Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I just realized that the title of this topic is "2005 Infiniti M35/M45" when in fact the new M is a 2006 model. Hosts: can we please change this? Thanks.
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Oh dear! That's what I meant! Thanks.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Done!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    Has Infiniti lost its mind? No way I'm putting down 60 grand for an Infiniti. These Japenese companies are trying to match the Germans in terms of pricing, but Infiniti doesn't have the name and prestiege that Mercedes or BMW has. I really was interested in the M 45, but not at that price. How the devil is Infiniti going to have a fully loaded M45 more expensive then the QX truck? If Infiniti was smart and I hope they are, they'll price the M class starting in the high 30's to a fully loaded 45 in the high 40's. Be smart and not greedy Nissan, your car isn't on the level as Benz ot Lexus, build up to that point, then raise the price, when the public is confident in your product. I'll be looking at the new RL now, a fully loaded one will be under 50 grand, and Honda has an excellant reputation for quality. Sorry Infiniti, you just priced this customer out of your product. I just knew the pricing for this car would be high 30's to high 40's. Well it looks like the germans won't loose any sleep now, because not a lot of people are going pay the money for an M 35/45 when you have the E Class, and 5 series in the same price class.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I would not doubt if this model becomes heavily discounted eventually.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    First, the prices on the Infiniti site are not final. They change from time to time, and serve info gathering purposes for Infiniti.

Second, stuff like DVD RES and aero kits should not be included to compare pricing to other cars, since other cars in this class do not even offer DVD RES and aero kits are accessories.

Acura has an excellent reputation for quality, but so does Infiniti. In fact, Infiniti is second only to Lexus when it comes to long-term reliability and initial quality, according to surveys.

The M35 AWD is in the same class as the RL, not the M45. I suspect that a similarly equipped M35 AWD will be about the same price as a RL.

I also expect a similarly equipped M45 to be about $8,000 to $10,000 less that a 545i.
  • Options
    valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    Further to my last post on this discussion topic, and in response, you neglect to note the immediate historical fact that Infinitis depreciate faster than crap through a goose. The German cars don't.

Yes - Infinitis are better engineered than those faltering Teutonmobiles (sinking daily in JD Power and Consumer Reports quality surveys), and yes, Infiniti is the equal or better of Acura - but I agree with the earlier poster - the demographic for the M will defect in droves to the RL, or the new GS (both equal or better engineered) based on price overreach alone.

Infinitis depreciate faster than either Acura or Lexus, and way faster than the (undeserved) Germans. Try to trade an Infiniti sometime, if you doubt this. (Especially the Q's, where only a fool would buy new, and pay the dealer the crushing gross margin, only to see values drop through the floor in the first couple of years). Infiniti has no precedent for $50-60K pricing on this 'baby Q' niche product. The old "M" was a disaster re N/A sales, and the "Q" is an ongoing depreciation disaster for all buyers.
  • Options
    True, some Infinitis have really bad depreciation. But the "Ghosn" Infinitis--FX, G35, and G35 Coupe, have excellent depreciation. It's too soon to tell for the QX.

I disagree that the demographic for the M will defect in droves to the RL and the GS. I think that the M will slightly outsell the RL, and sell about the same number as the GS.
  • Options
    "Further to my last post on this discussion topic, and in response, you neglect to note the immediate historical fact that Infinitis depreciate faster than crap through a goose. The German cars don't."

From CCN/Money;

G35 Coupe; 2 year retained value 68%, 5 year retained value 50%.

Had a look at the residuals on the FX range? The current M45 does depreciate quickly but it was always slated as a stop gap car. The newer Infiniti models are holding their value very nicely thank you.
  • Options
    maxmanmaxman Member Posts: 11
    Too bad Toyota can never match any other truck maker they will always make trucks on a 7/8 scale. By the way that pre 98 Landcruiser/LX450 4.5 V6 was in fact an inline 6 cyl
  • Options
    maxmanmaxman Member Posts: 11
    Right on the $ lets just hope people will take note and speed to their local Infiniti retailer
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Never is an awfully long time. Toyota has admitted that the Tundra is not where it should be, and its complete redesign thats coming in a few years should adress that. Have you seen the concept? What Toyota does need to do though is match or beat Nissan's 5.6L 8. The 4.7 doesnt cut it in today's world.
  • Options
    wibble and jrock - I agree that the Ghosn Infinitis are doing better - but these lines are only a few year old - not much track record. And the G and FX "Problems" board here isn't exactly empty.

While ex-BMW types like me can't understand why the German competition have a 5-year retained value of about 66%, Infiniti is definitely gaining on them.

But the original point by Founder is that the new M35/45 isn't worth that 'trial balloon' pricing floating out there now. I do think some of the target market (me included) will defect - even to the pedestrian RL or GS - both of which do look less 'sexy' than the new M. But then, the buyers in this segment probably aren't after 'sexy', anyway.

That can be left to the guys in the G35s - with their chipped paint, brake dust, scored rotors, cheapie silver plastic consoles and scuffed leather.

PS - one dealer tried to 'sell' that fake silver console they put in the G35s with 'yeah, but Infiniti was smart - it's solid silver plastic, not painted, so scratches don't show as bad'

Give the guy an award - it was a 35coupe, so I just pointed to the door speakers - the ones right by the area most people kick entering and exiting - and showed him his 100Mile-old demo's chipped off 'solid silver'.

At least the FX (and the M too) uses metal in those areas.
  • Options
    The '05 G has traded plastic for real aluminum in the center console. Its not the best cabin in the segment, but its a lot better than it was. It will also beat the pants off of any A4 or BMW 3 that can be had for the same price.
  • Options
    chibitotorochibitotoro Member Posts: 1
    It is true that appearance doesn't always tell you a car's personality. The current M45 looks terrible, but have you ever driven one? Infiniti is all about the drive, a definite Performance/Luxury car as opposed to Lexus's "Luxury/Performance" lean. If you contend that the new M45 would not have the personality of a true sports sedan in comparason to the GS, then you have obviously never driven an infinity, or else you simply prefer to drive in a luxury boat as opposed to a sporty sports sedan.
  • Options
    lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    I never said the current or the next infiniti M series are boring to drive or something like that. It is just that someone (I don't remember who...) said the next GS will be boring, just because it looked less sporty or elegant than the next M. Did you ever drive the next GS or M? Well I think no so you won't make me swallow the next GS will be a «boat» to drive just because you don't like its silhouette. However I agree with you that the current M is ugly, but has talent in performances and driving.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Infiniti release 2 production pics today:

original short PR:
    http://nissannews.com/infiniti/news/products/20040902101706.shtml

direct link to pic page

http://nissannews.com/multimedia/concept2005/infiniti_m.shtml
  • Options
    Still looks good.
  • Options
    The local press started running the '05RL stories and pix, including pricing. While the M is purportedly taking aim at the Germans, the real competition will likely be this RL. It's eerie how closely these two match up re: standard RL with the new SH-AWD vs. M35 AWD with Premium Pkg (at least if you believe the pricing on the Infiniti M Concept test site).

The RL is taking the old $42K price up a whopping $10K, so each of Infinti and Acura probably think they have a captive market at $50-52K, believing that the demographic is going to see their cars as a slight 'deal' compared to the V8 Germans. Or not - remember, these prices go with (a very nice) 6 only. They're pushing 540i prices now - and even an ugly BMW will probably still outsell these alluring Nipponese flashers, on snob appeal alone.

But it'll be fun to see if the RL can grab a quick foothold due to its earlier launch.
  • Options
    draguladragula Member Posts: 10
    52 large for an RL? I don't think Acura could pull that off. Besides, the latest issue of Car and Driver (Oct/04) has an article on the new RL in which they got to briefly drive the car around Summit Point. They also quoted Tom Eilliot, Honda's executive V-P of auto operations as saying the new RL will be priced significantly under 50k.
  • Options
    skibumnjskibumnj Member Posts: 12
    Completely agree with some of the other posters that the M35 AWD should be priced in the mid to upper $40's, which would be consistent with the Audi A6 Quattro.

BTW...I went to the web site to build one of these and I noticed that the nice light gray leather interior (like the car on the web site has), is not offered as an option. I'd like to see that come back as one of the options.
  • Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136

Nice!

• Options
    manbil7manbil7 Member Posts: 15
    I liked the original FUGA Japan light beige interior -- almost Jaguar XJ like in its treatment of leather and wood (well fake burl walnut... but it's high quality at least). So it's not going to be offered here?? :-(

I'm in the market for the new RL. This car then is bigger or smaller size-wise?

I remember from the Japanese PR blurb that the FUGA has a stretched G35 chassis, gaining in the back seat legroom primarily.

Anyhow -- eager to see how much of the nice interior survives on the way to the Infiniti showroom.
  • Options
    draguladragula Member Posts: 10
    I LOVE that tobacco (?) colored interior. Gives it a real classy look.
  • Options
    You forgot some!

• Options
    Horay for Nissan! Its been years since anyone has said "wow" to a Nissan interior. Absolutely fabulous job, especially the wood trim version. Looks better than the concept GS interior.
  • Options
    fugafanfugafan Member Posts: 6
    I agree; overall a nice job. I still like the original Fuga better ( especially the "cool" blue instrument panel lights and the entire interior lighting - indirect overhead lights,door lighting, etc). Absolutely hate the orange instrument panel on M45 (even red would be better). I hope the bulb is changeable by the dealer.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, I'm still not sure I like the move to Nissan's "halloween" color scheme. I've always liked Lexus' electro-luminescent gauges, and I really like the cool blue Acura has been using lately. Nissan orange... not so much.
  • Options
    Me too - I'm still undecided on Infiniti's color scheme. But after watching how the lights light up on the M site, I seem to like them much better.
  • Options
    I really like white gauge as well. But last weekend, I drove a rental Grand Am, and I thought, hey, this red/orange ain't that bad.

Apparently, red/orange is "scientifically" the least tiring color on the eyes for long trips. White is in the middle in this respect. Blue is supposed to be tiring, although it looks cool.
  • Options
    "Apparently, red/orange is "scientifically" the least tiring color on the eyes for long trips"

And affects night vision the least, hence red lights in photographic gark rooms and astronomical observatories.
  • Options
    So maybe the gauges aren't so bad anymore!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Well I've owned a late model Audi and currently one of my cars is a G35. My son owned a Grand Am. Personally I do not find the red objectionable on the Audi or Pontiac. In fact it looks striking yet soothing. The Infiniti's orange for some reason, is more tacky and looks cheap IMHO.
  • Options
    manbil7manbil7 Member Posts: 15
    Did anybody save the original FUGA pics? The interior was quite different as I recall (light colored wood (Honey Maple) and light beige interior) and impressive as it first appeared.

I don't like the production interior. They redesigned the front center console (right angled as opposed to the flowing original) and the dark color selections of the wood and leather now is IMHO not very good. Definitely less luxurious looking.

Whoever made these decisions stateside -- made a mistake. :-(
  • Options
    These decisions weren't made stateside - it's the same exact car in Japan. Plus, the interior you liked was for a CONCEPT car.
  • Options
    Concept interiors are always dolled up to the max. The interior in Cadillacs 16 concept probably cost more to make than a new STS
  • Options
    bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Maybe the orange lights look cheap because orange was used on cheap monitors years ago.
  • Options
    bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
  • Options
    You could buy a Kia for the price I was paying for orange/black monitors back in '78!
  • Options
    In case anyone hasn't seen it elsewhere the release date is set for 2/28/2005.
  • Options
    Great! That's the first report I've seen noting a release date.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Can one conclude that the lack of activity on this board is due to a lack of interest in the car?
  • Options
    dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    Well, there is a whole website devoted to Nissan/Infiniti cars in which there are several threads on the new M, but i am in no position to name any names.
  • Options
    I dont think its so much lack of interest as lack of speculation, or design comments. Most of the RL posts (at least last time I was there, which was awhile ago) was a big discussion about the trunk hump and interior design. Most of the GS430 posts are about what is going to happen with the new 3.0 and 3.5L engines from Toyota, what power they are going to have, and how Lexus plans to position them. Nissan has already released all of the specs on the M35 and M45, so theres not really much to gossip about.
  • Options
    Well said!
  • Options
    I for one am VERY interested to see if Nissan has gotten the car right this time, how about that first test Edmunds??
  • Options
    bananadanbananadan Member Posts: 8
    I've been reviewing my options since I need to replace two cars between March 2005 and Sept. 2005 - - the joys and burdens of leasing. So I've been checking out Acura RL, M Concept, Audi A6. pretty much eliminated BMW based on owning two previously (X5, 328.) Don't really want to go down that road again. Looking for legroom, luxury, yet crisp handling. My feeling this far: why is Acura so cheap as to only put a "four way" seat on passenger side? In a car that costs $48K? maybe all the high-tech stuff makes up for it . . . I doubt it. Audi so far has my vote on comfort-oriented featuers like rain sensing wipers and auto-on headlights. plus, I am driving two Audis right now, and for two and three years respectively they've been the nicest, most reliable cars i've driven. So the only other car that intrigues me right now is the M concept, and its two incarnations. looking forward to Edmunds test drive and getting behind the wheel. Climate Controlled seats are a killer feature. the new Lexus GS will have them, but then you have to put up with their new styling, which I think is "whale with wings . . ."
  • Options
    needtospeedneedtospeed Member Posts: 2
    You're right about the Acura RL. They still can't get that car right.

My feeling on the new 2006 M45/M35 is that I'm waiting until the next model year before I make a decision.

This way you'll be able to see what problems arise and when dealing with a new model they always seem to have some issues.

Good Luck....
    i30 Owner
  • Options
    What was it that you didnt like about owning a BMW? I'm glad your Audi's have been reliable, but if that was the reason you ruled out BMW this time, I would advise against an A6. If you look up the stats on the previous car, its one of the worst cars to come out of a company that has a history of unreliable, mechanical problem riddled cars. If you plan on handing it back when the lease is up, I guess the A6 is worth consideration, but from what I know and have heard from Audi owning friends, is once the odo hits 60K, danger Will Robinson! Don't all of these cars have auto-on lights by now? If they dont, thats rather pathetic, my '96 LS400 had that. I agree that a 4-way passanger seat in that class is unacceptable. Again, the '96 LS had 10-way power for BOTH seats.
  • Options
    Let's try to stick to the M35/M45 - there are active discussions about the RL and BMW vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR