Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    We had/have 05 and 06 both Limited and never have any issue with the gas door release. Our family get into Toyota back in 97 with the new Camry, since then, we have/had 5-6 Toyota and never have issue with the fuel door. Sorry to hear about your problem.
  • Options
    jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    This is what happens, after about 4 years, the door doesn't open when released. I have to place a credit card in the slot to put some pressure on the door, it then releases. So I bend the spring out a little & it works for a week or so and again will not release, credit card, bend spring, over & over & eventually the so-called spring (not tempered steel) snaps & I have to purchase a new one. I've had 2 Mitsubishi's, no problem, Chevy's, Fords, Chryslers, Mazda's, no problem BUT the most expensive vehicle I ever purchased, they put on a cheap flat non-tempered piece of junk to open the gas door & these days I open it a lot. My Camry did it & now an Avalon, same piece of junk spring. Other than that the car is almost great, although I wish the rear seat space were not as large, I'd prefer a larger trunk & seats that fold down for that occassional Lowe's or HD visit & a cigarette lighter to plug stuff in, like my Garmin instead of having the cord all over the place. With Japan's woes, I doubt I'll be buying a new 2012 Avalon as planned, I'll be looking elsewhere, after 7 years same style, well BORING
  • Options
    gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Finally got the steering box replaced at a local Toyota dealer. The total boll was around $550.00 of which Toyota paid $100.00 Toward the repair. The car had only 59000km on it and should have never had this problem. I have now just sold it and was disappointed with Toyota's response to the problem. I know of many other folks with these cars having the same problem. We have purchased a 2010 Lexus RX which I hope has better quality than the Avalon. So far I am enjoying the ride.
    Cheers,
    JB
  • Options
    TOO LATE FOR YOU BUT TO ALL, NEVER, NEVER, PURCHASE THE FIRST YEAR OF ANY AUTOMOBILE AFTER A COMPLETE STYLE CHANGE THEY ALWAYS HAVE QUIRKS. I HAVE AN O6, EXCEPT FOR THE STUPID GAS DOOR I'VE HAD NO REAL PROBLEMS. THERE ARE THINGS THAT ANNOY ME & IT MIGHT BE BENEFICIAL TO ASK "US" THE CUSTOMERS WHAT WE WANT BUT TOYOYA GOT JUST LIKE THE "BIG" THREE, FAT, DUMB & HAPPY, ALONG WITH A LOT OF ARROGANCE.............THIS YEAR WILL PROBABLY KILL THE JAPANESE CAR SALES, WHAT WITH THE JAPANESE PROBLEMS, I REALLY DO FEEL FOR THEM.
  • Options
    mark268mark268 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    I purchased a 2005 XLS with 83,300 miles in January, 2011 after having owned a 2004 XLS for 15 months. According to the window sticker this car was #3023 of all 2005 Avalons. Luckily, I bought it from the original dealer (previous owner has had 3 Avalons and now owns a 2011) and could access all service records at Toyota.com. A salesman still at this southern Ohio dealership still remembers my car as being the 1st 2005 they had. Anyway, I recognized the idiosyncrasies of the transmission after merely a few hours/miles of driving. Only once, "flooring it" from a stop sign, has the transmission/engine not done what I wanted it to do. I've read this forum from post #1 and I'm now up to #13,500! I personally feel that the 2005 is "twice" the car that the 2004 was. However, there were some puzzling deletions/changes from 2004, but of no real significance IMO. I've had the 4 recalls done since January and all I have now is an oil drip that started with the warm weather ( but is still not a good thing.) I would recommend this car to anyone!
  • Options
    popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    If your recalls did not include replacement of the VVTi rubber oil line on the engine, the oil drip could be a forewarning of a complete rupture of this oil line which could result in the loss of all engine oil while driving down the road.

Your dealer is very aware of this particular problem on all V6 Toyota engines prior to 2008.
  • Options
    mark268mark268 Member Posts: 6
    That was one of the recalls that was done. The dealership says that spilled oil on the frame during that procedure is causing the very minor drip. They even cleaned the nooks and crannies during my last oil change (to no avail). And it's been stated in this forum before, but they only put in 5 quarts of oil, as I only discovered after I got home! But they did apologize, at least.
  • Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I kind of disagree based on my own experience.

We had/have owned 97 Camry, 01 and 07 Highlander, 04 Sienna, 05 and 06 Avalon. I really have NO "1st year" car problem at all. I guess it's hit or miss and some time luck plays a role as well.

I do agree 1st year model might have higher % of failure.

Too bad, some newer Honda and Toyota are starting to go with mass production with lower quality. Isn't it how old the big 3 failed?
  • Options
    IF "ALL THESE VEHICLES WERE "1ST." YEAR PRODUCTION MODELS, THEN PLEASE PICK THE MEGA MILLIONS NUMBERS FOR ME BECAUSE YOU ARE EXTREMELY LUCKY. I WAS REFERRING TO A COMPLETE, AS IN MOTOR, TRANSMISSION ETC, NOT A STYLING CHANGE. 2005 WAS SUCH A MODEL, MINE SAYS 2006 BUT IT WAS DELIVERED IN JULY, SO IN ACTUALITY IT IS A 2007, AS IT WAS PAST THE PRODUCTION DATE.
  • Options
    jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Bought a 05 Avy new and last Oct. bought a 2010 Subaru Outback, which was a total makeover from the prior models, including a CVT transmission. Both have been great cars, so loucapri has a point.
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    If you have an Avalon with an oil line recall, get it fixed! Put mine off as I did not want the other recall work.. accelerator, floor mats, whatever..... done and did not want to argue about it with the dealer. The line failed in my garage, had a quart of oil on the floor in 2 minutes or less. I was lucky... recall work finished, including a steering bracket I had forgotten about. The car runs as it did before, perfect. Lesson learned, get it fixed....!
  • Options
    davepiszykdavepiszyk Member Posts: 16
    Exactly. My oil line failed while I was driving. Luckily it blew in front of my house after driving 150 miles home....Lost all the oil on the street in front of my house and driveway. Had the car towed to the dealer and fixed.
    The vehicle had less than 1,000 miles on it when it blew. The windshield washer reservoir also has a recall as the connector hose fails. My car was 2 months old when it failed.......
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I must been lucky, my 06 didn't have either of those pop up while I had it, of course, I only had it 3 years and 30K miles.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    gombeynailgombeynail Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a self-help fix for this? Mine stuck in the up position and the dealer gave me the $1300 estimate, but put it down for me. I didn't touch that button, but after a couple of months I started getting the 20-second buzz when I go into reverse the first time. I have not yet tried to disconnect it.
  • Options
    missaleniusmissalenius Member Posts: 3
    This is absolutely maddening! I posted about this months ago and I had the same $1300 estimate to fix a problem TOYOTA has! I did not raise the shade, nor can I put it down. It did it on its own. With all the other recalls and electronic issues Toyota has had, it seems someone higher up than a dealer would make it right. I've had no luck, but that seems to be the next move!Let me know if you have any luck!
  • Options
    marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    I visited with my Toyota Dealer a week ago. He was all excited about the newly designed Avalon that he saw at the Dealers show in Los Vegas. He wasn't allowed to take pictures. He said it's totaly redesigned and absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to get a glimpse of it. I have the 2011 Avalon that I love and don't want to sell it. But it all depends on what they bring out later this year in 2011 (Nov/Dec) for the new 2012/2013 Avalon.
    At least this is what he told me.
  • Options
    1kerrdog1kerrdog Member Posts: 1
    Just to let you know I'm selling one on ebay....make an offer. Best, Mike
  • Options
    timcorrtimcorr Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. After dealer said they wanted $2100 to repair, I called Toyota Customer Care.

They admitted that the replacement sensors wouldn't fit the existing manifold, hence the need to replace the manifold as well as the sensors.

I asked for an exception to the 3 year /36000 mile warranty because this was obviously a Toyota error. After they discussed it internally, I was told that Toyota would reimburse me for the repair, which they did.

CALL TOYOTA CUSTOMER CARE !!!
  • Options
    neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I bought car new. Loaded with electronics and came from a BMW 5 series that ate me alive monthly. The avalon has not been absoultely perfect but close. The only thing that is wrong is the left xenon does not autobalance but is fine. And occasional sulfer smell when not in recirc mode and press heavy on the gas. I always put mobile one in, no brakes yet, a/c is great as are heated and cooled seats. I prefer the BMW seats for total comfort but this car has been a bargain for me and I am considering the 2013 model. I hope this helps another out there. PS keep michelins on this car or it pulls a bit.
  • Options
  • Options
    tashidadtashidad Member Posts: 1
    I have the above mentioned car and am looking for best tires for the money.
    Local recommendation is Firestone Precision Touring 215/60/R16 but want to get some feedback from others about this tire and some others that may be comparable.

thanks in advance,
    tashidad
  • Options
    First you have to decide the purpose of these tires, handling, mileage, rain, snow.

I prefer Michelin MXV4's or for a less expensive tire, Dunlop's.
  • Options
    I put Yokahama Avid S 215/60/R16 on my 2007. I have been very pleased with the ride, quietness, etc., for 15K miles. These tires seem to be compared favorably with the Firestone Precision touring, and are reasonably (?) priced. I looked at Toyo tires, but they were very pricey.
  • Options
    terrymacterrymac Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a very nice '06 Avalon XL but the FM radio reception seems very poor and not as good as my now for sale '99 XLS. Antenna is printed on the inside of rear window but I can't tell the difference between rear defroster lines and antenna. Any suggestions for better reception? Thank you.
  • Options
    Apparently you have a rare case of poor reception as I'm in a rural area, my reception is great, I was amazed at the, as you put it, printed antenna performance, even the AM is superb. I am going to hate to give this vehicle up this year if they re-style the 2013. Been waiting 2 years, only have 30,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    terrymacterrymac Member Posts: 5
    I have the regular 16 inch tires on my new to me Avalon and the recommended PSI is only 29, which sounds low to me. My biggest complaint about my old "99 XLS was the low clearance under the car. I was always bottoming out and those tires had 32psi in them. Are you other 2006 Avalon owners with 16 inch tires really only inflating to 29? I was hoping to not bottom out so much in this car. Thanks.
  • Options
    doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    not a rare case.. mine is rubbish also.. my wife's corola can receive stations clearly without extending the antenna, ones which I can not get at all.. [this is in Dubai..]
    but then this is a small thing compared to the many other issues and just another disappointment for me with this cheap quality c**p car..
  • Options
    I live over 65 miles from NYC, I receive all the FM, AM stations from there. considering all the obstacles in it's path I judge that as GOOD reception. Dubai, well I know you're not getiing those stations. Since I have no idea where your broadcasting is coming from, I can't comment, your wife has a metal extending antenna, perhaps you might consider getting one also. As far as cheap quality c**p car, I simply can't agree. My Avalon has not had one problem other than the remote start & a gas door that decides when it wants to open, although I've fixed that by moving the plastic connector to the top when I close it. Is it perfect, no, nothing manmade is. Read the Consumer reports write up on the Benz or Land Rover, Jaguar etc. Very expensive ego purchases that don't perform well at all. I'm fortunate enough to be able to but any car but my Scottish Heritage forces me to be cost conscious, I want more bang for the buck & the Avalon Limited provides me with that. Although if they don't re-style the 2013 I will be looking elsewhere. EIGHT years of the same style, with only face lifts is boring. I hope Toyota monitors this blog.
  • Options
    I have a 2007 with 16" tires and keep them inflated to 29 PSI per the door stickers. I am afraid that 32 PSI would cause a decrease in ride quality.

You just have to remember that any late model Avalon has low clearance and drive accordingly. I have experienced minor bottoming problems on steep driveways, etc., and just try to be extra careful (slower) in those situations.
  • Options
    The 29 PSI is for ride only, as in soft, I use 32 PSI & have for ALL my Toyota's.
  • Options
    I agree that the 29 PSI is for ride, I tried 32 PSI and did not like the harsher ride.

The real point is that 3 PSI will not affect ride height enough to make up for the fact that Avalons do not have a lot of ground clearance, and a person must drive accordingly.
  • Options
    pj122055pj122055 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2012
    I just purchased a 2006 Toyota Avalon used with 57,500 miles
    I bought it used from car dealer, car is excellent
    the tires on it were choppy,but had lots of tread,uncomfortable ride,
    loud noises rolling down the road.
    I decided to put new tires on it researched
    I ended up buying 4 Goodyear comfort tred assurance 215/55/17
    I bought them from Goodyear 600.00 plus alignment,m&b,road hazard
    the tires are suppose to be quiet and a comfortable ride'
    also they are competitive if you want a goodyear tire they price match
    if you find there tire cheaper somewhere else, which is great
    if you look on tire rack.com and consumer revews,goodyear tires.com
    that will help you make the right choice I am sure.

I have about 200 miles so far, had to end up taking it to the Champion Toyota Dealership Gulf Freeway. I love this dealership new location.
    Goodyear on kirby drive in Pearland Tx, could not balance and align the car correctly.
    I am going to get my money back for alignment and balance
    the one thing I liked about goodyear is you have up till 30 days
    to pick another tire they sale,if you are not happy
    after going to dealer and getting alignment and wheels balanced properly
    I am very happy, I think as I put more miles on these tires I will be happy
    I will let you know. otherwise I would probably go with Michellins tires next time .
  • Options
    tire wobble in cabin area about 44 or 45 miles an hour
    new tires, alignment, balance
    anybody have any suggestions or answers
    struts are all good
  • Options
    Define the wobble. Feel in the seat, feedback thru the steering wheel, or ??
  • Options
    jim2006jim2006 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I have the 2006 XL. I looked in manual for info on changing headlamp bulb, it said to contact dealer. I have read where people have paid a lot for this. In my case the replacement was a sylvania 9006 bulb. Bought for $11. Electric connector pops off with pressure release very simple. Bulb came out with a 1/4 turn counter clock wise. It is tight small hands help, especially on drivers side. Put lub, such as WD-40 around plastic edge that turns back in.
    Took just a few minutes. This was low beam bulb.
    Hope this helps others.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    driving down the road at 44 miles an hour feels like tires out of balance replaced tires with comfort tread by good year front end alignment and balance new brake pads ceramic on front still have it vibration like tire out of balance, struts are good cv axles good.
    I do not know what to do next
    goodyear has replaced tires twice still have problem
    had michelins on previously still have problem
    2 alignments 3 times balanced tires still have problem feels like its coming from the right front but not sure.
    vibration wobble feel in cabin front seat area
    feels like tires no problem felt in steering wheel or brakes
    just feels like a tire is out of balance
    please help anyone with suggestions
  • Options
    dlovesbdlovesb Member Posts: 34
    There has been a steering part issue on the avalon. I have an 05. It could be this. Toyota has issued a recall in the past. You should have been notified already so I would bring it to the dealer.( Their costs )This should have been properly fixed by now. You could also look online for similar issues on a Toyota website . Ask the dealer for this info. Be sure this issue is happening on a different stretch of road as well. These cars are super reliable and comfortable. They are also built on the Lexus platform without the Lexus extra maintenance charges. :)
  • Options
    Just a wild shot, but could there be a problem with the alloy wheel? Avalons have a full size spare so try replacing the entire tire/wheel assembly on the suspected right front and see if there is any change.
  • Options
    I have Michelin MXV4's, great ride, great in snow. Now, wheel balance, on or off the car, wheel alignment, 2 wheel or 4 wheel, have you moved the front wheels to the rear, all of this could make a difference.

Perhaps a front disc is hanging up, or as stated, a wheel is bent, swapping them front to rear might eliminate that. Always a 4 wheel alignment, preferably balancing the wheels first, no help, do the on car balance.

Anyone seen the 2013 Avalon yet ????????????
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I had my car checked out again today replaced ceramic front brake pads
    still have vibration like tires are still out of balance on front end
    vibration seems like its getting worse
    ase mechanic told me motor mount bad
    am replacing it tuesday will see if this helps
    will keep you informed
    will also make sure they torque lug nuts 76
    I read that could be another problem on avalons
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Goodyear Comfort Tred Touring 215 55 17
    smooth and quiet better rating 10 10
    consumer reviews on tires
    check out tire rack reviews
    20% more comfort then most tires
    I have them on my 2006 avalon xls
    just came out last year I believe 2011
  • Options
    I took my car to the shop today and have 2 motor mounts bad
    they are going to replace them and see if this takes care of my problem
    tires feeling out of balance 44 miles an hour
    vibration and wobble will keep you informed if this takes care of problem
  • Options
    obafunque1obafunque1 Member Posts: 13
    Deanie: I just read your post. I have a '06 XLS with 57K miles. Need to replace the struts soon. I had a very good experience in my'00 XLS ( ride was amazingly good) and I would like to try with '06. Have you replaced your struts with Tokico and if so where you bought from and also if you changed your sway bar bushing at the sme time. Please, share with me your experience.
    Thanks,
    Obafunque
  • Options
    Struts @ 57000 miles, is this the NEW TOYOTA QUALITY??????????????

Has anyone seen a picture of the so called, NEW 2013 Avalon ?
  • Options
    I wanted to get back with you all on replacing motors mounts that was the problem goodyear tires comfort treds are good struts are good what a difference,hope this helps
  • Options
    also had all brakes replaced and rotors turned that also helped bought factory oem ceramic pads,
  • Options
    branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    On the display for my 06 XLS, I have lost the 3rd line (MPG, distance to empty, and outside temp). Yesterday, it was working fine; today, it's gone, with just the blank blue background remaining. The top line (audio info) and middle line (climate control) are working fine.

Has anyone else has had this problem?
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I haven't had my 06 for a while but there should a little black button near the display. Try pushing that I believe that info (along with the rest of the screen) can be toggled on/off.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    How do I change the engine air filter on an 05 touring? Advice and comments appreciated.
  • Options
    Look up post #230 on the Edmunds Toyota Avalon Basic Maint. Forum. It's two clips and two hinges on the back of the "lid".