Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Quit worrying about your family sedan getting "smoked" by a "muscle car", it is nothing to be ashamed of. I did extensive research on the Avalon and compared all the specs and performance to the BMW 3 & 5 Series, G35, TL, Maxima and a couple of others. Road tests show the Avalon WILL "out drag" 0-60 the 3 & 5 Series, G35, TL and Maxima. I do know from personal experience it is "1 Hot Car!" I grew-up owning and "dragging" with 396 Chevy's, Buick Gran Sports, Mopars, Pontiac GTO's etc. I'll tell ya this, I'd put my Avalon Limited's 3.5 V-6 "rice burner"--automatic and all, and beat the majority 0-60. Avalon 0-60 time is 6.7 seconds--I remember when 0-60 in 10 seconds or less was awesome! Lets see--26-30 MPG--church quiet--sofa comfortable seats--limo ride/room plus Toyota quality and we're going to worry about getting "smoked" by Dodge Neon muscle car--huh?! Enjoy your Avalon for what it is: A world class sedan and then get to the red light and go "beat up" on a BMW, Lexus, Maxima, Inifiniti or a TL.
    Bob
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, there can be, likely is, a significant amount of "slack" in the gas pedal insofar as moving from a fully released position to initial engine RPM rising. The shop manual indicates that while the sensor output in the fully released position can be very close to zero volts the engine/transaxle ECU will not "see", acknowledge, movement of the gas pedal until the sensor output voltage reaches or exceeds 0.8 volts.

Since the fully depressed sensor voltage is typically in the range of 3.6 volts that 0.8 volts of free, slack, travel can be quite noticeable.

It is also possible that your pedal position sensor were, have been, miscalibrated, or maybe even drifted significantly.

You can recalibrate yourself by first being sure the pedal is in the fully released position and then disconnecting the battery for 10 to 15 minutes being sure the pedal remains in the fully released position for at least 30 seconds after the battery is reconnected.

Also always be sure your foot, nor a carpet mat, is NOT resting on the accelerator pedal as you apply the brakes in order to release the shifter from the park position.

There are two sensors involved in the accelerator position sensing, both of the non-contact hall-effect type. The first one is used to determine the actual position and the second to validate the first.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Thanks wwest. I saw your post on the Lexus forum about recalibrating so last week I followed your procedure but it didn't make any difference. Its a real pain to reset the windows, moonroof, doorlocks, compass etc! You'd think Toyota would use an on-board Ni-Cd or something.
    I guess there isn't any adjustment so that the minimum voltage in the fully released position can be slightly increased to minimize the zero to .08 volt "slack"? I had figured that I could possibly adjust it to increase the voltage to the point where the idle RPM's increase, and then back it off until the idle falls back to normal???
    How do the non-contact sensors work? I guess one is hall-effect (magnetic) and the other optical? Time to visit Radio-Shack to hack together a workable replacement. ;)
    Heck, I wish they used a CABLE!!!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    have a very good friend with a 06 530 that he paid $54k for on a $58k sticker - options include sport package, active steer, leather/power seat package and audio upgrade. We have tried it - and no the Avalon is quicker all the way across the board, if manually shifted and neck and neck if the Av trans. is left to shift on its own. Even though, the Av is a larger car, I end up about 3 mpg better overall. His 530 has been beset with numerous electronic gremlins (as German cars are prone to do these days) and he has yet to face the prospect of four figure brake jobs and 'tune-ups'. And the 530 is about as quiet as my Av Touring - the 'noisest' of the all the trims.
    Is the BMW a better driving car - of course - even comparing it to cars that are 20 or 25 thousand cheaper is ludricrous - but, I just did that didn't I?
  • Options
    mauvemauve Member Posts: 4
    I took our 2006 Avalon to a dealer this morning regarding the loose fog lights, THEY SAY THIS IS NORMAL. Any comment?
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Checked mine today to see when the RPM increased and I have so close to zero lag that you can't notice it.
  • Options
    Several people with loose ones on '05 models had them replaced under warranty including one I had.
  • Options
    Thanks. Good to know this may not be typical.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The LIGHT isn't loose, it's the housing which surrounds it. I don't know if it's normal or not...my housing is loose but doesn't affect the aim of my lights, so I don't worry about it, otherwise I might get an ulcer.
    zekeman1
  • Options
    Many different options here with thingamabob's; have you stopped by a customizing shop and asked their suggestions? Remember, anything can be done...just takes green.
    zekeman1
  • Options
    .....but I am only 5'11" and I hit my head on the roof
    How can that be? I'm 6'2" with an 05 LTD and I clear the roof nicely...are you sitting on phone books?

Believe my car is an anomaly...nothing at all wrong with it except some loose foglight housings; otherwise, quiet, powerful, comfortable, economical (26 mpg consistently in city), no hesitation, no shuddering and I didn't even test drive it...just told them to get me one, had it delivered and paid for it then drove it away.

I believe more often than not, people who are genuinely pleased with their Avalon just sit back, grin to themselves and keep quiet about their gem.
    zekeman1
  • Options
    joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    He/she may have a longer upper body and/or shorter legs which may result in taller effective height than yourself at 6'2"...
  • Options
    tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    I am puzzled by your comments on headroom. I am 6'3" and have plenty of room. My son is 6'5" and fits just fine too. Which Avalon model do you have? I thought all of them had height-adjustable power seats but perhaps yours doesn't.

The fact that you're comparing the Avalon to a BMW 3 series suggests that you definitely bought the wrong car. My Avalon really sucks by comparison to my Suburban in terms of towing and cargo space. But that's not a fair comparison because they are designed for completely different purposes. I really wouldn't expect BMW 3 series buyers to even darken the lot of a Toyota dealer. But then, I have absolutely no interest in a BMW either.

Sounds to me like you're a real BMW fan. That's fine. But if a BMW is what you want then you'll always be unhappy with the Avalon -- or anything else. Trade the Avalon. Get a BMW.
  • Options
    tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    ...perhaps but I don't think there's any way that someone 5'11" is taller in the upper body than my son who is 6'5". He seemed quite comfortable in the passenger seat of my rental Avalon and that side doesn't height adjust.
  • Options
    splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    No, he could be right. I'm a tiny bit under six feet with a long trunk and my head was brushing against the headliner of an avy with a sunroof. I sit with the rear seat back fairly upright. Heck, who knows? I'm still a muscle-ly wrestler so maybe I have more padding on the seat than others. :blush: Still, I was suprised to find the limited headroom on the car...
  • Options
    rsteinbrsteinb Member Posts: 1
    Hi-- I'd like to know the solution to your Rt. front passenger seat rattle.

Thanks
  • Options
    mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    A Toyota TSB has been issued for the repair of the loose fog light housing, FOG LAMPS LOOSE – BO007-06. Give that number to the service writer and they will confirm you have the loose housing and they should fix it as long as your Avalon is still under warranty.
  • Options
    gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I've got an '06 XL on order for business car to replace my '03 XL. I couldn't see spending the extra money on useless items like leather just to get a better suspension.

While the addtional 50HP is nice, I agree that the slightly soft suspension really holds back the car, handlingwise.

The shocks on my '03 went "jello" after about 25K ( under designed) and I replaced with KYB gas for about $700 installed. Made a huge improvement, ride slightly firmer but tracking and handling much better. Still working well at 73K miles.

Hopefully, the engineers didn't make the same mistake on the redesign but if the XL shocks go bad, I'll check with the Tokico or KYB sites for a gas replacement.
  • Options
    (Repost of my original post #8011:)

Description: Front passenger seat rattle which can be reproduced by gently drumming on the backrest of the seat.
    Disclaimer: No responsibility is taken for damage to your vehicle, and there is no guarantee that this will fix your specific seat rattle.
    These instructions are provided for informational purposes only. Use them at your own risk.

1. From the rear passenger area, loosen the lower fabric-covering which covers the bottom of the back of the front passenger seat area by unhooking the plastic retaining clips which are hooked underneath the seat.
    2. Pulling the fabric covering toward you, locate and remove the two Phillips screws securing the plastic panel, located on the left and right hand side of the underside of the seat.
    3. Swing the plastic panel gently toward you and then GENTLY pull down and toward you.
    (You may be able to avoid unhooking the panel if you can locate the harness and insulate it from the side.)
    4. The panel should unhook from the securing mechanism on the inside of the panel. Do not pull the panel away from the seat - you will damage the harness.
    5. Locate the black wiring harness that runs vertically along the inside of the plastic panel. A flashlight may help.
    6. Place self adhesive weather-stripping (available from Home Depot) along the inside of the panel where the harness contacts the panel, and/or wrap weather-stripping around the harness to prevent contact.
    * Do not excessively stress the harness.
    7. Replace the plastic panel by aligning the hooks on the inside of the panel with the securing mechanism at the top of the inside of the seat, while GENTLY pushing forward and upward - tricky.
    8. Replace Phillips screws making sure that the screws pass through both the plastic panel and the fabric covering holes. Very awkward!
    9. Pull fabric covering evenly underneath the seat and secure the retaining clips under the seat.

Note: Plastic retaining clips and plastic hooks can be easily broken. Do not force anything. Be gentle and methodical.
  • Options
    Description: Rear parcel shelf rattle. May rattle along the entire shelf area or in the interior panels covering the side airbag in the C-pillars.

Disclaimer: No responsibility is taken for damage to your vehicle, and there is no guarantee that this will fix your specific rattle.

These instructions are provided for informational purposes only. Use them at your own risk.

1. Incline the split rear seat backrests to it's furthest forward position.
    2. Remove the 3 rear headrests.
    3. Starting from the right of the vehicle, insert fingers in the gap between parcel shelf and top of rear seat backrest.
    4. Gently pull parcel shelf upward a couple of inches and slide hand backward toward center of shelf until the plastic clips under the parcel shelf release.
    5. Progressively moving toward the left of the vehicle, repeat above until the parcel shelf is tilted upwards at the front.
    6. Using square strips of foam cut to size, work the foam under the parcel shelf to the left and to the right of the rear speaker.
    7. Do not place the foam over the speaker.
    8. Place a piece of foam just forward of the speaker.
    9. Starting from the right and working to the left, gently but firmly push the parcel shelf down so the clips lock back into place.
    10.Where it meets the lower rear windshield, gently pull away the bottom right-hand corner of the panel
    covering the right C pillar just enough that you can work in and underneath a small piece of foam - approx 2"x 2". DO NOT USE LARGE PIECES OF FOAM THAT COULD ENCROACH ON THE SIDE-AIR BAG.
    11. Press the panel back into place.
    12. Repeat for left hand-side panel.
    13. Replace headrests.
    14. Adjust rear-seat backrest recline.

Note: Plastic retaining clips can be easily broken. Do not force anything. Be gentle and methodical.
  • Options
    geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    Does anybody have a solution to the bumper guards that come unstuck from the bumper? Where mine turn around to the side they come loose. They've been pretty handy so far as I visit the hospital parking lots and food store parking lots frequently
  • Options
    neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I had 5 series, great driver about 500.00/mo in shop. Sensors and leaks all around. Sold it 96K miles for Avalon. A bit of a change, but more room, faster, more electronics, better stereo by far, better mileage. Cheaper on parts...I almost forgot the bimmer. Not sorry at all!!
  • Options
    neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    what bumper guards? Side color-Moldings? Where do they turn?
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    gerry100:

Glad to here you are getting a new one. Hopefully, it will be better than the 03 without your KYB's. Stick with that brand or Tokico, and stay away from high pressure gas shocks unless you are taking the car to the track.

abfisch
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    alan_s: Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a shot over this weekend.

While we're on the topic, could you provide the instructions for fixing driver dash rattle? The rear shelf and the driver dash are the only rattles I have, and I'd love to get rid of them :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    I got bumper guards for the front and rear bumpers on the internet and glued them on. I had them molded across the front and around to the side of the bumper as I seem to hit people side wise. Now they have come unglued and stick out straight from the side of the bumper.
  • Options
    fragmire: Please describe in as much detail as you can the driver dash rattle - perceived location, what it sounds like, how often it makes a noise, at any specific temperature?
    Can you reproduce it by pressing on any dash parts? Remember that sound travels so the source of the rattle may be different from where the rattle sounds like it is coming from. The windshield is particularly good at deflecting sounds, so for example, a noise by the rear-view mirror may sound like it is coming from the top of the dash.
    I need more info...
  • Options
    suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Well I want to know if there's anything wrong with the current (2006) Avalon..."Touring" especially. Since I'm currently shopping for one and wanted to know if there's anything that consumers are complaining about example:radio reception, seats, brakes....etc. And is there any options from the dealership that I shouldn't even bother with buying such as mud guards, remote starter... Well any info will helpful!
    Thanks
    Suave Tequila :)
  • Options
    jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Don't take our word for it - take a test drive and make up your own mind. My '05 LTD is fantastic.
  • Options
    Well I did test drive it and WOW! (not to long ago) Very nice, but wanted other people opinions since I was almost a victim of buying a Chrysler 300 C.... consumers are hating themselves for buying it! :sick:

Jicka, what color ext/int was yours btw? Any cons about the car?
    THANKS
    Suave Tequila
  • Options
    I haven't seen any thing yet that Gorilla Glue doesn't work on.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Go back and read some (many) of the posts here. You'll find answers to the questions you asked. :)
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    have had my 05 Touring for about a year now - 24k miles. absolutely love the car and much prefer it to the other trims (my wife is currently driving an XL). It is certainly no sports car, but a much more 'sporting' tighter feel to it than the other trims. Last year the other cars I looked at were the TL and G35, and have been happy with my 'softer' selection of the Av Touring.
    Problems - did have a minor oil leak that took a while for Toyota to get fixed and have been generally disappointed with the general level of knowledge the dealers have had about my car. The particular dealer, however, very accommodating, sometimes apologetic, and overall satisfactory. Since this engine is rapidly becoming 'the' engine in many Toyota/Lexus products expect this situation will soon no longer exist.
    The oft discussed 'transmission hesitation' does, in fact, exist and really is not the transmission at all but rather the computer that controls it. It holds the highest gear possible (probably for fuel economy) regardless of speed, so it is possible that after coasting down to say 30mph that the trans. is still in 4th, when it really needs to be in 2nd. So, when you really punch it, a multiple gear downshift is required and it does, sometimes, take a extra second or so to get to the right gear. All this said - if I had my choice between a couple of extra mpg and 'fixing' the trans, I'd probably take the mpg - do not find it objectionable at all.
    Get 27 mpg overall (70% highway), it is the most powerful, comfortable, and economical car I've ever owned - and would buy another one in something less than a NY minute!
  • Options
    catman2050catman2050 Member Posts: 28
    I just ordered a Cassis Pearl (Garnet) Avalon Touring...so I can't tell you about any problems that might exist in the car. However, I can tell you that I test drove a lot of vehicles...some repeatedley...and I read a lot of stuff before deciding on the Avalon. The Avalon had the best combination of stuff that I was looking for...power, comfort, decent handling, room, good stereo, at least average reliability, solid visibility, good safety, good gas mileage, good turning radius. I like the interior of the Touring with the black leather and hammered aluminum trim (better than that fake wood stuff IMO). As far as the transmission/computer delay...from what I've read, if you drive in the manu-matic mode, this isn't so much of an issue.

Here are some of the other cars I ruled out and why...

Dodge Charger RT. loved the feeling of getting thrown back into my seat during the test drive. but, outside of that initial rush and the attitude that the car presents, its lacking. gas mileage stinks (from what I've read, you will only come close to the EPA numbers if you don't punch it...and that's really the only reason to buy the car...so, if you punch it often, say hello to 12-14 MPG). plus, becuase it has the same engine as the 300C and the Magnum, I read up on those cars and was not happy with the reliability. also, visibility was an issue for me in the Charger. and, as a friend suggested, he wouldn't worry so much about the visibility...but that I would get bored to death because the interior was fairly bland.

Nissan Altima SE-R. the side bolsters would have caused my shoulders and then my back to scream on a trip of any distance. Nissan screwed up in designing these seats. The interior is sweet and it handles real well. the lack of rear A/C vents was also an issue because if you buy a car of any size in FLA...and if it only comes with black interior...it really needs rear A/C vents.

Hyundai Azera. I'm someone who doesn't cringe at the name because I know people who own and have owned Hyundais and I know they have come a far way in improving quality. The problem I had with the Azera is that it seemed like it had to work so dang hard to get to 80...and that caused me to feel like I was working hard. Also, the handling wasn't nearly as good as the Avalon Touring IMO. and, I really hate fake wood on the interior...especially on the steering wheel (if I wanted a plastic steering wheel, I'd get a base line Civic or something).

Infiniti G35. sweet car, but not enough rear seat room for 2 car seats (unless I wanted my kids' feet planted through the front seats).

Nissan Maxima. hate the turning radius. Also, I'm not a big fan of the interior.
  • Options
    alan_s: I believe my driver dash rattle is what you titled as "Dash area below steering column" in your post #11589. Specifically, the rattling noise can come from anywhere between the driver-side air vent and right behind the steering column, so there is probably some noise deflection in the works. It's difficult for me to fully reproduce this rattle by knocking on the dash since the noise usually gets overwhelmed by the sound generated by the knocking.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Gerry:
    Thanks for the input. I called Tokico several months ago and they said there were no plans in the works to make any 05+ Avalon shock replacements - sport-tuned or otherwise. I haven't checked with KYB yet. If you learn anything, please let me know. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Deanie.

P.S. Better than its appearance/luxury feel and smell, leather is resistant to kiddie spit-up and wipes clean. In cloth seats, the spit-up soaks through into the foam if left long enough and the smell may never go away. Aside from cost, leather's downside is that it offers less grip of your body in corners and gets hot/cold with the weather.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! Well I'm currently shopping an Avalon for my mother which (I think) wont punch the gas pedal. lol :D Yes this is one heck of a car for the money! Wouldn't mind driving it when she's not using it. Not worried at all about this car since its from Toyota! I wonder if any of you have that optional remote starter installed, thats not a Limited version.

Thanks
    Suave Tequila
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Even a few of the dealers I've talked with say don't buy their remote starter, it only has an effective range of 50 feet. You also have to buy the Toyota alarm system when you opt for the remote starter!

You can buy an aftermarket remote system with a 2000 foot range for about $330.00, which is what I plan on doing.
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Recent posts suggested that drivers who habitually press on the gas pedal with the tip of the foot may get more inconsistent action and may in fact confuse the control unit.

To understand why this may happen, try the following experiment.

Park in a well ventilated place. Turn the engine on, leave the shifter in Park and the parking brake engaged. Step out of the car, sit on the door sill, reach in with your right hand and feel the gas pedal. It is curved, convex, just about 4" long. The bottom edge of the pedal is about 4" up from the floor. The middle of the pedal is its most prominent point and it is about 6" up from the floor.

Now try to activate the gas pedal manually.

Using just one finger, press a few times on the middle of the pedal, where it bulges most. Note the resistance the pedal offers, and note how much the engine revs up with increased pressure.

Now, use the same finger to press a few times at the bottom of the gas pedal. You should notice much less resistance, and the engine may roar on you as it revs up much more for the same pressure.

People who habitually step on the gas pedal using the tip of the foot are likely to hold the foot more horizontal, and make contact at the bottom of the pedal. In this situation there is much less resistance, so it is possible to cause a lot more movement of the gas pedal and bigger changes in engine response, a situation that is more difficult to control.

If this is your case, you may want to try to move your seat up closer to the pedals, so that your right heel is nearly directly under the gas pedal and your foot is nearly vertical. This will allow for the middle of the foot to contact the middle of the pedal, whree your foot will encounter a greater resistance to depression of the pedal. This will make it much easier to control the amount of steady pressure and any changes up or down from steady pressure. Which is what the electronic control unit prefers.

Hope this helps!

havalongavalon
  • Options
    endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    Not true. I have an 06 Limited with remote start - no alarm system installed. The two are different options. As for the range, I've had no problems at all. Stood on the 10th floor of the hospital - looking out over the parking lot on a cold January day and started the car fine. If you don't buy the remote start from the factory on the Limited, you may have a ton of trouble getting and after-market installed and working properly due to the key system on the Limited. Even if you do, you're then fumbling with 2 fobs instead of one.
  • Options
    nidalnidal Member Posts: 9
    Two and half months ago I wrote post this message, I found through this forum many post that many likes the car and many doesn’t. I am her to express my feeling after buying the car one month ago 06 LTD, and drove only 1500 KM.

The car performance and acceleration is similar to what all found, it is smooth, fast, active. It is more than excellent for such car category and it is fun to drive. Once I feel bored or stressed, I take it for a ride, enjoy its sound system and handling.

Problems: None (So far)
    Rattle: None (So far)
    Engine Sound: When it is cold it is like a diesel Engine, but when become warm, it likes any 6 cylinder German Cars. So I found it like European style Engines.
    Transmition: I had Honda Accord 03 V6 EX. it is much smoother and engine / Transmission synchronization is away better than the Avalon. You can feel this once you are driving @ low speed and lots of stop. In normal roads / high way, the car is wonderful.

Noise: may be it is the 17" wheels, road noise is little high but it is acceptable, wind noise, I think Toyota has to do something. The car is quit but the Air flow is hearable and annoying your quietness.

Sound system: It is Car Theater, I loved it too much, it has very nice output, comfortable to hear, enough bass. Should any body need more, then he shouldn’t look into such category.

As a conclusion, I think I made the right decision to buy it, and I cannot find real competitor to it as for all over. You cannot find ANY car with 100% satisfaction I rate the Avalon 90 %.

It is the best money can buy.
  • Options
    Wow, what a great explanation. Unfortunately some readers probably still won't move their foot to the better position.
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    Greetings,
    I've had my 05 Avalon Limited now since May 2005.
    It's been to the dealer 9 times for various issues, including the following unresolved issues:

Squeaking dashboard (only when you park in warm garage and take it out into the cold)

Rear-Shelf Rattles

Horrible Seats

My dealership has told me there is nothing more they can do, and would have to get the Toyota Rep invloved. The Service manager does not contest my issues, however I'm not sure they've even made a best attempt effort to fix my problems. I know they put a ton of foam in the rear shelf after bringing it in 3 times for the same as yet to be resolved issue. I finally got smart and said I wasn't picking up the car unless the Service Manager drove it with me to see if it was fixed. Since I started doing that, now he claims there is nothing more they can do. It's hard to say it's fixed when the Service Manager can hear it as well.

Now I'm told I must pick my car up & wait for Toyota to contact me directly.
    Anyone ever deal with this situation before and any advice on how to best handle this.
    Remember my biggest problems are when it's cold out after being in the garage all day or all night and with Spring upon us I know my dealership is just blowing me off. :mad:
    Many Thanks to all
    LJS
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    "Not true. I have an 06 Limited with remote start - no alarm system installed. The two are different options."

I may stand corrected and options do vary by region, i.e. Gulf States or S. East region. I have been looking at a Touring model and when you select (V4 - remote start) then (PN - alarm system) is required. If you're in the S.E. Region the remote start is (QR9 - remote start) but (PN - alarm system) is still required.

XLS & Limited both come standard with (PN - alarm system), it's optional on XL & Touring.

Are you sure you don't have it??? It should be controlled by your Smart Key unit. I'd check with your dealer.
  • Options
    disco340disco340 Member Posts: 17
    Happens to me as well. The back button trick won't help when your putting in an address, your still going to have to go back and attempt to put it in again. by the 3rd or 4th try I am usually sucsesful in getting the address right otherwise I just give up.
  • Options
    I would REALLY like to have the Navigation System on the Touring editon, but not included. Wanted to know if its possible talking to the dealership and having them install the navigation on the Touring, I wouldn't mind spending an additional 2K, could've opted for the Limited version, but I dont like the wood, and it doesn't offer black interior!
    THANKS
    Suave Tequila

Oh.... Also what color is your Avalon, everyone here in this forum! Just want to know which is the most poupular, thinking of either getting white or silver! :D
  • Options
    bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Suave Tequila: I have an 06 Limited w/Nav--SOOOOOOO sorry I got it----not user friendly--go buy a $500-$900 Garmin or similar system--you'll be a lot happier and with the savings you can upgrade to an XLS or Limited. Seriously, the Toyota Nv System has a long way to go to catch-up with the TL or Infiniti. Other than the Nav System---I love the Limited--heated & cooled seats--laser cruise--remote start etc. Enjoy your new Avalon!!
    Bob
  • Options
    suave_tequila: I have to disagree with bobwiley in that I love the Nav in my Avalon Limited. It has never pointed me to an incorrect location, and I have yet to put in an address that it doesn't recognize (maybe the data is more complete for VA and CA?). The voice command system is very useful (near 100% accuracy for me, even when speaking in a soft voice with people talking in the rear seat area), and adds to that coolness factor. Several of my co-workers are simply amazed at what I can do with simple voice commands while driving, without dividing my attention to the knobs and buttons on the center dash.

One thing I wish the Nav had though is touch-screen. I sat next to a Lexus sales while he demonstrated the Nav in a GS 300. Touch-screen is significantly faster and easier to use than a joystick (which works for me about 95% of the time). I also suspect that the GS 300 has a different system since even though the appearance is similar, the response time is much faster on the GS and there are minor stylistic differences between the GS Nav and the Avalon Nav. But I digress.

In short, I'm very happy that I spent the extra money to get the Nav system. I would not have been as happy with an add-on solution since 1) most do not come with voice recognition, and 2) the screen would be MUCH smaller. Don't forget that you get some other nifty features like maintenance reminder (don't think it's available on models w/o Nav, but correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Options
    jhvelezjhvelez Member Posts: 3
    Hi:

Got the Headlight assembly and noticed that out of the four connectors, two different (probably high/low beams). How do I solve this? Do I need to replace the Headlight Wiring Harness or can I get connectors that can interface between the current wiring harness and the headlight assembly? If so, how much? or a part number to get the job done would help dearly. I talked with the Toyota Dealers here in Puerto Rico and they do not have any knowledge on how to do this, they are clueless! At this point I know more than they do, and believe me, I do not know much!!! So, I ask your assistance my fellow Avaloneers! Like I Say, parts numbers or any assistance would help! Thanks.
  • Options
    Your dealer can get an Avalon wiring diagram manual that would help you. maybe not in Spanish though.