Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    avalonmanavalonman Member Posts: 6
    I just got my new 05 Avalon with the Navigation system. I love it. However I hate the sign on screen every time I start the car. Is there any way to eleminate that sign on
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Avalonman........There is a way..mine stays on average miles screen, but I forgot how to do it. You can also have it on climate etc.
    It can be done...if I figure it out....I'll let you know

RONN
  • Options
    teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    This is a nice article about the new Avalon and focus groups and etc. The link is shown below:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/11415672.htm

Tee
  • Options
    I went to the Toyota web site and noticed that you can get the 2006 Toyota Solara electronic brochure. I'm not sure how long the 2006 Solara electronic brochure has been available. So I decided to go to the famous Donlen Corporation build out section of their website, and noticed the "2006 Initial Delivery Month" for the 2006 Solara was 03/05 and the following month 04/05 the electronic version of the 2006 Solara brochure is available. Does this mean I can go to a Toyota dealer and order a 2006 Solara?

If the stars keep lining up according to Donlen Corp. I should begin to see an electronic brochure for the 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser sometime in July, because the Initial Delivery Month will be June. If the stars are fully aligned according to Donlen Corp., the 2006 Avalon electronic brochure should be available sometime in September, because the Initial Delivery Month will be August.

One other note, Toyota 2006 Highlander Hybrid Initial Delivery Month is May 2005, Toyota says the Highlander Hybrid will be on sale at your local dealer in June 2005 and I take it that the electronic brochure for the Hybrid will also be available, this also means a possible 2006 Avalon being available in September 2005.

I'm open for thoughts and comments.

Tee
  • Options
    impartialimpartial Member Posts: 19
    The review was generally positive, but the reviewer called the Avalon "a little dull" and gave it only 4 out of 5 stars - same as the new Ford 500, and less than some other cars. Granted, 4 out of 5 ain't bad. I do wish we would get CRITICAL reviews, not just reports that sound like press releases from the PR department of the car manufacturer. You read the same reviewers report on the Ford 500, and it too is gushing with praise. If all I get are reviews that sound like re-written advertising copy, what's the point? There should be more to reviews than just making us feel good about a car we're considering purchasing (or have already bought).

There are reasons to be at least a little wary about a car that was designed, engineered and brought to market quickly (18 months) and relatively inexpensively (computer models, not real prototypes) based on what I've read. But then, maybe some are confident that fast and cheap is best. Certainly Toyota saved money in the process, and perhaps gives buyers more for their dollar by cutting costs in the design and engineering phases of the new Avalon. Newly redesigned/engineered cars often have quality or defect issues in their first year, and those problems are corrected in subsequent years of production refinement.

Impartial
  • Options
    bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    I want to put a BlueTooth phone in my new Limited (which is "on the way").
    My local audio guy says it cannot be done because the JBL stereo system does not have a mute option which shuts off the radio when the phone rings. Anyone out there have any luck in trying to do this?
  • Options
    Avalonman...try going to screen. Hit agree and then go to info...choose something there, such as milage ( trip) etc. and leave it there. My goes back to that each time without the sign on screen. hope that will help.

RONN
  • Options
    This is another good article about the Avalon in the United Arab Emirates. The link is shown below:

http://www.ameinfo.com/58083.html

Tee
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Research back, we discussed this before. Donlen is strictly for Fleet sales, not consumer, retail or dealerships. The 06 Avalon might not be seen till December or Jan 06.
  • Options
    Thank you for helping me make a point. The material you have linked to is pure commercial publicity from a Toyota distributor. There's nothing wrong with publicity or public relations propaganda in a commercial society. It's a fact of life. However, we must be discerning and not view this as an objective review from an independent authority. There are other forums and sites with critical reviews. I wish there would be more objective balance here. I'm not looking to read negative reviews, but publicity that looks to some like a piece of objective automotive journalism serves little purpose for the consumer. I'm a bit sorry if my views upset readers here. I actually do like the new Avalon, but I need reasonably objective and sometimes critical analysis in product reviews. If all I want to read is the good news, I could study only the sales brochures. Kind of like the rest of the news: I don't want to read only hand-out news releases from the government. I prefer some thoughtful, even skeptical independent reporting and analysis to get to the truth. Impartial
  • Options
    bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    I know this subject has been discussed before, but not recently. My dealer wants $1795 for a 6 yr./100K mi. B to B w/ $0 deductable. Some of you were talking about getting 7 yr/100K warranties for $985. At least one somewhere in MA. Is anything like this available from dealers where you haven't bought your car or from private warranty companies. Would appreciate suggestions. I live in FL, but bought my new Limited in IA.
  • Options
    I realize Donlen Corp. build out is for fleet sales, but you can not argue with the facts that I presented for the 2006 Solara and 2006 Highlander Hybrid, and we will soon see for the 2006 LandCruiser in July.

Tee
  • Options
    currycurry Member Posts: 22
    Just picked up my new '05 Avalon last week. I am trying to change the auto door locking from its current default setting. Currently the doors lock as soon as I put the car in reverse or drive. I have tried to switch it so the doors will lock when the car gets to 12 mph. I have followed the procedure in the owner's manual, and it appears to change. However, the next time I start the car and engage the transmission, the doors lock prior to the car moving. Anyone able to help?

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    I was talking about the Avalon, not the others.
  • Options
    I guess you want someone to make something up that is critical of the Avalon. What can be better than the people who own one and have been posting here. Who could be more critical and honest than Agent. He is just one of many who has told it the way it is, and sorry to report there just isn't that much critical to report. If you want to find a needle in the haystack, or a loose stitch, one could always be found. Some of the authors who wrote their articles road tested the car, and again find nothing basically wrong with this car, so they say the trunk is a little small, or the wood dash doesn't line up with the door wood trim. Yet when it comes to the engine, WOW, nothing but glowing reports, and the silence and the comfort of the seats, etc etc. all the really important stuff and overall quality and ride is excellent. Now they have to find something, but they strecth to do so, so sorry impartial those are the facts.
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "However, the next time I start the car and engage the transmission, the doors lock prior to the car moving. Anyone able to help?"

Mr. (Ms.?) Curry: Per Mr. Libertie, apply Vasoline jelly to door locks. It's inexpensive and easy to remove.

Groza
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    ""Far Out! I finally won something! I'll be eagerly awaiting my prize by hanging out front with Avvy. "

Mikey: Get a hold of yourself. Stop begging. It's not becoming.

Your award will arrive by mail. Look for it soon.

Groza

ps - I gave you all the wrong info about bug splatter removal. I said to use 10W40. DO NOT USE 10W40. That would be dumb. I meant WD40. It's the bomb on bugs. I hope no one went out and schmeared motor oil all over their hoods. Sorry."

Groza; That wasn't begging, that was anticapation. Begging would be..

Groza, Pllleaaassseeeeee hurry up and delivery my prize I reallllyyyy wannntttt sommmeeeethingggg.

OK, begging mode off. I knew when I read 10W40 that you meant WD40. I've used WD40 for years to remove road tar.

Thanks man,

MikeS.
  • Options
    "MotorWeek is reviewing the 05 Avalon on PBS on Saturday April 30th at 4PM (E.S.T.)
    Set your TiVo's now!
    Also has anyone else had issue with the sound quality of their limited radio's with nav, without Satellite? I hear a distinctive thump every 20 seconds or so on certain FM stations in NYC that I've never heard before, not even at my desk at work.
    Enjoy the show."

In the DC area MPT is carrying the show at 5PM Saturday the 30th. They list it as a 2006 model.

My main TIVO is now set to record.

MikeS.
  • Options
    "Easier yet for bug splatters is Pam non-stick cooking spray. Great for trips."

Anyone else do this??? Sounds good, but.....

MikeS.
  • Options
    "I know this subject has been discussed before, but not recently. My dealer wants $1795 for a 6 yr./100K mi. B to B w/ $0 deductable. Some of you were talking about getting 7 yr/100K warranties for $985. At least one somewhere in MA. Is anything like this available from dealers where you haven't bought your car or from private warranty companies. Would appreciate suggestions. I live in FL, but bought my new Limited in IA."

The 985 dollar 7yr 100K mile Toyota Platinum warranty is available for any 05 Avalon owner that wants to pony up the $985. It is available from Greenfield Toyota in Ma.

MikeS.
  • Options
    I've got close to 5K miles on my LTD, I picked it up on 02/10 and have been racking up the miles. I was on the intrerstate shortly after hitting 1K miles when I needed to pass. I was doing almost 80 when I started and topped at about 105 when I noticed how fast I was going. The car was still rock solid and quiet. My daughter was behind me and she later said she was shocked how fast I took off, like a rocket. I've had it at or slightly higher then 100 a couple 3 more times.

Fortunately my oldest is in state law enforcement...We know allt the troopers and deputies :)
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Groza; That wasn't begging, that was anticapation."

Mikey: Try taking Exlax for anticapation. Or Vasoline jelly. It's inexpensive and easy to remove.

Groza
  • Options
    angeleyes1angeleyes1 Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on purchasing an 05 Avalon Limited. I am debating on the purchase of the navigation system. I would like to know if present owners of the navigation system would make the same decision again. In other words do you find the money well spent. Do the voice commands control other parts of the avalon (radio, temperature control, etc...) besides the navigation system?

Thanks for the advise.
  • Options
    hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    Toyota of Greenfield, Mass. will sell you a 7yr/100K, 0 ded. for $985.00. I know because I bought one!! :)
  • Options
    First of all, let me say that I believe the posters on this forum are excellent: polite, thoughtful, considerate, helpful. I am not attacking anyone's motives or personal opinions. However, I think there is a resistance to reviews and/or opinions that are critical about a thing or two, in regards to the new Avalon. There are a number of reviews that have criticisms, and they are not as uncommon as that needle in the haystack. I agree with you that most reviews are positive. In fact, I think that the tendency is to be too positive and not critical enough. If you read reviews in the automotive press, it seems that virtually ALL new vehicles are outstanding. I think most reviewers try not to offend carmakers and enthusiasts, sometimes because they have a commercial or business relationship with advertising. In fact, some gushy reviews seem to be nothing more than re-writes of the actual ads. Not good!

I read one review recently in which the tester found several defects in the Avalon and wrote "the quality problems drop the big Toyota (Avalon) to barely average among full size sedans". Another concluded that the "fit, finish and exterior materials are a giant step down from Acura and Infiniti" and labelled the Avalon as boring. Most positive reviews even seem to suggest that the styling is not extraordinary. On an issue as subjective as styling, I have to disagree with those who don't like the look. I think the Avalon has understated good looks that will wear well. Still, I wonder about initial quality issues in an all-new product like the '05 Avalon. Time will tell. In the meantime, don't shoot the messenger, even if he has news and views that you find troubling. Impartial ;)
  • Options
    bobt2bobt2 Member Posts: 11
    AFAIK the Avalon does not provide Bluetooth support whatsoever.

Saw Bluetooth work in an Acura TL and it is seriously cool.
  • Options
    I agree JUST ME.....The Avalon just doesn't get any better. There is nothing critcal to report. I think IMPARTIAL NEEDS TO GO TO ANOTHER support group, if you don't like us on this forum. If you look at all the reviews, there has been little negative about any of them. I am personnally getting tired of the comments made from IMPARTIAL. Some times the facts just play on peoples nerves. I have customers that always want to gripe and fuss about something, when there is no reason at all for it. For some are never satisfied. I am very thankful to have the money to buy this car, or two if I want, and I'm very glad to be alive!!!! For all of you positive and great folks on here, thanks. We have learned alot from each other.

RONN
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Wanna bet?

I have a deposit... transfered to a '06 Limited....

I'll be driving it in the fall.

(with the latest NAV system)
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I read one review recently in which the tester found several defects in the Avalon and wrote "the quality problems drop the big Toyota (Avalon) to barely average among full size sedans

The article you are quoting is from the DETROIT FREE PRESS. I would be very skeptical about anything they have to say about imports. Had someone from Edmunds, Motor Trend, C&D, or R&T said something like that, that would have been more convincing. I actually got a chance to sit inside the 05 Avalon XLS and found the interior quality to be better than most of the competition. Definitely a lot better than Ford 500 or Buick LaCrosse. Having said that if you want the best possible interior then you should be prepared to shell out the dough. There is a reason Toyota makes the LS430.

Toyota's first year reliability in general has been very good. I bought a 92 Camry which was a first year redesign and didn't have any problem whatsoever in the 12 years that I had the car. Sold the car last year with 132K miles.
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I got the NAV because I wanted the Limited for other reasons (seat memory), and I could only get the car with the NAV. I'm just learning how to use it, & have never had one before. I think I'm going to get more out of it than I expected. Yes, the voice commands include audio, but with steering wheel audio controls, you don't need the NAV voice commands for audio control.

The NAV routing capabilities are limited primarily to major cities, so if you live in a podunk town, the NAV may be almost useless. I live in Los Angeles, & the coverage seems virtually perfect. I'm glad I was forced to get the NAV, and expect to learn how to use it fully.

Max
  • Options
    I respect what you are saying but in reality you are trying to find something that doesn't exist. I welcome anything about the Avalon that is constructive. Not one word of criticism about the engine, and the seats and safety, which is the heart of the car, all the other dressing is insignificant, it's dressing and the dressing of the Avalon is as good and better as anything in it's class. The article you speak about is a light switch that fell off, if it did, and the wood not lining up, where in reality if you bend slightly you will see the dash wood does line up to the door wood. So he looked to find something but couldn't criticize the heart of the car. Your looking for someone to criticize something that isn't there. Take a ride in and and try it for yourself and come back and tell us what you find wrong comparing it to others in it's class. You don't need a reporter to do it for you, you seem to be on the ball, so try it and come back and have a real conversation not second hand from a reporter. You have our reviews and they are real.
  • Options
    avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    Go read a review and settle for nothing less!

I read most of them including my own some good some bad--whatever

voooooommmmmm (280 /hourse power) I just dusted-out a lexus 430

oh my GOD I stll have gas

The fasted car in any of the toyota cars even the SUV's oooops don't tip over. :P
  • Options
    avalonmanavalonman Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I did find that I can start with the Info milage screen without going through the caution sreen. But what I was really looking for was a way to just leave it on the map screen with no need for the caution screen.

Maybe there is a programming hack or something.

Also, I'm sorry we loose the original screen whwn you get the navigation system. I liked the trip time and miles feature and the outside temp. All on one sreen.
  • Options
    Ronn - Perhaps this discussion comes down to a matter of philosophy. Somehow I never thought of this forum as a "support group". I always regarded it as a discussion forum, where pros and cons can be discussed and debated. It has evolved into more of a support or "Avalon fan" group in many ways, and less of a discussion group IF you object to others voicing opinions that don't mesh 100% with yours. Think about it. How boring life would be if you only heard from others who agree with you. You'd have nothing new to learn!

Yes, indeed - I support open critical thinking! :) Impartial
  • Options
    prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    I was going to wait for the '06 model due out this September but decided against it when I heard the '06.25 model (with redesigned NAV) comes out October 15.
  • Options
    You may be right on that review. I believe it was from a Detroit newspaper, and by a writer by the name of Mark Phelan. Some have suggested that he has a bias against Japanese brands. I read all reviews critically, but this particular writer identified and described several defects in his '05 Avalon test car. I agree that you have to consider the source of the article. Still, I wonder how much freedom to be bluntly critical the car reviewers have when they are published in Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track and other publications that depend heavily on ads from the car makers. I'm looking forward to an Avalon review from Consumer Reports, even though they seem to have a bias FOR Japanese cars. Impartial
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    To all;

(warning, lecture coming :))

I understand what impartial is saying. He is not saying that he just wants to see negative reviews, but he is saying that he doesn't consider PR releases to be a legitimate review and that he would like to see reviews that have some objective ideas about what might should or could have been done differently. There is nothing wrong with that viewpoint.

Impartial, it's easy enough to discount the links to PR material. Folks can certainly post those links if they'd like; just mentally blow them off when you see what they are and go on to the next post. Also, feel free to post reviews of any nature, positive, critical, whatever you can find (as long as you follow the rules of posting links, of course, which are outlined in the Rules of the Road at the top of the page.)

I think these folks are feeling criticized by you because they aren't posting reviews with any criticism in it. Maybe that's because they don't see any, maybe it's because they don't want to, but it doesn't matter - they don't have to.

The reason we are not seeing links to the kinds of reviews to which you refer is because no one is posting them. So feel free to correct the situation. :-)

And to a couple of others here, we've been through this before. This is indeed not a "support group", it is a discussion designed to do exactly what impartial is looking for. Lay out the facts - good and bad - and help folks make a decision. Nothing is perfect, there are always nitpicky at least issues with any given vehicle. Pretending like that cannot possibly be true kinda throws off your credibility, you know what I mean? How about the tailpipe issue? Not a biggie, many have had it fixed, but it illustrates my point. Nothing is perfect. If you do see something you consider to be a criticism of the Avalon, there is absolutely NO reason to take that personally and react defensively. We all have our opinions and we are certainly entitled to their differences.

Some of you must understand that people do not have to be in love with the Avalon to post in this discussion. Even though most folks posting here are thrilled with their new cars - and that's really great to see - you can't tell people not to come here if they don't happen to feel the same thrill.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    PAT, As always well said, well done and impartial and unbiased and fair. I would like to make one comment. When I read a review like about a movie, I go see for myself. Many times I loved the movie even if the review was terrible and the reverse as well. Same about the Avalon, reviewers for one reason or another can be biased for many reasons. There is nothing like driving the cars from different manufacturers in the same class and then making ones own decision, right or wrong as to what makes one feel more comfortable, what one feels is more reliable, etc. etc., meaning doing ones own research and coming to ones own conclusion as one arrives at a final purchasing choice of what works best for him or her. IMHO, Don't buy a car based on a reporters story, at least that is how I feel. Test each car yourself, you might find you disagree with the reporters review and might even think he is off base with his praise or criticism. The test is in ones own self diagnosis based on ones own senses and experience, and one might dispute that persons findings as well. But to keep harping on give me a story that criticizes the heart of any car when so far there is no real criticism (of the heart of the car) unless only for the sake of finding some could be for another forum called "Car Reporters, are they Biased/or Unbiased". I speak from my experience of owning 3 Avalons and now the 05 my forth. Perhaps I'm lucky, because my first Avalon was in it's introductory First year issue, and as with the most recent one. I have never had a problem or certainly find no criticism of the heart of any of the Avalons I have owned and driven. I have found them to be quality automobiles in their class and this 05 to be the best of the bunch and the security of believing that Toyota stands behind their product regarding any issues that are under warranty. As far as criticizing a cars design, that is in the Eye of the Beholder. Saying the Avalon is a not in your face designed car that says look at me, you must have me, that's true. But that's a justifiable observation, not really a criticism. Yet there are those that don't want an in your face car that might flaunt itself, or a name plate that people will goggle over, that's a personal decision, and IMHO is not a criticism of any car.
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    I'm just going to use that vasoline stuff to even out my tailpipes. If it doesn't work I know its easy to clean. Personally I like to use it to keep the bugs out of my hair . What Pat's trying to say is that this is not a George Bush town hall meeting. We're allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    >> What Pat's trying to say is that this is not a George Bush town hall meeting. We're allowed to disagree.

ROFL!!

Dang, I used all those words and wasted all that space and you summed the whole thing up in those few words. Will you be my speech writer?? :shades:
  • Options
    Just me, I hear you, especially on the need to make up one's own mind based on one's own personal experience.

>> Many times I loved the movie even if the review was terrible and the reverse as well.

I think that is a very important statement. It also applies to cars. And it means that there is no reason why reviews from all kinds of perspectives shouldn't be linked here (again, as long as they conform, blah, blah :)).

As I noted, I do think that those who want to see a broader spectrum of links need to correct what they find deficient rather than ask others to do so.

And I think the rest of us need to be careful that we don't make folks with different viewpoints feel unwelcome.

Your point about observations vs. criticisms is well taken.
  • Options
    Thank you Pat, and your right everyone should be welcome.
  • Options
    ecarecar Member Posts: 5
    The 985 dollar 7yr 100K mile Toyota Platinum warranty is available for any 05 Avalon owner that wants to pony up the $985. It is available from Greenfield Toyota in Ma.

Also available for about $890 plus tax (total about $910) from McGeorge Toyota, Richmond, VIrginia.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not only that but after the trip you can scrape the little buggers off the hood and grill and eat them! Nice and crispy! ;)
    Mackabee
    :blush:
  • Options
    Impartial, I read that review and also another one he did on the Scion tC which was critical about the car and also had many erroneous information on it. I e-mailed the writer from my workplace and pointed out all the errors on the review and he never did reply to me. I put little faith in what he has to say. Car and Driver has always been impartial in regards to their reviews of Toyotas and tend to favor the Honda products more. Motor Trend has a bias towards domestics as does Road and Track which I belive are owned by the same publishing company. Consumer reports gets no advertising from car companies whatsoever so they have nothing to gain by favoring one product over the other.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Have you guys and gals noticed that anytime we hear about a "bad" review on the Avalon it's always in comparison to Acura and Infiniti? Aren't Acura and Infiniti a "High Line" brand like Lexus? Just an observation.
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    thor1thor1 Member Posts: 4
    it's just a damn car! I own one-I love it-it's not perfect, meets my needs, not for everyone. OK? I might add- anal rententive-obsessive-compulsive, but I won't name.
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    This is my 3rd Avalon (1997, 2000 prior). I'm impressed with this 'un. Of course I'm easily impressed.

Has anyone noticed the lower Center Console squeaks more than a newlywed's bed? I've set up a service appointment with the dealer, but I was wondering if this was common.

Steve
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I also tried to change the door locking mode, with no success. I finally had the dealer service department change it. Don't know what they did or why I couldn't do it as layed out in the Owner's Manual. Maybe they have direct access to the computer.

At any rate, now my doors DO NOT lock when I shift out of Park, and they DO lock when the vehicle speed goes above 12 mph, which is the combination I wanted.

Max