturers, whose cars I rent on business trips about 3 times per month.

Oh btw, on my last rental which was in Pittsburgh, I had aToyota Corolla. I returned from that trip wanting to buy one - the more I drove it, the more I loved it :)
  • Options
    When you say you've had a "thin piece of plastic OVER THE BACK OF MY DLCC," could you be a bit more specific on what you mean by over the back?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Oh, sure. You know that... uh... can't figure a word right now. That thing that you pull out in order to access the main laser? It's hinged. It looks like a...something like a box.

I duct taped my piece of plastic to the back of this "box". Here's the website again if you want a better reference. link title
  • Options
    littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    ATT: koondog
    Park Pilot Backup Sensor is available at:
    [sales@anythingtoyota.com]
  • Options
    I appreciate the explanation and especially the photos. Quite honestly, with all of the posts the past week or so on protecting the DLCC lens, this is the first time anyone has mentioned anything about a hinged access to the main laser. Just where and how do you gain access to this "box"? From what it seems in the photo, it would appear to be not from the front bumper area but from behind the laser. Or, it could be my non-mechanical upbringing showing again!!!

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. It is surprising how many posts have appeared lately and how many different approaches to this problem have been discussed.
  • Options
    Actually, from what I seen, the Sienna Limited, Avalon Limited and LS430 that has the laser has the "box" on the front end (aka the bumper). On my Sienna, one end of the box, as you see in the picture, is hinged with the bumper. The other end has 4 prongs that fit into the spaces in the lower air dam. It snaps into place. For my opening of the box, I had to stick my fingers into the air dam and release each tab until all four were released and I pulled out the box.

Perhaps I'll post some pics of these prongs later.

EDIT: I'm sorry this is a bit big.

Ok, the regular DLCC with my Sony plastic shield

See how I stick my fingers into the air dam?

You see these prongs on the right? I had to pull these to release the "box"

See the red arrow? It's pointing to where the prongs of the box hooks on to when it's snapped in place.

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    mrsrbmrsrb Member Posts: 1
    I've also received estimates of $600+. May I ask which state are you from? We're in Cal.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Excellent illustration of the way you did this!
  • Options
    I'm in central Kansas; granted, labor here is probably less than CA but that's still a pretty big stretch. The material really does protect the finish and it's a cinch to wash bugs off, almost like teflon. Only alternative is to buy it yourself and install; I watched them put some of it on and frankly, I'm glad they were doing it. :)
  • Options
    June Sales. "Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever June sales of 96,755, up 12.5 percent over the same period last year. The all-new 2005 Avalon full-size sedan enjoyed sales of 9,134, up 183.1 percent. The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan posted best-ever June sales of 9,622, an increase of 119.3 percent". For all of the report, see the link below. Well my friends you can now see Avalon is setting a record this year, so feel good having a winner. The sales are now over 41,000 Avalons so far since February, 5 months of sales, less 10 days. They are on their way to beating their estimate of 85,000 2005 Avalons. I believe they will hit around 100,000, almost three times the 04 if my memory serves me well. They sold more Avalons than the Prius as above even though the Prius is a hot car and well received. So some might have some problems with their car but I believe the majority are serving their owners well, and many of them don't post here since they have no problems to report.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050701/laf038.html?.v=13
  • Options
    yurikyurik Member Posts: 18
    I have the same transmission problem as well. When my first oil change becomes due, I will address this issue with the dealer. I am planning to give them 3 chances to fix the car, so I can go to arbitration. It is a major minus for otherwise fine car.
  • Options
    riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    Started looking at ES 330 in Feb but changed mind to new Avalon. Could not locate what I wanted so in mid March ordered '05 Limited in Cassis Pearl with light gray leather,NAV,VSC, Laser Cruise, and carpets. Dealer said realistic wait was 10-12 wks which turned out to be true. Car arrived June 15 with only items ordered, no dealer tack ons and verbal quote with $500 deposit was honored. Exhausts lined up, tire pressures at 35 which I like, books in nice zippered case, CD in vehicle. Five days after delivery with 300 miles on odometer we left on a trip thru upper MI, across Canada, down thru Montreal then New Hampshire, on to Harrisburg, PA, then back to midwest thru Chicago for a total of 3,150 miles. I calculated true mileage of 27.9 mpg overall. Speed was usually about 10 over posted 55 to 65. Best leg was 30.47 mpg on 4 lane hwy with a 55 limit. Poorest was 24.2 for 292 miles sightseeing most of the day in an urban area. Lots of starts and stops. Only 87 octane gas was used. Lots of power. Car rides nice and quiet, transmission is smooth, a/c vents are easy to adjust, cooled seats were great in 92 F heat. Seats are comfy. Do not feel the seams. The Nav is great but takes some getting used to. Laser cruise is ok but not my favorite option. It follows the car ahead at slower than set speed but pull out with clear lane ahead and the car shifts down to 4th, then quick to 3rd, the revs go up and you're off like a rocket. Best to accelerate to near set speed before resume takes over. Need more practice with that. This car replaces a '97 Buick Ultra which is a great road car. I miss the heads up display but like the Nav. Ride is comparable to Buick. My only gripe if I could call it that is the speedometer. It reads to 160 but you have to look a couple times to see if you're at 55 or 57, etc. Odometer is a little hard to read with sunglasses but not that bad. Overall, this has been a good purchase.
  • Options
    androgelrxandrogelrx Member Posts: 3
    How many people actually have the door jammed problem? One of the door just won't open from the outside handle. Brought it back to the dealer and they said that they don't have any parts for it right now. This is pissing me off!
  • Options
    "Hi Avalonkitten:
    I have the same problem with the hesitation at low speeds.Can not understand if the people in this chat room are not interested with the problem instead of what I consider to be lesser problems (laser vulnerability,mud flaps etc).Maybe it is just a problem that some people are experiencing. Sounds like I am criticizing those with other problems but it seems more pressing to resolve this problem with Toyota.
    Appreciate your thoughts.
    Mel "

Mel, Avalonkitten appears to have a bad case of the tranny blues. Some others have reported problems but not as severe.

But the majority of us DON'T have a tranny issue or other drivetrain problems. We have been blessed with trouble free or only minimal problems. I've had my LTD since 02/10/05 7,200 miles and the only issue I have is that sometimes the drivers door won't unlatch.

If you were to read back through this entire forum you would find others talking about the tranny issues and rear glass distortion. Try reading the Jeep forums if you really want to read some serious complaints.

Toyota has built a great car at a great price. But it isn't 100% perfect every time. Looks like A'Kitten should either go to arbitration or hire a Lemon Law lawyer. Or sell the Avalon and buy a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now there is a vehicle with issues for you.

Or look at it this way, people have so little to complain about they find insignificant problems like non colored keyed mud flaps to complain about. Wow, that really effects the way this car runs!

MikeS.