Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    ljay2ljay2 Member Posts: 9
    I have to sound off about the comparison of Lexus and the TL. I've had my TL for 3 mos., an '05. My previous car was a 1995 Lexus SC300, which I kept for 10 years. The transmission difference is amazing. The Lexus upshifted with no more grace than an ordinary car, and its downshifts, occurring at the sightest attempt to speed uup, were jarring and aggravating.(Not to mention unnecessary.) My TL shifts seamlessly, and only by watching the tach can I sense it selecting gears, up or down. Right now, I'm very satisfied.
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    A TL shouldn't be compared to a Lexus. Unless the TL comes standard with $10,000 cash in the glove box.

A base Toyota (you mean Camry/Corolla) compared to the TL? Where are you from? The Toyota marketing department?

Go read the Lexus transmission problems discussions.
  • Options
    semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Have a 05 TL. Anyone know of any specials that XM may be offering. Getting ready to renew my subscription. I think I paid 6.95/mo last yr. Wondering if there are any new specials better than the 12.95/mo.?
  • Options
    tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I bought an 04 with a driveline vibration. I't hard to believe they are still having problems.
  • Options
    You are correct...it is the shift point in tranny
    The ______at Acura will not change the shift points.

What they have done is developed a Vibration Damper to cover up the vibration. I had it installed in my car and it only changes the frequency of the vibration.

They have had this problems since 04…when will they fix it?

How many people have to waste $35k before they fix the car?
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much a 04 tl is worth on a trade?
  • Options
    billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Check Kelly Blue Book.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    post all your info here
    Real-World Trade-In Values

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    bquadagnobquadagno Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone here have the Window Vent Visors on the 05 TL.
    So i don't get wet everytime it rains, and i try to open the window?
    Thanks, All I am not sure if their made for this car yet or not.. did not check yet at the parts store..

Bob
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    And now a word from the other side of the coin:

My TL: No vibration
    Dad's TL: No vibration
    Bro's TL (although an '03, does it count?): No vibration
    Friend's TL: No vibration
    Neighbor's TL ('04): No vibration

Now this is the "Problems and Solutions" board so I'll acknowledge that some TLs may have a vibration issue (or wicked sensitive drivers!), but I've yet to meet a TL that has had the issue.

About, what, 6k-7k people/month spend ~$35k on a new TL and they haven't fixed this major, well-known problem? Hmmmm.

No "Harmonic Vibration." I'm sensing a pattern. If mine does start hamronizing though, I'll post.

Sorry your TL vibrates as it really is a fine automobile.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905

My 06 TL - no vibration
  • Options
    mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    MY 05 TL has slight vibration from the engine when cold (might even be described as a very slight irregular stutter), then its smooth when warm or while driving. This occurs at idle in park or in gear at a stop, again only when cold.

Does anyone else have this? I have always assumed this was normal operation due to a cold engine.
  • Options
    strokeoluck1strokeoluck1 Member Posts: 37
    I have an '05 TL with about 7,000 miles on it. This summer I had some sort of slight vibration in the car. It was somewhat challenging to pin down but it normally happened in the first five minutes of driving, going slightly uphill and at speeds of 40-55 mph. I used to average 50,000 miles/year so I know this wasn't in my head.

It wasn't a big deal to me but I did ask the dealership to check it out when I took it in for the first oil change. They didn't find anything. Now that cold weather is upon us I don't notice it much. I just figure it will either go away over time or it will go away when I swap out tires in a few years.

Overall I absolutely love the car. I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat.

- Rob
  • Options
    paolopaolo Member Posts: 13
    I’m curious about the validity of the complaints here at this forum. Each car make has certain characteristics. If I were to drive up the coast using the Pacific Coast Highway I would definitely drive the Acura TL. If I decide to take my clients on a quick bite to eat at Beverly Hills, I would take the Lexus ES330. Don’t expect Acura TL ride and drives like a Lexus ES330. Each has its own characteristics. You may have to sacrifice luxury over performance.

The TL is the bread and butter of Acura. I just could not imagine Acura will ignore these claims.
  • Options
    How 'cold' are you talking about? Minnesota cold or SE US cold? I'm in NC and it doesn't get real cold here much (usually only cold in the morning) and I haven't experienced any vibrations.

Don't all cars 'vibrate' to some degree?
  • Options
    The whole "Harmonic Vibration" legend could simply be perception. Sure, there is some degree of "vibration" in all cars. But do we notice? Ted's TL and my TL may vibrate in the exact same manner but I just don't notice it given expectations of this car and past experiences in other cars. I definately noted the smoothest, quitest ride in the Lexus ES and felt the handling was tighter in the G35. But, the TL was the best combo of the two. Best looking, too! Lexus does do nice interiors, imho.

A pronounced "vibration" for the first few minutes in cold wether could be the tires "flat-spotting." According to these boards, and I believe my experience, the Bridgestone Turanza's seem to have this characteristic. Once underway, after a couple of miles, the tires return to round. Or maybe this is another "legend."

Bottom line to me: TL is a smooth, powerful, economical, excellent handling, handsome car. Great stereo, too!

Oh, yeah. I'm New England cold. Which it ain't right now.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    I live ni the desert southwest so not terribly cold. This is probably in the 40-50 degree range in the morning or if the car has sat for 4+ hours.

This is also related to the engine or the mounting dampers, not tires. It is only notable when the car is cold and stopped.

This has nothing to do with the HV discussion, just wondering if this warm-up very slight stutter is common.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498

Hmmm...scientific study, huh?

Consider yourselves lucky. You can buy another Acura; not me.
  • Options
    "Hmmm...scientific study, huh? "

Nope, not scientific. Just the best real-world observation I could come up with at this moment in time. YMMV and obviously your's does. Too bad, it doesn't matter what brand, not getting the car you expect/want stinks.

And, yes, I am lucky. My family is happy and healthy, we live in one of the best countries on earth and we love our cars!

On the flip side, well, the Pats ended their season too early and in a most distressing way... But pithcers and catchers soon. Go Sox!

Good luck with your next set of wheels, carnaught. What are you considering?

• Options
    It amazes me that you pick this'harmonic vibation' crap to dis the TL. Go read any other discussion board about problems with any car, and you'd wonder why anybody would buy any car.

I wonder the same thing as laurasdada. What car could possibly be out there for you that isn't getting picked apart and slammed in these discussion boards?
  • Options
    cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Those of you who don't have any issues ought to take it a little easy on others. I understand you don't want to hear complaints about your car, but many of these are valid and afterall that is what this forum is for. Just because you don't have the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I for one purchased my TL 3 months ago with the full knowledge of this board that the problem may exist. My car does in fact have the vibration. Is it something that will make me get rid of the car? No. Would I buy it again? Yes. I knew about it and considering the alternatives still chose to get the TL. It is a great car but not flawless. I understand those who would like to find a fix for the problem and absent Acura coming up with something, sharing experiences is a good way to narrow a problem down.

So it you don't like hearing about the alleged problem, leave the problems board.
  • Options
    tmacetmace Member Posts: 5
    Hey! I am new to the Acura TL family. So I am just looking for some advice. I bought my A-spec in November and I have put less than 3k on my new tires. They are already slick! Is this a common problem with the Type S due to the floaty suspension? I love this car to death but I can't afford to buy new tires every 3 months!

Please help!
  • Options
    My bluetooth doesn't seem to be clear on the receiver side. No one likes for me to call them on my bluetooth because they say I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. Is everyone else having this problem? Also when I tell it to dial a number it takes atleast 10-12 times! That is ridiculous!
  • Options
    jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    My car does in fact have the vibration.

If your car does have the vibration, can you elaborate on what vibrates? Are people talking about, when the car shifts into OD, or 5'th gear, the minor hum from the low revs? Is that what's being debated here?

If so....c'mon now. Is that a real problem? I too bought my 06 TL wary of this issue and went looking for it in my test drives. Its not like the whole car vibrates or the steering wheel vibrates or the center stack buzzes or so on. To me its a non-issue.

All cars get nit picked on these boards. Its kinda silly.
  • Options
    jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Its gotta be your service provider or a handset issue. My Motorola phone with SunCom/Cingular service works great, sounds great, and works well. Its an excellent feature.
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194

My 06 TL - no vibration

My 05 TL - no vibration at all.
  • Options
    Thanks for your quick response! Don't get me wrong, I love the feature! I just want to be able to use it! I don't think it is my service provider. It could be a bad microphone?
  • Options
    tljotljo Member Posts: 5
    Took me a very frustrating week
    and help from the dealership to
    learn the right rhythem for bluetooth.
    Talk as soon as you hear the beep, if you
    hesitate while saying the number it will
    not get everything. If you are dialing
    a number that you would dial 1 to start, like 1-800-
    DO NOT say the 1. Just practice and try
    not to get frustrated as this seems to
    make it worse.. Good luck !!

P.S. You'll love it once you get the hang of it.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That can't be right. No tire should last only 3K!
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You have both an '05 & '06 TL?! :surprise:
  • Options
    ro22nero22ne Member Posts: 13
    Live in New England and handling in snow is important to me. How does the TL perform? thank you.
  • Options
    cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    The vibration I am talking about is the 50-60mph vibration from what seems to be flat spotted tires. It goes away within 5 miles of driving or so. It is very pronounced and can't be missed even by someone who enjoys a sporty ride. It is not a matter of being used to sporty rides or anything like that. It is like having both front tires severely out of balance. If you drive at low speeds in the neighborhood for a couple miles you may never experience it. The only way to feel it is to go pretty much straight to highway speeds. This would make it pretty tough to duplicate for the service tech I imagine. Again, I think it is unfortunate, but I'm not regretting the purchase over it.

The other "vibration" I have is related to the exhaust manifold or some type of heat shield. It sounds like the engine is pinging or knocking. The service tech said there is a service bulletin on it and I've also heard some folks say the shield can be bent to stop the vibration. This problem occurs between 1500-2500 rpm.

Nothing serious, but if anyone knows of the fix, it would be great.
  • Options
    blueracerblueracer Member Posts: 2
    The flat spotting is caused from the nylon overlay on your tires. It was worse when tires had nylon ply rather than polyester, but can still be an issue with HP tires with nylon overlays. Nylon contracts with heat and thus is great for high performance tires (the overlay provides stability by counteracting the forces trying to pull apart the tire at high speed). The downside is that until the tire warms it may be slightly out of round. Some tires exhibit this more than others, but it is an issue with all nylon overlay tires.
  • Options
    It amazes me that you pick this'harmonic vibration' crap to dis the TL.

First of all where did I personally pick harmonic vibration to dis the TL? Next, this IS a board to express ones feelings about problems with the TL. If you don't like hearing about it or are tired of defending the brand, skip this board.

I realize that all cars have their problems and are not perfect. However, I have had the fortune of owning many luxury vehicles in my time and in comparison, I am 0 for 3 with MY luck with Acuras. My standards may be a lot higher than others on this board who staunchly support the brand because I've owned so many other high end brands perhaps compared to the others here.

Moreover, I have pointed out in this forum (actually ad nauseum) that it is not so much the ride quality, plethora of rattles and buzzes from the car, and premature wear of the interior, for example, but Acura's poor attitude in dealing with my issues. They simple call these things "normal", balance the tires (in the case of my ride complaint) and in general haven't dealt effectively with the car.
  • Options
    Hi, another New Englander here:

It depends on the tires. I have an '05 non-nav TL with the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires and these are very poor tires in the snow. I've yet to be stranded, but earlier this year it took me 15 minutes to get up my inclined 50' driveway! The FWD, traction aids, snow driving experience and luck have gotten me where I'm going in the white stuff so far after 1.5 winters with the TL, but I'm definately not pleased with their snow performance.

Unless I am ultimately not able to overcome these tires snow deficiencies, I'll let them live their useful life, but will replace them with better rated in the snow all season tires. I've always driven FWD for the snow advantage (I'm a skier), so this poor snow performance is really something I'm not used to.

How long have you lived in NE?

• Options
    I wish that it wasn't right! It is weird, the tires are wearing straight across. So I am puzzled as to what it could be. I am taking it to the dealership on 1/31. The tires are 30-40k tires.
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    My advice: Take your Acura with 100K miles to a mechanic that is recommended by friends and neighbors.

I own an '00 Acura Integra (and plan to upgrade this year in order of current preference to TL, Maxima Se or G35).
    I bought the Integra used from an Acura dealer in early '02, and after its first major service swore off the overpriced Acura dealership. I asked around and was lucky to land an honest, competant mechanic. I have had him do brakes and assorted other maint. and repairs in addition to state inpections. I was apprehensive at first taking the car to a non-dealer, but I now feel totally comfortable with this and I have saved a lot of money. :) For convenience, I often have oil changed at Valvoline/Jiffy - there is rarely a wait around dinner time. My mechanic also services my Honda Odyssey. My dealers' (Honda and Acura) recommended service intervals are more agressive than the car manuals (some of Edmunds' long term car posts note this as well) and Honda products should not be high-maintenance!
  • Options
    ro22nero22ne Member Posts: 13
    thinking may go with a highlander (snow, fuel eff., size-can get third seat) or an Audi (snow and near luxury)
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    A little off subect (sorry) but I did test drive Highlander but decided to consider cars only since truck cannot compare. Highlander's 3d seat (potential advantage) is a joke for anyone past 4th grade. Ride is nice going straight, but if you enjoy driving, boring vehicle. Read the mid-sized SUV boards.
    RE snow - I live in MA and 3 coworkers of mine have TL's (all '04s); have not had specific snow discussions, but all love their cars and recommend them highly. One said "it goes like hell" (a former late 90's Maxima owner).
    I'll post if I can get some useful snow info from them.
    Decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    kaushikgkaushikg Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2005 Acura TL with 6.5K mile on it. Recently I noticed a couple of minor chips on the hood and deep scuffs on the metal beads that cover the front grill and tip of the hood. I was surprise the metal sheet could be so malleable that it would scuff this way. Took it to the Acura dealer in Austin and the service guy did not bother to look at it and passed it off as something that will happen during usual course of driving.

Now, I was thinking of going for a clear bra i.e. a film manufactured by 3M. Has anybody used it and how good is it? How much does it cost and is it advisable to get it done from an authorized dealer? Also, does the paint get damaged because of this film?
  • Options
    billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Thanks for the info.
    I have the Falkens on my 03 TLS (the OEMS were garbage-Michelins)and when the car sits overnight the tires look they are punctured in the mornings. I almost went to a tire shop to have them repaired but after they warm up the tires instanly becomes round again.

Thanks again for the explanation.
  • Options
    tlsharktlshark Member Posts: 21
    what ive noticed is that most of the tl drivers in the states have complaints about their cars but the canadian owners have very few. but its not like our cars(canadian) were made in china they were made in the states 2.strange :confuse: i know there are some minor differences in the model they send to the to canada, but the problems you drivers say you have should be atleast on all models... :confuse:

if had the option and could have afforded it i would have bought my acura TL directly from China, their model looks a lil better :)
  • Options
    The car has a vibration problem...mostly in the 04 and 05.

Acura has investigated the problems and has developed a
    Vibration damper to attempt to mask the problem…. I’ve had it installed in my car!

Do you think Acura would develop a vibration damper if the problem were imaginary?
  • Options
    Is there a TSB out on this issue for the 06 TL?

Also where on your vehicle has this damper been installed?

Thanks man
  • Options
    Does this "fix" work?
  • Options
    ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    Did the damper make a difference?
    Did your vibration go away after about 5 miles before the damper?

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    The answers to the questions are as follows:

1. There must be an official TSB to tell the tech how to install the vibration damper. i believe it's a silent TSB. They are not advertising the damper...i also understand it's on backorder and you may have to wait.

2. I believe the "fix" does not work. It only changed the frequency of the vibration. The only way to really fix the problem is to change the tranny shift points.

3. I was told the damper was installed near or on the motor mount. It's supposed to isolate the vibration and keep it out of the cabin...IMHO it does not work!
    One might ask: what are the long-term consequences of a vibration on the drive train…it can’t be good!

This problem is real…it’s not imaginary. I’ve noticed some posts that state the vibration is not that bad…I would agree if this were a 7year old $1K junker… but on a brand new 35K car it’s just unacceptable.

Also, the car has a rather stiff ride and poor low profile tires. The combination of poor tires, and a stiff ride mask the vibration on many road surfaces. The vibration is really noticeable when you are cruising at 55 mph on a new road surface. In this situation, the stiff ride and poor tires do not factor into the equation. In this situation, you only feel the driveline vibration and it’s very noticeable in the steering wheel and foot well. It feels like the car is lugging…which exactly what is happening. If you downshift to 4th, the vibration goes away. By the way, my service adviser suggested that I drive the car in fourth gear thereby eliminating the 5th gear vibration…. now that’s thinking out of the box.

By the way, I described the problem as a driveline vibration… Acura chooses to call it a "harmonic vibration". It does have a softer friendlier feel…it almost has a happy musically quality!

I recently had an 05 Acura loaner and it also had the vibration as well as a badly faded dash.

I do not know if the problem is present in the 06 models. I would hope it's been corrected.

Good luck to all of you...it's been a very frustrating experience and i am very disappointed in Acura and Honda. I always thought they cared about their customers....my mistake!
  • Options
    Yea - whatever
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I have the 3M Clearmask on my Maxima. I highly recommend
    it,and to me is well worth the price. To have the hood, bumper, mirrors and lights done cost me ~$500 4 yrs. ago.
    Also, it was installed by a professional. This is NOT a do-it-yourself installation unless you have experience.

Go ahead and have it installed. You won't be sorry.

ps: The film is removable at any time and will not damage
    paint. Btw, it still looks great after 4 yrs.
  • Options
    rockinrnrockinrn Member Posts: 16
    The 3M film you speak of will protect your paint. However, when I leased my '05 TL I did not get the film because the top edge of the film on the hood leaves a dark dirt line (my car is pearl so it would be very noticable)that does not come off. If you have a darker car it may not be so noticable.