Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    I have the same problem with the hesitation at low speeds.Can not understand if the people in this chat room are not interested with the problem instead of what I consider to be lesser problems (laser vulnerability,mud flaps etc).Maybe it is just a problem that some people are experiencing.

I think you are correct. Not everyone has this problem. I know I don't experience any hesitiation. I had a 1992 Turbo Laser, now that had a real turbo lag, but my Avy is smooth and even on acceleration. With the 280 horses and lot's of torque I do notice the power curve is highest in second and 3rd which is different than the previous model (I also have an '03) :shades:
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks. I'm in the Pacific NW. Any website I can visit for protective film for 05 Avy's?

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I purchased the clear acrylic .093" thick sheet @ Home Depot. The first time I tried it I got a C1 error msg (dirty lens) and after cleaning it worked. Cleanliness is an issue. I will be giving it a real workout soon and let you know..

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "How many people actually have the door jammed problem? One of the door just won't open from the outside handle. Brought it back to the dealer and they said that they don't have any parts for it right now. This is pissing me off! "

I do, occasionally on the drivers door.

MikeS.
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    I went to www.anythingtoyota.com but could not find the sensor anywhere on the site. I did a search for sensor as well as parking and back-up, but didn't find it. Could you post the page address where you found the sensors?

Thanks,
  • Options
    islandavyislandavy Member Posts: 21
    :shades: Hello, I'm Donna of the Florida Keys. Car fanatic since since owning my 1st Corvette at age 18, nearly 40 years ago. After months of research and reading this educational forum, I traded my 95 Avy for a Silver Pine Ltd on 6/15 (order it on May 27) at Kendall Toyota-Miami. Exceptional, no hassle salesmen. Shopped 6 south FL dealers by internet and phone, brought best quote to Kendall and they beat it! I drive 27 miles daily to work over 5 islands and 5 bridges with 1st tank averaging 31.4 mpg. using 87 octane filled and recommended by dealer. I am trying 89 on 3rd tank as station was out of 87.

Maguired car last weekend and she's a beauty! Exterior is so slick that it's a comedy trying to put the car cover on--it just keeps sliding off. No garages here in the Keys, only car ports. Noticed a slight waviness in back window. I watched the solid yellow & white road lines in the rear view mirror and they look like they are on roller coaster tracks. After owning Vettes, Land Cruisers, Caddys, Mercedes, I am definitely a Toyota lady and my Green Flash is as close to perfect as a car can be. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
  • Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Just send an email to sales@anythingtoyota.com and ask them for information on the backup sensor kit. I did that and they sent me complete ordering information and a PDF file with very detailed installation instructions. The cost is $262.00

Doug
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    If that's what they charge for a backup sensor kit that you install yourself, then the Awell system (www.awellmarket.com) is a far better deal at $99.95 plus shipping.

Do a search of this discussion under Awell or backup sensors or johni havalongavalon, all the details have been posted in this forum. I also posted photos of my installation in the bumper and inside the trunk.

johni and I both installed a 4-sensor system and I believe others from this forum also installed Awell systems since then.

I have had excellent results with it.

havalongavalon
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Wow, that's a great way to describe the Silver Pine. I learned about the Green Flash from the Lexus Luxury Utility Vehicle DVD I got from Lexus.com around August of 2003.
  • Options
    ojorojor Member Posts: 10
    Hello Mikes&Allavalons:
    My problem is that I do enjoy my XLS .I got 6800 on it.I dont think I can be very anal about it and have to recognize that it does have some flaws.Obviously compared to other cars it does fine but Toyota should recognize that some cars do have such hesitation and try to correct it.Maybe I was expecting more of Toyota than other car companies.

mel
  • Options
    avalonmikeavalonmike Member Posts: 8
    My wife's Avalon has the transmission hesitation too. I notice it most in rush hour traffic. After 3k miles it doesn't happen very often so maybe it continues to learn but when it does happen, it is disconcerting. My wife is asking the dealer to look at it when she takes it in on the 5th for an oil change. There are a few other things that need to be addressed like fog lights tightened, road noise coming through the passenger door, and steering wheel is not straight. We truly love the car but I am dissappointed that these things are necessary, more so if they can't correct the transmission issue. I have owned several new vehicles and this has not been necessary in the past.

The many helpful people here have provided a great deal of information to those of us with new Avalons. Thank you all for the help!
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Welcome to the forum and to '05 Avalon ownership. Ours has been trouble free except for a loose fog light. There is some waveness in the rear window but it doesn't bother me. It seems to be caused by the defroster wires as stated by someone else earlier on this forum. Certainly not enough of a problem to request a change for window. Meguiar's makes good products but for a longer lasting protection get some Klasse AIO and SG. I applied them once a year on my BMW and it beaded water a year later. It's a German product, available from several dealers on the internet . My wife and I love the Keys, been to Key West several times. Stayed at Key Largo the last time.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Mel,

Yes, it does seem that some are experiencing this issue. It could well be that it is an issue that only a minority of owners are experiencing, but that is not relevant to you or to anyone else who actually has the problem. For whomever the problem affects, it makes no difference whether the issue affects a few owners or all owners, it's a real problem for you.

You are welcome to post here about it and I hope you will keep us apprised of what transpires. Please don't let anyone discourage you from doing so.
  • Options
    ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    It's in intensive care after having worked just fine. It makes little death-rattle noises but won't play. Nor will it eject any of the six CD's I've loaded into it. So the dealer ordered a new radio/CD unit to be installed next week. But will my CD's then be rescued? Nope. The unit's sent to Toyota, perhaps to the Kentucky plant, where the CD's are removed and then sent back to the dealer. Will they be returned in timely fashion? Will they be enhanced with black fingerprints? Will Toyota say, "What CD's?" Stay tuned.
  • Options
    ojorojor Member Posts: 10
    Hi Pat:
    Thanks for encouraging words.My purpuse is to try to improve in a fine product particularly when it is beyond our control.We need Toyota to work with those affected by what seems to be a problem to some of us.

Thanks again.

mel
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The July TVO (Toyota Vehicle Order) docs show the 2006 Avalon can be ordered now. It will more than likely begin arriving at dealerships in mid to late August. I'll have more info for you guys and gals later in the week as I get myself settled in at my new store. I don't foresee any changes at all but I'll double check the options and colors to see if any were changed or deleted and any additions. Everyone have a safe 4th of July and let's celebrate America's birthday responsibly.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I had that problem with a back door but it seemed to fix itself. May be related to some kind of interference with the radio waves? It was very frustrating when it happened!
  • Options
    dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    While I wiring an extra power point to the front under the passenger dash I found a box that is under the passengers front seat. You can see it easily from the back seat area if you move the seat all the way forward. It's covered slightly with carpet that can be removed. No it's not black but I know many cars come with recorders and this sure looks like it.

Does anyone know?

On Friday I finally took my AV in for pinstripes, looks really nice, not sure why I waited.

:surprise:
  • Options
    gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I would expect that Avalon sales would be higher if more were available. I'm impressed that Avalon sales are about 75% of all Lexus passenger car sales!
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    Mackabee: Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just placed my order for a Limited that should be arriving mid-Aug. But if the 2006 model is arriving just a week later, I might as well change my order. Any insight on that?
  • Options
    fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    The same thing happened twice to the sound system in my Acura TL. They replaced the defective unit and sent it to someone, and within a few weeks the dealer called for me to pick up my CD's. I was told that the reason the unit screwed up was because I had loaded up some discs that I had burned on my computer, and used an adhesive label on the disc to let me know what I was listening to. They said it was just enough extra height on the disc to cause it to jam. I guess it must be true, because I tried it again, with my new unit, and surprise, surprise, it happened again. I have now learned not to be such a putz, and listen to the tech people at the dealership. I hope all goes well with your system, and I'm pretty sure you'll get your discs back......... :(
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for the update Mackabee. I'm still interested in a 2006. When I inquiried with a local Toyota dealership, the internet manager stated that "they would not be available until the first quarter of 2006." Yes, he meant next year, not this year.

I hope that they implement some changes - i.e, having fold down reasr seats and he foldable mirrors. For me, I need the fold down rear seats. I had a lot of bulky items and long items to bring with me in my Accord lately, and I was happy that the seats folded down.

Anyway folks, happry 4th of July, and please continue to post - the good, the bad and the ugly about the car.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    According to post 7150 by mackabee, you would have to conclude that clipper1 reported accurately back in April when he used the Donlen Corp as a resource to report on when the 2006 model will be available. I recall he took a lot of flak regarding his position.
  • Options
    bikegalbikegal Member Posts: 50
    I recall him taking a lot of flak for saying that, too. I also got flak for mentioning that USA TODAY noticed hesitation problems in the new Avalon. months ago. Folks need to keep an open mind. Nothing is as ever good as it sounds and nothing is as ever bad.
  • Options
    ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    A couple of years ago I sold a Taurus which required $800 worth of computer replacements (only three of them) before the car passed the Calif. smog test. I deeply enjoyed that experience. So with all the technical gizmos on the new Avalon, I figured I'd better get their best warranty, the 7-year, 100,000-mile, no deductible job backed by Toyota Motor Insurance Services and not a possibly questionable outfit. My Calif. dealer wanted $1,300, but as several helpful posters here pointed out, Toyota of Greenfield, Mass. charges $985 for the best warranty. A phone call does it. (A minor catch for warranties is that you must get prior authorization for repairs via an 800 number and let them know what dealer will be doing the work. Plus you'll need your paperwork for required maintenance in case they request it.) Toyota has a pamphlet that'll tell you the numerous things that are covered (including towing to the nearest Toyota dealer, should that be needed) and those that aren't.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I also seem to recall that cliipper1 took a lot of flak about his comments.

I also wanted to add some to my previous post. The internet manager told me weeks ago that I could "order a 2006." I did not post that information because I was disgusted with what I beleive was incorrect information- specifically, that the 2006s would not be availabe until "the first quarter of next year." The internet manager also questioned me as to why "I wanted fold down rear seats and fold in mirrors." He then told me that they would not be making any changes to the vehicle.

Gee, if I knew that I would have brightened his day, I should have mentioned the tranmission issue in which there are more and more posts about lately.
  • Options
    bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    Nowhere in previous postings can I get confirmation that the XM radio will read out (i.e. song, artist, etc.) on the NAV screen. I have ordered and received the proper XM kit for my 05 Limited, but am reluctant to have it installed if it won't. By the way, it came with a very small (1-3/4" by 1" by 1/2") antenna. Also, could this antenna be put inside the back window?

Have had my car for a little over a month now and really love it. Thara does however seem to be some transmission hesitation that wasn,t noticible in my 03 Avalon. It is not 87 vs 93 octane dependent. (Sam's club doesn't have 89 octane.)

Bakeroid
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Everyone have a safe 4th of July and let's celebrate America's birthday responsibly.

Yes, don't get drunk and drive your Avalon :P
  • Options
    angeange Member Posts: 158
    I hear a lot of comments re hesitation with the 2005 Avalons. I have encounter some minor hesitations but so far they are liveable. I have been trying to determine when the car is in 5th gear or 4th gear. I am trying to follow the RPM verses the MPH dials and is seems like somewhere around 35 MPR the RPM are up, and the car must be in 4th gear. Maybe if you car is somewhere in between 4th and 5th in town the gear change is in between and it can go either way. Does anyone know the shifting RPMS and MPH for the 5 gears. I have tried driving in 4th at speeds less than 35 MPH and find good response. I know this is not a fix as we did not buy a car that coughs and hesitates.The other day during a left turn the transimission sounded like it was a standard without using the clutch. My warranty is in force so I am not worried. I read the Toyota warranty and they do not cover the door hinges, This is unusual as the hinges should not break. I can see excluding brakes and normal wearing out parts. I am one of the un happy 2005 Limited owners. My navigation system does what it wants. Will not respond to "take me home". 4-8 attempts are needed. About one half of the time I get no directions as I approach my supposed turn to another highway; other times it works fine. The directions sometimes takes you on a long ride. ange1
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    From the comments here, I will likely not buy an Avalon. :confuse:
  • Options
    rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    The XM display on the NAV screen consist of a bar at the top of the screen which contains: SAT 1, SAT 2 or SAT 3 ( you can set preset 6 favorite channels in each for a total of 18), Channel number, channel name, type of music. It only displays this briefly when you change channels, not all the time. For Example:

SAT 1 10ch AMERICA CLASSIC COUNTRY

The display bar only stays up for a few seconds and only reappears if you change channels. It does not show title and artist in the NAV screen. It is about 1/2 inch tall.

As far as the antenna goes, there have been numerous posts about this topic, including my experiences at #6593. Just do a search of the site.

rhack
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Maybe if all those who are experiencing the hesitation problem contact Toyota complaint line and also inform the district manager of the problem, eventually they will upgrade the software for the tranny which may well be the problem. Also, refer Toyota to this site so they can read the several complaints first hand.

It's too bad such a fine car should have such a frustrating problem. When Toyota realizes that sales may be affected if they don't correct this problem then hopefully they will look for a solution.
  • Options
    zeusgoosezeusgoose Member Posts: 2
    I have recently taken delivery of my Avalon Limited. I have read the owner's manual and it gives me the impression that the Traction Control can be turned off and on. Can anyone provide additional insight into this? :confuse:

Additionally, the JBL audio system seems to lack depth and I don't seem to be getting a lot of subwoofer response. Don't get me wrong, I am not wanting a thump monster, but the sound is very thin. Anyone have any recommendations?
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    It seems as though there are lots of repeat complaints about the same items...transmission hesitation, laser, uncomfortable seats, etc. Frisconicks suggestion to contact Toyota's complaint line is an excellent one! Rather than consistently whine and complain on this forum, EVERYONE should simply make a toll free call to the complaint line to document their issue(s)...better yet, WRITE A LETTER! Unfortunately no one does that anymore so problems aren't addressed. As I stated in one of my initial postings, I aggressively complained to the 800 # about the assinine placement of the XM antenna on the trunk of my LTD...I'm sure I'm not alone in my feelings. It didn't result in getting Toyota to move the antenna for me - I did it myself to the front dash. But it did get me a $250 reimbursement from Toyota for future service due to my dissatisfaction :)

Collectively, customers can make their mark to improve problems with a great car...just takes a slight bit of effort on everyone's part!
    zekeman1
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    My friend who heads Village Toyota told me 2 weeks ago that by mid-July he would have the options/pricing and the ability to order the new '06 Avalon.

As he still has my deposit (I cancelled the '05 Limited) -- my decision might have been the right one.

That is IF.... he is correct.

I'll see him next week and report -- unless, Mackabee tells us first.

(Don't worry about the past grief.... My wife gives me worst.)
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Yeah, it looks like the bloom is off the rose alright. This is a first year car, after all. It'll take some time to work through all the issues.
  • Options
    jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Page iv of the owner's manual describes an "event data recorder". That's probably what you've discovered.
  • Options
    greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    Just to make everyone aware that Toyota's problems with 1st year Avalons isn't new.

We took delivery of our 00XLS in April of 2000. It had 5 or 6 defects (mostly rattles) and replaced front struts in the first 90 days of ownership. After that only routine maintenance.

Now at 55,000 miles the VSC is starting to fail.

30 Days ago, the VSC/VSC Off lights came on and we took the car in to the local dealer on Route 9 just west of 128 outside of Boston. They had it for four days trying to figure out what was wrong. They finally replaced a steering angle sensor under our Platinum warranty and the problem was fixed.

That lasted 30 days. While we were travelling on a short trip yesterday, the VSC, VSC off and Engine Check lights all came on.

55,000 Miles and the car is getting flakey and even worse, the local dealership can't fix it right the first time. We will take it to the selling dealership (the 2nd largest Toyota dealer in the world!) for repair next week. They took care of our prior issues with the Avy.

The message here is that the quality level isn't what it could be on new Avalons and make sure that there's a dealership nearby that can actually fix them.
  • Options
    66gman66gman Member Posts: 12
    Hi:, I too own a 00 xls Avalon and about the same mileage my idiot lites started
    to come on. I checked everything that was indicated. I noticed the brake fluid was below add. I topped it off and everything is back to normal now have 75000 on the car. The best car I've ever owned
  • Options
    bobk2bobk2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks…we are seriously considering purchasing an XLS. For the past seven years I’ve been driving a Regal GS (it has traction control) which did very well in the ice and snow of central Pennsylvania. I had a good feeling about my wife driving in almost any kind of weather. The XLS would have Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist and the dealer ‘thinks’ it would do well. If anyone has actually had experience driving the new ‘05 in snow and ice and would comment I’d greatly appreciate it.

My current car, while it has a center console, is more open between the front two passengers. I’ve driven the XLS on the two occasions it seems more confined with regard to the area between the front seats. Has this been an issue for anyone?

The dealer tells me the ’05 line is to be shut down in early August, but has no idea of any changes for ’06. Any insight on changes for the new year or benefits of going with a late ’05.

Thanks for your replys…Bobk2
  • Options
    rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    There was an earlier post that stated that shifting into "S" disengaged the Traction Control, haven't tried it though.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    As far as I can tell the 2006 Avalon remains unchanged. I will check on projected availability as soon as I can get my access to dealer daily. I knew about the 2006 coming out in August same as clipper1after I called our district rep and he confirmed it. I did not want to jeopardize 2005 sales so I didn't say anything then. I hope some of you will understand my position.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    angeange Member Posts: 158
    I saw your backup sensers some time ago. Looked like a factory job.Nice work. I haven't contacted Awell yet, but I am trying to determine how you did the wiring to the reverse contact. Removing the consol is a job. Could you connect to the back up light wiring to get the sensers to work in reverse?Did you have to remove the kick plate to get the wiring up front? The rear window is a bit high and the back up sensers would be a good thing to have.ange1
  • Options
    bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    Mackabee,

I, for one, understand your position. For you to withhold Toyota confidential or priviledged information is reasonable. I would rather you not answer a delicate question, rather than give an answer that you know to be wrong. I had been told by two salesman that the '06 would not be orderable until '06. They were either speaking from ignorance, or speaking from their pocketbook. The more honest answer for them should have been "I do not know".

I want to know if the backup sensors are orderable everywhere or only in select sales areas. More and more these seem to be a real safety issue. At work we talked about this issue, and several people know folks who have injured children with backing up accidents. The risk is too big to not have these sensors.

BetterSafe than Sorry
  • Options
    jackstackerjackstacker Member Posts: 11
    1. I notice there are no cloth felts in the front wheel wells; but there are felts on the. rears. Is that normal?

2. Where the heck is the radiator?

Things get worse and worse with this car. I can't believe I'm losing sleep over this thing. I lost more sleep than my old BMW and believe me I didn't think I could get worse.
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    Last week I put down a $500 deposit on a Blizzard Limited. The dealer says he hopes he will have it by the end of July. If the '06' is going to be here in August, I would rather wait another month and get that model. You sound like you are a dealer. What are your thoughts on my dealer being willing to let me use the deposit on a 06 model?

Please give any information you might have on when the 06 will be available and if it might include any new options like bluetooth, backup camera, and power tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
  • Options
    5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Sounds like Toyota is becoming too Americanized with all the problems. I hope they turn it around soon.
  • Options
    5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Ordering an 06 is one thing. The delivery date may be another. Does your dealer give you an ETA?
  • Options
    bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    Thank You rhack. I'm going in tomorrow to have it installed.

One more quick question re: NAV system. Can the lock out that prevents adding or changing way points while the car is in motion be over-ridden? My wife likes to do this while I am driving.

Bakeroid
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Yep -- Delivery in early Sep for me.... the latest.