Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Ouch. Although I still think $9,000 is a rough estimate, since Edmunds doesn't even have their own "TMV" posted yet for the 2005 and prices paid vary so much. An example is; I talked to my dealer today and he'd sell me a XLS for $500 over invoice (which is what I paid for my LTD) and using Edmund's criteria (15,000 miles, etc.) actually gave me the difference between what a new 2005 XLS would cost and what he would allow for trade for an equally equiped 2004 XLS . It was $7,200 and that's taking into account the 2004 is the old style and therefore is subject to greater depreciation. Since there was no LTD in 2004 he couldn't compare them. I know this will be viewed as total speculation, but the guy's never changed one number (not one penney) on me (or any of my friends) since I've been dealing him (14 years). Now, if you paid full sticker or above I'll leave it to the math majors.
  • Options
    azhuyckazhuyck Member Posts: 25
    Found this on another web site. It does work, however make sure you do not start car, just be in the ACC mode where the ODO will come on.

******FOUND THE SOLUTION TO DISABLE THE SEAT BELT CHIME*****************
    Well, no wiring mod is required. Here is the procedure:

1. Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO trip.
    2. Press and hold the TRIP meter reset knob for ten seconds or more within six seconds of turning the ignition switch to the ON position. Fastening the driver's seat belt while holding the knob cancels the buzzer reminder. (You may have to hit the reset meter knob to cycle through b-ON to b-OFF)
    3. When this occurs, the LCD displays "b-OFF". The buzzer reminder can be switched between ON and OFF each time the TRIP meter knob is pressed. The LCD displays "b-ON" or "b-OFF" according to the buzzer reminder ON/OFF status. The display changes to the ODO or trip meter if the knob is not pressed in 10 seconds.
    4) Performing steps 1) and 2) again when the buzzer reminder is off exits cancel mode.

azhuyck
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Trip Report, 05 Ltd.

I just completed an nearly identical 1500+ mile trip, basically the same trip I took back in May. This time I averaged 29.7 mpg vs 28.7 in May. I used the A/C much more on this trip (~50% of the time) and ran the Ltd between 72-80 mph. Only differences was that this time I pumped the tires up to 35psi (vs 32 in May) and had 5W-30 synthetic oil vs fossil oil in May. Both times I used premium fuel.

Laser Cruise Control Protection: The 3/32" thick protective (see above email)acrylic lens I installed does not consistently work. When turned on, the LCC works for about 5-10 minutes then the C-1 fault appears but acrylic lens is not dirty. Something over time is causing the laser beam to default; thinking of possible reflection of beam on acrylic surface (acrylic lens not parallel to laser lens) or laser coupling of beam w/acrylic material. Now into a science project! Next move is to remove acrylic protective lens and replace with thinner GE Lexan protective lens. More to follow..

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Any of you planning on using synthetic oil at your first or second oil change?"

I going to at 10K, my 3rd change. Which will be in about 3 weeks unless I goto Calif in the next couple days. Then it will get done before I leave at about 8k miles.

MikeS.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Has any1 here had a tow hitch installed? If so, what kind and where did you get it?

Has any1 actually towed a trailer? How did it do"

I've read from earlier posts that Toyota USA doesn't recommend towing but Toyota Canada says upto 1,000 lbs.

Looks like I'm gonna have to goto Calif., 3,000 miles, and take care of my sister"s estate. I'd like to take the Avalon instead of my Tacoma 4x4. Much better ride and better gas mileage, shouldn't have much to haul back. An antique Singer treadle sewing machine and a couple other small pieces.

MikeS.
  • Options
    gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    I've not had a C-1 problem using polycarbonate (Lexan).

Greg
  • Options
    bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey guys i ordered mine before 2 months ago my blizzard limited and still one month lift dose it means mine is gonna be from the 2006 models ?

ali :surprise:
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Is this documented anywhere? I wonder if the same procedure will work in my Camry? I find the chime annoying because I always wear my seat belt but usually unbuckle it when I hit the driveway and it starts beeping. My wife's Highlander doesn't do this.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Quite honestly, I've always worked in the NY region for Toyota. I'm thinking that's a pretty good guess, but Mack may know better. I just know that it is an internal designation for Toyota for that particular Region.

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks Greg. How thick is the Lexan sheet you installed? I assume it is clear (no color)..

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Color shouldn't make any difference since it's passing microwave radiation. As long as it's translucent, it probably doesn't have any added materials that would block the microwaves.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Latest articles for 06 IS3-- is 3.5 liter engine rated @ 300 HP. Assuming it is same engnine as 05 Avy's, will Toyota dealer have add-on kit available to increase Avy's HP to 300?

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    Thanks. I suspect the Avy Laser Radar sensor is a small low powered diode type laser and is classified by Toyota as a Class 1 laser (similar to laser used in CD-ROMs). The Laser Radar wavelength is probably is in the 10 to the minus 6th range ( UV range) where microwaves are around the 10 to the minus 2 range. (any Physics majors out there?). I'd like to find out from the Laser Radar sensor supplier what all this means as far as installing/interference from a protective shield installed in front of Laser Sensor..

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    Where are you getting the GE Lexan Protective Lens and how much does it cost?
    Please let us know how it works after you get it installed.
  • Options
    koondogkoondog Member Posts: 15
    Mack, I ordered an '05' Blizzard Pearl with NAV, Cruise, Remote Start, Toyoguard Plus, VSC, and Tinted Windows and put down a $500 deposit about a month ago. Since then, I have asked my Southeast dealer to just get me the same car in an '06'. There are a couple of features that I really wanted so I'm wondering if you have any information on what additional options may be available on the '06'. I would love to have Bluetooth and Rear-view Camera with the NAV, and power on the tilt and telescopic steering wheel. Will these options be available? Thanks in advance for your reply.
  • Options
    gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    I believe it is 3/32" and is clear. Has the plastic covering you used become cloudy or scratched?

Greg
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    nimimi, Pat is correct. CAT is "Central Atlantic Toyota" which used to be known as "MAT" mid Atlantic Toyota before I started selling Toyotas over 8 years ago. CAT is comprised of the following states: Va, Pa, Md, Wv, Dc area, De, and Southern New Jersey.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    What!!????? The Avalon is made in Georgetown Kentucky! Right in the middle of thoroughbred country. Where do some of these dealers come up with this stuff :mad: The 06 is right around the corner. Should be hitting dealerships first week of August.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Koondog, as far as I know the Avalon remains unchanged for 2006. SET is a privately owned distributor so they may add those things to their cars at the port. Although the rear view camera is part of the Nav system on Lexus and also on the Toyota Sienna I don't think it will be available on the Avalon anytime soon.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Great tip. Works like a charm. Thanks

Doug
  • Options
    barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!! The silver door over the radio won't open!

I am driving on the latest fill up without the air conditioner on and am getting 20 mpg compared to 16.8 mpg with the air conditioner on driving the same route.
  • Options
    jrtreejrtree Member Posts: 2
    I am doing something wrong, please help

does the odo need to be on "a" "b" or just odo?

do you pust the engine start twice first without foot on the break??

I am pressing odo "B" and pressing the engine start without my foot on the break and then fastening seat belt and nothing is working???
  • Options
    dhathdhath Member Posts: 6
    You can order a .093" thick 12"x12" sheet of clear polycarbonate from McMaster-Carr Supply Co. web www.mcmaster.com, under part #8574K25, sheet is $4.50
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I had that trouble ijn May, dealer tech said he "pulled up" on the door and it has worked fine since. You can open the door until you get it fixed with a credit card under the bottom edge.
  • Options
    Douglas1: First there is three modes (ODO) then (trip A) and last (Trip B). The way I do it is to make sure you are in the ODO before you shut engine off. Shut engine off. Make sure you unbuckle seatbelt. (NOTE: I am trying to be as expliced as I can with instructions.) Do not touch brake at any time. I then push in the stem on the ODO and hold it in before I push start button, then push the start button twice. When you see the ODO lite up you must fasten the seat within 10 seconds. Keep holding ODO stem in until you see your millage on ODO change to b-off. You then start car and go above 5mph without seatbelt . If you do not hear ding ding ding, you are in heaven. It does work
  • Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Make sure that ODO is set to ODO setting not the a or b setting before you begin.

No foot on break. Press START button 2 times and immediately press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds. Keep holding the reset button and fasten the seat belt.

The ODO display with show on or off. Press reset button to cycle until you see off. Hit the Start button again.

Now when you start the warning chime should be off. I think there are actually 2 warning chimes. One that goes for about 5 seconds and the other is a much longer term warning. This is the one that is shut off.

Hope this helps. Sorry didn't see the above post before I answered.

Doug
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Mike:

This was reviewed in earlier posts. The new Avalon has a rating of 1000lbs. I do not know if a hitch is manufactured yet for it. I have an Avalon 02 with a Draw Tite hitch on it. I pull a small very useful utility trailer 8 x 5 on a weekly basis to take care of our 43 acres. I find it very useful. The 02 models have a rating of 2000lbs, not 1000lbs. I find that around town and on rural highway it is best to take the tranny out of OD, and then the transmission does not hunt for gears. I also ungraded my brakes since I use it consistently. The wiring harness was hooked into the back light section. Easy to do.

abfisch
  • Options
    tnhackertnhacker Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: I'm very interested in buying an '05/'06 Avalon Limited. I hate the idea of paying 20 cents more per gallon of gas for premium, as recommended. Has anyone used regular or midgrade gas in their Avalon? Results?
    Thanks
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    I've yet to get my '05 Limited (in about 3 weeks), but for my '01 XLS, I do notice the mileage and performance difference when I switch between regular and premium (Exxon mostly).

One thing I don't understand, though, is that even if you get the exact same mileage from both regular and premium gas, the cost difference is only $120/year (assuming 15,000 miles per year at 25 gal/mi and $0.20/gal price difference). Now, since you get better mileage from premium (let's say 2 miles more per gallon), the cost difference literally does not exist anymore on an annual expense basis. So, IMHO, the use of premium vs. regular gas should only be a preference issue.
  • Options
    tnhacker: You can use any grade of gas you want, ie, 87/89/91 BUT with 89 octane you will lose about 20hp. You can use 87 but then you will lose about 40hp.
    Will not hurt car but will retard timing. I use a mix of 89 and 91. by that I mean when half empty I fill up with 89. next time when half empty I use 91. Here are some picture of my Limited, follow the link. azhuyck

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaAvalon/2005avalon.msnw?albumlist=2
  • Options
    jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Why, Oh Why did you put those ugly black door edge guards on such a nice looking automobile? By the way, 87 octane works just fine on my LTD. The only time I can conceive of using 93 would be above 5,000 feet altitude in the Rockies.
  • Options
    perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Dear Barclay,

Mine is stuck too and it appears to be a design flaw because the dealer said there are problems with them and they ordered a replacement for me....same thing with the net hook in the trunk....easy fix....for a great car.
  • Options
    lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    There IS a hitch for the 05 Avalon. I just got it installed. It is from DrawTite and is great It tucks right under the bumper and nothing much shows except the receiver. I got a little chrome cover to hide it further when the hitch isn't needed. I decided that the cover would look better in black so I painted it and it looks great. Not too noticeable.
    Go to the DrawTite website and you can look at it. They need to lower the two exaust pipes to install it but the hitch the becomes part of the exaust support structure.
  • Options
    Your procedure in #7360 works. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    lakedoglakedog Member Posts: 15
    I used 87 octane in my first several tanks, not happy with the performance. Stepped up to 89 and noticed a big difference in smoothness of performance, but the gas mileage did NOT improve, I'm still getting only 16 mpg, A/C on in city driving. That's way off what the sticker indicated. Any suggestions? :mad:
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    I always use 91 octane or better, and have found that my city mpg (a/c always on) averages 17-19mpg, but your city driving may be vastly different than mine (more stop signs/traffic lights/traffic, but i'm sure the octane you're using is at least partly responsible. Try Sunoco 93 or 94 octane to see if a big jump in octane from your 87/89 usage has any effect. Let us know.
    Deanie
  • Options
    bogeygolferbogeygolfer Member Posts: 17
    Does anybody know what the two "Hold" labels on the smart key are for? They are located beside the trunk release (9'o clock position) and panic (3'o clock position).

I tried to check the user manual and wasn't able to find any information.

I wonder if it's a simple as "hold this button to open the trunk" ? duh...

Any help is appreciated...
  • Options
    bogeygolferbogeygolfer Member Posts: 17
    Does anybody know how to disable the "beep" when locking and unlocking the car using the smart key?

Thanks.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    This is to notify you that you need to hold the truck release button on the remote for a couple of seconds for it to work. They do this so that you don't accidently open the trunk by pushing the wrong button and added the "hold" label as some people thought that the button didn't work when they first started having the trunk opening button and they just pressed it quickly.

Ken
  • Options
    boltz1boltz1 Member Posts: 3
    Does this procedure address the flashing light in the instrument panel as well?
  • Options
    It stopped all beeping on mine, the slow and the fast, but the flashing light never stops flashing.
  • Options
    Lakedog...I'm in the same situation as you, 16.8 mpg A/C on in city driving on each of 2 complete tank fulls of gas (1st tank full was 89 and the 2nd was 91 or 93). Octane didn't change mpg. On this tank full I am driving without AC and am getting 3mpg more under the exact same conditions. Do you do mainly short trips like me?

perico1 and limiteddriver...thanks!
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    This is really weird. I'm a real lead foot, and will probably need brakepads @ 15K. And I'm getting 22.6 consistently city/hwy mix around town on 87 octane. What's with these 16-17 figures?

Steve
  • Options
    gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    "Certain high performance engines benefit from use of high octane fuel. For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas."

From... http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb100401.htm
  • Options
    This is really weird. I'm a real lead foot, and will probably need brakepads 15K. And I'm getting 22.6 consistently city/hwy mix around town on 87 octane. What's with these 16-17 figures?

Steve...I have no idea but I will have the dealer look into it. Does anyone out there have any clues?
  • Options
    dmorcosdmorcos Member Posts: 22
    Where does that 40hp come from?
    I thought the numbers were around 2~3% power loss with the different grades. That is more like 5~8 hp loss total.
    I do get 22~23 mpg with air on in town. 26~27 mpg mixed with 87 Oct. gas.
    Also, I have used 93 and 87 and see no change in mpg's. Heck, using 87 driving on a flat road, my computer showed 36.1 in 9 minutes of travel.
  • Options
    hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    I also have been getting 17-18 in the city. The only variable I can think of that may be the determining factor is the A/C. Here in TX the A/C runs non stop and the temp is near 100 every day. If you search the boards you will find a lot of other people who get the same figures. I thought after the engine broke in it would get better and at one point it did. But it was because I actually took a trip and opened it up on the highway.
  • Options
    bielagusbielagus Member Posts: 2
    I drove four 2005 Avalons before buying my XLS, one Touring, one Ltd, and two XLS. I *did not* drive mine, as it was on order and I had kids pick it up while I was on business trip. The suspension seems very tight, like a Touring, not an XLS. I feel every bump - not a smooth ride at all. Makes me sick with the tossing. I have 17' wheels with Bridgestone Turanzas. Dealer took it for a drive says car is fine, and that they have no way to find out what suspension was put on car.

Anyone else have this problem? How do I find out if they put wrong struts et al on car? What is the difference between Touring and XLS suspensions? Can performance be measured with electronics, or is this just "feel".
  • Options
    jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Check your tire pressure!
  • Options
    bielagusbielagus Member Posts: 2
    32 psi. Note it was delivered with 38 PSI. Small improvement when I adjusted pressure.