Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    This is correct.
  • Options
    gedgoudaslgedgoudasl Member Posts: 21
    Enjoy my 05 Ltd. Graduated from a 00 XLS. I have occasional left rear door sticking problem. Have noticed others with sticking door but they fail to mention which door. Would be helpful to know which door(s) are sticking.
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    Go to the website below and check out the neat products they have to take care of your problem.

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm
  • Options
    gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi Havalong!
    Don't the speedometers of the US Avalons show both miles and kilometers. MPH on the outside and KM on the inside. Just the opposite of the Canadian models.However the odometer would show miles. Why would Transport Canada not allow a person to bring a brand new car into Canada just because of the different odometer calibration? We'll have to look into this!!
    Glad you liked the blizzard Pearl Avalon. I really think the Avalon looks great in white.
    . I just checked on the Transport Canada website and the Avalon is approved for import into Canada. No mention of required changes to the speedo or odometer.
    Have a great summer!
    gladiator99
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    Has anyone tried the "I agree" remover and "input while driving" device from Coastaltech on an Avalon? If so, is there any observerd issue or down side to using the device?
  • Options
    azhuyckazhuyck Member Posts: 25
    Koondog: I have same question. Is the (Navigation Enhancement Kit) plug compatible with the 2005 Avalon?
    azhuyck
  • Options
    MikeS: You had ask where I got the gold package. Here is there web site.
    http://store.goldrushplating.com/. Good quality
    azhuyck
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    jeffm5, I was glad to hear that all went well with your new Avalon Limited and your experience with Rohrich. As you know, I am in the same boat. My car has almost 3000 miles now and I have had no major problems. I had loose fog lamps but Rohrich had done what they could to correct them. Not perfect but much better. You are getting a little better mileage than I am at the moment. I get around 25 in mixed driving. Of course, I am bit of a lead foot. Being and old Air Force guy, I frequently feel the need for speed. In any case, I wish you well with your new car.
  • Options
    allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    "I just put 1,000 miles on my limited. It took me almost 2 months to do. I'm taking it to the dealer for the 1,000 mile checkup in the next few weeks."

1,000 mile checkup?? I can't find anything in the owners manual about a 1,000 mile checkup. My dealer put a sticker on the upper left corner of my windshield to remind me to get my oil changed at 3,000 miles but no one said anything about 1,000 miles. Where is that written? I'm just a little over 1,200 miles. :confuse:
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There is a break-in period for the first 1,000 miles, however, there isn't any specified checkup at the end of that time. There have been several of my customers who do prefer to have the vehicle double checked after the break-in period, so certainly isn't out of the question.

Ken
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Just remember that you should remind the customers how to deactivate the oil change service light or you'll be getting alot of questions at 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Hi allavalons...my dealer put the same sticker on my car but for 1,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles to get the oil changed. It is something I've always done and the dealer recommends because 1,000 miles is the end of the break in period. l don't know if it is still needed but it can't hurt. If I waited for 3,000 miles it may take 6 months. I'll take it back to the dealer again in November ( 6 months ) and then in May (1 year) and follow that 6 months pattern for the next 10 years. I haven't seen it in the owners manual but I didn't look too hard.

Maybe Mackabee knows.
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Any of you planning on using synthetic oil at your first or second oil change? TIA
  • Options
    carzakcarzak Member Posts: 12
    Hello everybody,

Have about 3200 miles on my Avalon. I am generally very happy, except I have definitely noticed hesitation.
    I have the base XL stereo system and I feel that the rear speakers do not do justice to a 29000 dollar car.

Can you folks help me stereo upgrade options. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    buck11buck11 Member Posts: 30
    I checked with my dealer friend today and he said he still didn't have any info on the 06 models. He also stated that if they are coming out in August he didn't think that there would be more than a $200 increase.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You are so right! Years ago I posted this on the Camry forum and no one believed me. We still get Camrys from Japan and they arrive without the mirrors installed. This is done at the dealership as part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection)
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Buck, the first 06 Avalon is being built 01 August 2005. I did notice one change in the options. The VD which is the stability control and the heated seats combo on the XLS is now only VS which is just the stability control. I have not been able to pull an actual invoice yet as my new store does not allow the salespersons access to Dealer daily. Once I get my hands on one I'll be able to see what other changes in options if any were made beside this one. Your dealers in uninformed.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    and last but not least also to reduce wind noise. Can we put this one to bed now?
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Mack and all,

Looking at dealer daily, we don't have any '06's allocated yet, so can't run an inquiry, but I would expect that after our next allocation, we may have some. When we do, I'll be sure to post the changes as I see them here as well.

Ken
  • Options
    bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey guys i am really confused between these 2 cars .
    ive already placed an order for the new avalon and theres still one month lift to arrive :( so before i do anything wrong i reallly wanna know which one of these would be a better car .
    The Is will arrive at the next few months and should really consider about my purchase .
    i am about to be 21 years old just would love to know what ppl would chose mostly between these 2 cars would nicer.

first Toyota Avalon limited :

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve Dual VVT-i V6
    280 hp @ 6200 rpm [1]
    260 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm [1]

5-speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift

JBL Synthesis® AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, 360 watts maximum output with 12 speakers including subwoofer, Radio Data System (RDS), in-glass antenna and FM diversity reception

+ smart key future with on off engine button and manny futures plus this car has bigger interior than the BUICK ! its soo big and comfy quite car .

heres my avalon mods if i am taking it :

also forgot to mention the car won the best 30.000$ 4door sedan in car and driver magazine :

The 2006 IS350 with 4 wheel drive
    The IS 350 boasts a 3.5-liter V6 engine, that generates more than 300 hp and over 275 lb-ft of torque. A newly designed fuel injection system and dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that act on both the intake and exhaust valves provide optimal engine performance and efficiency under a variety of driving conditions. More good news: the IS 350's engine is so powerful it can launch you from 0 to 60 mph in under six seconds .

Six Speed Auto paddle shifters as u can see in the steering
    Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio
    Bi-Xenon projector HID headlamp with AFS
    Dynamic Radar cruise similer to the avalon
    MP3/wma autio outpot
    New design element

imageimage

anyway heres my comment is that the IS is too sporty for me i got my supra as sport car but this one amm i dunno !
    the avalon is much bigger and more luxries but not fast as the IS :moon:
    i dont want fast daily car just some nice lookin luxries car .

ali
  • Options
    bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    Is the blue Avalon shown in the above pictures a new color ??
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    You have a major flaw in the specs for the IS. The IS350 will NOT be available as all-wheel drive. It will only be rear wheel drive. If you want AWD, you have to get the smaller 2.5 V--6 engine which will be referred to as the IS250.
  • Options
    morganffmorganff Member Posts: 6
    For anyone out there still interested in the Avalon's steering issues, here's a provocative exerpt from a preview of the 2006 Avalon. It's from Consumer Reviews: Car Buyers Guide #57, page 92.
    "The fly in the ointment is the handling. The Avalon floats over the road, but when the road turns, it seems to follow with reluctance. It tilts at a surprising angle for a modern car and fails to induce much driving confidence."
    Agree or disagree? I'd love to hear some comments either way, even though I'm constrained by pending litigation to speak freely about my vehicle's current steering performance.
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Here is another interesting fact I found on the 2006 Lexus IS website.

Tires fitted with 17- or 18-in. wheels are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending on driving conditions.

I have never seen anything like this stated in advertising material before. Sounds like we finally have some truth in advertising!!!
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Stop driving yourself crazy and make a decision, no one can do that for you.
  • Options
    bahraini_zupra: Tire wear is direct dependent on the tire compound. Soft compounds wear faster, but have much more grip in cournrs. That why corvettes have Z rated tires. All Tires have a number on the side of the tire that indicates tredwear. The number ranges from (100 as the shortest tredwear to 500 which would be the longest) . The Limited Avalon comes with (400) which is very good. Whether 17" or 18 ", it only indicates the diameter of the rim which translate in the how much sidewall you will have in simple terms. The less sidewall the better you can corner. But you pay a price as the less sidewall you have the harsher the ride. I have 18" wheels.
    azhuyck
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I definitely disagree. I have the 17inch tires on my XLS, and I never knew there could be a difference between 17inch, 16 or 15. The one difference that I have noticed when going into a turn, it seems as if my tires want to smoothly take me into the turn with no resistance at all, so I don't understand the Consumer comment. Maybe it's not my tires and just the car, but I'm stating what I felt from day one trying to understand my 17 inch tires over the 16 and 15's I used to drive, and that seemed to be one large difference that I love. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey dude i decided and iam going to the avalon cuz the 350 IS version is not coming plus the IS too sporty less roomy and dosent feel that luxries as avalon :)

i still need to wait 1 month for the avalon arrive :( oh crap
  • Options
    hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    I intend to switch to AMSoil at the 10,000 mile oil change. I have been using synthetic oil for 25 years and really do believe it extends the life of the engine. I also use synthetic in all of my power equipment especially those that are air cooled as they run at a much higher temperature than liquid cooled engines. It costs a little more but I think it is worth it. :):)
  • Options
    Ken, thanks for helping me out on this while I get settled here. I did some reaserch today on the 2006 Avalons. Looks like the VD and VS option codes are interchangeable on this car. I did get my hands on the invoices and the description is the same as for the 2005 model year, i.e, vehicle stability control/heated seats. No pricing is shown yet but from what I saw before it's about a $300.00 price increase.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    That's the Blue Mirage pearl. The printed picture came out with a weird looking color. They must have photoshopped it.
    :confuse:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Mack,

That's what I'm seeing too, but we'll have to see once we get the info. Should be showing up in about a week or so.

Ken
  • Options
    pablo2pablo2 Member Posts: 17
    Yes, I have the same vibrations in the passenger seat on my new limited Avalon which I received four weeks ago. However, I noticed that my 1997 Avalon vibrates as well. Additionally, while driving to Colorado Springs and Durango from Jefferson City, MO, I notice the seats in the Limited are not near as comfortable as the seats i my 1997 and that the passager seat does not move up and down but lonly moves forward and backward with the electric seats. For those who who are going over some dips in the road beware on those dips. The new Avalons have a very low overhang, approx. "8 inches. I found out the hard way when I bottomed out and hitting the front bumper and bottom where the bumper was pushed back and buckling the side of the bumper where it attachs to the left fender. The good point was, the bumper is made of plastic. The dealer replaced the "plastic" bracket part which the bumper was attached and used what looked like a hair drier to heat the plastic bring it back to its original shape.

In general I am very satisfied with my Limited. However, like previous post I do notice some lag in shifting at times. Do anyone else have these same problems. Are there any solutions to the above.

Paul
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Really, Bahrain isn't getting the IS ? That is too bad. It seems the 350 is only reserved for North America where as the rest of the world gets the 250. Having said that, I think the Avalon is probably a better buy. You get the same powertrain in a bigger more comfortable car. I also prefer a soft, cushy ride over a stiff sporty one.
  • Options
    nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    What timing! I just yesterday decided to order a blue mirage metallic LTD w. VSC and now they tell me I can no longer get a 2005 ordered. I can either order a 2006 or get a titanium metallic instead. I wouldn't mind waiting for a 2006 if I knew 2 things: (1) is blue mirage metallic still available and (2) is a cassette still available in LTD's without the NAV.

Is there any, any, any way to find out the answers to these two questions this week?
  • Options
    05pearltouring05pearltouring Member Posts: 1
    I am a proud owner of the 05 Avalon Touring model (Blizzard Pearl). I test drove the Limited and Touring in the same day... I loved the handling and road response of the Touring. I've owned it for almost three months and I've noticed a rattling coming from my dashboard. I hear it most when I'm coming to a stop and when acclerating from that dead stop. I brought it into the dealership and it went away but a week later it came back. Anyone else experiencing this?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    From looking at the "pipeline" of vehicles being built in July, the 2006 Avalon started production. We don't have info on the cassette, but my guess would be that without the nav, it should still be in the car. As for your second question, Blue Mirage Metalic is still listed as one of the colors that are being produced in the '06 model.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    Thank you, Ken. I think I'll "take a chance" on the 2006 model and trust that nothing will be downgraded or deleted.
  • Options
    rgs321rgs321 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm seriously considering buying an 05 Avalon Limited, however the Edmunds True Cost shows $9000 in depreciation the first year. Is it just me or is that number flawed? Other sites have 5 year depreciation at $17k, but Edmunds has it at $20k.
  • Options
    lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    If anyone is interested in side window deflectors for the 05 Avalon, I have info. I have been searching for them since I bought my Limited. I finally got a lead. I called Weathertech, who made the set I had on my last car. They responded that the Avalon had been approved for the new 05 design and that they should become available around September. These deflectors snap into the window channel and do not use adhesives. I really like them since I can park my car with the windows cracked open an inch and you can't tell from the outside and rain won't get in either.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that the '04 model was the previous generation and body style. Anytime you have a major redesign, the older bodystyle doesn't have quite a good a resale value. You'll see the same thing if you go back and look at resales for '02 vs '01 Camry's, '02 vs '03 Corolla's, etc. Any manufacturer that has a redesign of their model experiences this.

Ken
  • Options
    rgs321rgs321 Member Posts: 2
    The value that is shown is for the 2005 model year not the 04 I believe.
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Seems like that's got to be somebody's guess. How would you figure on such a new model. I remember when Fiero's came out. They thought the resale would be great due to the plastic body and the mid (rear) engine. Boy, were "they" wrong. Dealers were marking them up 2000 to 3000 over MSRP. Maybe edmunds is looking at what people are paying in Florida for the new Avys.
  • Options
    To answer your questions nimimi, YES and Yes! Blue mirage will be offered for 2006 and will have a cassette without the NAV. What region of the country are you in? Seems like the first wave of Limiteds coming to CAT have the NAV, Laser cruise, options.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I'm in the state of WA but the person with whom I'm working to get a car ordered out of their allocation is dealing with Oregon and CA dealers.

At least for the 2005's, it appears difficult to get much off MSRP so I'm going the above route to get ~ $1,600 off MSRP. The only real option I would not want is the NAV.
  • Options
    . . . by the way, what's "CAT?"
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm guessing the "A" is Atlantic ... Central Atlantic Toyota region ??? We have to wait for Mack (or maybe Ken) to tell us. :P
  • Options
    fareastfareast Member Posts: 6
    I ordered avalon a month ago and I called the dealer the other day to see when it would be in. They told me now it would be 2006 model coming in late september coming out of Japan.
  • Options
    fivestar1fivestar1 Member Posts: 13
    Priggly,

The following table takes into account the dealer discount. I used the CarsDirect price for Seattle for a MSRP $30470 Touring. I included the WA state sales tax of 6.5% and the added 2.3% for the "Seattle" column, the "WA State only" column would apply at some other WA location with no local sales tax. I do not know if a place with no local sales tax actually exists in WA. I also added a $400 in added fees to the WA purchase. This is a flat out guess, but doesn't make much difference in the calculation.

Exchange Rate Seattle WA State Only
    1 CAD 16,104 CAD 16,793
    1.1 CAD 12,803 CAD 13,561
    1.15 CAD 11,153 CAD 11,945
    1.2 CAD 9,502 CAD 10,329
    1.22 CAD 8,842 CAD 9,683
    1.25 CAD 7,852 CAD 8,714
    1.3 CAD 6,202 CAD 7,098