Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Tomorrow I pick up my new Limited. I was talking with the salesman who told me that the Limiteds are now Bluetooth capable and that feature would be part of the new car orientation that I receive when I get the car.
    This seems to contradict earlier postings decrying lack of Bluetooth capability. Perhaps Toyota reads these postings and has added the capability, or the salesman is wrong. I'll know tomorrow.
  • Options
    carzakcarzak Member Posts: 12
    I wanted to share a new problem which I noted today.

Center console which covers the cup holders does not close anymore. I will have to take my Avalon once again back to the dealer to fix this new problem.

Love this car anyway!
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Zmann106:
    Thanks for the offer, but if you reread my earlier post (on this forum and/or on the prices paid forum), I bought the car last Friday for $30,557 + ........ = $32,399.85 after tax, tags, etc.
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    At this time the UBS people would not sell a car to me in Montgomery County (MC) until a dealer in MC was found here that would agree with a UBS price. I asked if I could buy from the Glen Burnie dealer, but they would not issue the buyers certificate, and I did not want to bother dealing with a dealer so far away without knowing for sure I'd get the UBS price others were getting. I know I might have saved a few hundred more by waiting for UBS to come through in MC, but it would not be enough saved to convince me to wait because the dealers here, including Fitz..., Rose.. Hagerstown did not quote me anything less than $1700 over invoice. If you check my earlier post here and in the prices paid section, I detailed my purchase and believed I bought at a fairly good price.
    Thanks for your time.
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • Options
    yurikyurik Member Posts: 18
    Hi Everyone
    I ordered my Limited on March 12 and as the delivery date approaches wanted to ask a question about car's break in period. I heard about it, but still not sure how and for how long am I supposed to drive the car differently for break in period. Is there rule of thumb here ?
    Thanks. I appreciate the response.
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    I would just drive it . No cross country trips. Combination city and freeway around town always worked for me. I've got 105,000 on my 96 Avalon, and, knock on wood, never had the first problem (my mechanic says I've got another 40,000 on my breaks). Always averaged close to 30 mpg in the summer, a little less in the winter on regular gas. I am finding the same thing on my 2005 limited I've had since Feb. 15. You don't have to baby them with the low RPMs even at higher speeds. I'll change the oil every 3,000 as I've done since the beginning of time. My son just sold his 1989 Camry with 150,000, maintained and drove it the same way. He did break down and put front brakes on it. They won't last forever. He let had many offers on this 16 year old car, it took him one day to sell it , as did my wife's black 99 camry. One phone call to friend sold it.
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    [yurik]I drive every new car, and the current Avalon 05 no faster than tops 60 MPH, mostly though 55 top speed. So between 40 and 55 never staying at one speed to long, I keep alternating the speeds mentioned for the first 1,000 miles. I do this no matter what the manual says. It's my break in period. I also for the first 300 miles am very gentle on my breaks, I never stop short or apply them hard. I change the oil the first 1,000 miles and than every 3,000 miles. That is my routine, I'm sure others have there own way of doing it. Good Luck.
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "I am still not sure how and for how long am I supposed to drive the car differently for break in period. Is there rule of thumb here ? "

Dear yurik: Yes, you are correct, sir, there is a rule of thumb here. In fact, there are two rules of thumb here. The first is Toyota's. Toyota's rule of thumb is in the Owner's Manual, which you can now find online, at link title, under Section 2, Before Driving Your Toyota. Why Toyota has "break in period" under the section Before Driving... is not real clear to me. Must be an Oriental thing.

The second rule of thumb is mine. My rule of thumb is based on the fact that this, after all, is a Toyota, and that the car is under warranty during the break in period. Therefore, wherever possible, acceleration is under wide open throttle; shifts are at redline (with the shifter in that cool Porsche wannabee tiptronic mode); braking is basically in the "OHMYGODWE'RENOTGOINGTOSTOP" mode; and now is the best time to offer towing your neighbor's 42 foot Hatteras on the Pennsylvania turnpike.

The choice is yours. The boring Toyota way. Or mine.

Groza
  • Options
    yurik, As you can see Groza is all heart and doesn't mince words. Basically the link title he gave you probably says it all. Enjoy the boring break-in period, but as someone once said to me "I'd rather be bored for 1,000 miles, but be able to put on 200,000 miles from proper break in"). Maybe that's taking it a bit too much, but the better we take care of that extended traveling companion of ours the further it will take us. Again, happy motoring, you got yourself one great automobile, and the proof in the pudding is a mechanically gifted and wise man like Groza who thinks highly of his Avalon as most of us do.
  • Options
    zmann106zmann106 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply' Just curious. Was the 30,000 + for the XLS or limited with all the options expect cruise control and remote start. Did it include 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty?
    Thanks - Zmann
  • Options
    bobt2bobt2 Member Posts: 11
    Has someone here actually seen that car? The stripe looks like a Pchop job to me...
  • Options
    sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Rewop have you heard if this is true or not? Maybe Macabee can confirm or deny this rumor? I sure hope it's true. If it is then Toyota PLEASE add a tire pressure monitor and I am 100% sold on the Avalon!
  • Options
    prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    My broker does leases, financing, trades, everything a dealer can do.
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    This must not be an issue, because no one has responded. Either that, or they (owners) are unknowingly accepting degraded Nav performance. I would hope the former.

Prior post # 3465 discusses a non-metalic window kit (Madico's Proline 3D) that Best Buy is already installing at some of their locations - here in the Phoenix area for one.

According to the manufacturer, a kit for the '05 Avalon should be available soon.
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    bobt2, I suspected the same when I first saw this picture -- as I recall it was posted in January, before the car was released. Even if it was just someone's concept, it is a revealing exercise. Taking a picture of your own car and trying out various variants on it, such as larger wheels, pin stripes or bumper guard moldings of various colors, is a great way of trying out whether you would like the effect, or not. I will do this myself before I commit to pin stripes or any custom cosmetic modification.

havalong ;)
  • Options
    sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    jl, the same warning was in my owners manual for my Acura TL, I had the windows tinted and have not noticed any difference in reception of the GPS signal. I would assume this would be the same for the Avalon. Ironically, in my Nissan Murano the nav signal goes in and out and I have not applied any tint to the windows other than what came from the factory....
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I just wanted to know if Toyota charges extra $220 for this paint color. The Toyota website which referred me to a local site, indicated that there was no extra charge for this paint. Yet, Edmunds and other sites indicates $220 extra.

Also, if anyone purchased the car with this color or actually saw one at the dealer, any comments?
  • Options
    tajahtajah Member Posts: 10
    I saw & test drove a blizzard pearl in a touring model. I'm not a fan of white cars, but my co-worker who is loves it! She thought it had a little sparkle to it. There was an extra charge on the stickerprice for this color.

I bought the Cassis Pearl & it's TOO FINE !!!
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for your assistance about the extra paint charge and confirming it on the window sticker. I have not seen that color on the lots. Although the dealers I went to each have about nine vehicles in stock, they are the darker colors.
  • Options
    cozazzcozazz Member Posts: 6
    Hello all, great forum..
    Shopping for a 2005 Avalon XLS or Limited in Titanium with light grey interior and light wood trim... Problem is, all Titanium Avalons I have found have the graphite interior with the darker wood trim. A local dealership is telling me all his grey interiors are the same with dark wood trim and I won't be able to get the light wood/light grey combo. I don't believe that can be accurate. Can anyone shed some light on this please? I live in NY Metro area.

Thanks!
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    groza, keep in mind vehicle abuse is not covered under warranty. Follow the manufacturer's break in period. How long does it take to put 1000 miles on a car? One month? maybe less with the new car since you want to drive it as much as possible. Don't be foolish.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Tina, Toyota and Lexus have always charged extra for any of the pearl white paints. Be it the Diamond white pearl, Blizzard pearl, Arctic frost pearl, Frosted pearl, etc,.. they all incur an extra charge. Something about the paint formulation being more expensive than other finishes.
    :)
    Mackabee

p.s. I have not heard anything about the current Avalon being Bluetooth compatible.
  • Options
    loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    cozazz
    Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what drugs the dealer you ran into was on, but over here on the other side of the country (Seattle, WA) I sat in an Avalon Limited Titanium with light grey interior and light wood trim. It looked very sharp.

-LoUdSpEaKeR
  • Options
    avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    What am I missing on setting up for speech commands? Is there an unlock or something? I also cannot turn on the voice guidance option either.

I believe I paid $199.00 for the blizzard pearl exterior color, about the same price Buick was charging in 2001 on their Park Avenue Ultra, a car I gladly gave up to get the Limited.
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Don't be foolish. "

I'm sorry, Mack. My bad.

Groza
  • Options
    cozazzcozazz Member Posts: 6
    Thank you LoUdSpEaKeR...

Yea...and this was supposedly ran by the "Sales Manger" twice, and he insisted there is no grey with light wood accent in 2005 Avalon... Sounds like he looked at what Avalons he has coming and wants to talk me in to one of them instead!

cozazz
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Certain parts of the country get different color combinations. In the Central Atlantic district, they are ONLY ordering the titanium with the graphite leather and dark wood trim. Their focus group thought the light gray leather and light wood looked poor and decided they would not order any titanium exteriors with it. You also could not get Laser Cruise without Nav. Different distribution centers order differently and you have no choice but to accept their combinations and packages.
  • Options
    teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    AMEN!!! to that sjohnson11.

Tee
  • Options
    mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    TRY GOING TO ANOTHER DEALER OR ORDERING FROM ANOTHER DEALER IN ANOTHER STATE. I ALSO HAVE BEEN IN A TITANIUM METALLIC WITH LT GREY / LT WOOD TRIM INTERIOR IN FL. VERY ATTRACTIVE BUT I PREFER THE DARKER WOOD SO HAD TO GO TO THE GRAPHITE . I'M SURE I WILL BE HAPPY WITH THAT ALSO. I ACTUALLY ORDERED MINE FROM TOYOTA OF GASTONIA IN N.C. AND WILL DRIVE UP ,TURN IN MY OTHER CAR AND SHOP FOR FURNITURE IN HICKORY,N.C. WOW, SPENDING ALL OUR $ IN ONE TRIP. WHAT FUN!!
    MMG1
  • Options
    nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    Bought 2005 white, amonth and a half ago. It has a thin black & 24 carat gold stripe that sparkles in the sun. It runs along the top edge of the side. Beautifuil but I suspect the large side view of this car needs something wider. Anyone seen anything? Bought the car Feb. 28th, a limited with all options except Nav. and sat. radio for 30,000 and change(not included tax & tags). I think I have seen every color and every interior mentioned by all of you but then I only live an hour from Georgetown and they have an excellant tour.Peace.
  • Options
    nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I talked to a body man about the white paint. He said it was more expensive initially and to repair because it was a "3" instead of "2" step process. I presume he knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi mmg1 - please release your caps lock key. Messages in all caps are difficult to read and also it looks like you are yelling at us when I'm sure you don't mean to do that. :)
  • Options
    hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    I paid extra for the Blizzard White Pearl. It is beautiful!! :)
  • Options
    eljefe1eljefe1 Member Posts: 12
    Picture looks great.... I ordered a limited just like it with the spoiler...Looks like I'll have to do the rims and the stripe...also tinting....Can't wait

Thanks

El Jefe
  • Options
    ecarecar Member Posts: 5
    Hi.

I have just purchased a new Limited and wonder if anyone can help with the following:

1) I see from a search of the forum that someone asserts that the CD player can display tag information for CD's (i.e., the track name and artist). Has anyone actually done this successfully? I have never heard of .wav files having tags and would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction if this is indeed possible with the Avalon CD player.

2) I did a test run today of a route I have done many times in several different vehicles. It is always 97 miles plus or minus a few tenths. Today I also had a portable GPS with me which I used for even better accuracy, since it is accurate within 1/100 mile or so as long as it is locked on its satellites, which is was. It gave 97.1 miles. The Avalon odometer gave 94.5 miles, a 2.7% difference. Tire pressure was on spec and the speedometer seems right on, too. Anyone else do a calibration of the odometer, and if so, what were your results?

Thanks.
  • Options
    No problem my friend. Once the breaking in period is over you can open that engine up on the highway and get that WOW! factor in a big way! Sometimes delaying the instant gratification we get from some things makes them better when we finally experience them. Enjoy your car, treat it right and it will give you many miles of joy! I sold my 88 MR2 to one of my colleagues and I see it every morning when I get in to work and it breaks my heart! :cry: I loved that car but my current health situation was making it unbearable to drive due to having to bend down excessively to get in and out of the car. :sick:
    :shades:
    Mackabee

p.s. I love these Emotorcons! Thanks Edmund's!
  • Options
    ecar, welcome to the forum. Good questions.

In answer to #1, the electronic manual says:

TEXT
    This button is used to change the display
    for the compact disc that contains text
    data.
    To change the display, quickly push and
    release the “TEXT” button while the compact
    disc is playing. The display changes
    in the order from the elapsed time to disc
    title to track title, then back to the
    elapsed time.
    If this button is pushed while a compact
    disc that does not contain text data is
    playing, “NO TITLE” will appear on the
    display.
    If the entire disc or track title does not
    appear on the display, push and hold the
    button until you hear a beep. The rest of
    the title will appear.

http://www.mynewavalon.com/content/iGuide/pdf/11_Section_1-8.pdf

p. 205

I haven't tried this yet; will do later tonight. And I'll check the odometer accuracy on my way home now.

havalong
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    I was wondering just how recent the Navigation system is? Meaning, are the DVD's as recent as Toyota has and how recent is that?
  • Options
    ejmannejmann Member Posts: 12
    My XLS with Blizzard Pearl and light gray interior just arrived at the dealer today. It was built last week. Saw it after it came off the truck. It has the light wood and I had requested the darker woodgrain look.The dealer couldn't verify which color woodgrain would be in my car as they had only gotten cars with ivory and graphite interiors up to now.. But it looked nice. Kind of excited about getting it tomorrow after they get it ready. Had my 300M cleaned up today and the new owner picks it up tomorrow. It was a great car for me and I hope the Avalon does as well.
  • Options
    miss66miss66 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to all of you for supplying me the names of possible Toyota dealers in Maryland.
  • Options
    ecarecar Member Posts: 5
    havalong--

Thanks for the reply. I had seen the TEXT button in reference to the FM feature but had evidently overlooked it as it relates to CD's. I have burned a CD-R using Nero Express , entering track information manually and, indeed, I have gotten the track information to display, although I somehow missed the disc info......

So, success, it does work and I just need to experiment a little to see how to burn CD-R's properly to fully utilize the function.

Of course, I would have preferred that the system just accept MP3 CD's, like the $30 hand helds do now. I think the chip to do that costs, what, $5 or so? It certainly isn't a technical problem, so the issue must lie elsewhere.

Again, thanks. Will be interested in what your odometer check comes up with.
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    What a wonderful price. If I did the math properly, you got this car at well below the dealer's INVOICE!! The dealer invoice for my limited with VSC, Preferred Accessory Package, Wheel Locks, and freight is $30.925 and an MSRP of $35,252. If you got the laser cruise control on top of that, you are approximately $1300 to $1400 under the dealer's invoice. Assuming such things as hold backs (which I do not understand) the dealer lost money on your sale at $30,000. How did you do that?
  • Options
    eljefe1eljefe1 Member Posts: 12
    What size and brand of tires is coming with the limiteds?

I see P215/55R 17 in some info and P225/55R 17 in others

Thanks
  • Options
    ecar, you are welcome. Glad that the CD player readout works as described.

My odometer is accurate. Read 15.4 km from work to home; my previous Camry's odometer used to read 15.5. Of course, in absolute terms both could be off...

On the other hand, the digital clock has been running slow. It loses about half a minute per week. Anybody know if this is correctable?

On a positive note, I'm impressed by Avalon's weather monitoring capability and motherly instincts. The car was parked outside all day and it had hailed a while earlier. When I started the engine, a message flashed: MAY BE SLIPPERY. No car had ever talked to me like that!

havalong
  • Options
    dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    Picked up my Titanium XLS with VSC, JBL Stereo, matts, spoiler, The interior is light grey with the light woodgrain (looks sharp, very sharp). Yes the tail pipes were just fine. I've been driving camry's since 1988 and needed a change, what a change I got!

Not sure if I'm going to feel well enough to go in to the office tomorrow.

:)
  • Options
    analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Congratulations
    Can you say what part of the country you are in and how much you paid Thanks!
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    What size and brand of tires is coming with the limiteds?

Just picked up my new Limited this week. It has Michelin MXV4's in size P215/55R 17.

Max
  • Options
    cafpaf, He said he paid 30 grand plus change, trust me he didn't buy it under invoice..

For the 04 Avalon, see two links below that I think will be repeated for the 05 Avalon once the experience is given a chance. See the next to last link for the 05 with the excellent rating.
    Highest retained value of a large car in it's class, open this link and see, hope it opens.
    http://www.intellichoice.com/top10/Top_List/year/2004/list/Highest%20Retained%20Value
    Lowest depreciation.
    http://www.intellichoice.com/top10/Top_List/year/2004/list/Lowest%20Depreciation
    Intellichoice Value Rating is excellent for the 05 Avalon.
    http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/16928/type/new
    The predicted ownership cost over 5 years is excellent for the Avalon 05, see link. This says it all and why the 05 is a bargain overall. http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/16928/section/ownership/typ- e/new

TOYOTA retail sales for 3/05 for the 05 Avalon (INCLUDES FLEET & HAWAII) were 8,625 versus 3,827 for the 04 Avalon. That is a huge increase of about 117%. The link is here. That tells more than anything how well the new 05 has been accepted by the public and many under 60.
    http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1082
  • Options
    dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    Analyticangel,

Location is midwest and paid 1000.00 over invoice. Ordered the car on 3/12/05 and just arrived and pickup today. Never paid this much over invoice in my life but I can tell you it was worth every dime. Normally I can get deals at almost invoice but this one had such a high demand it just wasn't going to happen. Can't wait to crank up that 12-speaker stereo tomorrow. Listen real carefully, you might hear me! Never got got high on a car b4, hope this lasts for a longgggggggggg time! :surprise:

And your from?

dcallies
  • Options
    podpod Member Posts: 176
    I am interested in the avalon because of my believe in toyota quality. I can understand the enthusiasm prominent in this forum for the aesthetics of the car but would like to see some discussion of the driving impressions rather than color and pinstripes, etc. All that is secondary if the driving experience is not excellent. Does it accelerate well? Does it feel adequately powered? How does it corner, behave on wet pavement, is the interior noise level acceptable, are the brakes up to the task of stopping this heavy 280 HP vehicle, do they fade, is the steering tight and responsive, etc.

No doubt if I had recently purchased one I would be trying to polish the unit with pinstripes, etc. but what I hope to discover is whether it succeeds as a competitive and well integrated driving machine. Thanks for any input from recent owners who have endured the break in and are now driving it in their own way.