Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    I have an 04 TL that's just a year old. How long before you experienced the seats bubbling? I don't have that problem...yet.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    My '04 starting showing excessive leather seat wear at about 5 mos. of ownership.
  • Options
    rickoricko Member Posts: 22
    Hi rogjah,
    first check lemon law requirements in NY and see if you have met them, if so file for arbritation through BBB, the number to call is in car manual. Second file complaint with the NHTSA and third join the class action lawsuit against
    acura for selling us a defective car, and don't give up and let everyone know you can talk to about this car and the defect acura will not fix.
  • Options
    greatbritgreatbrit Member Posts: 4
    Hi tedescm1,

Could you give us more details about some of these so we know what to look out for, thanks:

1) Poor Tires
    2) Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    3) Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    4) Defective Seat memory
    5) Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    6) Sagging Headliner
    7) Harmonic vibration in drive train
    8) Creaks and rattles
    9) Rattles from glove box (had to buy and install foam to stop the rattles)
  • Options
    tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Hi Greatbrit,

1) Poor Tires
    The tires flat spot in cold weather and also vibrate. When I first complained to the dealer, they told me to contact Bridgestone because Acura did not make the tires. After many letters and fights…they were replace.
    So far, Acura has replaced them once and rebalanced them four times. I also had then balanced by an independent tire dealer.
    · Tires are part of the vibration problem but I don’t know how it fits into the overall problem. When they wear out, I’ll replace them with something other than Bridgestone.

2) Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    · The leather on the passenger’s side seat was defective when I purchased the car. The leather did not fit correctly. I was dumb enough to buy the car with the promise that they would fix the problem. The replacement seat was almost as bad as the original….but they wear you down.

3) Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    · The driver’s seat is bubbling after 10k miles. I weigh 170 pounds. I’m not a big or heavy person….cheap seats in a 35K car.

4) Defective Seat memory
    · The memory seat kept losing its memory. They had to replace a chip or something.

5) Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    · The second gear in the trans was not getting enough lub so they installed some kind of oil pump to lub the 2nd gear.

6) Sagging Headliner
    · The headliner started to fall down. I took the car to two dealers who told me it was normal. Finally, I took it to a third dealer and asked a woman to look at it and she agreed that it should be replaced. It was replaced.. I had to fight to have them correct their problem.

7) Harmonic vibration in drive train
    · The driveline vibrates between 48 and 60 mph. I think it’s the auto trans but others have reported the same problem in stick shifts…go figure…something is wrong but I really do not know what!

8) Creaks and rattles
    · I have a crack, snapple and pop moble. When I hit minor bumps, the car rattles and creaks. The dealer said they are normal.
    ·
    9) Rattles from glove box
    o I had to buy and install foam strips and install them to stop the rattles in my glove box. The Acura mechanic also told me to rap electrical tape around the metal hinge to stop the metal to metal contact….notice they told me how to do it but did not do it themselves…..

9. When I first bought the car the car’s heater smelled like antifreeze….but nothing was leaking! This lasted about 5 months. No explanation from Acura….
    The salesman and service representatives have told me the car is perfect and I’m the only person complaining. They tried to make me feel like I was crazy. Maybe I am, I could have spent less on a Lexus ES 330.

I have to believe that the 05 models are better than the 04 TL’s but are you willing to gamble 35K to find out! This is my last Honda product.
  • Options
    What Class Action law Suit?
  • Options
    semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Man what bad luck. I agree with you I would dump the care asap and stay away from Honda altogether.
    Cant believe some folks keep buying a Honda product thinking things would get better in later yrs. Kick me once but not twice!!!
  • Options
    boylan82boylan82 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any electrical problems? i seem to have lost the ability to adjust in 2 directions on both side mirrors, the windshield washer, the auto dimm on the rear view mirror, and the auto-down on the side mirrors in reverse, driver memory for seat/mirrors and the auto-down in the driver side window. I checked the manual and these are on various fuses. Thoughts?
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Yet CR's most recent R. report had Honda and Acura right on top (even better than Lexus for a change). Might have been bad luck indeed. That said, ES does have higher-graded, more cushy interior materials than TL's, although TL is not bad on its own right.
  • Options
    The TL is a nice car but don't buy the first model year. This is a general rule but I thought it would not apply to an Acura....my mistake!

But, I’m really surprised at the cold and ambivalent attitude from the company. It’s like if you were stupid enough to buy an early model …well that's your tough luck!

The Acura Company has no class or pride....shame on them!

I have a lawyer and i hope to file suit!
  • Options
    jforknerjforkner Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I've been reading these forums for months now and I finally bought a 05 TL. I really like it but as many of these posting alluded to, the suspension is very stiff. After 500 miles I noticed a rattle/creek in the center console, particularly under the shift knob. Has anyone else had this problem. Acura said it's common and they're taking care of it as I write this. He said everything is apart right now, so I hope he's not making this worse!! =)
  • Options
    kgonakgona Member Posts: 1
    The "SRS" warning light on my '00 TL came on from last month. Does anyone have experience with this symptom? The car has never been in an accident and it has never given me any trouble at all....until now. If I want to fix the problem How much does it costs? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I have radio channels saved under AM/FM1-2/XM1-2... on my 05 TL and this morning, between some engine off and on, suddenly all saved channels were lost. I was like 'what the...', and then a few min. later, after a another or two engine off and on, it all came back. I could not figure out what I did to trigger that. Anyone ran into this before.
  • Options
    jforknerjforkner Member Posts: 3
    Got my car back! Guess there were screws missing in the center console! Who knew? Anyway, now it's tight as a drum-- lets hope that stays.
  • Options
    raulraul Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone run across these problems? My wife has an 05 TL Navi with less than 2,000 miles on it.
    The XM presets for both drivers all erased (they all went to channel 1) and the outside temp gauge on the drivers info screen is showing ---F.
    Any ideas? I love this car, but rarely get to drive it.
  • Options
    dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    "I had that same thing happen to me the first time I got the car home, programmed in all of my stations, and turned it off... the next time I turned it on, it was gone! I redid it and grumbled the whole time. It's kept it's memory ever since though. Strange..."

My 05 auto TL w/nav experienced exactly the same problem the first time I set stations. I thought O know not a defect. But I re-set the channels and its been more than 2 weeks and no further problems.

Still no vibration issue. I'm very happy with the car.

I put a black towel, which matches the ebony leather, on the driver's seat. After reading about the problems w/the leather I'm hoping it will prevent wear....
  • Options
    greatbritgreatbrit Member Posts: 4
    Thanks very much for the reply, sorry you are having so many problems. Very sad that Acura isn't treating you right, I think we all expected a lot better attitude from them than that.
  • Options
    semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Your Kiddng. You buy a $35000 car and have to put a black towel down so you dont wear out the seat??
    Something is really wrong here! Tell me it isnt so.
  • Options
    battrlbattrl Member Posts: 12
    We've had our '05 auto w/ nav for just about a week. I asked my wife if she had any problems with her presets and she claimed that the XM ones (only) reset every time she starts the car. Of course, when I used my key this morning, mine were still all programmed, and magically, so were hers.

I don't doubt that she had a problem once and she is going to watch it more closely from now on.
  • Options
    shel65vettshel65vett Member Posts: 1
    Tedescm1
    Are you aware of a class action lawsuit involving the vibration problem(s) associated with the '04 and '05 Acura TLs?
    David C. Sheldon
  • Options
    To Shel65vett,

No...i am not aware of the class action suit involving the driveline vibration in the 04 -05 Acura TL but i would love to learn more!

tx,

Mike
  • Options
    fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Geez, what a mess. I don't own an Acura now, but I do own 2004 Honda Pilot with navigation and I also purchased a 2004 FX35 AWD recently and both of them have rattling sound in them. I am just so pissed off. For the Honda Pilot the noise comes from the glove compartment and for the Infiniti FX35 AWD, it comes from the center console underneath the radio. So annoying, what is wrong with all these Japanese cars now a day, you think you are pay over 30k you might have trouble free cars, but I guess not.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Japanese car quality ain't what it used to be. You will find similar complaints even with Toyota and Lexus.
  • Options
    Save your receipts b/c you may need them in a law suit situation.
  • Options
    to 1Violinist,

I agree...the Japanese cars have lost much of their quality advantage. I purchased my first Japanese car, a Toyota Celica, about 20 years ago and I was just amazed at the fact that the car was so well engineered and it ran forever with no problems. I purchase three more Toyotas after that and they were all great cars.

Today is a very different story. We live in a Global economy and lord knows where the parts are made. As you pointed out, many foreign cars are made in the US.

I’ve never owned a German car but I hear they are very well built…. although they are very expensive.
  • Options
    Please provide me with the contact information on the class action law suit.

tx,
  • Options
    yrtl05yrtl05 Member Posts: 4
    I'm generally happy with my 2 mos old (2500mi) 05/AT/Nav since I don't have any vibration issues but there are some minor
    issues such as below that I'd like to share.

Rattles-
    LOTS of minor rattles in the cabin but mainly from the driver's side window currently.

Door/window compartment rattles internally-
    I can hear internal components rattling when I close the door. Either something's not tightened correctly or is a flawed design. And also, the door panel bulges when the window comes down, sort of like your stomach in inhale/exhale motion.

XM sets and other settings-
    I've lost my XM settings once and it didn't come back like some of you have stated. Outside temperature gauge is not working anymore, currently it's stuck at '-'. The 'Auto' brightness setting of my Navigation can't really tell if it's day or night. I have to switch it manually everytime.

Squeaky trunk hinges-
    The trunk door came misaligned and the dealer had to fix it but it's still somewhat reluctant to open/close (and squeaky, too).

That's all for now but I'll update periodically.

-yr
  • Options
    jmacohjmacoh Member Posts: 5
    I know this is the problem site....but other than two minor ones, the '05 Auto/NAV we bought in November is a great car. Had a loose relay that caused the rear window defroster to fail. Have had intermittent outside temp display. Not a big issue...I'm in Cleveland...I know it's cold! This is a really nice car gang! Sorry to hear about the issues with the '04. Guess I'm glad we were'nt in the market until the '05 came out.
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I sometimes get tired of all the negatives being said about the '04 TL. Based on Consumer Reports and all the reviews it is a very fine car and an exceptional value. I own one and have had virtually no problems with it - as compared to the Audi A6 I got rid of - it spent about 3 weeks of its first year in shop. No car is perfect and to expect it to be is to set yourself up for disappointment. My last Acura was a Legend (I can't remeber the year) and it too was a fine and reliable car.
  • Options
    yrtl05yrtl05 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to mention that my rear window defogger doesn't work well either. If you see a white TL with foggy rear window in NYC area, that might be me. How's everyone elses'?
  • Options
    "Your Kiddng. You buy a $35000 car and have to put a black towel down so you dont wear out the seat??
    Something is really wrong here! Tell me it isnt so."

No I'm not kidding. I don't know whether the towel is needed...but this leather wear issue does concern me. I owned a Lexus SC400 and the seat wear was noticeable after 95K. My next car was a CL. I have used a towel and at 115K there is no wear and the driver's seat looks close to new.

The PBS car show that reviewed the 04 TL at 30K only noted the seat wear as a real problem. There was something else about the mirrors that they didn't like but after owning the car I don't know what they were talking about. The rest of the review was a rave.

I remove the towel when I'm showing off the car.;)
  • Options
    crazydrumcrazydrum Member Posts: 2
    I live in Philly also and have a June- 04 TL 6SP Manual also and are having similar problems. I just back from Acura today to demonstrate again the squealing baking metal to metal noise when I apply the brakes right before I stop. I had the car in the shop 5 times for squealing and not fixed yet.
    Also, the right caliper failed and had no brakes for two days until I was able to fit it into the Acura dealership after they performed #04-119 Service Bulletin and it did not work. Lemon Law I need now and looking at the leather seats ---I am not sure if they are wearing and the tires suck in snow and asked them to look at them and they said that they are great but I need to take them to a Tire Shop to verify because it looks like the ends are wearing and they are lying.

It vibrates also 45-55 MPH at times really bad with the flat spot on the tires and sometimes not as noticeable.
    I NEED A DAMM GOOD LEMON LAW LAWYER....I purchased the car in NJ ( where I work ) and live in PA . Which State do I FILE FOR THE LEMON LAW ? Does anyone know ? PLEASE HELP before run out --only 10,000 miles
  • Options
    No offence intended, but I would question which looks worse -- wrinkly, saggy leather seat, or a seat draped with a towel?

It's sort of like putting a leather case on a cell phone. Sure, it protects the phone, but it looks the craps!
  • Options
    crazy88crazy88 Member Posts: 12
    Hello Fellows,

I have about 522 miles on my TL and I have no problems rattle, vibration, tires or Nav. Two things that I notice are:

1. Engine sounds kinda loud at idle. I would expect that it should be very quiet like you don't hear the engine at idle, but I'm fine with it if other TL are the same.

2. my mpg sucks. I expect to get around 24 mpg b/c I drive 65% to 70% on the highway but only get 18 mpg. Hopefully, this will improve later.

Other than that, the car is great! everyone loves it. I hope to do some customization in the future :)

-steve
  • Options
    "No offence intended, but I would question which looks worse -- wrinkly, saggy leather seat, or a seat draped with a towel?"

No offense taken. I'm the only one who uses the car and you get accustomed to the towel after a few days. I take it off if others are in the car. You can't see it from the outside. We can compare the condition of our driver's seats at 60K.

As for my cell phone, it's a throw away. I don't use a leather case. I get a new one every 2 years and the phone is worthless no matter its condition. Of course, that's not the case with a car.
  • Options
    I can see your point. The cell phone analogy probably wasn't too valid, as you pointed out.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    "Problems and Solutions." If one comes here to read, one would expect to read of problems and (hopefully) solutions. Therefore, if you only read this thread, the review of the TL would be somewhat skewed to the negative. Read all forums, note the number of posters and figure that into the number of TLs sold. Factor in Consumer Reports reviews/reliabilty ratings and all the car mag reviews. Overall, the TL is an excellent car and value.

After only two months and 2300 miles, I've had no vibrations and my leather looks ok. The side bolster of my seat has some wrinkles (none on the perforated leather, nor any filling coming through the perforations) but I expect that. Be sure to clean/treat your leather! My exterior thermometer blanked out once, right after I washed my TL with the temp in the single digits! Car was sooooo dirty I just HAD to wash it. I figure maybe the temp sensor froze post wash, it hasn't happened since. This is a great car (so far). My only complaint is the tires and if I choose I can solve that problem. No other issues, so while there may have been some issues with the '04 it looks like they've been addressed in the '05 (or so I hope!).

Like their owners, no car is perfect. Enjoy, and good luck with, your TL!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    dclkdclk Member Posts: 8
    I've been in/out of the forums for while and was really excited about the TL about a year ago. Since then the new Toyota Avalon has debuted and since I've driven/owned 4 Toyotas I'd like to stay in that family (yeah I know booo hiss). So I'm stuck between the TL and the new Avalon.

Anyway, I was wondering for all those that complain of vibration noise, do you hear the noise when your music is playing at a low/regular/high level or only when the music is off? I'm a music nut and rarely drive w/o any music playing at a somewhat above regular level.

thanks,

DClK
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    You can only partially block the buzzes and vibrations in my TL with loud music.
  • Options
    I know this (along with engine/VSA lights on at the same time while driving limited to low speed) happened to some 99-03 TL related to its tranny problem. Does anyone know of such issue on 04/05 TL as well?
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The JBL Synthesis system in the Avalon in no way compares to the superb ELS 5.1 DVD-A system in the Acura TL. The speaker quality is also significantly better in the TL. The DSP algorithm in the Avalon system does simply not result in life-like music the way the Scheiner system does in the Acura using DVD-A discs.

Otherwise, the Avalon is a very good automobile.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check this article for Lemon Law info:

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker
  • Options
    bud_foxx44bud_foxx44 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2001 TL, on occasion I hear a loud cracking noise coming from stereo, no it is not static, I know the difference and I hear it when I play CD's as well. I have had my radio and amp replaced but still it comes back from time to time.

What else could it be because the dealer has no idea?
  • Options
    jhoover4jhoover4 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have an 05 TL with Navigation. My outside temperature gauge has now gone out (---F) for the third time. Local dealer just resets it and sends me on my way. A call to Acura didn't yield any info. Anybody else with this problem?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Check where you put your cellphone. We had the same problem with our Accord until we found it was our cellphone interacting with our headunit.
  • Options
    kbrownkbrown Member Posts: 7
    I'm considering the 05 TL, but concerned about the LEATHER PROBLEMS. Is it fair to assume that the leather problems are no longer a problem with the 05?
  • Options
    bud_foxx44bud_foxx44 Member Posts: 31
    Gee, I will check that out. I think when I put my cell phone directly under my radio, I hear that noise and when I put it in my cup holder I don't. Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    slentinislentini Member Posts: 11
    My TL drivers side window makes a rattle noise when the windown is down and I shut the door. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what's the deal..Thanks
  • Options
    jlongojlongo Member Posts: 1
    Gentlemen, my wife and I test drove both Acura TL and Subaru Legacy. She liked the Acura more so I decided to go after the TL until I came across all the postings in this web site with respect to problems with TL !!!!

I am really shocked that there are so many problems such as tires, tranny, and so on. I have to check the Lemon Guide. I have the following questions:

1)Is everyone having problems with their 2004 TL?
    2)Have these problems been fixed in 2005 TL?

I am really worried now to purchase this car !

TLK
  • Options
    To Jlongo:

I own a 04 tl and have had nothing but problems with the car. Right now, my case is with a lemon law lawyer. The Acura company has been very difficult to deal with because they tend dismiss most problems or ignore them. To them a driveline vibration is “normal”.

Some people on this board have stated that the 05 model is free of most problems. I really do not know, but I imagine that they have worked out most of the bugs.

The most serious problem is the driveline vibration at speeds of 48 to 60 mph. Some folks say it’s been resolved however; the Acura case manager is spoke to say it was not resolved. He went on to say that they are working on a fix.

Perhaps you should ask your Acura dealer to let you drive the car over the weekend and see if you really like it. It's really a good-looking care but I think the quality is just mediocre. It does have a rather stiff ride.