Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My dealer felt "bad" but did not do a darn thing except offer free alignment if I got new tires. Called Acura and received the worst customer service I have experience from any car company. Own 3 Acura's and will not be a future customer. They don't seem to care.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,584
    All they (Acura service) did was balance my tires and pretend that it (vibration) is a non-issue. Again, poor poor customer service.
  • irehs123irehs123 Posts: 2
    Well I did not have much luck calling Acura directly. I explained to them that at 13,500 miles my car will not pass inspection due to the tires being worn. They said that is normal wear for high performance tires and they will do nothing about it. I explained to them I knew of others getting the tires replaced and was told there must of been some other problem. What exactly was the complaint made to them and any other info that you can provide that might be helpful.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    Tires vibrate and flat spot.

The people at Acura are really great until you have a problem........then they don't return phone calls.
  • 1violinist1violinist Posts: 338
    Is the vibration problem confined to the automatic? Anyone with the 6MT experiencing vibration or any other problem?
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Posts: 42
    I have experienced no vibration problems with my 6MT after nearly a year of enjoyable ownership. Also, no squeeks except for glovebox (fixed), and no tire problems due to my switching out the tires at the dealership when new. If you want a car that will provide you with a fun driving experience, with no hassles due to automatic shifting patterns, I highly suggest the 6MT in the TL. Why be bored while you drive?
  • stickymanstickyman Posts: 53
    I have a 03 TLs that has developed a very squeaky front end. Hit the brakes it squeaks, hit a bump, it squeaks...it is not the brakes.
    Any idea? Bad Struts or bushings?

I'm sorry to hear about so many issues with the new TL; this has me looking at the new Avalon.

good luck to all

Stickyman
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,258
    I don't really think there are "so many" issues with the new TL. It has received nothing but great reviews/long term magazine test reviews. A few owners on these boards, unfortunatley, seem to have some issues. I'm sure you can find issues on any board/any car.

Granted, I've only had my TL for a couple of months, but no issues to report. A neighbor has an '04, he traded in his '99 TL and has no issues or complaints. He loves TLs.

Just give the TL a good, long test drive or two (or more?) and then decide.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• igibanigiban Posts: 530
    No vibration on my 05 TL-5sp either. I do hear squeaks at times when driving over rough road, but not on smooth one. For those who get rattles or squeaks do you get it even when driving on smooth surfaces?

Even my smoothie ES can give me squeaks, granted only on a really rough surface. TL is more sensitive to bumps, and the harder interior materials seem to bring some squeaks more easily on bumpy roads.
  • dojadoja Posts: 19
    I read the posts on this board for about 5 months prior to purchasing an 05 auto w/nav. I was very worried about the "vibration" issue.

I've have owned the car for about 8 days now and I have not experienced any vibrations. The only reason I'm posting is that I'm sure many potential TL buyers read the posts on this forum. So for what it's worth I have put the car through its paces and detect no vibration.

BTW, I mentioned the vibration issue to the salesman and, of course, he seemed genuinely surprised. But he let me test drive the car for over 25 minutes on many surfaces. During the test drive once I reached 65 I dropped the speed down to 35 numerous times and then accelerated to see if I noticed a vibration. No vibs...so I bought it.
  • jpla49jpla49 Posts: 13
    What's up with the 04 TL? Everyone I've looked at has a bubbling seat problem, especially on the drivers seat. I was disappointed especially after hearing so many good things about this car Why would a entry level luxury car be fitted with such cheap leather? Can anybody tell me if it's improved in the 05? The new ones I look at seem to be better. Does anybody know if Acura has a fix for the 04 bubble seats? I can save a lot of $$ purchasing an 04.
  • rogjahrogjah Posts: 1
    I am in New York ...I am having similar problems with my 2004 TL ...what do suggest.

Rogjah.
  • tpacar79tpacar79 Posts: 23
    I had an 04 TL and took to arbitration over seats and won they r buying back the car... the 2004 seats are not designed well in that their is additional stitching to prevent bubbling, this is corrected in 2005 seats overall the leather quality in acura is [non-permissible content removed] compared to rivals lexus and infiniti but you do pay more this is some of the reason acura can offer a substantial price on their cars they chinse out on items like this.... the dealers AND manufacturer will do nothing FOR YOU with regards to leather and if if you r lucky and they replace it will happen again... unless u r saving i mean mega thousands go for an 05 TL you will be happier with the second year for many reasons Acura will not recall the seats even though they corrected problem because they will lose money and since its not a safety issue the customers get screwed :) Acura Client Relations #1 in SEFVICE lol what a joke....
    Agree with you. My 7 mo. old TL's seats have been showing excessive wear for 2-3 mos., and was given the "normal wear" response. Interestingly, my G35 Infiniti showed wear after three years (bought early '02, an '03 model), and Infiniti recently replaced both front seats with close to 40,000 mi. on the car. This is why Infinit/Nissan will get my business again and Acura will not.

(BTW, I am not obese or hard on things and have never had a prior seat wear issue on over 30 cars in the last 10-15 years.)
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    I purchased my 05 TL automatic (no nav) last December. I currently have 5800 miles on it and no problems to date. No vibrations, rattles or squeaks. Leather seats are holding up fine at this point.
    congratulations....you might have gotten a good one.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    As far as the leather seat is concern, I think he may have gotten THE good one. :)
  • loguelogue Posts: 1
    I have an 04 TL 6MT that currently has 3,000 miles on it. So far, I have had new rotors- due to a squeeky brake right from the get go. Balance of tires, rebalance, and finally new Turanza tires put on the car. My vibration, starting at about 45mph to 60mph is worse than before tire replacement. I got this car as a 2nd car because the need to have a fun car ( like previous Prelude) but that could fit the whole family. I am very frustrated because the vibration ruins the whole ride. I do not drive the car much because it just makes me angry about the "luxury car" that has a ride worse than my Honda Odyssey. I am beginning to consider the Lemon Law, and arbitration sounds as if it may be the only way to "give back" the car , or have it replaced with an 05. Does anyone have any experience or advice?
    I thought only automatics had the vibration problem at 55 mph!...guess i was wrong

I have a 04 TL and have had nothing but aggravation with the car. To date I have had the following problems:

Poor Tires
    Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    Defective Seat memory
    Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    Sagging Headliner
    Harmonic vibration in drive train
    Creaks and rattles
    Rattles from glove box (had to buy and install foam to stop the rattles)

Constant lies and deceitful conduct from salesman and service representatives stating that they never even heard of the cars problems…according to them the car is perfect and no one except me is having problems.

I finally got fed up and asked for an arbitration hearing. Before I could get to a hearing I spoke to an attorney friend and he advised me to get a lemon law lawyer. He said the arbitration hearing was a joke.

I’ve sent all my documentation to a prominent Philadelphia lawyer to see if I have a case. His initial comment was that Acura does not have to provide you with a perfect car. As far as the vibration is concerned, it’s a touch and go situation. If the vibration is pronounced and very noticeable you have a case. If the vibration is minor you may not have a case. My lawyer is going to have a car expert drive the car to determine if the vibration is bad enough to file suit.

Bottom line is that I may be stuck with this piece of Junk.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    no vibration problems with my '04 manual. I have bridgestone potenzas - don't know if that matters or not.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    I have an 04 TL that's just a year old. How long before you experienced the seats bubbling? I don't have that problem...yet.
    My '04 starting showing excessive leather seat wear at about 5 mos. of ownership.
  • rickoricko Posts: 22
    Hi rogjah,
    first check lemon law requirements in NY and see if you have met them, if so file for arbritation through BBB, the number to call is in car manual. Second file complaint with the NHTSA and third join the class action lawsuit against
    acura for selling us a defective car, and don't give up and let everyone know you can talk to about this car and the defect acura will not fix.
  • Hi tedescm1,

Could you give us more details about some of these so we know what to look out for, thanks:

1) Poor Tires
    2) Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    3) Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    4) Defective Seat memory
    5) Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    6) Sagging Headliner
    7) Harmonic vibration in drive train
    8) Creaks and rattles
    9) Rattles from glove box (had to buy and install foam to stop the rattles)
    Hi Greatbrit,

1) Poor Tires
    The tires flat spot in cold weather and also vibrate. When I first complained to the dealer, they told me to contact Bridgestone because Acura did not make the tires. After many letters and fights…they were replace.
    So far, Acura has replaced them once and rebalanced them four times. I also had then balanced by an independent tire dealer.
    · Tires are part of the vibration problem but I don’t know how it fits into the overall problem. When they wear out, I’ll replace them with something other than Bridgestone.

2) Defective leather seat, which they replaced.
    · The leather on the passenger’s side seat was defective when I purchased the car. The leather did not fit correctly. I was dumb enough to buy the car with the promise that they would fix the problem. The replacement seat was almost as bad as the original….but they wear you down.

3) Drivers seat is now showing wear after 10k miles
    · The driver’s seat is bubbling after 10k miles. I weigh 170 pounds. I’m not a big or heavy person….cheap seats in a 35K car.

4) Defective Seat memory
    · The memory seat kept losing its memory. They had to replace a chip or something.

5) Badly designed Transmission (2nd gear and oil pump)
    · The second gear in the trans was not getting enough lub so they installed some kind of oil pump to lub the 2nd gear.

6) Sagging Headliner
    · The headliner started to fall down. I took the car to two dealers who told me it was normal. Finally, I took it to a third dealer and asked a woman to look at it and she agreed that it should be replaced. It was replaced.. I had to fight to have them correct their problem.

7) Harmonic vibration in drive train
    · The driveline vibrates between 48 and 60 mph. I think it’s the auto trans but others have reported the same problem in stick shifts…go figure…something is wrong but I really do not know what!

8) Creaks and rattles
    · I have a crack, snapple and pop moble. When I hit minor bumps, the car rattles and creaks. The dealer said they are normal.
    ·
    9) Rattles from glove box
    o I had to buy and install foam strips and install them to stop the rattles in my glove box. The Acura mechanic also told me to rap electrical tape around the metal hinge to stop the metal to metal contact….notice they told me how to do it but did not do it themselves…..

9. When I first bought the car the car’s heater smelled like antifreeze….but nothing was leaking! This lasted about 5 months. No explanation from Acura….
    The salesman and service representatives have told me the car is perfect and I’m the only person complaining. They tried to make me feel like I was crazy. Maybe I am, I could have spent less on a Lexus ES 330.

I have to believe that the 05 models are better than the 04 TL’s but are you willing to gamble 35K to find out! This is my last Honda product.
    What Class Action law Suit?
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    Man what bad luck. I agree with you I would dump the care asap and stay away from Honda altogether.
    Cant believe some folks keep buying a Honda product thinking things would get better in later yrs. Kick me once but not twice!!!
  • boylan82boylan82 Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any electrical problems? i seem to have lost the ability to adjust in 2 directions on both side mirrors, the windshield washer, the auto dimm on the rear view mirror, and the auto-down on the side mirrors in reverse, driver memory for seat/mirrors and the auto-down in the driver side window. I checked the manual and these are on various fuses. Thoughts?
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Yet CR's most recent R. report had Honda and Acura right on top (even better than Lexus for a change). Might have been bad luck indeed. That said, ES does have higher-graded, more cushy interior materials than TL's, although TL is not bad on its own right.
    The TL is a nice car but don't buy the first model year. This is a general rule but I thought it would not apply to an Acura....my mistake!

But, I’m really surprised at the cold and ambivalent attitude from the company. It’s like if you were stupid enough to buy an early model …well that's your tough luck!

The Acura Company has no class or pride....shame on them!

I have a lawyer and i hope to file suit!