Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    Thank you all for your help. My problem was simple. I didn't pick up on pushing the button twice. So, I got the voice working just fine.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Oh, one more thing. You win the Car Crazy Award of the week for the good water spigot.
    Groza"

Far Out! I finally won something! I'll be eagerly awaiting my prize by hanging out front with Avvy.

MikeS. :D
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Does this car move!!! I was cruising at 60 and needed to get out of the for a merging car so I gave it a little gas. I quickly found myself doing 100 within mere moments."

Mr. Bond (Secret agent - get it? Never mind.): Now you're talkin' my language. I been a'thinkin'. Wonder what this son of a gun will really do? I mean top end; opened up; pedal to the metal; flat out. The car mag's. don't publish top speed anymore, probably cause they're scaredy cats of somebody suing them for luring people into horrible deaths.

So I'm gonna conduct a little forum survey: Forum people - What is the fastest speed you've done? Secret agent is first out of the box with 100 mph, and I know you guys past the "break in period" have opened up these Tennessee hot rods on some lonely roads out there. Come on, let's hear it. No one is going to call you on it. You can fudge a little bit. And Momma (she who must be obeyed) is never going to find out, either. One rule - only miles per hour, please. No Frenchy kilometers per nanosecond or anything fancy like that.

Now for some engineering (ronn and just me - skip the next sentence). Based on a 3.08 rear differential, 0.75:1 overdrive, 4500 rpm and stock 17" wheels with 215/55 tires; the car will hit 150 mph. Can our Avalons' 280 hp motor maintain a buck fifty? Oh buddy. Then Marvin gets to rename his Triple B - Black Beauty Badass!

Hey, I'm thinkin' top end on these things beats the heck out of the 2005 Motor Trend Car of the Year, too, which has the frontal aerodynamics of a barn door.

Come on - let's hear some braggadoccio, people!!

Groza
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    A couple weeks ago, driving an empty stretch of the TransCanada Hwy, I inadvertently stepped on it and, before my wife had noticed anything, we were doing 150 km/h (that's 90-something mph) nice and smooth at a lazy 2800 RPM. My teenage son who I know keeps his eye on the instruments from the back seat did notice, but didn't say a thing.

I suspect there is power to reach 50% higher speed, but there is probably also a governor in place, don't you think?

And just as impressive as the potential top speed is how quickly you can get it up there. And back down, too, if need be (this I haven't had to try yet).
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    GROZA.... Lets get things straight, RONN has the Black Beauty, I have the Golden Chariot....Yes I pushed the metal on of all places, 95, the Governments Highway. As I got on it, I floored it and Wow, people behind me could feel the jet wake, I blew away with no hesitation up to 90 than looking over the bushes for the feds, I throttled back to 75. All kidding aside, it was so sweet, the engine I mean, just a kitten purring and varoom I was at 90, the most powerful engine I have ever floored. I could have gone past 90 and over 100 with no problem, but to chicken for what it would cost me if caught. Incidentally your post was timely, because I did that this afternoon. I didn't feel like I was going 90, the car hugged the road and so quiet. Thanks Toyota Avalon.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Sorry to burst your bubble guys but most Toyotas are speed governed at 127mph here in the US market. I'd venture to say the Avalon is the same way. Well find out soon once groza takes his up to the limit! ;)

mackabee :sick:
  • Options
    agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Thanks Alphawolf;
    I actually bought my baby at Checkered Flag in VA Beach. The Southeast region didn't have the car/color combination that I was looking for. I got a great deal too.

All of my clients have loved it!!! I rarely find myself needing room for more than 4 passengers. If there are more, they understand that I'm not a limo and they either follow me or meet me at the house. E-mail me if you want to know more. I don't want to bore everyone with real estate talk.

My top speed breaking days are in the past. The courts ordered me to sell my 480hp 300ZX a long time ago so keep me out of your race track games. :shades:
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    127 mph from a 280 Hp engine ? Bummer !!! My cousin's 2000 Camry with 194 Hp could easily top 130 mph. I am sure if the speed restrictor could be removed this car could do 150 mph. Is there a way it could be done ? :D
  • Options
    wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    I just got a call from my Toyota dealer that they need to delay the installation of remote start in my new Avalon because they received a fax from Toyota that the current installation kit is not secure, meaning that anyone can start your car. This is because the current installation requires hiding one knob in the car itself. I've been told that the Toyota is coming out with a new adapter to overcome the security issue. It supposed to be available in three weeks. I am curious if the factory-installed remote start has the same problem, or if someone else that had it installed by a dealar can confirm that the problem exists. I don't know the exact steps to bypass security, but I imagine that if you start it remotely, and then if you get into the car and press start without having a key knob with you, you should be able to start the car.

Wiktor
  • Options
    Finally after two months, my dealer figured out how to install the XM radio in my Avalon. I got it working, but I had no help in activation. I called XM radio and got activation fee waived and three months of free trial subscription. I've read in previous posts that people are getting 12 months free subscription so I asked about it, but the XM rep did not confirm it. I wonder if the 12 months subscription is just for factory installed XM radio.

Wiktor
  • Options
    It seems that song titles and author names are cutoff after 10 letters or so, even though there is plenty of room left on the screen to display all of it. Is there a way to fix that, or is it a "feature" of Toyota XM radio? Does anyone else notice that too?

Wiktor
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    Minor Points:
    It's really torque (a rotational movement on a weightless shaft) that drives a car. HP is a neat, but somewhat overused and confusing, term. The torque curve of the new Avalon is long enough to produce at least 127 mph. A limiter will then, most likely, cut back the spark to hold that max speed. Above 120 mph most street cars will tend to be at least a little unstable. With only 7 more mph possible you cannot "pull" out of a problem, such as a wind gust. This is not where you want to be.
    Off brand computer chips are available and will defeat the limiter function. They also defeat your warranty from Toyota. Virtually all new cars have more engine than you get to use and the 2005 Avalon is no different. Use premium gas, drive safely.... :)
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    As most of you know, the 2005 Avalon JBL audio system can show CD-Text data if it is included on the disk, or burned into the disk. Just push the TEXT button on the radio. Most CD's do not have the text data, and most CD burners do not include it. The burner included with iTunes does NOT include CD-text data.

However, the burner included with Napster DOES include CD-text data. I just downloaded and burned an album with Napster, and the CD-Text data does show up on the Avalon audio text display. I'm not really trying to push Napster, but just thought you CD burning types would like to know.

Max
  • Options
    RONN, everyone else read this new review. This review is nearly perfect and my simulated wood on the dash lines up with the door s. wood. In fact I think they all do, but because of the break between the dash and the door it might not seem that way, but if you bend a little more to eye level you will see they line up, mine is perfect so I am assuming most are. The trunk space has nothing to do about whether a car is luxury, quality or anything else, it just is designed that way, and in the Avalons case probably a trade off for the reclining rear seats which I prefer since I don't have a lot of kids around anymore, LOL.
    http://cars.about.com/od/toyota/fr/ag_05avxls.htm GREAT REVIEW. ;)
  • Options
    angeange Member Posts: 158
    I ordered my Avalon Limited on 2-19-05. No word of when it will be made. Is their anyway someone can find were your on the list? Are the Limited models gobbled up as fast as they are made? Getting a little impatient.

I read some people get their Limited autos in 50-60 days. Ange
  • Options
    jp48jp48 Member Posts: 7
    Hey! I just looked again at your CarDomain site and see that you got the TSWs and 235/45 Contis mounted. They look outstanding and the car as a whole, superb. My son's immediate comment was, "It really looks like a BMW now!" From him that's the highest praise possible! Is the fitment good? They appear to really fill out the wheelwells, but, I assume, without any clearance problems(?). How does it drive with the lower-profile tire? When you get a moment, fill us in;I'm excited to hear your impressions and experiences.
    Congratulations!

JP48
  • Options
    bimbimbimbim Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering an Avalon but afraid that it may consume a lot of gas as the 280HP engine is very powerful. Spec says 22/31 MPG. A 4 cylinder Camry is 24/34MPG...only a 2-3 MPG more efficient. Is that too good to be true? For those Avalon owners out there, what is the actual MPG you are getting?
  • Options
    myvalonmyvalon Member Posts: 3
    Today I experienced a totally different experience, the power of My Limited. I am not on to exceed speed limits often. But, after work to day I decided to take the freeway home. I usually don't take chances and I never take chances around other vehicles, but I entered the expressway to achieve 80mph in no time. So I pushed it a bit more and before you know I was at 110mph. I must say this was the smoothest I have ever experienced. While a previous owner of a Lexus GS300- 02 model, I must say it smoother than GS felt. Please understand I am not telling everyone to go and try this. But this Limited in Phantom Gray Pearl rocks. I was truly surprised there was literally no torque steer pull. :)
  • Options
    gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Ange, I checked with my dealer today on my order of 03/14. I was told that it will be another 30-45 days, the delay is in my ordering an Indigo LTD with NAV. Does not make sense to me since it was special ordered, and I worry that special orders aren't really special - just possibly a car is flagged for a deposited buyer if it shows up in the dealer's allocation.

Greg
  • Options
    jcu1963jcu1963 Member Posts: 22
    First, I want to thank all who helped my wife and I regarding the Limited and the tons of information provided on this site. As I had indicated previously, finding Limiteds in Southern Illinois without having to pay either MSRP or even a premium has been next to impossible. In my case, Southern Illinois includes St. Louis, Memphis, southeast Missouri, and parts of western Kentucky. When I say I've tried to work with at least 10-15 dealers, I mean exactly that.

After much work, however, we did locate a dealer in St. Louis that was willing to work with us. Here's what we got: Limited, blue mirage metallic with ivory interior, navigation system, dynamic cruise control, vehicle stability control, satellite radio, preferred accessory package Z1, and destination charge. The dealer is going to relocate the antenna as well. Price: $35,900.

I know this is more than some I've read about on this site. But considering the area we live in, I'm very happy. The people at the dealer in St. Louis were great to work with, including numerous emails before actually making the 2 + hour drive there. Hopefully, we'll have the vehicle before July 1.

Thanks again for the help and information from this site.

Pete
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    "For those Avalon owners out there, what is the actual MPG you are getting?"

Just finished the first tank in my new Avalon LTD. With a mixture of city & highway, mostly highway, I got 26.6 mpg. No full throttle stuff yet, but freeway speeds up to 80 mph. I think the good mileage is for real.

Max
  • Options
    gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hey guys, I can't wait till our Avalon is broken in so I can get it up to 160km per hour, That is about 100 mph. I'd hate to see you all getting speeding tickets out there, so can anybody suggest a good radar detector. The power is awsome and sometimes I don't realize that I am going over the speed limit because the engine is just loafing at 80mph. I have an old bell vector radar detector but I think it is time for a newer version. Have fun and drive safe!!!!!!!
  • Options
    roskiroski Member Posts: 15
    OK. Just passed my 1000 mile break in and decided to open her up. I went to a local state road that never gets used and played around a little. I got 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and in no time I was pushing 100. I kept going to 120 and then decided to let off until I can find a road in better shape - road hazards at 120 are not a good idea. I didn't sense any type of governor and was still accelerating, so I don't know what the top is. I may try taking it to the local track this weekend to see where it stops. BTW, 120 was just as smooth as 85.

I took a GS430 to 140 a few months back with no problems, I expect the Avalon will be very similar.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Gladiator99:
    Unfortunately, here in the U.S., at least in the DC and New York metro areas, lasers are used more than radar by the official roadway toll collectors (county police and state troopers). Laser's are the method of choice these days to determine vehicle speed on the most heavily traveled roads. So, when laser is used on you, the warning beeps of even the best combination radar/laser detector (Passport or Valentine One are each over $300) will serve only as a warning that within the next 10 seconds you'll see those dreaded flashing red and blue lights in your rear view mirror, or a trooper or officer stepping out into the road in front of you waving you to the shoulder to feed you a not-so-tasy, and quite expensive dose of humility.

Contrary to what many on this forum seem to do (incessant washing and waxing of their cars), leaving your car dirty, especially the front end and mirror housings, is the most effective way of reducing the reflectivity of your car, and thus limiting a laser's ability to detect your speed from far away, which can be well over half a mile on a clear day. A really dirty front end reduces that distance to 500-700 feet, which gives you more than enough time to spot the laser guy, and hopefully slow down and reduce the amount of, or avoid the ticket altogether.

Beyond the pricey detector, having good vision and being alert for the gendarme ahead are also needed for stealthy speed. A speeding ticket for 100+ mph means mandatory arrest in some states, not to mention what it would do to your auto insurance.

Mind you, I'm no worry wart. I hit 100+, safely, at least 3-4 times per year when weather/traffic conditions permit (just for fun), but who am I kidding? Are we gonna let our cars stay dirty just to avoid tickets? Not gonna happen, so be careful out there.
    Regards,
    Deannie

P.S. There are more expensive means of evading laser detection, but they are beyond the scope of this discussion.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi All:
    Let's think about the speed rating of our original equipment tires before we go and bypass any speed limiter Toyota has in place. Any comments?
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Family sedans usually get OEM tires rated anywhere between S (112 mph) and H (130 mph).
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Mike:

Me too. Mine were at 38.5 and 39 psi when my '05 Lexus RX AWD was delivered last week. I've since dropped that to 35.

Why, if the manual recommends 30 psi, would Lexus deliver them with such a high inflation? I can see pumping them up for the boat ride over here, but one would think (apparently incorrectly) that the dealer checks things like this prior to delivery to the customer. Apparently not!
  • Options
    ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I now have 1600 miles on my 2005 Avalon XL. I use only regular gas and have been averaging around 19 to 21 on mostly around town driving. I read that you may get better mileage using a premium gas, but I'm satisfied paying for the less expensive gas.
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey bimbim........The Avalon is getting great gas. My MPG has been between 22-23.9 for mostly in town driving. I live in an area with hills, so this is great. I use premium gas.

RONN
  • Options
    "Far Out! I finally won something! I'll be eagerly awaiting my prize by hanging out front with Avvy. "

Mikey: Get a hold of yourself. Stop begging. It's not becoming.

Your award will arrive by mail. Look for it soon.

Groza

ps - I gave you all the wrong info about bug splatter removal. I said to use 10W40. DO NOT USE 10W40. That would be dumb. I meant WD40. It's the bomb on bugs. I hope no one went out and schmeared motor oil all over their hoods. Sorry.
  • Options
    bimbim? haha.

Groza
  • Options
    JUST ME..That is one of the best reviews I have seen yet!!!!! Thanks. We all have a winner with this carWe will keep convincing the rest of the world.!!!!! It looks like with all these reviews, the rest of the world will know soon!

RONN
  • Options
    swardsward Member Posts: 20
    Family sedans usually get OEM tires rated anywhere between S (112 mph) and H (130 mph).

The Avalon's Michelin tires are "V" rated, which is 150mph. I assume the Bridgestones are the same. You can see this on the sidewall of the tire, and the owners' manual has a nice section on tires that show you where it is located.

sward :)
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I read your post and felt sorry for you. We ordered our Avalon Limited on 3/31. It is Blue Mirage, no Nav, but with VSC, preferred accessory package, and wheel locks. I got a note from the dealer that it will be built tomorrow or Thursday and I should be able to take delivery by 4/29. I am a skeptic at heart and was very surprised. The sales fellow told me that it was a car that was on allocation to them and that they somehow could change the color and/or other options. I don't know the particulars, but I am just happy to be getting the car next week as the mileage on my lease is about to run out. I hope you get your Limited soon.
  • Options
    Hi Design74. Thanks for sharing again and for designing one elegant automobile, the best I have ever owned.
    Yes RONN,the world already knows and maybe that's why deliveries are slow, the demand outstripping the supply?? Maybe?? HAVE A GREAT DAY.
  • Options
    DESIGN74, Your link couldn't open up to your pictures and your post is gone???
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I've asked him to repost.
  • Options
    Thanks Pat
  • Options
    one4damonione4damoni Member Posts: 12
    rides more like a sports sedan now. They greatly reduced the body roll while in corners. They fit perfect. I was a little worried they would stick out, but it is perfect. No rubbing, no issues. I do have to say that they are a little louder than the stock tires, but I don't mind because of the increase in handling and of course looks!
  • Options
    "It's really torque (a rotational movement on a weightless shaft) that drives a car."

Hey, finnie: Torque Schmorque. My right foot drives my car, buddy. Why do you engineers always have to be so technical? In my mind, I'm Sir Lancelot on a beautiful black HORSE. Not a beautiful black TORQUE. (Notice the reference to King Arthur days, just me & ronn?)

Groza
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    MotorWeek is reviewing the 05 Avalon on PBS on Saturday April 30th at 4PM (E.S.T.)
    Set your TiVo's now!
    Also has anyone else had issue with the sound quality of their limited radio's with nav, without Satellite? I hear a distinctive thump every 20 seconds or so on certain FM stations in NYC that I've never heard before, not even at my desk at work.
    Enjoy the show.
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    EXCELLENT FIN. Very constructive. It is the torque and the smoothness. How many of these people are bringing they vehicles up past the 4K line on a constant driving basis????

Any attempt of those supra legal speeds sounds like a recipe for something bad to happen.

well said.

abfisch
  • Options
    avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    I ordered my Limited from an Edmonds, WA dealer on 2-24-05 and took delivery on 4-12-05. My dealer told me as a rule of thumb, when ordering a car, from date of order allow up to 14 days to build and another 14 days to ship.
  • Options
    avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    Not a good idea,I think alot of people do not understand why its not a good idea to use low octain gas-------read european car magazine there is an article in there about What happens to the piston when you use low grade. :blush:

The piston start getting black,yellow,blue burning , it happens because the low octain burns more with less power or rather less explosion.

thus Sonoco 93 octain, people say, it burns better, the hi octain expoldes better not leaving any residue to cause that
    black sloot left on the piston :cry:
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    agent,

That is what I figured. I feel the Avalon will cover 95% of needs and for the rare occasion client's cannot or don't want to use thier own vehicles I could rent a minivan if prospects were pre-qualified.

But I feel in most cases the rear back will be more comfy than the rear seats of a highlander.

I get to have my cake and eat it too. :)
  • Options
    HEY THERE GROZA....... King Arthur didn't ride Black Beauty, but I drive her!!! LOL !!!!!
  • Options
    COME ON PAT...we want to see our reviews.It will take many pages. Were are they? DID EDMUNDS loose them?
  • Options
    libertielibertie Member Posts: 5
    The easiest thing for bug splatters (when they're really bad) is a coating of Vasoline Jelly at the leading edge of the hood and the painted area just above the windshield ......... inexpensive stuff and easy to remove.

Pierre
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Easier yet for bug splatters is Pam non-stick cooking spray. Great for trips.
  • Options
    Hey great Avalon drivers, I tried out the sunshade in the rear window today. It's great!!! I found something interesting...I left it up.When I left work today, and put the car in reverse, the shade automatically goes down. I guess this is a safety thing for backing up. Didn't know if you knew that or not. It surprised me!! COOL THOUGH. hAVE A GREAT NIGHT

RONN :)