Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• gregfromnycgregfromnyc Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to the pointer to the demo, that did offer some more info.

>LX AWD since last November and it goes great in the winter in
    >the hills and valleys of central PA.

I often make winter trips to Lancaster, etc, and once off turnpikes, winter conditions are similar enough to what we get here in greater NYC area often, though minus issues of hills. So if the dealer has mislead us on his offer on the 4WD and the price is still only interesting for FWD, our question is how do you think you would fare in central PA winter with FWD automatic trans model? Perhaps another way to phrase is that in your situation, do you feel Tuscon's 4WD essential for PA winter (maybe you're reason being it's safer), or more along the lines of that it's "just great to have"?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    how do you think you would fare in central PA winter with FWD automatic trans model

I would probably fare OK, but I do like the extra peace of mind the AWD gives me. I used to drive an 01 PT Cruiser, and I got around OK during the winter, but there were times the past winter that I went out in the Tucson that I would have stayed home if I still had the PT. :)

If you get the FWD model, make sure you put winter tires on it and I am sure that with the TCS, ESP, ABS, etc, you will more than likely do fine. Especially if you don't have to deal with the up and down of hills like I do in the Laurel Highlands of PA.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't even know if your model has ABS brakes; my van does and it makes a shudder every time I leave my driveway. If you aren't used to the self-test feedback it sounds like a problem. And it always happens when I first hit ~5 mph.

You're on the right track - check your manual to rule that out.

Anyone?

Steve, Host
    The PT is neat. Chev is now doing an HHS I believe based on the same designer. We test drove it last week too and it seems like a nice vehicle, and my wife really liked it, but I'm almost 6 feet and it was tight for me and couldn't imagine driving it in a coat. So the Tuscon won out, but HHS would be nice to have as a second vehicle.

Winter tires? I've had other cars come with them already and I just kept them on all year. Does there seem to be any winter tire recommendation wrt brand for the Tuscon? Does it matter if just front or back or should be all?
  • nakeydognakeydog Member Posts: 30
    To see if you have ABS just look for the ABS light on the instrument panel when you start the vehicle. If you have it, it will light up for a few seconds and then go off. :)
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    I wanted an auto dimming mirror with the compass and temperature features installed on my Tucson GLS. I checked on two different mirrors, the Donnelly/CIPA one and the Gentex/MITA one. According to two different installers in the Buffalo area, neither one is compatabile with the Hyundai Tucson mirror mount. I asked about taking off the factory mount and installing a compatible mount, but the dealers would not do that as they were both afraid of cracking the windshield. The owner's manual however, does show a Gentex style mirror as an option, but a call to Gentex/CIPA didn't help. The local Hyundai dealer does show a replacing Gentex type mirror but no hardware?? Anyone have an answer to this?? Thanks
  • ysheldonysheldon Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for Tucson roof rack cross rails. Tried other brands (Thule and Yakima), didn't like the look, so decided to purchase Hyundai genuine parts. I noticed that the price for Tucson cross rails is $170, but similar rails for Santa Fe is only $100 or cheaper. Since these two vehicles enjoy similar specs, I am wondering whether Santa Fe cross rails work on my Tucson without too much work. Does Anyone have similar experience? Appreciate any feedback.
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    I do have ABS, but see no mention in the owners manual reference self-check or noise, and the dealership didn't mention it either. If you own a Tuscon with ABS listen and see if you here it. Thanks.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    The Kia Sportage LX has a mirror like you want.

Check their dealers or a new LX to see if it the same.
    I have a 2005 Tucson LX with ABS and there is no noise on mine. :confuse:
    Thanks for the info....I'll check with the Kia dealer and see if that will fit my Hyundai. Will let you know the outcome...
  • eddie11eddie11 Member Posts: 1
    Wish you were in Pensacola,FL. I would be willing to give you the cross rails from My wife's Tucson.Unfortunately the only one they had on the lot that was her color (Alpine Frost) had the roof rails already on it.After the first washing, I knew they weren't for me. I haven't figured out how to get them off but will have them removed when next at the dealers.

Incidentally, I've been buying cars since 1946 and the dealer in Pensacola, Allen Turner Automotive, provided me with the most positive buying experience I've ever had.Gave $17865 for 2WD GL Auto less an exceptionally good trade on the wife's 2000 Dodge Intrepid.So far,(only 1000 miles) this is a great car.If it holds up we'll be going back for another.

Eddie
  • rootyrooty Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Hyundai Tuscan. When driving home from the dealer the front end started to wobble. I brought it back and they replaced a front wheel and checked the alignment.
    Also, when I come to a stop , either a stop or a red light , the steering wheel vibrates along with the seat and drivers side door. Now the vibration is not huge. I put a glass of water on the wheel and can see ripples being made from the vibration. I put the car in reverse and the same ripples appear. I put the car in park and the ripples disappear. It is more in line with the motion of the engine. It's noticeable to me and somewhat annoying. Like I mentioned I only feel it when the car is stopped and still in drive or reverse.
    I had the front end alignment checked and they took care of that.
    I am going to the dealer again to test drive another tuscan to see if it behaves the same way.
    Anyone experience the same situation?
    :confuse:
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Just took my daughter's 05 Sonata to Hyunday for its first oil change. The service rep said Hyundai used a Quaker State blend of natural & synthetic oils -- 85% is synthetic. We bought a Tucson Aug.1 and have about 1,000 miles on it already, so our turn for oil changes is coming up. I looked on the Quaker State Web site, but couldn't find much info on synthetic blends. I'm using Mobile 1 in my '93 Nissan Maxima, because my mechanic used it and had absolutely no problems. I'm wondering if the synthetic blend will be as good for the 2.7L V6 in the Sonata and Tucson. The Hyundai service rep also said an oil change with the blend was about $25, and one with Mobile 1 was $60, which is exhorbitant.
    To njerald: I called Northtown Kia, the local Kia dealership and asked about the auto-dimming mirror on the Kia Sportage, and if that would fit my Hyundai. He checked his parts book and couldn't find anything on this mirror! I guess my best bet is to wait for a while and see if either Hyundai or Kia will sell the mirror and the hardware later on.....Thanks again for your input....
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Have you checked the one available for the Sonata? It's auto-dimming with the compass. I don't think it has the outside temperature display however.
    To guyf: Thanks for the reply. Next time I'm at the Hyundai dealer, I'll check with the parts department and see if they can give me any info on the Sonata mirror...
    I've got 800 miles on my front drive, 5 speed manual Tucson. My last tank with a mix of city and highway returned 22.2 mpg or 10.6 lit/100 km. I drive fairly fast so it is not bad at all. It is still improving, I will report as I get more miles.

I bought this for my kids to use but I'm the one putting most miles on it! Engine is smooth and quiet, suspension and steering are spot-on, radio is very decent as is seating. On a long trip I still prefer my XC90, but around town that's the one I use!
    How does one determine what the mpg of their last tank was??
    That's easy. First fill up your tank to the max and reset the trip meter. Use your car and wait as much as you can before you fill up again, the measurement will be more precise that way.

As you fill up, note how many gallons were required. Take your mileage indicated on the trip meter and divide by the number of gallon used.

Voila! Miles per gallon!
    Not only easy but obvious. It just seemed folks were doing something "more scientific" (like some display info in the car I wasn't aware of or something), and also avoiding running out of gas :)

Anyway, I'm not so no sure how to guage the room for error here, but of course, iit's all one has to go on....
  • thaasthaas Member Posts: 5
    Couldn't figure out how to post so I thought I would just reply to my own email. I am now negotiating on Tuscons and CRV. My lowest so far is 19,475 out the door. I am a little confused-am I supposed to try for getting invoice price out the door or just as a base? Trying to figure out if this is the best I can get. I live in so cal.
    It's unclear from your post what is $19475 (DRV or Tuscon, and which one with what), hence it's unclear if it good deal or not. Anyway, get things clear with the dealer. I've recently posted how my numbers changed 3 times from the same dealer, including when we went in for contract signing. I don't think we got ripped off, but in the end it probably was not "a good deal" just an average one.

Also, since purchasing the car, I tried edmunds thing to email 4 local dealers. One never responded. The 2nd only sent an email saying hi and have yet to provide any information whatsoever. The 3rd sent ebrochures on 2 subsequent days and kept telling me to come in instead of answering my specific questions. The 4th I'm actually still speaking with, since I was figuring on doing this to find maybe a better price on a 2nd Tuscon, but they are just spoon feeding me info, and worse, making the numbers they provided ambiguous. Unfortunately, and in some ways oddly, I think except for Hyundia of Manhattan, these are the only dealers for some 100 miles in New York City, who I should really email now that I think of it.

So I guess I'm just saying watch out, which no doubt you're doing already.
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    We've had our Sierra Red V6 Tucson GLS since Aug 1, and we've put 1,500 miles on it without any long trips. Mostly stop-and-go traffic. I get to sit in the passenger's seat while she drives (Been looking for one of those old Fisher-Price plastic baby toy dashboards with the steering wheel, gear shifter and the funny little beeping horn so I can also be part of the driving action...). She says we're getting over 21 mpg. I'm thinking that should improve a bit as the miles roll on. Love the car. No squeaks or rattles, no overwhelming road noise.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • thaasthaas Member Posts: 5
    Its 19475 on the Tuscon
  • bobg65bobg65 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my 4 Cyl 5 Speed Tuscon 8000 miles from the NY to Oregon and back. Over the trip I averaged 26 MPG (70+ MPH on most thruways). I also found that wind resistance is a major contributor to the mileage. I got much better mileage in the high altitude states of Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana than in the lower altitude states. I also am very suspicious of ethanol because when I used it in Iowa and Nebraska I got by far my worst mileage (22 MPG). I am very satisfied with my Tuscon in most respects. I found that the odometer is off by 3% (you have driven 3% further than it says, so my milage was actually 26.8 MPG). I also am not happy that two levels of my wiper intermitent settings have no perceptible delay.

BobG65
    On which model? It's not bad for an LX but for a GS could be. Also, when you say "out the door" does that means taxes, etc? Where does the Hyundia rebate fit in?

In our case (~10 days ago, 200 smooth mile since :) ) we had to pull teeth to find out the deal was not as stated (words were always clear, what was written was always ambiguous), and still got a different story in a finance manager's office on the day we got the car.
    I have not yet gotten to drive my Tuscon in the rain, but the wiper seems like it is annoying at best, tell me it ain't so??
    We can't believe we've driven 200 miles, and actually had a conversation yesterday on the way home that our odometer might actually be like 90% (9/10's of a miles it is recording like 1 mile). We don't have any of those "mile starts here" markers around that I know of. Anyway, what is supposed to be the odometer tolerance of cars (Tuscon in specific if such a stat exists)?
  • ejayjayejayjay Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed a chemical-type smell coming out of the vents when the air conditioner is on. The dealer says they can't smell anything so nothing has been done ... but I can really smell it especially after riding for awhile. Anyone ever had or heard of such a problem? The vehicle is about 3 months old so I don't think it's any new car smell.
    Why? Whats wrong with your wiper? Mine is fine. :P
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I had the same issue when my Tucson was new, but the smell went away after a short time. It seems that the smell came directly from some of the plastics giving off some gas. After they "cured", the smell went away. Hope the same happens for you. :)
    The intermittent wipers on the Tucson are speed sensitive; the delay between 2 wipes will be shorter the faster you drive. In the shortest delay setting, you have a slight delay at a stand still and no dealy at all as soon as you exceed 10 MPH or so. I like them the way they are. My 01 Santa Fe was the same btw.
  • vfloydvfloyd Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know of a manufacturer of side bars for the Tucson? I want to get some black ones that are well made and that you can actually use to step on. My wife is short and has a weak hip. Also any idea on cost would be appreciated.
    Have about 2000 miles on ours now. Only two problems with ours so far. One of the horns was bad, and it pulled to the right a bit. Both were fixed. Love the ride, but hope the milage goes up some more.
    Thanks....Van
    :D
    On say the lowest speed, the blade will stop say all the way to the left.

Also, in say the mode where you just want to wipe once (where you lift the control up once), it will also just stop once it springs back, hence I have to keep bopping the control multiple times for the blade to be reset in its resting area (meaning you miss it and have to try 2 or 3 times for the blade to be in the resting area).

I'm assuming this is not normal behaviors, and that I have bum wipers and should bring the car in?? (These both get compounded by that "every time" I go to use cruise control I mistakenly touch the wiper controls.)
  • mugsysmommugsysmom Member Posts: 1
    I bought my black Tucson in February when it was cold. Now with the heat of summer, the molding on the drivers side door began to pull away and would stick in the door when I tried opening it. I brought it in thinking they would just reseal it quickly, but an hour later they called me out and said the molding was "deformed", and they had to order a new one. Apparently this black plastic molding does not come colored, so when they received it, they had to send it away for painting. It took 2 weeks before I got my car back! Also, after having the car a few months I noticed a large stain on my garage floor. It wasn't oil, but it turned out to be some other kind of powertrain fluid or something that had a bad seal. It was leaking from the day I drove the car out of the dealership lot. These kinds of things make me wonder about the quality control Hyundai has. Someone needs to be checking these cars more closely before they're moved out to be sold.
    Although after ~2 weeks we are still pleased with out Tucson purchase, I have noticed a few corner cuttings, even though it's packed with features, and did notice compared to say a Blazer that the door molding is a much much flimzier and expect when it gets freezing around here in NY City on one of those days it will rip off when opened. That is a real bummer that it took 2 week for that! Hope ours stays on!! :)
  • pcatch135pcatch135 Member Posts: 8
    I need some help. I would like to buy some cross rails for my Tucson. I have checked on line at some of the Hyundai online accessory part stores. Two of the stores list the rail twice. One store has the rails connecting to the side rails without the extra side piece, I am on the Tucson parts page but it states it is for the Santa Fe. Will they fit? If not has anybody installed the other ones. I bought the mudguards and the information on the install from this site was right on. Thanks for all the help.
    I think all Hyundais are like that as it worked like that on my Tiburon too. :D
    Yeah, something is wrong with your blades. It is covered and wont cost you anything. :)
    Sorry you are having ahard time with your new Tucson :( . The molding is painted, because I was able to wax it. If you get wax on regular plastic molding it wont come off. But you can wax this molding and it comes right off. :)
  • lmjtuxlmjtux Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Alphine Frost GLS 2WD in April (Los Angeles) for a great base price of $17,700 which included my $750 customer loyalty bonus. I still have a 1988 Excel GL. I love driving it but am extremely disappointed in the mileage. My average is about 18 which is a mix of city and highway. It seems like every other Tucson owner is getting better mileage than me. If I do all city then it goes down to 17 and the very best highway is 22. I am not a hard driver and have always gotten good mileage with my cars. I also have a RAV 4 which gets about25/28. Has anyone had a problem with a loose break line which of course leaked fluid? I did get it fixed but dealership customer service hasn't improved much since the late 88s. All in all, I love my car and don't regret buying it that is until I have to put gas in it.
  • lmjtuxlmjtux Member Posts: 3
    I am a little nervous now about the molding after reading the posts. I will have to check my out. It seems to be okay so far.
  • mfunkatronmfunkatron Member Posts: 6
    I have had the same gas experience with my 2wd GL. It is extremely frustrating. Part of the reason that I purchased the Tucson was the EPA mileage estimate. Which coupled with the warranty made the Tucson very appealing.
    The other frustration has been that the CD player has had to be replaced twice. The first time it took 4 monthes (!) for the replacement to be delivered. Then that brand new CD player jammed after 2 weeks. The one that I have now seems to be legit, although I don't use it that much because I don't want to deal with the hassle again.
    Overall, I have not been impressed with Hyundai, and I hope that my mileage gets better as I close in on 10,000 expensive miles.
  • lushingtonlushington Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone, i am looking at a new tucson,,here in canada the mileage for the awd lx V6 auto is rated at 8.8L/100kms hwy and 12.3L/100km ,,this to me seems really good but i am curious if it realistic,,the price i am being given is 28500 out the door, i realize that the tuscon is a new model but how is the resale value of a four year old sante fe?
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Just a tid-bit for those interested in purchasing the Tucson: the LX will be replaced by a "Limited" trim for the '06 model-year. The Tucson LTD will sport body-color bumpers - the main reason buyers gravitate to the GL (other than improved fuel economy).

Mike
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the new info. Do you know if there will be a newer, faster engine added to the '06 Tucson? Also, will the GLS model keep the gray side-cladding on the bumpers like it has now? That is one of the reasons why I am interested in the Tucson, since it doesn't scratch as much as regular paint!

Thanks for your help!
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    To my knowledge, the GLS will retain the unpainted cladding and bumpers. Concerning powertrain, I wouldn't expect the 2.7-liter Delta-II (197-hp V6) or 2.4-liter Theta (162-hp 4-cylinder) to show up on the Tucson until next year's '07 model. A turbodiesel is probably at least a couple of years away.

I'll give you more information as soon as I get it. :)

Mike
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    Update

Now have 2,000 miles on the vehicle, still makes the noise, dealer has been no help. Also radio reception is very poor(ant. is set correctly), dealer says its normal. Fuel mileage averages about 22mpg so far in mixed driving. While I like the Tucson, I'm beginning to have serious doubts about Hyundai providing any type of warranty service unless a part actually falls off the car. A big selling point is the warranty and so far my experience has been very poor and makes me question my purchase and the reputation of Hyundai service.
    You will never get this mileage with the V6 awd. I used to have a Santa Fe and my mileage average was around 13L/100 km. Resale value for my 2001 GLS was not too good. Got 11K from a dealer for a car that I paid 30K 4 years ago, 109K km. Good shape but not perfect.

We are now running a Tucson 4 Cyl, manual transmission, FWD and best mileage so far is 10.5 L/100K. The car is still new however, less than 2000 Km.