Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    bobt2bobt2 Member Posts: 11
    If this hasn't been suggested yet, call (say) Tirerack and ask them. They're usually pretty up on what will fit and what won't.
  • Options
    yurikyurik Member Posts: 18
    Hi, I also ordered my Limited in Phantom grey pearl, however the dealer told me it didn't come with charcoal interior offering Graphite instead. Are you sure they gave you Charcoal and not Graphite? If this this the case, I'll have to ask dealer to change my order (waiting since March 12). Also,I like dark woodtrim better and dealer told me it will come dark based on my exterior/interior color selection.But now, when I just saw a picture of Black Limited with Light Grey and Light Woodtrim, I'm not sure any more. Does anyone know how the woodtrim selection works and if its possible to select Charcoal Interior with Phantom Grey on Limited model?
    Thanks
  • Options
    figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    i test drove the new car. the gas pedal felt heavier than my '98 xls. the 'leather' felt like vinyl, and the new looks are plain and boring.

i'm getting an x-type instead.
  • Options
    doninildoninil Member Posts: 8
    I have a fleet car that was delivered from Florida to Illinois 2 weeks ago (XLS in Blizzard Pearl with Graphite)and it's still sitting at the dealer. The leasing company says they have not received the MSO from Toyota. The car was delivered in 3 weeks and at 2 weeks, still no paperwork. Anyone else ever have a similar issue?
  • Options
    mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    HAVE ORDERED XLS ,TITANIUM METALLIC WITH GRAPHITE INTERIOR. WANTED LIGHT GRAY ,BUT ONLY CAME WITH THE LIGHT WOOD TRIM WHICH I FELT WAS TOO YELLOW AND BRIGHT FOR MY TASTE. ( I DO LIKE LEXUS LIGHT WOOD TRIM BUT WAS NOT AN OPTION ON MY AVALON.!) SO , IN ORDER TO GET THE DARKER TRIM I HAD TO GO TO GRAPHITE LEATHER . THE WOODTRIM SEEMS TO BE DETERMINED BY THE LIGHTNESS OF THE LEATHER.( I.E.- IVORY AND LIGHT GRAY LEATHER COMES WITH THE LIGHTER WOOD TRIM AND THE GRAPHITE AND CHARCOAL COMES WITH THE DARKER WOOD. I HAVE LOOKED AT EVERY AVALON THAT HAS COME INTO THE TWO DEALERS NEAR ME. MY SUGESTION IS TO GET ON A DEALER WEB SIGHT AND "BUILD YOUR OWN CAR" AND SEE WHAT OPTIONS POP UP. HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THIS FORUM . MY HUBBIE THINKS I AM VERY WELL INFORMED. TEE HEE
    MMG1
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey Pat....where are the Avalon reviews? We are anxiously waiting for them!!! Can you speed up the process? I know there will be tons of great reviews for others to see. We are all anxious to see the ratings as well.
  • Options
    figaromd......Plain and Boring?? No way!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TO THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE CHANGING TIRE SIZE, I WAS TOLD BY A FRIEND THAT WORKS FOR TOYOTA THAT IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!
    Also, it will change the speedometer..it will not be accurate. We were talking about all the information on this forum, and I mentioned that some were changing or wanting to change. This is when I found out. Thought I would give a HEADS UP !!
  • Options
    ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    "...I'm only 20 and I knew before I even drove this car it was going to be the one for me. . . ."

20 and you (Dad?) can afford an Avalon? When I was 20 I had a 1941 Pontiac with a black finish that was so dull it wouldn't even shine in the rain. The trunk was tied to the bumper, the shifter in second gear had to be held up by hand, and top speed was about fifty, although you felt like you were breaking the sound barrier. The back seat was incredibly roomy, though, kind of like a motel on wheels. Cost me $75 and took me a year to pay off. Plus I learned a lot about do-it-yourself repairs. These days I'm feeling kind of like that car.
  • Options
    ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    "...I'm only 20 and I knew before I even drove this car it was going to be the one for me. . . ."

20 and you (Dad?) can afford an Avalon? When I was 20 I had a 1941 Pontiac with a black finish that was so dull it wouldn't even shine in the rain. The trunk was tied to the bumper, the shifter in second gear had to be held up by hand, and top speed was about fifty, although you felt like you were breaking the sound barrier. The back seat was incredibly roomy, though, sort of a motel on wheels. Cost me $75 and took me a year to pay off. Plus I learned a lot about do-it-yourself repairs. These days I'm feeling kind of like that car.
  • Options
    triptrix280.......... WELCOME. I'm glad to see someone else young who bought the Avalon. Isn't it great? I also drove the cars you mentioned, and Avalon won for me!!!! I waxed mine about three weeks after I got it. The seats are awesome just like the rest of the car. I sure hope other reviewers with articles see your age. Some still think it's an old mans car. NOT ANYMORE.
    I parked next to a black BMW 5 series today, and with my limited being black, it really looked great next to it!!! And you know, I liked the looks just as well if not better. Someone posted a few back that they thought this car was boring...I really can't believe they would have the nerve to say that......hope they by a Ford 500 to see what boring is like :)
  • Options
    swardsward Member Posts: 20
    To each his own. When your Jag :lemon: is in the shop, I'll give you a ride in my Avalon if you're ever in West Texas!

sward
  • Options
    yurik,

Charcoal interiors come only on the Touring, which is the only color offered on that model. The other three models (XL, XLS, and Limited) come with Ivory, light gray, or graphite (a medium gray) interiors. Not all interior colors are available with all exterior colors. The Toyota website ("Build My Toyota" section) covers the combinations. The wood is not as clearly specified, but it appears that light gray and ivory get the light wood, and graphite gets the dark wood. At least one poster has stated that light gray can have either wood color. If you do a search on this forum, you will find that post.

sward :)
  • Options
    mmg1,

Titanium and graphite with dark wood will be stunning. I've seen the titanium, and it's a beautiful exterior. I've only seen pictures of the graphite interior, but it appears to be similar to the gray interior in my 1990 Lexus LS400. I'm not tired of it yet! My wife picked Blizzard Pearl and Ivory for her new Avalon, and it's also a gorgeous combination. :)

sward
  • Options
    billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    Hey boatsman,
    I just noticed that the brochure that a dealer gave me has two rear view photos. Both appear to have uneven exhaust pipes.
  • Options
    triptrix280triptrix280 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the welcomes! Ok, yea my bad, I did get the graphite--I was reading the paper wrong! Yea, I am 20, and I am getting help from my parents, they wanted to help get me a reliable car before I graduated from college and have it mostly payed off so when I did graduate I could have something reliable and not too old, so they would have one less thing to worry about when their little girl is on the other side of the country. Plus, I got a awesome financing...better then what all the others were offering--Toyota wins yet again!

I called the dealer about the wood/leather situation, and they said it MIGHT be possible because I am ordering the car before it goes into production; however, it is conditional to the manufacture agreeing to the change, which they might not. Toyota said they were going to get back to me when they have an answer. I'm not sure how the light wood would look with dark grey, b/c my camry is two-toned with light & dark grey (which I really like) So having dark on dark might look better with the preset choice. Maybe the dealer will tell me it was a no-go & I won't have to worry!

Also, Thank you so much to whoever posted www.mynewavalon.com I spent the better part of my weekend watching the video's! I found great things the dealer never even mentioned!
  • Options
    luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    The Graphite interior is the darker grey. Charcoal is not a separate option.
  • Options
    gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    Seems odd to me . Everyone can have different opinions. I never would have purchased a 98 XLS or for that matter a Toyota prior to the 2005 Avalon ...... sedans underpowered and the Avalon was designed to be a Buick. Boring! The new Avalon is not boring and the X-type is not a large Sedan?
  • Options
    Assuming you use bigger wheels but the same diameter tires the speedometer will be the same. I doubt that Toyota could void the warranty unless you are not careful to use tires that fit in the wheel wells. If the oversize wheels cause problems then Toyota shouldn't be responsible. Snow tires aren't identical and even the OEM tires change with age. 18" wheels are being offered by some dealers!
  • Options
    I've seen a few posts about the Avalon not having folding mirrors. I have had them on many cars and sometimes forgot to fold them back after going through the car wash. The lack of folding mirrors didn't seem important to me. I was waxing my Avalon today and when I raised my head, I hit the mirror. I got a large bump and abrasion on my forehead. The mirror is OK!
  • Options
    jkalojkalo Member Posts: 4
    Took delivery of my 05 Limited in Blizzard Pearl w/graphite darker wood interior, Laser cruise, nav, vsc, remote start, xm, :

Drove 120 miles home from dealer: impressions: very quiet, laser cruise control is incredible!! What a great option, I couldn't believe that it applied brakes! XM radio is not activated until you call/get online and pay activation fee; I thought Toyota would have paid for one year or at least 3 months! NAV is not as easy to use as the touch screen I have on my Land Cruiser. The joystick does not always give you the precision to select points of interest or destinations etc. It takes longer to punch information into the system using the joystick. Voice controls need more precision, but will be cool once I learn all the commands. Stereo has a great rich sound, especially after you set balance, bass, mid, treb and surround sound. Rear shade is great item for privacy.

Seats are so comfortable. Rear seats are huge!! Seat ventilation/heater are great. Smart key is wonderful. Remote engine start (hit lock 2x's then hold for 3 seconds) took several attempts before it would work. Really have to push that button down VERY hard, or it won't work. Engine is powerful, although I still haven't tested it, I'm being very very gentile with the engine & brakes during break in period. Car looks awesome, have received many comments and looks. Dealer had a dealer front license plate. I asked them to remove it, which they did. When I got home, I found 2 nice screw holes in the front bumper! I couldn't believe that there are no mounting brackets for front license plates, you just screw it into the bumper!! Any suggestions on covering those screw holes up????? I guess some type of puddy/wood puddy and then touch up paint?? ANy other suggestions???

I subscribed to XM. Never had it before. XM is simply incredible. You can preset 18 SAT channels. The sound and selection is incredible. The car is my wife's and she just loves it.

Rented Chrysler 300 Touring Last week on vacation. Nice ride: received many more looks/turned heads in Chrysler as compared to the Avalon. Kids went wild over "pimp mobile". Visibility is much, much worse in 300. To me the visibility caused a "closed in" feeling. Toyota gives the feeling of a quality vehicle, while the 300 did not.

Dealer said (based on Corporate) initially, 7% of Avalon's being built were Limited's. Demand has far outstripped supply for Limited's, so they are going to double the percentage of Limited's up to 14%. That will help to even out the supply/demand for all 4 models.

For those of you on the fence, we strongly considered the ES 330, Acura TL and Avalon, and after test drives, the Avalon was the clear choice. I feel very confident in saying, that we made the correct choice. Best of luck to all....

Josh
  • Options
    one4damonione4damoni Member Posts: 12
    if you keep the same diameter it will not change the speedo. a 235/45/18 tire has a diameter of 26.4, which is exactly the same as the stock 215/55/17.
  • Options
    mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    IS THE SUNROOF/WIND DEFLECTOR A GOOD THING TO ADD AND DOES IT REALLY HELP THE WIND ROAR THAT USUALLY COMES IN AN OPEN SUNROOF? I ORDERED ONE BUT MY CAR HAS NOT BEEN BUILT YET SO I THINK I STILL HAVE AN OPTION.
    MMG1
  • Options
    miss66miss66 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all the info. I found a photo at # 3835 and the guard was on the top of the fender. Is this the best placement? Also, I don't have a garage and will hopefully keep this car for 9 or 10 years. Will the guard age well with all the weather changes in the Washington D.C.area?
  • Options
    triptrix280triptrix280 Member Posts: 3
    I saw a Cadillac with the pearl white the other day, it was at lest 5 years old--BEAUTIFUL! It was truly pearl! I almost called the dealer to have them change my color, but I decided I could never keep a white car as dirt free as it deserves! The Avalon pearl looks so pretty in the sun!

Sorry for the earlier post about the Jag--I got too carried away. My apologies :blush:

TripTrix
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    RONN.. ANOTHER POSITIVE REPORT..http://cars.phillyburbs.com/testtrack/TT2005toyota_avalon.shtml
    MISS66 IMHO, Yes it is the best placement because the top of the bumper when you see it from the side sticks out the furthest. The bottom of the bumper which also sticks out is quite low and probably will void any contact with another vehicle. The placement as you see it also adds a nice look to the rear giving it a european flair. The people who sell the bumper guard are in New York. You will find there phone number on their web page if you look for it. I would call and speak with a knowledgeable individual there and I'm sure they can answer your question regarding long term use, pertaining to aging etc. Although it's over a month now for me, it's gone through a few car washes etc., and looks the same the day I put it on. Miss66, it's not something you have to do. I did it for some protection from scuffs and back up and for the looks, and for $16.19 for a set of four plus shipping it, I think was a bargain compared to other links that started at 18 (with higher shipping charges) and charge up to 32 bucks for the same thing. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    I too had the tire pressure problem, but this forum alerted me to the problem in advance and I lowered the pressure to 32 psi as soon as I drove my new Avalon home.

Regarding extended warranty, my auto insurance company, the one with the lizard as a mascot, offered me 7yr 100k mile mechanical breakdown extended warranty when I called in to insure my new avalon. Price? How does $68.00 per year sound? Of course if they ever drop me for speeding tickets, accidents, etc, I lose the coverage, but there are other reliable aftermarket extended warranty providers. That "good hands" company does them - I had one for 96k miles on my 96 maxima and the warranty paid for itself after a second repair covered.

Thanks to all whose input helped me make an informed decision! I was patient and did not succumb to the feeding frezy going on at Toyota dealerships. My phantom gray pearl XLS w/VSC, JBL stereo, floor & trunk mats, wheel locks, glass breakagge sensor, mandatory (in my state) 2yr registration, a bogus $100 dealer fee, and 5% sales tax came to $32,399.84. Not bad at all. I had to work through 3-4 dealerships to get this deal, but spoke on the phone with a manager who had 12-16 avalons in stock and was willing to deal.

Time to sleep. Good night and thanks again.
    Regards,
    Deannie ;)
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I bought a 96 XL Avalon new and loved that car, my youngest now drives that. I had 3 faults with that year. 1. only 1 dome light in the car, not enough light for that big of an area. 2. The back window wouldn't clear off rain very well, it needed a wiper system or something. 3. I forget what was my 3rd complaint.

2005 LTD; Has 2 dome lights, plenty of light in the cab now. 2. the air flow onto/around the back window has been improved. It now clears the rain off while driving. Much better car!

2005 complaints, very minor. Placement of cig lighters/power points. NAV system could be easier to use.

My youngest keeps trying to "steal" the 05 from us.

MikeS.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi jcj1:
    I too have a more aggressive driving style, and wanted the Touring, but now that I'm a parent (3yr son, 4week daughter), safety is paramount, and the better handling of the Touring is far outweighed by the VSC which is only available on the XLS and Limited. I drove a BMW X3 w/sport suspension at a BMW driving course, and try as I might, I could not flip the X3 because it had a VSC-like system.

I test drove a Touring and and XLS (w/vsc), and while the touring's suspension handled corners marginally better, when I approached a known difficult off ramp, I found the XLS maintained the same speed as the Touring throughout the ramp because I had to keep dialing back speed and correct the Touring's attitude as the front tires kept giving out (oversteer?) . The computer in the XLS did it all for me, and in an emergency, I'd rather have the computer do the work than have me make a mistake. Something to think about. But make the XLS handle like the Touring, and then you have something that handles more akin to the base lexus GS that just came out (a very good thing).

From what I understand, the Touring suspension differs from the others only by its slightly firmer shocks/struts and springs. You can probably make the change at any Toyota, though I don't know whether or not they'll credit you for the originals (probably not). Either way, these new suspension pieces + labor will be in the $1,000+ range (I haven't priced anything yet) and willl make for a more satisfying drive and a safer car. I plan on making the switch after I've put 60-80K on the car as a present to myself, to refresh the car and make it feel new again, and to get some use from the parts for which I've already paid (money doesn't grow on trees).

With the car so new, I don't think you'll find Touring suspension parts readily avaialable yet. What dealer will stock parts for a car that won't need them for the next 3-5 yrs? Maybe there are aftermarket parts that'll fit, but the end product would be an unknown, whereas the Touring's ride is a known quantity, and a good blend of sport/comfort. Hope I've helped.

Regards,
    Deannie
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    While searching for another site, I ran across Toyota of Richardson, Texas. Just for the heck of it I went into their site. It is a great site. More importantly for you folks in that part of the country, according to their site they have 113 Avalons on the lot. I guess it is true. Everything is bigger in Texas.
  • Options
    chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    Me too. When I was 20, I had a l950 Chevy that I bought from a friend - for $50, more rust and dents then flat metal, but it ran OK. Kept it for 2 years, then bought a used Dodge Dart .My l978 Olds made me buy my first Toyota .
  • Options
    ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    figaromd,
    x-type is a ford taurus.
  • Options
    Deanie, I'm happy you decided to join the crowd and buy the 05. I guess not only did you get a good deal regarding price, but you realized the 06 wasn't going to be available in August afterall. I am also assuming after all these glowing reports on the Avalon, the 06 price no doubt will be up and you wouldn't have saved any money and probably also realize as new cars go Toyota did their homework up front and wasn't experimenting by selling us a bogus car with first year problems. I'm sure by now you realize the engine powertrain is first rate and assembled in Japan is going to last many years. Also the trade in will be worth less day by day and when factoring in how the Avalon depreciates less than other makes your ahead of the game. I didn't realize you made the purchase till now, so let me be one of the first to congratulate you. I also have the XLS. Let us hear from you more often regarding your driving experience.
  • Options
    sandydee1sandydee1 Member Posts: 26
    I live in the Richardson/Plano Texas area. You are actually misinterpreting the website. I just checked and they have 8 avalons in stock. All the rest that are "available" are located at other Dallas/ Fort Worth toyota dealers. So in summary, the 113 Avalons are from all the dealers all over the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    your price does not sound bad but I did pay about $500 less for my Limited with VSC, Mats, and wheel locks in the Washington, DC area. It was delivered in about 30 days. $68 per year for the warranty sounds great but make sure it covers everything the Toyota warranty covers not just mechanical items. Also is it 0 deduct for each time you have a problem? the dectibles can eat you up and make it a very expensive policy.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    They have all been submitted (finally). I don't know what the hold-up is with getting them posted, but I'm checking on it.
  • Options
    avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    In New york ,its those pigons that I wish I can shoot them too

they are so disgusting when they do that especially on green or burgendy cars
    they get it those most.

that stuff is so corrosive it fades the paint especally in the summer. :cry:

The trick is to make it soft(apply hot water) and wipe as soon as you can, thats why it is so
    impotant to have wax so that the little layer can save your paint from that monster. :sick:
  • Options
    jnazarajnazara Member Posts: 10
    both a 17 and 18 inch diameter tire have the same diameter of 26.4? how can that be? not good at my math,but something isn`t correct here i think? they would both have the same circumfrence also? i`m so confused..
  • Options
    the only bad thing about the avalon05 so far its those uneven tail pipes the rest is typical--like I said before ---better this then a unfixable wheel alignment or bad
    function on the engine------there is no way that engine can have problems,its the talk of the town----real sweet 280/h voooom roooom

I just dusted out a lexes 430 voooroooom ;)
  • Options
    no matter what you do you will get paint chip----all cars spit out rocks from there
    back wheels especially those truck and those annoying SUV that shine those
    spot lights in your face or behind you some of them do not have peeble protector
    in the back of the wheel wells--------thus is the reason why you get chips ON YOUR PAINT :cry:

get use to it.
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    both a 17 and 18 inch diameter tire have the same diameter of 26.4?

Both have same tire diameter because they use different tires. The 18 inch wheel uses a lower profile tire (45% I believe) than the stock 17 inch with 55% profile. The lower profile means less radial distance from the rim to the outer tire diameter. It also means increased susceptiblilty to tire bottoming and rim damage, and probably somewhat harsher ride quality.

Max
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    Okay, Avalon people. Enough already about uneven pipes and bird poop! Let's remember that Avalon is the ethereal, mystical home of King Arthur. It's time to elevate our dialogue. Let's talk camshafts!

I know, the liberal artsy fartsy types' eyes are glazing over, but bear with me. All of you (Marvin included) will be able to impress your friends with what follows.

We know that our cars have Toyota's mighty 280 hp, 3.5 liter V6. That it goes zero to 60 in 6-1/2 seconds; that it gets fantastic mileage - 31 mpg on the highway; and that it's an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV in EPA speak). How many of you know how Toyota's engineers have managed these competing accomplishments, which as far as I can tell, no other manufacturer can match, hybrids excluded?

One way they've done it is with a camshaft design trick called concave cam flanks. Bear with me, now. Think of a normal camshaft profile - looks like an egg. Got the picture? Now morph the egg in your mind into a pear shape. You know, with a little "waist" between the small end and the big end. Voila - concave flanks!

So what, you say? What's the big deal? The big deal is that this shape forces intake and exhaust valves to open and close faster. This yields more power, more efficiency and less emissions. The real breakthrough that Toyota has managed is not the geometric change but a new camshaft "follower"; aka "lifter"; that withstands the roller coaster directional changes of the cam. If I were a betting man, I would bet that GM, Ford, BMW, Honda, etc., etc., have bought Avalon's and have them torn apart to see how Toyota did it.

By the way, I did some research (read Google-ing), and found that these funny-looking camshafts are not new. They were used as early as the '30's, in Bentley and Rolls Royce engines. And so, another Avalon legend is born (the last one was the lady whose coffee cup on the roof didn't spill on her way to work).

Discuss.

Groza
  • Options
    Excellent post Groza. I guess Ford and GM will try and follow suit, but to late I think for any 06.
  • Options
    loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks Pat!

-LoUdSpEaKeR
  • Options
    cross it out of your shopping list-----your too picky and dizzy :P
  • Options
    yes, start out by asking the dealer what they would charge for parts and labor
    then compare to third party HID installer :shades:
  • Options
    loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    figaromd,
    Being an owner of a european sedan I'm going to have to weigh in on this... I know what you mean about the Avalon styling, it isn't my Audi's look either, BUT there is one thing I've come to understand with european engineering... You'd better make sure when you purchase that car it comes with a mechanic! Jaguar was known for that years ago, and is still known for that now. Consumer Reports will back me up on that. So if you'd like a car that looks fast, goes fast, but will be in the shop for 1/12th of every year, excellent. If you'd rather a car that looks refined, goes fast, and is in the shop when you don't take care of it, with maybe a few exceptions, you have the Avalon.

...Oh yeah, and the sound systems in Jags suck compared to the Avalon.

-LoUdSpEaKeR
    It's a good thing X-types look fast when parked.
  • Options
    what is the model of that monitor you have

I would be interested in the same concept----what was the total cost
    of device and install ? :blush:

thats some alarm system you have ;)
  • Options
    one4damonione4damoni Member Posts: 12
    if you take the diameter, in this case 26.4 subrract the rim diameter, 17 or 18 you get the following results
    26.4 - 17 = 9.4/2 = 4.7, sidewall height
    26.4 - 18 = 8.4/2 = 4.2, sidewall height

in this case you are only loosing about 1/2" of sidewall. Most 18" applications are either a 35 or 40 series so the ride should not be "harsh", I doubt there will be any tire bottoming or rim damage.
  • Options
    Please, I would appreciate input from anyone regarding this link. It seems to be a very inexpensive way to protect my Avalon even thought I have the anti theft, I don't have the etching on the windows since i didn't want to overpay for it at the dealer. Thanks to those of you that will respond. I am definitely considering this and want input, or anyone that has done it, does the etching work well.
    http://www.vinshield.com/vs/Public/Home/SeeHowtoInstall/index.cfm