Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    You meant the interior space of M?

- www.infinitinews.com (official...)
    - click on "2006 Infiniti M"
    - click on the "Specifications" on the right hand side.
    - scroll down
  • Options
    Lexusguy, I can say that RL is the best design effort from Honda/Acura ever! The styling is subjective. To each one's own. No comments there from me. Since my 540iA is really not any bigger than the RL (in interior space, trunk, etc.), I really don't care that much about those. Three things bother me, though
    - 39.7ft of turning circle
    - lack of low-end power
    - 180ft or braking distance from 70-0.
    Those don't spell "sporty" to me. At least M45 would take care of two of the three
    - 36.5ft of turning circle
    - V8 with 333ft-lb
    Nissan typically do well in braking. 160ft from 70-0 would be satisfactory to me...
  • Options
    valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    I read this reply with some mirth. I've done some research, talked to some floor reps (not too bright, really), and here's their admitted reason why a 2005 RL just off the same boat from Japan at Vancouver is being priced at almost CAD$10K more than the same car directed south - Canadian Dealer Network Greed.

Honda Japan has a few finance folks. They know that the F/X is running against the $USD. Every rise in the $CAD against the $USD makes the price goudge in Canada even worse. Maybe after Honda Japan looks at the piss-poor sales that the RL is going to ring up in Canada this model year, they may consider taking a few dealership principals out to the woodshed for being so dumb on pricing.

Do you think the guy who set the Canadian MSRP is going to get a promotion? After all the competitors come into play by June? How many folks with CAD$50-75K to drop on a car are going to wear the Acura RL 'Kick Me' sign on their back, and smile? Honda is not going to get much help on moving 600 units this year with these geniuses in charge. Time to 'revitalize' Acura Canada, probably.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I was disappointed, though not really surprised, by the RL's poor braking performance. I dont understand what the deal is there. Honda is a champion of innovation, and yet their brakes work like drums from a '77 Cadillac. Just about every Honda product is bottom of the class when it comes to braking performance. You think they would've taken apart some Porsche discs to learn how to make actual brakes that work.
  • Options
    The worst part was actually, in their press release, Honda/Acura bragged about the brake on RL being comparable to high performance German sedans, and I thought to myself, "hey, they finally got it." Apparently, not. If a MB E320 can do 165ft (70-0), RL should match that.
  • Options
    In keeping with the athletic capabilities of the RL, Acura designers upgraded the 4-wheel disc brakes to create a true high-performance system. They targeted the braking performance of top-level competitors from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz as the benchmark to meet and exceed.
  • Options
    "In keeping with the athletic capabilities of the RL, Acura designers upgraded the 4-wheel disc brakes to create a true high-performance system."

But then they had a change of heart, decided "who cares", and just slapped on the old brakes.
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I thought it wasn't brakes themselves that mattered. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm used to cars with narrow, crappy wheels, but I thought cars always came with brakes that were capable of locking up the wheels... and braking distance would depend on how hard you could brake without doing so.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Too much focus on the Acura RL in here - let's mainly to info about the upcoming Infiniti.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Projected at 2,000/month, Nissan sold 10,000 Fugas in the first month it was released.

This is the blue I like

http://response.jp/issue/2004/1115/article65561_1.images/76323.jp- g
  • Options
    gsedanmangsedanman Member Posts: 14
    That is a great blue.....In the G line it looks like 'Twilight Blue'.
  • Options
    dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I would like to thank ceric for posting that video. It was fun to watch.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    holy cow 10,000 fugas is a lot, even when considering the cheaper 2.5L version.
  • Options
    I would like to thank ceric for posting that video. It was fun to watch.

Glad that you enjoy it as much as I did. Don't miss out these nicest photos of Fuga.

http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_FUGA/EN/photographs.html

Pay attention to this special Fuga with a different tail light. I haven't figure it out yet. Anyone?

http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_FUGA/IMG/CARS/LOW/fuga_27.jpg
    Is it the 250GT that we won't see in US?
  • Options
    The different tail light is from a Fuga model lower than GT, which is named XV in Japan. Both 250XV and 350XV are available in Japan.
  • Options
    Modern features like ABS, EBD, and BA basically remove pretty much all of the driver out of the car's ability to stop. It comes down to weight, tire grip and brake design, something Honda apparently doesnt understand how to do properly. I just read C&D's report on the Accord Hybrid, 70-0 braking was almost 195ft. Thats so poor it could be considered dangerous.

Question about those Fuga interior shots. I've never seen that black laquer trim on any M45 pictures. Its delicous. Is that a Japan only trim?
  • Options
    lexusguy, I hope they put that piano black trim in the M, it is gorgeous and smooth like butter.

If anyone working for Infiniti is reading this board, please make this trim available on the new M. I have very little doubt in my mind that cost/benefit for having this trim would be worth your while.
  • Options
    Currently available in Japan:

http://www2.nissan.co.jp/FUGA/Y50/0410/GRADE/main1n.html

In US, we would mostly get the higher end models only. i.e. I don't think we would get XV, but fully loaded GT.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I usually post on the FX45 board, as I have a 2003,but I have been following the new M45 developments as I take all the car mags.
    My FX45 is my first Infiniti, and my first "SUV" type vehicle. I like the fact that it's more like a car than the typical SUV.
    The FX is the first automatic tranny car I have had since I started driving in 1965. I could say that I'm mostly satisfied with the Nissan 5 speed auto. It follows my driving style most of the time, but I do catch it with it's pants down when I need power "right now" occasionally.
    My last lease was a 2000 Lincoln LS with a Getrag manual. While a second slower 0-60 than the FX, it had great control and exceptional handling. I went to more than one Solo2 with the LS. I can't imagine the FX in SCCA.
    I was going to buy a G35 manual instead of the FX, but it was down on power and needed an LSD which at the time was not offered. The G also had a lean interior and needed more sound insulation.
    I sat in the "old" M at my local dealership and they were trying to give it away at a super price. But I knew the "new M" was right around the corner and I can't wait to see it.
    I think it will be the right combo of handling, power and luxury despite it's automatic tranny, which may be better than the FX.
    I also think it will be a better performer than the GS400 and others and a better value.
    I'm sold on Infiniti. It seems like Ghosn and I have the same philosophy, and the Japanese make the most reliable cars in the world. I kept my 83 Cressida Manual for 17 years and it never let me down.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Loving that black trim! Stands out from everyday wood and silver trim you see everyday!
  • Options
    gsedanmangsedanman Member Posts: 14
    Yes that black (Dark) trim is great. I've had silver, for a few years and don't want it again, and the wood trim may not be available in the Sport model. That dark trim would make my day.
  • Options
    Interesting post. Carlos Ghosn is sort of the Bob Lutz of Nissan, injecting some much needed life into them. Nissan and Infiniti have been getting double digit sales gains month after month thanks to his cars.

The V8 powered M45 will definitely outrun the RL, but I dont know about GS430. Lexus' 4.3L V8, despite the fact that its down on power, has a new close ratio six-speed that should improve performance over the old GS430 which was already one of if not the fastest automatic V8 in its class, beating 540iA, E500, and A6 4.2, with 0-60 in under 6 seconds. As for the handling, I dont really know at this point. The M45 will be a stellar handler, thats for sure. The big question mark is the GS430. I dont think they would take it to Nurburgring unless they were serious this time, though.
  • Options
    According to Infiniti, the current M can do a sub-6 0-60, so I wouldn't be surprised if infiniti engineers could shave another couple tenths in the new M.
  • Options
    The difference is the GS430 could actually road test under 6 seconds. The M couldnt. Infiniti said the Q45 was faster than it actually was as well, and the M and Q except for the body are pretty similar. Edmunds test put the '03 M45 at 6.4 seconds. It wasnt that it didnt have the power, it was that the Q and M's gearing was poor.
  • Options
    Hmm. I stand corrected. Well, it never felt that fast to me anyway.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I usually post on the FX45 board"

I never poste there, but good to see you post here.
    M45 MAY make it to my short list.
    Have you driven an '05 G35x?
    Some further refinements, as I understand.
    - Ray
    Still (and again) in the Lincoln LS camp - and quite happy with the manumatic trans . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Good to see I am not the only FXer on this board. Yeah the M45 looks like a winner. If they price it right (fully loaded under 55k) it will be a runaway success like the G and FX.

The G while nice is just too small and the Q looks like something my mother would drive. The new M looks to get it just right. The interior is first rate and the powertrains are there.

The only questions are first year bugs and lease rates. The GS is nice but I assume like every other lexus it will be too softly sprung and not hard edged enough. The RL while nice has no torque.
  • Options
    "The GS is nice but I assume like every other lexus it will be too softly sprung and not hard edged enough."

I wouldnt assume in this case. The GS may be Lexus' first real midsize sports sedan. I would at least give it a try.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I will give it a try. But the specs for the 6 cylinder are underwhelming so far. I like the int/ext as I like the current model. However I have never driven a lexus and came away with I gotta have this car feeling. Maybe the GS is that car. Lexus is a logical choice in most of the segments however they have yet to produce a vehicle that has any emotion in it.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Considering that the G35 gets stellar handling without being engineered at Nuurburgring (is that right?), I'm sure the M can keep up, if not surpass, its competition.
  • Options
    Its Nurburgring :) The M's new platform is a stretched version of G's, and according to Infiniti, rigidity is up significantly over G35. One early test drive said Infiniti showed him a computer simulation of the G35 and M45's front ends under hard acceleration, and compared to M, the G35 was "flopping around like a fish out of water".

I just wonder what the "they'll never outhandle a German car" people are going to say now. Sorry, but the lowly Acura RL already outhandles Germany.
  • Options
    Apparently, there are more than 1 "COTY" in Japan... Fuga just won one. Here is the machine-translated content (with my revision)

RJC (the Japanese automobile researcher journalist meeting) announced "2005 annual RJC cars of the year" on 16th. The grand prize, "the car of the year", goes to the NISSAN Fuga, while "the car of the year - IMPORT" goes to the Audi A6. In addition, "the technology of the year" award, goes to HONDA legend's 4 wheel
    drive system, "SH-AWD".

To become eligible, the automobiles must be new and available at dealers as of October 30, 2004.

Car of the year, primary candidates
    - NISSAN Fuga
    - HONDA Legend
    - NISSAN Tiida
    - Mazda ベリーサ(?)
    - Toyota Crown
    - Subaru R2

Car of the year - import, primary candidates
    - BMW 1-series
    - Smart four four(?)
    - Audi A6
    - Volkswagen Golf
    - Volvo V50/S40
    - Renault メガーヌ(?)
  • Options
    skitzoskitzo Member Posts: 18
    Doesn't look like anyone has posted these links, and they appear to be freshly updated (note the stamps at the bottom of the pages -and I check them routinely, content seems completely different from last time..!)

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2006vehicles/infiniti_m/overvi- ew.shtml
    http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2006vehicles/infiniti_m/glance- .shtml
    http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2006vehicles/infiniti_m/specs.- shtml

I recently saw the car at the Miami Auto Show.. was thoroughly impressed. Had been gawking at the car ever since the Fuga related information 8+ months ago. I have recently posed some questions to Infiniti/nissan customer care, but no response yet (they used to be good).

My car purchases over the past few years have been...
    '98 GS300
    '02 GS300 sport design
    '03 FX45

Love(d) the GS; it's still in the family. Love the FX, am very very disappointed with the dealer(s) treatment and some "interior build quality issues" are definitely evident to me. It's no lexus quality wise, but the car performs amazingly. Regardless, I am VERY disappointed in the new GS.. Lexus have lost any potential purchase there from me. I thought it would at least be a potential contender for the M, but it appears they weren't concerned when designing it.

My largest disappointment with nissan/infiniti collectively is their poor move to place their 90mph limit on all of their cruise control system. Very obnoxious, disappointing, and unwarranted i'd have to say (no other *foreign* manufacturers seem to be doing this..).

My next disappointment for the M45 is no AWD. AWD in the M35 only.. why? The FX45 has it.. I don't want to give up the great V8, or the wonderful AWD. Why should I have to pass up either? And in this case.. which SHOULD I suffer without? AWD? V8? grrr..
  • Options
    AWD and a V8 in the class is unusual. There's the Audi of course, but not much else. 5, E, GS, and a I believe STS as well are all RWD only with the 8.

What particularly dont you like about the new GS430?
  • Options
    Well,

From what i've seen of the interior shots (didnt get a good glance of interior @ auto show), I do not like what they've done with the gauges. I really, really liked the indiglo-type gauges in the previous version. The exterior is too.. understated? I'm not sure how to explain it, really. The back end is a mess, it looks too much like the ES in my opinion (which I truly hate).
    (Apologies for poor picture quality, phone camera)

http://box3.yewnix.net/gallery/album05/Picture244_06Nov04

The frontend is 'OK', but I truly dislike the grill they are showing in the concept, and hopefully it will be more substantial in the production model, although I don't think so (it looks cheap to me, finish wise)... the front lights appear too 'dramatic' as well, but not in the way they should be.

http://box3.yewnix.net/gallery/album05/Picture246_06Nov04

And looking at http://media3.motorcities.com/04A59093316597D.jpeg

I dont like the new rear overhang either.. seems unbalanced to the rest of the car.

Dont get me wrong, the car could be a lot worse off, but I am *seriously* disappointed (I dont think i'd even remotely consider buying it, personally, with the new styling). Perhaps it will grow on me, because Lexus make a *great* car otherwise.

Re: V8 AWD in this class, that's a true point. I just know nissan have the technology because they actively use it in the FX45, so I cant think of any reason they wouldnt make it available to consumers if no other reason to be the only ones to do it.

More of the design direction I'd like to see Lexus take is this:

http://www.autospies.com/NEWSLETTERS/11_11_04/Lexus/1.JPG

(Supposed LS430 concept). That's what i'm talking about. ;)

* update

Here's some more pics I found. I must admit, the colors make a HUGE difference, along with the rims which appear to also be larger.

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&t- opicID=57888&num=20&pageNo=1

I still dislike the grille...
  • Options
    jms9jms9 Member Posts: 17
    I know that on the FX the front suspension design was changed to accomodate the AWD system with the V8. Maybe this prevented the combination of the V8 and AWD in the M45. Infiniti probably wouldn't want to go with a strut front suspension on the AWD M45 and a multi-link front suspension on the AWD M35.
  • Options
    I was thinking this as well.. perhaps :(
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Nissan says the V8 and the AWD would not fit in the car.
  • Options
    Where from?
  • Options
    You actually liked those old gauges? Lol. Personally I despised them. Maybe its because I'm accustomed to staring at the traditional Lexus electro-luminescent gauges for so long, but I like the new ones a lot better. The interior of the new car is not as flashy as say the M45, but I like that they didnt go in the "appliance" direction of A6, RL, and 545i either. I would say that the '06 GS has the most elegant interior in the class.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I'd have to look around to find the quote about the M45 and no AWD, but I'm nearly 100% sure Nissan said that somewhere....
  • Options
    Which are you talking about? I'm saying I like the ones in the 98+ (but not '06)

What kind of L do you have btw? :)
  • Options
    What ever happen to the great panoramic sunroof type option that was shown in the original concept of the car? I know nissan make several variants of their sunroofs - why didnt they offer anything cool for this car, I wonder?
  • Options
    I was saying that I disliked the gauges in the '98 to '05 car. Particularly I was very disappointed in the interior of the '98-'00 car. Way too much plastic and vinyl, I think it was probably the worst interior of any Lexus. The '93-'97, while definitely dated looking, was a lot higher class. The '01 was a bit better, with the chrome looking trim around the gauge pods, but the center stack was still very weak, with very akward controls if you opt for the nav system. The normal interior department at Lexus must've been on vacation in '98, because the first run of the RX had a poor interior design as well. I drive an LS, with a side order of XKR.
  • Options
    The interior for 98-05 has remained unchanged largely to my knowledge? It has undergone minor trim upgrades/colors but nothing significant. I'm amazed to see you rate it as being poor, as it is normally ranked as one of the most luxurious interiors in its class in the reviews I've seen? I have never had a GS w/ nav although it was never impressively located from what I saw. My 2002 GS was a sport design which had perforated leather and the dark wood trim, which looked much nicer in my opinion, but again, did not significantly change the look of the car as a whole.

As for an LS - I'm assuming you mean Lincoln LS.. not sure what to say there ;)
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    He means the LS430.

The first RX interior was quite innovative... I think it was one of the car's strong points.

I'm afraid that Infiniti is going to make the same mistake that Acura did and not offer passenger seat height adjustment on the M. The spec sheet says 6 way power passenger seat. I take that to mean forward/backward seat movement, forward/backward seatback recline, and lumbar.
  • Options
    Innovative? I thought it was an ergonomic nightmare. Take a look at the two following pictures. The top one is poorly laid out, rather down market in appearance for an expensive car (though worlds better than the first ML320, ugh) with similarly sized, badly designed buttons and knobs that are near impossible to use without taking your eyes off the road to find them. The second is clean, attractive, upscale looking, simple, and functional, with actual buttons for radio presets instead of burying them (along with everything else) into the screen.

• Options
    Hi, jrock65:

(1)go to this link
    http://www2.nissan.co.jp/FUGA/Y50/0410/CONCEPT/SPECIAL/index.html
    (2) click on "Luxury in Fuga"
    (3) click on "Start Movie"
    (for a very short second) you can see the passenger seat control. It surely seems like the ones I have on my BMW 540iA. Mine does move up/downwards. Hope you enjoy it.

P.S. There are very much info of Fuga on this site if you don't mind the Japanese. Move the cursor over links and sometimes the URLs would give you some hints of what they are about.