Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hello cafpaf,

Hmmm... Both fog lamps are a little loose in their mounts in my car, as well... I'll be curious to hear if there is a fix.

On the other issue, my door for the cassette player springs/jumps open at the same rate as the door for the radio. Both are equally well dampened.

Best wishes,

havalong
  • Options
    avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    Dud, don't kill your self get the touring it handles better you don't want a boat ride.

that vsc only kicks in on very high speeds whats the point of that,its only a gimmick to sell you something more. :P

as far as all the bull you hear about suspension problem its 3 out 10,000
    it can happen---soooo what? :cry:

vooooooommmmm-280/h---I just passed a BMW-750---oh man I still got gas. :shades:
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    cafpaf -

I noticed exactly the same thing about the fog lamps when I first washed the car (left one only felt loose). Took it into the dealer to tighten up the lamp. After a day long stay at dealers, it still feels a little loose. I decided not to worry about it.

Max
  • Options
    gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Good day cafpaf!!
    Have driven our new Avalon XLS for about 6 weeks and yes, while washing and waxing the car I noticed that the fog lights seemed loose in their mounts. I intend to bring this up to my dealer when I get the first oil change. I have also had a small problem with the passenger side front pillar cover coming loose at the bottom close to the dash. When we picked up our car, we were ready to drive away when I noticed this cover sticking out and asked the dealer to check it out. He supposedly fixed it but it has come loose again. I have tried hammering it with my hand and it seems to stay tight for a few days then comes loose again. There must be a poor fitting snap mechanisim or catch. Another little thing but I love the car overall. We traded in a 2002 acura TL and the Avalon is a faster, better riding, and more solid car. The styling is also great. Enjoy your new Avalon. Hope you don't encounter any more problems. Oh yes, check the tailpipes to see if they hang down equal distance. Many of the new owners reported unequal alignment of the tailpipes.
    Take care!!!
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Oh man I still got gas."

Try Beano.

Groza
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Ronharv, I'm suspicious as well since in I have had un smooth buying experiences at Toyota dealerships especially when compared to Honda. However, these are the offers from several dealerships and they are in writing. True, some would not go below $1,000 off of MSRP. I will probably waiting until late May around memorial day before doing anything if I purchase at all. I may wait for the 2006 model and get one in late December. From several dealerships I checked, Avalons are piling up. In fact, two of the dealers had 10 and 17 Avalons in stock. Best of luck with your new car and happy motoring!

Mack- Thanks for post. I do appreciate your inpout
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    " It was then that I noticed that both fog lamps seem to be loose in their mounts"
    First time I washed my car was over the weekend, and I also noticed how loose the fog lights were. Strange...
  • Options
    impartialimpartial Member Posts: 19
    I've read in past messages that the Toyota 7-year, 100,000 mile, zero deductible warranty can be purchased from a Toyota dealer other than the one you purchased an Avalon from. I've seen prices under $1,000 posted, but my dealer wants $1,600. Has anyone actually purchased a Toyota warranty from a different dealer? If so, at what price? Thanks in advance for any help on this question. Impartial
  • Options
    consult77consult77 Member Posts: 26
    Unless you are without a car and have to purchase now I would avoid paying close to MSRP. Most of the Toyota products can be had for around invoice, often with rebates taken from that number. Toyota appears to like to produce enough vehicles to have a very competitive market. Once production catches up with demand the prices will likely become more reasonable. Toyota is producing over 2,200 Avalons per week. Supply will catchup if it hasn't already. It appears that there a plenty of Touring's and XLS's but not enough Limited's. That just means the mix of future orders will change. Almost no manufactured product stays in short supply for long.

A thought, you might try ordering the car if you want to make a commitment now. It might take several months but it represents the lowest cost way for the dealer to do business and also represents an extra sale - not a car taken out of some short term allotment.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Southeast Toyota is a private distributor and has them available as a PIO. That is why both dealers are correct in saying that they are and are not available depending on where you buy your car. What is available in SET may not be availble for the rest of the country.
  • Options
    johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    The seat cushion ventilators in my Limited work well - cools my butt - but I don't feel any air from the seat back. Aren't there fans in the seat backs? Anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I understand your frustration. The best thing to do is to mention it on your survey. The bad part of this is it will hurt the salesman who had nothing to do with the ordering of the owner's portofolio. It's like a two sided sword. You let them know what's wrong but the wrong guy gets the blame. :(
    Mack
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer Sbell. I was wondering when you were going to help me out here! :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    The touring may be a little more fun to drive but I would personally spend the extra money for the VSC. Vsc does not only kick in in high speeds. VSC actually helps you maintain control of the car in an emergency situation caused by understeer or oversteer no matter what the speed. It works so smoothly you don't even know it's there. Try taking a corner a bit too fast or a curve and you'll see what I mean. There's about a $600.00 difference between both trim levels in invoice markup however you get more for your money on the XLS.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    Thanks mackabee. Appreciate the response. Anybody else out there that has XLS with the graphite interior and darker wood trim? I'm hoping to view one tonight.
  • Options
    ccrider, I have a titanium XLS with the graphite interior and darker wood trim. Excellent choice, fully recommend it.

havalongavalon
  • Options
    p.s. ccrider, when you go view it tonight, make sure to check the tailpipes for evenness and check also the fog lights and trim around them for small rattles. If they rattle, would you ask the dealer what they can do to stabilize them? Thanks!

havalong
  • Options
    Groza or just me,

What was the prize for posting message #5000 ?

havalongavalon :)
  • Options
    gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    And the winner is????
    You get to chair the first meeting of the Avalon owners group!!! Congratulations!!
  • Options
    rainh2orainh2o Member Posts: 19
    It would be great to have a print-out with which to highlight and take notes. I recently ordered a Limited, and would like to perform a pre-delivery inspection based upon your experiences. According to what I've read here, it could save me several trips back to the dealer.

Does anyone know of an easy way to print every post without having to load each of the 250+ pages?

Thanks!

:D
  • Options
    Thanks, glad! And I nominate you to take minutes. Now watch the Canadian Avalon contingency take over and run the show!

(By the way, how many ARE we...?)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    One place to keep track of how many of you are participating is in your Toyota Avalon Owners: Meet the Members discussion.
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    Going back to Page 1 takes you back to 2003. The 2005 Avalon was still a concept to the public. You might want to pick up where the concept has become reality.

If no one can explain how to print the whole thing, try an e-mail to the HOST (usually PAT) in this forum. Click on the HOST in the title bar. Enjoy......
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, no, there is no way to print the whole discussion without going page by page - and I'm sure there are some trees somewhere that are grateful for that! ;)

You can print individual messages that you find helpful, but please be aware the the material on this site is copyrighted. Not that I need to remind you of that, but sometimes people don't realize that all the messages actually are the intellectual property of Edmunds.com.

:)
  • Options
    rainh2o, on behalf of the Avalon Owners Group I thank you for your kind comments. We are reserving a membership for you that you may claim immediately upon delivery of your Avalon.

In the meantime, in answer to your dilemma, I'm sure it wouldn't be worthwhile to print (nor read) all 5000+ entries because there is a lot of repetition and the majority don't deal with problems, fortunately, that you could inspect at the time of delivery. Probably the best thing is for us to collectively create a short list of problems that have been disclosed. You or anyone else can then follow up on the items in the list using the "search this forum" feature.

As Chair of this meeting, I offer to start a numbered checklist of identified problems for new owners to inspect before accepting delivery. I encourage anyone else to add to this list, most preferably by copying and pasting the latest list and adding any new items at the bottom, so that additions are evident in later posts.

item # ____ item ___________ problem _________ solution (if available) _____ see post #

1. dual exhaust pipes---vertical misalignment---bend metal support arm--- (I'll check later)
    2. dual exhaust pipes---horizontal misalignment---slightly bend pipe?---(I'll check later)
    3. dual exhaust pipes---length misalignment---waiting for Toyota to reply---(I'll check later)
    4. passenger seat belt---rattles when not in use---re-orient buckle---(I'll check later)
    5. passenger seat belt---rattles when not in use---raise pillar anchor to top---(I'll check later)
    6. tire pressure---too high upon delivery---set at 32 psi when cold---(I'll check later)
    7. rear view mirror---too high or too low---adjust support arm angle---(I'll check later)
    8. steering (Touring)---pulls to the right---contact Dealer---(I'll check later)
    9. fog lights and trim--- loose; slight rattle---don't know yet---(I'll check later)
    10. tuner & deck covers---don't lift at same rate---(I'll check later)
    11. tuner cover---doesn't latch well---press just below release button---(this post)
    12. document folio---cheap plastic from Dealer---insist to get nice one---(I'll check later)

gotta go... ttyl,

havalongavalon
  • Options
    Pat, thanks for suggesting that one place to keep track of how many of us are participating is in the "Toyota Avalon Owners: Meet the Members discussion." I'd never seen it, so I had a look. There are 20 entries but the last one is well over a month old, and not all were introductions; some got into discussions that would best belong in this main forum. Maybe there is enough to read in this forum alone, just to keep up with the new daily entries!

Now I really gotta go,

Regards and thanks,

havalongavalon
  • Options
    pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Great idea, havalongavalon, of posting problems. It would be great, also, for someone to post helpful hints, e.g. using the starter button for other than starting the motor; opening and locking doors without using remote switch; using homelink. Of course, all of these can be found in the manual but identifying the most prominent is much easier.

Thanks again.

pricecutter
  • Options
    pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    You need to learn the wonders of the "Search this discussion" window at the upper right of each page. Type "Toyota extended warranty" into that window and hit the "Search" button, and it will list every post that mentioned those words. No need to repeat a question on a previously much-discussed issue. Saves having to read 4000+ posts. A great way to catch up on what you are most interested in. :)
  • Options
    lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    RE: loose fog lamps

I noticed that mine moved around when I dried them, too. I thought maybe they were supposed to be that way for some reason or another since no one else had mentioned it. I'll talk to my service manager. By the way, Toyota of Richardson is inviting all their new avalon customers to a Owners Event night where they will serve dinner and give a free oil change coupon plus explain anything you want to know about the Avalon. I had already made plans to be out of town. What a bummer! Oh, something else I noticed when putting my grandkids in the back seat is that the headliner around the back windshield shows raw edges like it is just cut and glued on and not tucked in like around the rest of the top of the car around the front windshield, etc. Anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Thanks for bringing this up pmcb48, I was getting tired of repeating myself. :sick:
    Stopped by your office on Monday but you were not in. They are talking about putting me on the payroll since I spend so much time there! Even the cashier's at the small exchange are starting to call me by my first name.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    The last few weeks when I back out of the drive and than shift into drive my avalon stalls. I know the car is slowly moving still in reverse when I make the shift but never had this issue with my camry's. Ok I need to come to a complete stop but on a busy road you need to get going in a hurry.

Thanks for any thoughts

:confuse:
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    You get to go to Bermuda. However no airline ticket or cruise ship is available. So you have to walk from wherever you are to the Pacific Ocean and swim from there to the Atlantic Ocean and find your way there. If you make it, there is a Big Mac waiting for you. LOL.
  • Options
    havalongavalon, Add to your list a muffled sound that seems to come from the right side near tire level when you turn on the engine and begin to roll for just a couple of seconds. ANSWER...It's the evaporator pump building pressure, it's normal.
    Also add, the dash simulated wood doesn't line up with the door simulated wood. ANSWER...It does, just lower your head to eye level. The break and curve causes this illusion that they aren't lined up from your perch above.
  • Options
    I don't know about the stalling, but personally you should always bring your car to a complete stop before engaging reverse, so you don't begin to harm and chew away the gears on your transmission.
  • Options
    rainh2orainh2o Member Posts: 19
    Thanks, fin and Pat, for the helpful feedback.

Thank YOU, havalongavalon, for initiating an invaluable list! I plan to take a version of the finished product with me to the dealership when my carriage arrives.

'See what I mean: You guys are awesome!
  • Options
    mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    ccrider
    I also ,like Havalongavalon have the titanium XLS with the graphite interior . And ,of course, MY car is the best looking that I have seen. Just a little prejudiced !!!
    Had a little problem today. Had the windows tinted (same person has done about three other cars of ours, did great job) .45 min. later was showing car to friend,noticed a large ripple on the frame of driver side window. Took it back immediately. Bottom line-the heat gun to dry the film probably touched the window frame and melted it. The guy is going to pay for fix which entails order of part and installation. Of course part is back ordered, but just knowing it can be fixed was a relief.
    Also, seems to be a "wind ruffle" noise in the dash when arriving at 30 & up.Hope TOY can figure that one out.
    MMG1
  • Options
    Updated 29 April 2005

________ item ___________ problem _________origin or suggested solution ___ see posts #

1. dual exhaust pipes___vertical misalignment__bend support arm up__3817, 3851, 3852, 4302
    2. dual exhaust pipes___horizontal misalignment___should not bend tailpipe ___ 4302
    3. dual exhaust pipes___length misalignment___waiting for Toyota to reply__ 3817, 4299, 4302
    4. passenger seat belt__rattles when not in use___twist belt, re-orient buckle__3011, 3016, 3017
    5. passenger seat belt__rattles when not in use___raise pillar anchor to top___3028, 3693, 3694
    6. tire pressure________too high upon delivery____set at 32 psi cold___ 3281, 3426, 3829, 4602
    7. rear view mirror______too high or too low_______adjust support arm angle---4769, 4778
    8. steering (Touring) ____pulls to the right________contact Dealer___ 3960, 4002, 4874, 4886
    9. fog lights and trim____slightly loose; may rattle___don't know yet___ 4981
    10. tuner & deck covers__don't lift at same rate______have them fixed___4981, 4982
    11. tuner or deck cover__doesn't latch if slammed___ just press below release button___5009
    12. document folio_____cheap plastic from Dealer___insist on getting a nicer one___ 4852, 4904
    13. R side near wheel___faint sound after engine starts__evaporator pump starts (normal)__4231
    14. dash & door trim__pwood may seem misaligned__optical illusion (recline seat to view)__4778
    15. rear window roof liner__only glued; not tucked in__don’t let children reach up & detach___5013

Feel free to update or add new items and re-post this list as needed.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • Options
    pricecutter suggested that it would be great for someone to post helpful hints, (e.g. using the starter button for other than starting the motor; opening and locking doors without using remote switch; using homelink). A very good idea, certainly.

Do we have a volunteer who would like to start this list?

Gladiator99, are you there? :)

Whoever takes this on, make sure to include an entry for the very useful

TOYOTA WEBSITE: www.mynewavalon.com (see post #4122 by boatsman)

havalongavalon
  • Options
    Int, Thanks for your comments, I agree that the liner finish around the rear window seems a bit rough. A problem that can well develop is that kids (or any rear seat passenger, really) could reach up and start pulling and tearing down the liner. My kids when they were small did this to our 1997 Camry -- sometimes I could watch them in the rear view mirror as they reached up from their elevated carseats and picked at the liner edge. In the Camry, the liner was made of a stiffer material that would bounce back, so it was not a big problem; but I could see the liner bend down when they grabbed it.

I made an entry in the table under #15, although this is more of a "helpful hint" than a pre-posession checklist item and should probably be transferred to the other list when we have one.

havalongavalon
  • Options
    just me, thank you, thank you, you are so kind! Will I need to carry a passport?

By the way, I have been wondering what "LOL" stands for, in the context of this forum. You guys tend to use it a lot, so I thought I should ask...

See you in Bermuda,

havalongavalon
  • Options
    littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Just purchased an Avalon Limited from Beltway Toyota. They are great people to deal with.

Question: Does anyone know how we can order Color-Matching Mudguards from the southeastern Toyota zone?? Only black ones are offered in the Central Atlantic area.
  • Options
    chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    Yep, you need a passport. Why are you up at 3:49 AM? Do you work the night shift?
  • Options
    agentagent Member Posts: 56
    16. Rear Window__Always Seems A Little Fuzzy__Turn Down The Bass!! :shades:
  • Options
    Thank YOU, LOL. Means, laugh out loud
  • Options
    rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    havalongavalon writes: Feel free to update or add new items

Check the paint - mine had a slight pinhead imperfection. Not enough for me to hassle the dealer about.
    Rear sunshade squeaks or binds. I recall this item from a previous post.

You may also want to include the previous big items such as engine hesitation and transmission lag.

Thanks for putting the list together. A great idea.

rewop
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    After driving to the store for some adult beverage yesterday, I got out of the car and attempted to lock it by pushing the button on the door handle (normal ops with SmartKey when fob is in pocket).

The doors would not lock and a warning buzzer continued to bee[ (steady tone).

So, I took the key fob out of my pocket and pushed the lock button which caused the doors to lock.

Then, the thought ocurred to me that perhaps my wife left her purse in the car (with key fob inside).

Sure enough, that was the problem.

The manual probably explains it, but I don't recall.

Bottom line - the wife paid for two six-packs.

And, she does know better than to leave her purse in the car, even when garaged.
  • Options
    funguyfunguy Member Posts: 11
    I noticed that a lot of folks are buying the graphite interior. My daughter had a black interior a few years back and bought the car in Feb...no problems until June in San Diego area. Several other friends indicated that they would never ever again have a dark interior on a car. Anyone in southern states...like FL driving with Graphite interiors?
  • Options
    avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    Hello Mackabee (one of the very few who knows what they are talking about)

I tend to disagree, but your right it is good for the rain in moderate speed
    and even in snow but if you have front wheel drive its all the same.

I know a stunt driver in hollywood and he said the best car to control in any wheather or speed must have, I repeat must have a break handle on the
    center console in any emergency whatsoever, He said that emergency break
    as a foot peddle is the worst thing you can have. He said the problem is not to many people have the skill to know when to use the emergency break at a given situation.

As Far as understeer or oversteer again this is for car racers that have these problems frequent.I had both worlds my Solara had this system VSC and now the Avalon touring and there is no difference of the two.---by the way there is alot of talk of speed limit and so far I have done 140 MPH and the car is still handle
    smooth but I must admit I have not tried that in the rain and VSC would be useful
    in the rain at high speed--------what I'm trying to say is hardly anybody does this
    with there car---well to each his own.

70 percent of all stunt skill is the emergency break lever in the middle console
    the rest of the 30% is the driver.---I liked the avalon so much that I did not realize
    that it had a foot peddle for emergency break -only limo cars and luxury car have this they are not intentent for speed but comfort like rolls royce or what have you
    ;) .
  • Options
    photoquestsphotoquests Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up my new Blizzard Pearl Limited. You guys are right, this is a great car.

I paid $1,000 over invoice, a total of 34,730 with laser cruise, Nav, special color, VSC, TRAC, BA and floor/trunk mats. There was no option charge for the smart key or the Michelin's that I had requested and thought they would charge me for. The dealer add a gold accent stripe, silver wheel lip moulding and white door edge guards. The total on the sticker was 37,649. It took 7 weeks from order to get it here on the left coast. I bought the 7 year/100k mile Toyota Platinum warranty for $1,695 and the clear bra, 3M package for $595. The warranty has a refund option so when we sell in 4 years we get about $800 back.

I will post some photos later today so stay tuned.
  • Options
    justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    lot's of luck...that's what it means to me...tongue in cheek, would be another take on it. one of the advantages to the avalon interior is the parrking brake foot control...thank god they didn't use the handle between the seats!! understeer is the name of the game with fwd...you push a fwd platform too hard and you WILL have understeer. jackg 90seville 96k